Nintendo Crushes Fans' Hopes for Notable Wii Localizations

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Nintendo Crushes Fans' Hopes for Notable Wii Localizations

Fans had hoped to help bring a few significant Japanese Wii games stateside, but Nintendo just says "no."

While the Wii suffers from a lack of interesting releases in North America, Japan has been getting titles like The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora's Tower. Each is a respectably to highly-rated game and published by Nintendo, making you think the company would be jumping to release them in North America, but it isn't. Unfortunately, even a focused fan campaign hasn't been enough to convince Nintendo that the west wants these games.

The campaign, dubbed "Operation Rainfall," was started to help push Nintendo in the right direction. The first phase focused on Xenoblade, asking participants to call, email, Facebook, Twitterize, and generally pester Nintendo of America about localizing the Wii RPG from the developer of the PS2's Xenosaga series. Fans also pre-ordered the game off Amazon under the previously announced name of Monado: Beginning of the World, making it top the best-selling videogame list on the site, and it still remains on the list as of this writing.

Nintendo responded to Operation Rainfall, but not quite in the way that fans had hoped. On its Facebook page, Nintendo wrote: "Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say 'never,' but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

Nintendo is somewhat notorious for its staunch anti-localization stances on certain Japanese titles with cult followings (*ahem* Mother 3). A western domain for The Last Story, a Wii RPG designed by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, was registered, but that's happened before with other games that nothing ever happened with. The most maddening part is that The Last Story and Xenoblade have both been announced for Europe, though with region-locked consoles they still won't make for an easy import. I'm holding out hope that at least one of these titles will make it to North America in the near future, but if they don't it'd be a major shame.

Thanks for the tip CursedSeishi!

It's almost as if the gods ordained Nintendo to have my Wii collect dust.

Haha yoshisummons is a polytheist

Well it is good to see that another group of fans gets to experience disappointment at the hands of Nintendo of America.

Are you guys surprised ? don't you know how many gamers demanded Mother 3 ? and for how long they were demanding ? and it's still a Japan only game.

Not surprised, but that's a pretty messed up response, promising an update like that just to say no. Why not say no then and there instead of doing this false hope announcement crap?

Rude!

And some people wonder when I say the Wii is a useless piece of shit; Nintendo keeps all the good stuff to themselves unless it has Mario, Samus or Link in it...

They are keeping these titles so they can sell them to you on the WiiU. They need a good lineup and they know fans want this so its easy for them to screw over people.

Tom Goldman:
The most maddening part is that The Last Story and Xenoblade have both been announced for Europe.

Wait, what? I understand not localizing them at all due to a limited audience, but if you're already localizing them in several languages across Europe, why wouldn't you bring the English version to North America? This is why digital distribution needs to grow. If there's an English version for Europe, it would be trivial to make it available in North America as a digital download.

Good ole' xenophobia. Scared that their precious gems will be tarnished by dirty foreign hands?

Xenophobia? More like Nintendo of America being lazy. It's stupid, since Nintendo of Europe is doing all the heavy lifting (i.e. translating from Japanese into five different languages). It's easy money for Nintendo of America.

But why do I care? I'm British. We're getting both.

I hate you Nintendo. I have nothing else to say. I wanted to see The Last Story and then you guys give me a giant middle finger.

I wish they'd just bring them to America just so you'd all shut up about them.

Seriously, what is it with Americans and un-localised games? If ever anything doesn't release in your country, you start a hundred protests, while anyone in another country would just make do without. Heck, us British didn't really care about japanese console games at all until they started bringing them over in the late '90s.

I had to laugh over this.

What they are probably doing is waiting for the WiiU.

"Hey you know those three titles you really wanted on the Wii? Now you can get them on the WiiU as launch tittles! Yay us!"

...And people will fall for it..

uh, shouldn't the headline read "Nintendo Responds?". Fuckin' hyperbole, one of the main banes of the gaming community

Tom Goldman:
We never say 'never'...

Ninty has Bieber fever hurr hurr.

Sorry.

Well, It's all up to third party publishers now.

Ignition! Marvelous! XSEED! We need your help!

Pretty dumb move. If these games have a big enough fanbase eventually a hacker will release a localized version and nintendo will make 0 on it.

Companies are stupid if they think they can segregate the world into marketing zones. That shit don't fly anymore, just release it everywhere. The data will move whether the "ip owner" wants it to or not.

Just go to gaia online or even 4chan. There are a ton of weeaboos who would be willing to do all the translation for free.

"Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say 'never,' but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

"Nope, you get nothing. Remember to love us, suckers!"

They're already translating it to English! What's stopping them from bringing them here? I get it. Nintendo thinks Americans hate JRPGs. And they're right. But as stated before, enough people have interest, and they're translating it to English, so what is there really to lose by bringing it to the States? Yes, they'll be niche titles. Yes, people will still mock the Wii. Yes, Americans will still mostly hate JRPGs. But these are thousands of sales that are being rejected here. If they at least allowed imports, I wouldn't mind so much. But it's being translated in English, but unable to play on American Wiis. Just get the British version and distribute it in American stores. Simple enough. NOA barely has to do aynthing. This just boggles the mind.

If these are 3rd party games, it might not be Nintendo's call.

Maybe Americans would buy RPGs if we got good ones like this instead of worthless crap like FFXIII and whatever "Ateliar Iris" is.

Nintendo, stop failing.

canadamus_prime:

"Each is a respectably to highly-rated game and published by Nintendo"

Nintendo has an embarrasingly stupid corporate leadership. A group of morons who have no understanding of the importance of their 'core gamers. One day the people will leave the shitbag that is nintendo behind. I stopped buying N products years ago, this is just one of the reasons why.

canadamus_prime:

MonolithSoft is owned by Nintendo, and all of their games have been published by Nintendo, so I doubt we'd see Xenoblade in any way if Nintendo says no. The Last Story is developed by Mistwalker and published by Nintendo, but I don't know if that means another publisher can step in. Pandora's Tower came out recently in Japan and you would be unlikely to see a localization notice this early on, but heck, why isn't Nintendo pushing for some variety on the Wii? These aren't as universally popular games as Mario or Zelda, but the market has been good console jRPGs. Seems like no one will take a risk on the big three consoles even though the Wii is not exactly expensive to develop and publish for.

Does nobody at Nintendo think that repeatedly doing this might lead to their fans to STOP being "such great fans"? This is a disturbing sign; sure they (might have) learned they can't be complete jerks with other companies, but they can do whatever they hell they want to their fans as long as they crank out another Mario game. Right? Right?

xyrafhoan:
The Last Story is developed by Mistwalker and published by Nintendo, but I don't know if that means another publisher can step in.

The game was developed my MW, but Nintendo owns it, similar to how Microsoft owns Trenched.

Can anyone explain what on earth Nintendo is thinking with this one? I mean, they make billions each year, so they are are not exactly newbies when it comes to the economical aspekts of the videogame industry, but in this case it allmost sounds like they are flat out saying "No thanks fans, we don't want your big bag of money". I mean, what the heck?

Ashadow700:
Can anyone explain what on earth Nintendo is thinking with this one? I mean, they make billions each year, so they are are not exactly newbies when it comes to the economical aspekts of the videogame industry, but in this case it allmost sounds like they are flat out saying "No thanks fans, we don't want your big bag of money". I mean, what the heck?

I think it has to do with how hard Sin and Punishment bombed in the US.

JediMB:

canadamus_prime:

"Each is a respectably to highly-rated game and published by Nintendo"

Ok then, never mind.

xyrafhoan:

canadamus_prime:

MonolithSoft is owned by Nintendo, and all of their games have been published by Nintendo, so I doubt we'd see Xenoblade in any way if Nintendo says no. The Last Story is developed by Mistwalker and published by Nintendo, but I don't know if that means another publisher can step in. Pandora's Tower came out recently in Japan and you would be unlikely to see a localization notice this early on, but heck, why isn't Nintendo pushing for some variety on the Wii? These aren't as universally popular games as Mario or Zelda, but the market has been good console jRPGs. Seems like no one will take a risk on the big three consoles even though the Wii is not exactly expensive to develop and publish for.

Well so much for my theory.
If that's the case it does seem strange that Nintendo won't localize these games. Certainly this fan campaign shows that there is a market for them.

DrakeLake:
Not surprised, but that's a pretty messed up response, promising an update like that just to say no. Why not say no then and there instead of doing this false hope announcement crap?

Rude!

My thoughts exactly.

BlueHighwind:
Maybe Americans would buy RPGs if we got good ones like this instead of worthless crap like FFXIII and whatever "Ateliar Iris" is.

Oh, stop joking. With many huge publishers pouring their money into funding and advertising First-Person Shooters, JRPGs don't get a chance to shine even if they're good. Not to mention what these publishers produce influence part of the general demand, intended or not.

Note: Atelier Iris is on the PS2, it's not published by Nintendo, and, while not great, certainly not low-quality. I should know; I've played the game for tens of hours.

Soviet Heavy:
Good ole' xenophobia. Scared that their precious gems will be tarnished by dirty foreign hands?

I think you're mistaking Nintendo with Namco. ...Hopefully. But it's not like the Western gaming community is welcome towards JRPGs either. (Or perhaps it's the US gaming community? EU seems more accepting of RPGs and Japanese games in general, as far as I've observed.) From that perspective, I can understand why they'd hesitate to release a game of such quality/reputation to a region which might not appreciate or support it as much as it deserves.

I will forgive all of these gaffes on Nintendo's part on two conditions: Mother 1 + 2 and Mother 3 localized for the US already. I know it's not going to happen but I can still hold out all the angry hope there is.

And this is another reason why my Nintendo Wii has been collecting dust for years. Nothing, nothing of worth comes out for this system...and I love Nintendo. It hurts to say that... :<

Why does Nintendo hate money?

Maybe they got sick of watching their consoles print it. IS THAT WHY YOU HATE MONEY, NINTENDO? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT?

If so, I'll gladly sacrifice myself and take some of that money off your hands. Aren't I selfless?

Kopikatsu:

Maybe they got sick of watching their consoles print it. IS THAT WHY YOU HATE MONEY, NINTENDO? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT?

If so, I'll gladly sacrifice myself and take some of that money off your hands. Aren't I selfless?

Because gamers, despite saying they WOULD support said titles, will inevitably find excuses to chicken out of buying them hoping that someone else will pick up the slack for them, proving that gamers are little more than a bunch of whiny, hypocritical, gutless, meek crybabies who don't deserve nice things.

Aiddon:

Kopikatsu:

Because gamers, despite saying they WOULD support said titles, will inevitably find excuses to chicken out of buying them hoping that someone else will pick up the slack for them, proving that gamers are little more than a bunch of whiny, hypocritical, gutless, meek crybabies who don't deserve nice things.

Well they suck, then. I'm stuck with importing games from Japan, and I couldn't read Kanji to save my life. (I can read a VERY SMALL amount, but Japanese is a very confusing language with many variations. Like Chinese. OH GOD CHINESE IS HORRIBLE.)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here