Space Invaders Moving Downward Toward Movie Theaters

Space Invaders Moving Downward Toward Movie Theaters

A Space Invaders movie is in the works, whether that makes any sense or not.

For anyone that wandered into this article by accident, Space Invaders is an arcade game released in 1978 about a group of aliens that slowly move back-and-forth and downward toward the player's ship-tank-shooty thing. Not exactly something that you can make a movie out of, right? Wrong.

Heat Vision reports that producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who has worked on Transformers and G.I. Joe, and Gigi Pritzker, currently working on the Ender's Game movie, have optioned the rights to create a film based on the classic arcade title. They're searching for a writer that can somehow create a story around a game that has absolutely no story.

Optioning Space Invaders isn't necessarily a stupid move, as the game has a ton of name recognition. However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.

It's as if someone optioned Pong and turned it into a heartfelt drama about two tennis players that go through hardships and eventually face each other at Wimbledon. You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Bonaventura also has his hand in the pot of the Asteroids movie, another classic arcade game being brought to the big screen. Maybe if he combines the two, and a bunch of other classic games, something worth watching might be created. Now that could be cool, but I'll need a producer credit.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Wasn't Independence Day just Space Invaders with Jeff Goldblum instead of a laser gun?

Meh.

I'm still waiting on the Tetris movie myself...

A movie about aliens invading Earth that's also based on a video game? Wow. That means the movie's unoriginal AND is going suck.

Pass. When's the Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie coming out?

-.- this brand reckognition shit has got to stop. Need a new procedural cop show? just cough up another CSI or NCIS... Its happening to games far too often...look at DmC T.T

Tom Goldman:
However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.

Wow, that doesn't sound like any recent events...

You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Oh, totally. Consumers are a really smart bunch.

You know that we used to say these sort of things as satire? Whatever happened to those days?

I reckon if they did something that kind of suited the legacy of Space Invaders then it could maybe work in a wierd sort of way. Like if they watched the Last Starfighter and Scott Pilgrim while high before each shoot, kept everything exactly the same as in the videogame and just loaded it up with homages to arcade culture and jokes about old videogames.

Tom Goldman:
Gigi Pritzker, currently working on the Ender's Game movie

Wait, an Ender's Game movie is somewhere in production? I am happy. Well, cautiously optimistic.

varulfic:
When's the Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie coming out?

7th of October, apparently

Pegghead:
I reckon if they did something that kind of suited the legacy of Space Invaders then it could maybe work in a wierd sort of way. Like if they watched the Last Starfighter and Scott Pilgrim while high before each shoot, kept everything exactly the same as in the videogame and just loaded it up with homages to arcade culture and jokes about old videogames.

My thoughts exactly. Last Star fighter is what this movie would probably be. Alternatively, could mention the fact that the only reason the ships got faster was because the original machine couldn't handle the speed of all the ships at once.

Wait. Hold on. An Enders Game movie? Now that better be good or my nerd rage will know no ends.

FINALLY! maybe now Space Invaders will get a decent story with a tie-in game, I always thought Space Invaders games were fun but the story IMO sucked. People that are against this need to realize that Space Invaders needs this to remain relevant, but they wont listen so what "Haters Gonna Hate".

Hopefully, they will base it on this clasic hit

The_root_of_all_evil:

Tom Goldman:
However, more likely than not it'll be your typical alien-invasion flick with exploding buildings (one of them probably the White House or the Empire State Building) and a single human that turns the tide against the foreign invaders with heart and bravery.

Wow, that doesn't sound like any recent events...

You've basically attached a popular name to something that has absolutely no bearing on the content inside of the product. Consumers are (typically) smart enough to stay away from things like that.

Oh, totally. Consumers are a really smart bunch.

You know that we used to say these sort of things as satire? Whatever happened to those days?

Taking that Pic.

That and I know the music of the movie:

EDIT: DAMN NINJA! NINJA EVERYWHERE.

Truly this film will be an epic for all the ages to remember.

Remember what moviebob said, this doesn't mean anything yet! Especially when they don't even have a writer. Hey, anybody happen to know where to send in script drafts? I mean, it's Space Invaders, I might as well give it a shot.

Heck, I bet I could write a script. Where do we send it in?

Oh c'mon. You're kidding us.

NLS:
Hopefully, they will base it on this clasic hit

By god, that has got to be the greatest thing I have seen in my entire life.

The thing about Space Invaders is that the plot is so basic that you can spin almost anything out of it and still have it be more-or-less Space Invaders. Judgement on the quality of the film will need to wait until more information, in my opinion.

That is just so ridiculous it could work. Also Ender's Game movie?
/)^0^(\

Nope, it isn't April 1st, huh. Well, good on them.

I would think Missile Command would give them much more to work with, oh well.

I'm sorry, I stopped reading at "Ender's Game movie."... What I want to know is, how the hell could somebody I've never even heard of land Ender's Game? The only thing I've ever seen of his was freaking Green Street Hooligans... which, if you haven't seen it, is basically "Frodo, an oppressed American journalist succumbs to peer pressure and becomes an English soccer hooligan."

Im fully prepped to nerd-rage.

It'd be cool if they turned out to be parodies/comedies...but I doubt that will happen.
I have a bad feeling about all these movies.

Tetris...Space Invaders etc.

What next Pacman? (shit, I've jinxed it...I bet someone will link it to me now)

Well that's just silly, I think they would've been better off if they wouldn't have told us what the movie was based off.

Wabblefish:
It'd be cool if they turned out to be parodies/comedies...but I doubt that will happen.
I have a bad feeling about all these movies.

Tetris...Space Invaders etc.

What next Pacman? (shit, I've jinxed it...I bet someone will link it to me now)

Well they do have a neducational pac man tv show in the works.

Only if they get Rutger Hauer as the alien commander, and Shia LeBoeuf as the first human killed by the aliens.

Blimey... is the film industry this hard up for ideas? As if the constant stream of video game/comic book/literature adaptations were not enough, now we have to pull some sort of loose concept from a retro arcade game? I shed a tear for the death of originality.

Still, if it's anything like THIS adaptation, perhaps I could be swayed!

InterAirplay:
Wasn't Independence Day just Space Invaders with Jeff Goldblum instead of a laser gun?

Yeah, and you could argue War of the Worlds counts too, among other films.

Shit, they technically already made a Space Invaders film once, but they had the good sense not to actually call it Space Invaders. Know what they called it? The Last Starfighter! I'm serious, it's about a kid who plays lots of arcade games that ends up being recruited into a real intergalactic war. It's "Space Invaders: The Movie," and it's actually decent. I'm going to bet that the guys behind this flick never saw it, though.

That's what boggles my mind here, there's so many "alien invasion" movies already, who would want the generic brand alien invasion movie? The best thing that could come out of this is if they made the movie about the game, or if it were a knockoff of The Last Starfighter. Judging from the properties they worked in previously we could only be so lucky.

And still they won't make a tetris movie...or has hollywood not gotten THAT desperate yet?

I'm a little surprised they have gotten to Space Invaders and haven't done a dark and gritty version of Captain Planet...

Now THAT is a movie I'd pay money for.

Please tell me this is a movie about the game, not within the game. I'd rather see another King of Kong than another Last Starfighter.

The only way I could see this working is if they did it as a comedy and as cheesy and over the top as possible such as in the vein of Mars Attacks or even the Evil Dead series. If they try and play this straight I can only see it falling flat.

All we need now is an actor who's desperate for work... I'm thinking Rob Schneider and a hot girl who's positively awful, but also out of his league... Jessica Biel... and a really bad writer/director, Roland Emerich. Sounds like a damn fine movie to me.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness this movie could be good or bad, it's such a simple premise that a million good and bad things could be done with it.

I'm more excited about the ender's game movie haven't heard about it till now

This is an amazingly simple minded article. Space Invaders has a plot - that's all it's got, but it has a beginning, middle, end, a hero and several antagonists. It lacks characters, really, with the exception of some graphical "acting" by the Invaders. It's the lack of character that would hurt a film adaptation - though I think a creative screenwriter can create an interesting riff on the concept of invasion in general. Still, as it was optioned for name recognition, we'd get the least offensive script out there, and probably would end up being a reimagined Independence Day.

Since Space Invaders has no end, the movie probably won't be about humans winning. Aliens taking over the Earth seems to be a common theme in cinema these days, and this is probably just another attempt to option that market by tying it into our nostalgia for early era games. So far most of the movies made like this have been visually stunning, but so light on story and characterization that after initial draws, they get bad reviews and are used as examples of what not to do with a movie (up there with hiring Micheal Bey to direct...).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here