CliffyB Sticks Up for the Wii U

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

People might trash talk the Wii U now, says Bleszinski, but when it comes out, they'll buy it like everyone else.

Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski has defended the Wii against its detractors, specifically those who are saying that it's just a retread of Sega's Dreamcast. The oft-outspoken developer said that not every console had to reinvent the wheel, and that old ideas led to new ones.

"The Power Glove led to the Wii, right? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS, right?" he said. "A lot of these older technologies that you forget about are [the technological predecessors]." Bleszinksi was excited about the possibilities that the Wii U controller offered, joking that it would allow him to play console games while sitting on the toilet. When it came to the console's detractors, he said that as much as people might bash the console now, he was confident that everyone would buy it when it came out. "It's Nintendo," he said "They'll talk shit but they'll buy it."

It seems bizarre to anyone to single the Wii U out for building on older ideas; analog sticks have been around for years, and yet no one calls out the PS3 and the Xbox 360 for being just like the N64. New consoles have always built on the hardware that came before it, and the Wii U is no different.

Source: Industry Gamers

yes because thats why I trashed the wii's dumb motion controls and I own every gen system BUT THE Wii.

I dont want the Wii U or 3DS I dont hate nintendo I just hate how there doing shit right now :/

Well, that's an insulting position to take. Here's a thought - maybe the people trashing it aren't the people buying it?

The Power Glove led to the Wii? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS? Alrighty then.

I guess we have roughly 17 years to wait before Nintendo turns that new turd of a controller into gold, right?

Of course it will sell but fucking cares about that?

The Iphone sold pretty well but is/was it actually a revolutionary piece of technology? No. The point I'm trying to make I that so long as the marketing goes well, it will sell well.

Lastly, it seems like a poor desperate attempt from Epic to justify the WiiU as all technology is about improvement and implementing it into sociality

So his defense of the Wii U is that we're gonna buy it anyway eventhough we think it's shit?

That's uh,... That's a convincing argument alright!

Aaand waiting for Cliffy to claim he's being misinterpreted again in three... two... one.

Seriously though, I like the guy but that just makes no fucking sense. I don't really think that the people trashtalking it online will be the ones buying it. The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.

Wow didnt think I would see he say that. More power to ya Cliffy

I wouldn't buy it until there are more games I would play (titles shown at E3 all seemed to be multi-platform except 1st party stuff and I haven't really liked Nintendo's first party stuff since the Gamecube(except Smash Bros Brawl)), also am I the only one who thinks that controller looks horrible to hold?

JourneyThroughHell:
The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.

Cause massive generalisations are kewl!

Nintendo are aiming this at casuals and at 'hardcore' gamers. Nintendo have the right idea, it's just the 'hardcore' internet crowd are pricks who never want to accept anything new and judge a console off the demographic of its predecessor.

JourneyThroughHell:
Aaand waiting for Cliffy to claim he's being misinterpreted again in three... two... one.

Seriously though, I like the guy but that just makes no fucking sense. I don't really think that the people trashtalking it online will be the ones buying it. The people Nintendo's aiming to get with this don't use the Internet.

What? Now, if anything doesn't make sense, it's that. What do you mean the people the WiiU is aimed at don't use the internet, the WiiU is aimed at a few groups, "casual" gamers who use the internet (isn't the ultimate "casual gamer" place Facebook?), kids (who constantly use the internet) and the people who bought the Wii (my theory is that the Wii was a way of getting people into gaming, and now Nintendo is trying to appeal to the same people, with something a little more "hardcore"). That group might use the internet, it might not.

Really, Nintendo is going for "mainstream appeal" and what's mainstream? The internet.

orangeban:

What? Now, if anything doesn't make sense, it's that. What do you mean the people the WiiU is aimed at don't use the internet, the WiiU is aimed at a few groups, "casual" gamers who use the internet (isn't the ultimate "casual gamer" place Facebook?), kids (who constantly use the internet) and the people who bought the Wii (my theory is that the Wii was a way of getting people into gaming, and now Nintendo is trying to appeal to the same people, with something a little more "hardcore"). That group might use the internet, it might not.

Really, Nintendo is going for "mainstream appeal" and what's mainstream? The internet.

Alright, I'll rephrase that. Those people don't partake in console arguments over the internet. They're not likely to be on gaming forums.

JourneyThroughHell:

orangeban:

Alright, I'll rephrase that. Those people don't partake in console arguments over the internet. They're not likely to be on gaming forums.

Why? Because they aren't "hardcore"? They aren't "true gamers"? There are Nintendo gaming forums you know, and plenty of Xbox and PS3 gamers don't care to get bogged down in arguments, really, paraphrasing something someone above me said, that's just a massive generilization.

ReservoirAngel:

JourneyThroughHell:

Nintendo are aiming this at casuals and at 'hardcore' gamers. Nintendo have the right idea, it's just the 'hardcore' internet crowd are pricks who never want to accept anything new and judge a console off the demographic of its predecessor.

I surely hope the second bolded statement is meant to be sarcastic, or ironic, or something. Otherwise you've completely lost whatever credibility the first bolded statement was meant to convey.

ReservoirAngel:

JourneyThroughHell:

I'm not saying people who will buy that console are old people and kids. I'm saying that that is who Nintendo has been constantly targeting for the last six years.

ReservoirAngel:

It's not the "new" thing really, or the "demographic" of the predecessor. It's the fact that their E3 conference was so bad that many of the so-called "pricks" lost hope in that company.

You're welcome.

orangeban:

Why? Because they aren't "hardcore"? They aren't "true gamers"? There are Nintendo gaming forums you know, and plenty of Xbox and PS3 gamers don't care to get bogged down in arguments, really, paraphrasing something someone above me said, that's just a massive generilization.

Yes. Because all of that. Nintendo alienated a lot of people with what they're doing. I don't think that none of their dedicated fans will support them nor did I ever say so. However, the people they're mostly appealing to won't do such a thing over the Internet.

I don't see any generalizations there.

Well, now I'm going to go out of my way to avoid buying one.

Seems to be a good business plan though dear Cliffy. It's like that episode of Family Guy where they all start out bashing Barry Manilow and then quickly start gushing about how great he is.

That's what Nintendo banks on. Literally.

I think he may be generalizing that even though people will trash talk it, people will buy it...though not necessarily the same people (though I'm sure there will be plenty of those too). For example I'm not going to trash talk it, but in all likelihood I'm going to buy it if it has half the Wiimote support of the Wii...bout time I get a few decent FPS games on a console without having to use fiddly thumbsticks as the Wii was somewhat lacking in that area, as is the PS3 with the Move.

That and the tablet controller doesn't seem half as bad as it's made out to be...I'll admit that I wouldn't have put buttons and thumbsticks on it as they probably won't be very ergonomic with the size and weight of the thing, but being able to have a touch screen on your lap to be a constant menu or inventory screen, etc could have it's uses, while limited. Though I'm sure someone will find a way to do something truly great with it - it may just take a while.

The Nintendo Wii is the only video game console I regret buying. Like hell I'm going to get taken for another ride with that shifty looking controller scheme.

Logan Westbrook:

"The Power Glove led to the Wii, right? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS, right?" he said. "A lot of these older technologies that you forget about are [the technological predecessors]."

And there's the problem the old concepts of 3D and wireless motion control that lay within the Power Glove and the Virtual Boy were going to be ill received from the very beginning and today with the concept improved slightly the products are still not as well received as they were back then.

Logan Westbrook:
Bleszinksi was excited about the possibilities that the Wii U controller offered, joking that it would allow him to play console games while sitting on the toilet.

Hey, you know what else lets you do that? The Vita.

It seems that everyone who claims that everyone else is just "a hater" about the WiiU seems to have very selective amnesia. Every benefeit they claim it has is something you could get with the Vita and a Ps3. Hell, Nintendo admitted its not going to be worth it as a tech upgrade. Gun to your head, outside of just buying the same fucking Zelda, Mario and Metroid again, whats the point of this thing?

ReservoirAngel:

JourneyThroughHell:

Heeeeeeeeeey,

As a 'hardcore' prick on the internet, I resent that assessment! Maybe if Nintendo didn't use the same name and 75% of the internal organs of its predecessor consoles, we wouldn't have to judge them like that...

For the record, my hatred of the WiiU has nothing to do with the Wii! I hated on the Wii for entirely different reasons. With so many NEW reasons to hate WiiU, there's no need to be creatively bankrupt and fall back on old hat.

... well, alright, fine. I'm bringing the "two gamecubes duct taped together" joke with me into the future. Now it will be FOUR gamecubes. But that's IT.

The.Bard:

ReservoirAngel:

JourneyThroughHell:

Heeeeeeeeeey,

As a 'hardcore' prick on the internet, I resent that assessment! Maybe if Nintendo didn't use the same name and 75% of the internal organs of its predecessor consoles, we wouldn't have to judge them like that...

For the record, my hatred of the WiiU has nothing to do with the Wii! I hated on the Wii for entirely different reasons. With so many NEW reasons to hate WiiU, there's no need to be creatively bankrupt and fall back on old hat.

... well, alright, fine. I'm bringing the "two gamecubes duct taped together" joke with me into the future. Now it will be FOUR gamecubes. But that's IT.

Give them some credit mate.

4 Gamecubes and an iPad duct taped together.

The same people who claimed the DS and the Wii wouldn't sell because it's some gimmick rather than 'real tech' are the same people claiming the WiiU is the same thing now.

They were also wrong about how popular these devices would be, and how much they changed gaming. Now touchscreens are going onto the PSP and motion controls are going into the PS3 and the XBox.

Also, Nintendo won this console war, and this handheld war, through greater sales.

CliffyB is right. The naysayers don't know jack or shit.

The Wii U isn't BAD, it's jut 6-7 years too late, if there was no "Wii" and they had this as the "Wii" it'd be amazing, it'd the the best out of the 3 hands down. But not now, now it's a complete waste of time, Nintendo actually had a "hardcore" audience to an extent before the Wii, hell the Gamecube got TimeSplitters and we all know that's the best game in history... but no, Nintendo basically dropped a turd out the window on it's core audience when they produced their reskinned gamecube and expect to win over the world with this? we'll say the same specs as the PS3 and 360 with an extra pointless screen and imprecise Wii controls? WE ALREADY HAVE CONSOLES TO DO "HARDCORE GAMING" ON...

So a console capable of new gaming experiences not capable with any existing console outside of a handheld is out of touch eh?

Hmmm. You must exist in a world without the Move and Kinect. Cause those things are capitalizing on the Wii.

Nintendo is right to move on to something new at this point... now that the competitors have seen the money its making, it's on to find new money by making new gaming experiences.

I don't see how anyone can claim Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft in this. They're not even playing catchup... they're doing their own thing. Oh, and the technology is cheaper too. Awesome.

And face it, the Wii was the Nickleback of consoles; sure everyone says they sucked, but SOMEONE was buying all those albums.

I heard the wireless range of the controller will be about the same room the console is in... so most likely no toilet gaming for him...

Shadow-Phoenix:

And there's the problem the old concepts of 3D and wireless motion control that lay within the Power Glove and the Virtual Boy were going to be ill received from the very beginning and today with the concept improved slightly the products are still not as well received as they were back then.

Wait wait wait, did you just really say motion controls were not well received? It is really hard to tell since without grammer your extremely long sentence could mean several different things.

Dexter111:
I heard the wireless range of the controller will be about the same room the console is in... so most likely no toilet gaming for him...

It will most likely be the same range as the wireless controllers on the wii, 360, and ps3. I am extremely sceptical of anybody who says that it will have less range then those.

DracoSuave:

I don't see how anyone can claim Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft in this.

By being able to see the Vita. Which was unveiled first? Come on, you know this. WHich one is out first? Come on, its on the tip of your tongue.

OutrageousEmu:

DracoSuave:

I don't see how anyone can claim Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft in this.

By being able to see the Vita. Which was unveiled first? Come on, you know this. WHich one is out first? Come on, its on the tip of your tongue.

The DS, if I recall, came out already. The Vita isn't out yet.

And as for screen on controller action, even if you're not counting the dreamcast... that happened with a few games that connected the Gameboy Advance with the Gamecube.

So... again, what is this 'following' thing you're talking about? Seems the Vita is copying the DS, except instead of dual screens and one touch, it's dual touch and one screen.

But that's okay, it's got a mic and a camera? Those aren't in the DS and DSi are they?

The only thing the Vita has that's really new is the GPS.

DracoSuave:

OutrageousEmu:

DracoSuave:

I'm trying to find the DS's two analog sticks, tell me - where exactly are they? And wheres the ability to play console games that were just playing on your home console and play them full blown on your handheld -you know, that thing that was claimed as a major innovation by the WiiU when Sony showed it off before with Ruin point for point on everything Nintendo claimed - which game was that?

And when exactly did the DS become multitouch again? You know, that thing the Vita is, wherein it can register more than one touch at once - when did it happen?

OutrageousEmu:

DracoSuave:

OutrageousEmu:

I'm trying to find the DS's two analog sticks, tell me - where exactly are they? And wheres the ability to play console games that were just playing on your home console and play them full blown on your handheld - which game was that?

Good point, the Vita total invented analog control. I'll just hide this Nintendo 64 controller over here. You know, the one with the rumble pack addon... that came out before the dualshock, or the dualanalog that predated the dualshock.

Again, what, EXACTLY, did the Vita do that was new again?

666Chaos:
It will most likely be the same range as the wireless controllers on the wii, 360, and ps3. I am extremely sceptical of anybody who says that it will have less range then those.

I have no idea what the "range" on those is as I never tried playing from another room not being able to see the input I make and all that but you do know that the WiiU's controller isn't just transmitting some button-presses wirelessly, but is getting its entire data rendered from the console so it can be displayed on its screen and that the amount of data and complexity is entirely different than that of transmitting a few button presses, right... right?

DracoSuave:
So a console capable of new gaming experiences not capable with any existing console outside of a handheld is out of touch eh?

Hmmm. You must exist in a world without the Move and Kinect. Cause those things are capitalizing on the Wii.

Nintendo is right to move on to something new at this point... now that the competitors have seen the money its making, it's on to find new money by making new gaming experiences.

I don't see how anyone can claim Nintendo is copying Sony and Microsoft in this. They're not even playing catchup... they're doing their own thing. Oh, and the technology is cheaper too. Awesome.

And face it, the Wii was the Nickleback of consoles; sure everyone says they sucked, but SOMEONE was buying all those albums.

The "WiiU" is playing catch-up in so far that they were forced to release a new consoles because of declining hardware and software sales (and profits accordingly) 2 years in a row: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/04/nintendo-wii2-at-e3-company-had-a-tough-year-in-2010.html

Battered by declining sales of its Wii video-game console, Nintendo on Monday announced it would introduce a new console in 2012. The announcement came as Nintendo posted double-digit declines in both sales and profit for its fiscal year ended March 31.

The Japanese game company said its revenue slumped 29% to just over one trillion yen, or roughly $12.4 billion, last year. Profit slid 66% to 77.6 billion yen, or $948 million. Nintendo had forecast for the year, issued last May, for sales of 1.4 trillion yen and net income of 200 billion yen.

It was the second year that Nintendo's earnings took a beating. During the previous fiscal year ended March 2010, sales were down 22% while profit fell 18%.

Losses due to the strong yen, which meant sales outside of Japan converted to fewer yen, accounted for $604 million of Nintendo's annual loss.

But the company's core sales of consoles and games also were to blame. After enjoying a massive wave of popularity, sales of the Wii fell 25% to just over 15 million units last year, compared with 20.5 million the prior year.

It might have had a "novelty value" as a console but it only lasted so long if it barely had any software to back it up... so they decided to push this out there so they also get all those "3rd party" titles...
Problem is the next gen of the Xbox/PS3 (if rumors are to be believed): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.298384-PlayStation-4-coming-sooner-than-thought-Xbox720-at-next-E3 are just around the corner and it will be yet again pinned into a corner with mostly "last gen" games running from it (retrospectively in 2 years from now).

They said the exact same thing about the Wii before it came out, how it would be eclipsed technologically by the other consoles. Its sales are declining, yes. It's also still in the lead for total sales.

I don't know what universe you come from where the Wii did terrible, because in THIS one... it was a cash cow for Nintendo.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here