Tim Schafer's New Game Pitch Faces a Tough, Fuzzy Crowd

Tim Schafer's New Game Pitch Faces a Tough, Fuzzy Crowd

Even veteran game designers like Tim Schafer have trouble getting people to fund their newest titles.

Once upon a time, Tim Schafer made games targeted at - and beloved by - the most hardcore of core gamers, like Grim Fandango and Psychonauts. After Brutal Legend didn't do quite as well on the sales front as one might have hoped, though, Tim Schafer and his studio Double Fine scaled down to the charming little Costume Quest and Stacking.

It should be easy for a man who is so beloved by gamers to get publishers to hear him out on his newest games, right? According to the video here to the right, that couldn't be further from the truth - sometimes, the suits just don't listen.

Of course, this is actually a clever little promotional video for Double Fine's newest game, Once Upon a Monster. It turns out that one of the benefits of making a game about Muppets is being able to shoot videos with the very same Muppets. If I were Tim Schafer, I would want to hang out with Cookie Monster all the time. Lucky bastard.

List of things I want from this trailer:

That iphone cover
Both of Shafer's games pitches
One of the pasties
A cookie

I do hope once upon a monster is good. Sesame street and double fine working together. Could be like a new mario or something...

That was the greatest thing. Ever.

cookie monster makes anything instant win.

linkzeldi:

I don't know what it is...but puppets make everything better....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQ4qdlhurc

P.S how do I imbed a video?

Well what do you know...

Tim Schafer really did grow a beard.

Tim Schafer is a legend, alright.

Also, maybe someone should delete this thread:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.300107-Tim-Schafers-New-Game-Pitch-Faces-a-Tough-Fuzzy-Crowd

I'd sure as hell fund Schafer's storybook-where-you-help-zombies idea.

I'd love if he gave us Brutal Legend 2 and it was an awesome hack'n'slash and not a mediocre RTS-type-thing.

Me think Cookie Monster's part in this video not quite recognised, for he is known for classical work as well.

That is delightful. I hope the game does well for them. I'd love to see more offerings from Double Fine geared more towards my demographic.(Not that I didn't buy Stacking, just want some more adventuring in awesome trippy worlds with great characters)

I wonder how much of this is based on Schafer's real experiences trying to sell his strange titles to companies...

Yes. Just yes.

There is just something about the Muppets and Sesame Street that they just never lose their charm. Almost timeless.

Oh no! What happen to Cookie Monster's googly eyes? One of them is stuck!

As for the game, would I play it? Probably.

Wow. That was a great promotional video. Leave it to Tim Schafer and Double Fine to actually put work into their work. You gotta love how Cookie Monster just is so professional in the video,and manages to spoof the fact that zombies are overused. If I had a Kinect and thought that this wouldn't be embarrassing to play being a 15 year old,I'd buy it.

I think Kevin Smith should play him in a movie.

I know of his Games but have yet to play them lol.

Haha that was awesome.

Gudrests:

linkzeldi:

I don't know what it is...but puppets make everything better....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQ4qdlhurc

P.S how do I imbed a video?

You write it like this [/youtube=MzQ4qdlhurc] without the /

MiracleOfSound:
I'd love if he gave us Brutal Legend 2 and it was an awesome hack'n'slash and not a mediocre RTS-type-thing.

But Brutal Legend is already an awesome hack'n'slash but with loads of different NPC allies you can do awesome teamup attacks with in a vaguely RTS-like format. Why would they cut out all the interesting things about the gameplay for the sequel?

Shine on you crazy, awesome diamond.

A game where you go around helping people solve their unique problems and where each level is centered around a pivotal character attempting to decipher their individual shortcomings? Made by Time Schafer? Sounds really good, shame we kinda already have a game like that made by him but ah well find a unique direction to go in we have happy times and goodness.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Me think Cookie Monster's part in this video not quite recognised, for he is known for classical work as well.

Post of the year right here.

random_bars:

MiracleOfSound:

But Brutal Legend is already an awesome hack'n'slash but with loads of different NPC allies you can do awesome teamup attacks with in a vaguely RTS-like format. Why would they cut out all the interesting things about the gameplay for the sequel?

Also because Activision gave Double Fine so much crap over Brutal Legend, I don't think anyone would touch the sequel.

I love. Love. LOVE that Double Fine are a game studio who can shift from M rated hard-core brawlers to delightful downloadables to kids' games, and the feeling is that they have a distinctive core design philosophy. That there is still a connection between Once Upon a Monster and Brutal Legend, and that they could not have come from different studios. Wonderful.

Sean Strife:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Post of the year right here.

Agreed, twenty times over...

But tim my old boy why don't you get around to treched two or DLC for god's sake, I need more trenched... I guess I'll just have to go back to Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, and Stacking for now then. Maybe Costume quest or Brutal Legend, maybe... but probably not.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here