Gearhead Geek Builds Turbine-Powered Batmobile

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gearhead Geek Builds Turbine-Powered Batmobile

Unless your name is Bruce Wayne, Casey Putsch has a much cooler car than you do.

I am referring of course, to the Batmobile replica now parked in Putsch's driveway. From the car's official description:

The car is a replica of the vehicle from the classic 1989 Batman movie that was directed by Tim Burton starring Michael Keaton as Batman. It is registered and insured for the street and features a military spec Boeing turbine engine that was used in a drone helicopter by the Navy to drop torpedoes on enemy submarines. Putsch taught himself about turbine engines and successfully rebuilt this surplus engine by himself. The engine powers the rear wheels via a semi automatic transmission and is driven like any other conventional production car. The car's engineering and construction is fully racing derived and can be considered the most extreme exotic car on the planet.

If you don't quite understand why that "turbine engine" feature is such a big deal, I will direct your attention to the footage of Putsch driving the thing embedded above.

Hear that sound when he starts the engine? That ascending-pitch whine of the turbine spinning up? The only way that noise could be more Batmobile-appropriate is if it were overdubbed with a clip of Frank Miller clubbing Jason Todd to death with a picture of Christian Bale.

Despite my enthusiasm for the engine, the interior of Putsch's Batmobile is pretty impressive as well. The obvious point of interest would be all those switches and dials -- Batman loves switches and dials -- but slightly less obvious is Putsch's attempt to mimic the Batmobile's on-board computer system via a dashboard-embedded iPad. What it lacks in psychological profiles of Killer Moth, it more than makes up for in wireless iTunes syncing capabilities.

It should be noted that this Batmobile isn't exactly an amateur, DIY project cobbled together in some dude's backyard. Casey Putsch is the owner of Putsch Racing, a company that specializes in vehicle restorations of the "incredibly gorgeous" variety. Putsch does work that most of us will never be able to afford, and that gig apparently allows him live out the dreams of every male born in America since 1935.

Source: Autoblog

Quite awesome, but I just hope that he made it sound-proof, otherwise that could get annoying real quick when you're driving it.

I also have to wonder what the top speed is.

My god, such a thing of beauty. I want this.

You will hear him coming, that is a promise.

Stil, it's quite an impressive feat of engineering but I'm with dirty hipsters on the soundproofing. For the sake of his hearing, Might be what the headphones are for. Unless he's using them to listen in on the police band.

Yeah, I too, want to know its driving stats. How fast?

It's mpg pro'lly sucks, though.

238U.[1]

[1] In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.

Isn't DC going to come down on him like a ton of bricks? Seems to me the last person who did this got into hot water, didn't they?

RonHiler:
Isn't DC going to come down on him like a ton of bricks? Seems to me the last person who did this got into hot water, didn't they?

As long as he's not selling it and isn't using it for commercial gain, is there really anything they can do?

RonHiler:

As long as he doesn't sell it I think he should be fine.

Holy hell, what a waste of money. I bet that thing wastes fuel like nobody's business!

I think I speak for everyone here, when I say: I want one.

That is all... ._.

Rather cool, but doesn't beat my favorite Batmobile.

Awesome. 'nuff said.

Jesus. Top speed? Acceleration? Handling?

I love it, but pretty much every important question went unanswered...

yea that is all sort of pwn but how fast? how much fuel does it burn? is the turbine for show or go?

Uriel-238:

that is the glory of a Turbine engine. MPG is horrible... but when you consider that anything higher then 40 proof can be considered fuel for it... that isn't too horrible of an exchange.

What an odd surname..

That is the sexiest vehicle I have ever seen in my entire life.

If I owned one, I swear to god, I would scream "TURBINES TO POWER" every time I turned the ignition.

I bet that thing will go like a bat outta hell, turbine engines are pretty powerful. There's a reason we use them in the Abrams MBT.

This is freaking awesome. I bet he has to wear earplugs, though. That's a loud beast.

Nice but this is still my Batmobile
Thought that is just me.

Nifty, but Bats' has a soundproof interior. That way he can keep up communications with Alfred, Robin, the Justice League, etc. while driving.

pretty sweet ride, but a few problems
it's eventually going to deafen you, for real turbines = NOISY
I'd estimate the mpg on that thing to be on the horrific side of over the top for the same reason you don't have one in your car
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency

for a toy I'll stick with a scale model, but job well done on having the most expensive toy
it's certainly a bat-masterpiece!

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na I'm going to f*cking rob you

Dirty Hipsters:
Quite awesome, but I just hope that he made it sound-proof, otherwise that could get annoying real quick when you're driving it.

Aye, most conversations in the car would just be people shouting to each other, "What?!" and "Say again?!".

Dirty Hipsters:
I also have to wonder what the top speed is.

Im wondering if it can potentially go fast enough to get a bit of lift. Now that would be scary in a turbine driven car :D

Now I want a turbine powered everything.

Kitty want a turbine powered propulsion system? Yes she does! Here kitty kitty kitty

its turbine time

I wonder what kinda HP that baby cranks out... Oh and top speed.

Who cares about the top speed people, IT'S THE GODDAMN BATMOBILE!!!

now if he were to be adding big blue neon light everywhere it can be ruined forever.

And I don't care about the people who keep posting about the new batmobile, the only way it would have been better is if it had looked like this:

Braedan:
Jesus. Top speed? Acceleration? Handling?

I love it, but pretty much every important question went unanswered...

My thoughts exactly! These numbers are quite important, but seeing it has a turbine engine, i would guess it packs quite the punch..

Uriel-238:

238U.[1]

Turbine engines are limited to 59.5% fuel efficiency. Piston engines have a limit of 30% or so. I assure you; his MPG, are better than most cars, if he has it running at the right RPM.

The reason you can't really use turbine engines in a car though, is that particles (think ash clouds grounding airplanes) will absolutely destroy the fan blades. And there's just potentially too much crap in the air to really use turbine engines at ground level.

[1] In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.

So cool, so cool, so cool. Want, want, WANT.

notimeforlulz:

Uriel-238:

238U.]

Turbine engines are limited to 59.5% fuel efficiency. Piston engines have a limit of 30% or so. I assure you; his MPG, are better than most cars, if he has it running at the right RPM.

The reason you can't really use turbine engines in a car though, is that particles (think ash clouds grounding airplanes) will absolutely destroy the fan blades. And there's just potentially too much crap in the air to really use turbine engines at ground level.

I was pretty upset with this as well, but I noticed that there is a skip feature in the top right corner.

Still not as cool as the Badonkadonk. Read the user reviews.

Want to buy.

It could definitely use some interior sound dampening, though. I like my ears.

The retro Batmobile... Otherwise known as- the phallus.

Also, I'm sure that can't have been road legal. So when he was driving with the other cars he was probably breaking the law or something. Which actually makes this video up to 4x cooler.

If that thing had a halfway decent top speed, it would be in the description. Also, if it could haul ass, they'd have it in the video.
My guess:
1: It's not finished, and they haven't gotten it to work properly.
2: It's finished, but just a piss poor car with a nice exterior that makes us pant and drool like the fanboys we are.

I wonder what the top speed is!
The ultra heavy M1A1 Abrams Battletank is also powered by a turbine engine, and it can go reaaally fast.So you can imagine how powerfull those babies are! :D

notimeforlulz:

Wow. I didn't know that, either about the efficiency or the problem with particle density at low altitudes (that would also explain why there's a difference between aircraft-grade alloys and... well... weaker ones). Thank you!

One would wonder if it were possible to filter the air pre-intake, using, for example, the cyclone tech that is used in vacuum cleaners. Though engines need a lot of air.

238U.[1]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here