BioWare Asks Fans About Showing Tali's Face in Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

No

Wait let me rephrase that.

F**K NO!

tacomonkey 360:
Just make Fornax magazine a real thing and we all will know what Qurians look like. Also im curious as to what Salrian, Krogen, Turian females look like. Two game and we still havent scene any.

In fairness, it is mentioned in the background entry for the Salarians that it's extremely rare for females to leave their home planet, and that the female Krogan are off on their own in a seperate safe area the one time you go to their home world. So it's not THAT odd you've never seen females from those races (although, I think there is a female in the Krogan compound in ME2), but yes, you have a point about the Turians.

Also, the idea of them taking off their suits on the (newly reclaimed) homeworld wouldn't work. The reason they wear them is because they've spent so long living in completely sterile environments that they've a very, very weak immune system and would be just as vulnerable to bacteria from their own planet as from anywhere else these days.

I'd rather not see Tali's face myself. For one thing, different people will be expecting different appearances, so no matter what they make her look like, BioWare will be pissing a lot of people off. Second, not seeing her face is part of the fun.

Landis963:
The option should be there, IMO, but only if you romanced her in ME2 or ME3. If they do this, however, It should not be predator/dr. Zoidberg, it should be something that one could find beautiful. Not "space elf", I have a bit more faith in Bioware's character modelers than that cliche, and besides, the asari already have that covered. Tweaking the placeholder would be a good place to start, IMO.

This is the option that I am most in favor of. When I first played ME2, a big reason why I romanced her was because I thought I might get to see her face. A little disappointed that I didn't but she is still one of my favorite characters.

Part of me wants to know and the other part wants it to remain a mystery. It should definitely be a choice, out of romance like you suggested, so it isn't inevitable and people who don't want to see it can skip it.

If they do let us see her face and I decide to look, I hope it doesn't look too human. Someone on DeviantArt drew a concept art of her and she looked really creepy as a mostly human-being, besides the difference in hand and foot digits. If the Quarians end up looking humanoid, but still distinctly different like Asari, then that would be fine with me.

Considering it's the end of the series, it would need a strong, provoking finish. Showing her face, provided you show it right, gets a definite thumbs up for me.

Also wanna see that smexy Krogan Princess, mm.

If they revealed any quarians, I would get the game on that premise alone because right now I don't really have any desire to buy ME3.

kayisking:
I do think they should leave her mask on. It's simply impossible to please everyone so this way nobody is annoyed.

86% said that they wanted to see her face, and at least 8% are massive fans of the ideia and the games.
How is not revealing her face not annoying anyone?

I say show it. First reason, a mistery is only as good as itīs resolution. Something that stays a mistery for ever gives origin to all kinds of stupid theories and multiple factions, and itīs better to reveal it before it turns into some ultra-fighting between the superfans of the series. Second reason, guys, this is bioware! How many times did they let us down (Dragon Age 2 not included).
And third reason, 86%, man! It will create a fucking riot if they donīt show her face!

A couple of other people have already said it, but I'm gonna add my post as well anyway. Don't show us Tali's face, but show us an example of what a Quarian looks like without the suit.

You know, i think they should make it an option.

While some people might not like it because it would break immersion a little, but they could just add a Y/N during the cut-scene where he removes her helmet? And it either shows her face, or just does what it did in ME2 and show her from the back of the head.

Sure, it might take you out of the game a little, but if someone doesnt want to see her face, dont punish the people who do x:

I like the idea of showing what Quarians look like, but not Tali specifically.

It would be a total cop out to not show a Quarian's face. So what if everyone isn't going to be happy? Since when is that a good reason? Let the creative people create, I say.

I don't think they should show her face. Tali is interesting and mysterious because we don't know what she looks like.

Id like to see baterian, krogan, turian, salaian, volus, elcore, and maybe even vorcha females, added in this game along with the option on weather or not to show talis face. Come on bioware.

I want to see her face just to know what the Quarians look like as a whole. Or just any Quarian face for that matter.

Off topic, but some people's extreme love for Tali is a bit more then creepy.

They've played the mystery card so it would be a cop out not to at least show us what Quarians look like, if not Tali. This is something to take seriously. It isn't Dr. Claw or Carlton the doorman or any number of comedic characters we hear, but never truely see.

If you have reservations, think of it this way: better to get it done now than in some Mass Effect expanded universe side project ten years down the line.

I'd say show it and have it be ugly just so I can laugh at everyone who romanced her.

I think it's obvious that the Mass Effect franchise will continue in some form or another after Mass Effect 3..... and if they ever plan on showing us what a Quarian looks like, it should be in the main series by Bioware instead of a possible spin off by another developer.

... I wouldn't mind seeing what Tali looks like. But I don't think they should. I'm fine not knowing, and I think it's better to keep the mystique. Teasing is much more interesting... because once you've seen it.. that's it, the fun is over and all the mystery is gone... no more imagining what could be.

But like I said, showing us what Quarians actually look like may not be such a bad thing... there's still a tease element to it.

don't want to know,

the great mystery of life is boring once you know the truth

I agree with what someone said in the Facebook responses - show us what another Quarian looks like under the mask, but keep Tali's face hidden. That way, we get to keep our own ideas of what Tali may look like, but we still gte to know what an actual Quarian face looks like.

On a somewhat related note, have we seen any screenshots showing an environment other than Earth yet?

They should just sell it as day one DLC. Many nerds are pathetic enough to pay through the nose for something that harbors the possibility of being fap-worthy.

Case in point: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bioware-social-forums.php

Daystar Clarion:

SteelStallion:

Daystar Clarion:
What amazes me about the whole 'what do Quarians look like' situation, is that you'd fucking think there'd be photos lying around, since, you know, they do occassionally take their suits off.

We should know what Qurians look like in general, but what Tali looks like? I'm not sure...

Thing is, how many Quarians have you seen in Mass Effect? Tali and a few random ones on pilgrimage. They aren't very common. They're a very, very reclusive case for many reasons, having next to nothing as an immune system being one of then. It's already been said that they pretty much only take their suits off to like, mate, or take care of a newborn.

Unless some curious bugger murders one and takes their suit off I don't imagine there being many photos.

Surely there would be medical studies on the subject though? Diagrams, that sort of thing.

It's not as if Shepard really has looking for pictures of Quarians high on his priority list.

I really hope they'll leave the idea to our imagination, personally.

There are a number of things I think Bioware has to do while the series is still in their hands. Because if they don't there's a good chance some one else at EA will, and badly. This is one of those things. While the idea of having a talked about and yet still mysteriously unseen quantity in your story is a cute one (think Columbo's wife) it's a universally repeated scenario that the more scrutiny that a subject receives the higher the chances are that someone will take it upon themselves to pull back the curtain (think columbo's wife), To the chagrin of the original creators. With mass effect set to become a franchise in both games and film beyond Bioware, it seems unlikely that Quarians or female Turians will remain concealed forever.

NeonWraith:
In fairness, it is mentioned in the background entry for the Salarians that it's extremely rare for females to leave their home planet, and that the female Krogan are off on their own in a seperate safe area the one time you go to their home world. So it's not THAT odd you've never seen females from those races (although, I think there is a female in the Krogan compound in ME2), but yes, you have a point about the Turians.

Well said, or should I say: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN.

Necromancer Jim:

Daystar Clarion:

SteelStallion:

Thing is, how many Quarians have you seen in Mass Effect? Tali and a few random ones on pilgrimage. They aren't very common. They're a very, very reclusive case for many reasons, having next to nothing as an immune system being one of then. It's already been said that they pretty much only take their suits off to like, mate, or take care of a newborn.

Unless some curious bugger murders one and takes their suit off I don't imagine there being many photos.

Surely there would be medical studies on the subject though? Diagrams, that sort of thing.

It's not as if Shepard really has looking for pictures of Quarians high on his priority list.

I really hope they'll leave the idea to our imagination, personally.

How do you know he doesn't have a copy of Fornax hidden somewhere in the Captain's Quarters, eh?

Distorted Stu:
I want her face looking human... but completely upside down. Just for shits and giggles.

In all seriousness i want het face to remain secret. The less i know the better. I love a mystery.

Really? I just want her to have a HUGE mustache under the helmet. That would be fun

Personally I don't want to see Tali's face, but some other random Quarian, just so we know what the quarian race looks like under their suits, but not Tali's face, I want that to remain a mystery.
Same goes for the krogan females, we've never seen one of those either

EDIT: ... and a female Salarian

Lame explaination 1:
Quarians are dopplegangers.
That's why they're wearing suits.
It's in fact the best way to identify each individual.

Lame explaination 2:
Just like Asaris, Quarians mess with the observer's psyche to max up their appeal.

Lame explaination 3:
Tali's face will be shot via Kinect only, eventually givning it a purpose.

Shymer:

shadowmagus:
Well, at last check on FB, the numbers were as follows

19965 (86%) in favor of, 3276 (14%) against.

Now, I don't know the twitter response, but this isn't "predictably mixed" in my opinion. This gives a decent response from the community, but that's just my take on it.

Every serial writer knows that as soon as the tension of the unknown is gone, the show ends. Alred Hitchcock is frequently referenced when discussing the difference between surprise and suspense. I think it's relevant here.

People enjoy stories for suspense. The whole point is that you care enough to want to know the answer to a question posed by the story. The way a Quarian looks is one element of ME's dramatic tension. It has worked - clearly people WANT to know if they have engaged in the story. However as soon as Bioware decide to show us - suspense over, the surprise won't last - and everyone walks off somewhere else.

My view - I like the ME story and want elements of suspense to continue. Don't reveal unless it means the conclusion of the Quarian story - or the creation of additional mystery.

I saw those Facebook numbers too.... The problem is that those numbers shouldn't be taken at face value by Bioware (no pun intended)... if they even bother looking at it of course. They shouldn't blindly follow those votes..

Reason being, I think most of us WANT to see what Tali looks like. I think most people voted in favor because they've teased us thus far, and now we want to see her face.... and why wouldn't we? Of course we want to know what's underneath. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll all be happy and content once it's over.

...On the other hand, it could still work. We eventually saw the unmasking of Darth Vader after 3 movies. Did most people think that was the worst idea ever? I didn't mind it.. I thought it brought more to his character.

I don't think Bioware should be asking us what they should do. I think people wanting to see her face is the obvious answer... people will get over not seeing it. It won't ruin the game (for the majority) if they don't reveal her. They need to make this decision for themselves, in the best interest of their game.

Don't ask fans, you can't please us, we won't be happy no matter what you do.

Druyn:

Distorted Stu:
I want her face looking human... but completely upside down. Just for shits and giggles.

In all seriousness i want het face to remain secret. The less i know the better. I love a mystery.

Upside down has been done. It should be sideways. Just a straight up 90 degree turn.

I think different features should be at different degrees?

Or rather:
No shown at all, mystery is good. Keep mystery.

I want to see her face but I hope the player has to work for it. A long sidequest maybe.

Personally I hope they keep it a mystery. Maybe show a Quarian's face but not Tali's.

I tell you one thing. If they do reveal her face it's gonna be at least somewhat good looking. They're not gonna take one of THE most popular characters and make her completely unattractive at all.

If they listen to the fans and reveal her face I hope she's cute because that's what her character is. If they they do what they want her face should remain a mystery. I mean the biggest reason some people want Tali to be ugly is to piss off the people who they think like her too much. Don't please stupid people like that.

A possible and interesting way of action could be to only reveal it if she's romanced, and then, by player choice (chat option). That way, people who want to keep the mystique up could just ignore it, as long as they don't give in to temptation.

C'mon, Bioware, you're good at giving the player's the power to choose, why not make it an optional choice somewhere in the game? That way the player can choose whether they want to see it or not.

Maybe they should just have a "Do you want to see Tali's face?"
at the beginning of the game heh
Mass Effect as a whole is all about choice so I think it could easily be done.

There is no need to reveal a tali.

Serves to only undermine her sexiness.

i just hope that if/when they do show a quarians face it looks alien. not human with cheerios glued on like in startrek where different colour cheerieos represents a seperate evoloutionary path.

At the very end of the game. Yes. I deserve that much for sacrificing so much of my time playing these games. I like the whole mystery of what she really looks like and yes I find that attractive, always wanting to look but eventually.. I really would like to see.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here