Blizzard Probably Envies This Fan-Made StarCraft MMO

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Blizzard Probably Envies This Fan-Made StarCraft MMO

StarCraft Universe could redefine our core standards of what makes a good videogame mod.

Back in January of this year, a modder by the name of Ryan Winzen posted early footage of a World of Warcraft-style MMO built using StarCraft 2's map editor - and while was rudimentary it was still impressive. Then Activision's lawyers hit the video with a copyright claim, kicking off a kerfuffle that was finally resolved when Blizzard said "Hey, this is actually really cool," gave the project an official thumbs-up, and invited Winzen to visit the home campus in Irvine, California.

That was back in January. Seven months later, Winzen and his team have released the first gameplay trailer for Starcraft Universe - and it's truly amazing how far the World of Starcraft project has come in seven months. In the video here to the right you can see character creation (admittedly fairly simplistic), but the real star of the show here is the boss battles.

Sure, the combat here is hardly on the same level of an AAA-level game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, but if you told me that this had all been created using a map editor in an RTS, I would have never believed you. The fights look dynamic, the combat looks enjoyable, and it's all very, very pretty. The highlight is probably the battle against the mutalisks, but everything in the video is impressive as hell.

StarCraft Universe isn't a full-fledged MMO - it would be very difficult if not impossible to create a persistent world in StarCraft - but rather a game that "takes the team oriented raiding style of World of Warcraft and combines it with many slasher action RPG elements of Diablo," says Winzen. In other words, it's all three of Blizzard's major franchises thrown together and mixed up. Works for me.

And speaking of Blizzard, Winzen has no harsh words even after the January brouhaha. "For as big as they are, and as hard as they work on games, Blizzard is way above the bar when it comes to their community relations," he told Pixelated Geek. "It's not easy having millions of fans and appeasing them all, but all I can say is they've been good to me, and have definately made improvements on how they interact with the mapping community in general."

The full game won't be complete until around the launch of Heart of the Swarm, said Winzen, but he hopes to have PvP arenas ready for this year's Blizzcon.

Seriously, Blizzard, just hire this guy (and his team) already. He made this game in a map editor. Albeit an incredibly flexible map editor that was always touted as having the potential to build entire games, but a map editor nonetheless.

(Pixelated Geek)

Wow. This looks pretty awesome. I wonder if It'd work on my laptop?

Also, did the music remind anyone of an 80's/early 90's action movie? Or Con Air? Or is this just me?

Captcha: III/IV

Well we know what captha thinks of this.

This looks incredible. It actually looks better than World of Warcraft.

*pick jaw off the floor*

Dam, that looks kick ass

Might need to get SC2 just for this. :D

Wow. That's some mighty ambitious scope right there.

And that's coming from someone with little interest in Starcraft and zero interest in WoW.

Colour me impressed.

I'm not that big a fan of MMOs or RTSs, but I'm always impressed by hard work. And man, this team has really given it their all!

I probably won't get into this at all, but it looks great! I hope it does well.

SOMEONE hire this guy and his team already! That was freaking awesome, these folks have got mad skillz.

Color me surprised Kotick didn't put his big fat foot down on this. It's even more surprising than the cool gameplay.

Damn! I'm impressed! Can't wait for this to come out

Somewhere out there, a Bioware investor is hanging himself right now.

The Old Republic - Most expensive video game to date allegedly. Looks old, dated and stiff.

A free Starcraft mod? It's free. And it looks fresh and visceral and vibrant.

So, is EA/Bioware gonna give the GG or what?

John Funk:

Seriously, Blizzard, just hire this guy (and his team) already. He made this game in a [b]map editor

It's not as impressive as it sounds if you're actually part of the Warcraft 3/Starcraft 2 modding communities. It isn't that difficult at all, actually. He put a lot of work into it, but is it impressive?

Not to the degree that I'd hire the man for, no. Anyone can use blizzard's adaptable editors, and videos say nothing. A good game designer will have a lot of people interested in his creation, that's the sort of mod maker that gets hired.

DotA's Icefrog, The Counterstrike/Day of Defeat/Team Fortress teams, that guy who made Killing Floor.

Well designed games. Not spectacles that impress the unaware public.

The map editor is very diverse, and very easy to work with. This should be an applaud to Blizzard for making the tool.

That being said, I'm not talking about Starcraft Universe specifically. The game looks fine, but it doesn't really look all that enjoyable and it isn't very impressive if you've had experience with the Galaxy Editor/World Editor.

Canadish:

The Old Republic - Most expensive video game to date allegedly. Looks old, dated and stiff.

I would address other posts, or bother reading them. I scrolled up from mine and gave up right away.

Not even going to try and argue how retarded that post is because I don't know how serious you are.

I do not understand the last sentence. Besides the fact that it's quite impressive. It's still what Starcraft II engine is ment to do. Blizzard was selling SCII quite a lot as a game engine to expand upon than simply a game.

Still, very nice looking and polished.

SteelStallion:

Canadish:

I would address other posts, or bother reading them. I scrolled up from mine and gave up right away.

Not even going to try and argue how retarded that post is because I don't know how serious you are.

Mostly just in fun, based on general reactions to the projects in question. No need to get aggressive.

Fully agreed with Steel Stallion.

I still hate Blizzard for their 10mb map limit and not allowing importing of custom assets in the editor. Pretty much killed a mod that I was a part of :(

The video itself is more impressive than the actual map would be, it's just a well put video.

Shut up and take my money alr-WAIT WHAT HOLY SHIT

While definitely cool, this speaks more of how good Blizzard's editor is, rather than the creation.

At least, in my opinion.

That looks pretty amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a try!

I'm calling it now. If this thing launches, and it ends up being a mod for SC2 and then Blizzard throws in some tools to actually make it a free MMO... Productivity as we know it will no longer exist.

No two faction system shoehorned in? Do not want
/sarcasm

I really couldn't tell what was going on half on the time, to many bright lights and explosions.
But it looked cool none the less.

Knowing Kotick, these poor modders are probably going to get sued and then have their idea stolen.

Incredible, I've wanted a world of starcraft since the first time I ever heard about WoW being in development. Been a die hard and cant tell u how many hours of great times i've had going head to head with friends. I think the characters, worlds and everything about SC is more interesting then WoW. and you know it's not knights and orcs..please..ahem PLEASE somehow get this kid a job and get this going. Hopefully all his hard work will pay off cause this is the craziest mod ive ever seen. Even down to the PCs heads move on the team display. No joke. Can't wait for this. Great stuff.

Nurb:
Knowing Kotick, these poor modders are probably going to get sued and then have their idea stolen.

You may have missed the part where Blizzard gave the modder the official thumbs-up and invited him to their studios to meet the SC2 team, then.

John Funk:

Nurb:

You may have missed the part where Blizzard gave the modder the official thumbs-up and invited him to their studios to meet the SC2 team, then.

I did miss that, and I'm very surprised.

Wow, that's pretty damn awesome! I agree, bring these guys to Blizzard!

I dont think blizzard are interested in making another WoW, if they do make a starcraft game i reckon it would be some form of space flight game and/or ARPG FPS mmo

WoW does WoW best, blizz knows this they are not stupid

Im pretty sure they are already thinking about hiring him. I bet that was the reason they got him over there in the first place. This is like his first school paperwork. They have said in the past that they want/need new young fresh talent to train so that they can pick up their bussiness and to keep the legay of blizzard going. Just like Disney

as impressive as the mod Is I will name 2 reason why I won't bother with it.
1) it looks like zergs aren't playable
2) I don't own starcarft 2 or a computer that can run starcraft 2(this is 99% of the reasons).

Canadish:

Eh, from what I understand, this is basically just a collection of maps that you can jump into. I don't think the characters are persistent. It's more of a PvE MOBA, not really an MMO. Also it doesn't look better (but then it's a mod so why should it?). Also what is this axe people have to grind against TOR? I see people trying to make digs at it in the most random places. Seems like almost any time there's a post about Blizzard or anything even slightly MMO-related, I see someone bringing it up this way.

Eh, whatever. Haters gonna hate.

Fan made Blizzard game comes out using the map editor of SC2 before the second installation of that game comes out. Gods alone know how many games will come out before the Protoss installation arrives. Good grief...

Low Key:
Color me surprised Kotick didn't put his big fat foot down on this. It's even more surprising than the cool gameplay.

Wait until some poor bastard suggests it can make money.

That's truly amazing. Even the original StarCraft's Editor had always been a powerful tool, but this is simply astonishing! I wonder what that guy and co's technical expertise level, especially such as imperative programming. You just have to be very good with imperative languages if you can pull off something like this.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here