GLaDOS' Real-Life Counterpart Sings "Want You Gone" from Portal 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GLaDOS' Real-Life Counterpart Sings "Want You Gone" from Portal 2

Homicidal AI construct GLaDOS may be in a fleshier, more human body than she normally is, but she can still carry a tune.

*SPOILER ALERT: This news post contains SPOILERS for the ending of Portal 2!*

When all was said, at the end of Portal 2, beloved antagonist GLaDOS and protagonist Chell reached a truce, if not quite an understanding. The AI had spent so much time in the game (and the previous one) trying to kill her that by this point, she was just fed up with it. So, she said: Get out. Leave, vamoose, make like a tree - and she punctuated it with a song.

The video you see here to the right is Ellen McLain - whose voice is best known to gamers as that of GLaDOS herself - and her husband performing at Anime Midwest 2011. McLain sings "Want You Gone," the ending song to Portal 2, and is accompanied by her husband on the banjo.

I'm going to be honest here. It doesn't sound quite right to hear her voice without the artificial computer tint to it, but this is still a really cute performance and it's fun to hear GLaDOS' voice coming out of a real live human.

And is it just me, or is her husband eerily reminiscent of Cave Johnson?

The guy on guitar is Joseph Patrick Lowrie, McLain's hubs AND the Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

Yes.

Amazing. Love it.

Woaw! Cool!
Where and when was this?
I've been waiting for JoCo's version for a long time, but this is nice as well. Didn't know GLaDOS was so old.

Gee...Good thing Glados has an auto-tune program.

That's kinda weird. I think I agree with the OP, it sounds a little strange without the artificial element. But hey, I do love a banjo!

Bananahs:
The guy on guitar is Joseph Patrick Lowrie, McLain's hubs AND the Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

Yes.

And this is officially the coolest thing ever. The Sniper is married to GLaDOS. The World needs to know.

This is awesome! Though is it just me or is the timing a bit different from the GlaDOS version?

danielns13:
This is awesome! Though is it just me or is the timing a bit different from the GlaDOS version?

I think her voice is severely edited for the final product. I don't just mean for tone and synthesis. I think they just chop bits in and out, including timing.

That is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

And this is officially the coolest thing ever. The Sniper is married to GLaDOS. The World needs to know.

Yeah. You'd think it'd be Engie who was married to the computer. *brick'd for bad joke*

OT: I do agree that she doesn't sound as good without the artificial tone, but she's an opera singer. Cara mia was beautiful. Also, yeah, Joseph does sound like Cave! Kinda makes me wonder why they roped in J.K. Simmons. I mean I like him lots, but if Joseph already sounds like him, then why spend the extra money? Marketing?

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

McLain also does the voice of the Overseer(announcer) in TF2.

The plot thickens!

This live performance is so much more enjoyable than the in-game auto-tuned version. I've had that video playing four times in the last half hour or so.

Still Alive, on the other hand, sounds much better in its original auto-tuned form. And not just because Ellen got the lyrics wrong here and there when she did it live. ;)

That was quite lot of fun, I'd love to hear more banter between her and her husband :)

That was beautiful T^T

I LOVE IT!

Irridium:

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

The plot thickens!

And it thickens more, she's the voice of the Overwatch in Half-Life 2.

Love it. And it's particularly awesome that they (possibly...?) based Cave Johnson's appearance off McLain's husband. Who is awesome in his own right. Banjo-playingly, sniper-voicingly awesome.

I've never seen Ellen Mclain before. She's a lot older than I thought of her.

dommyuk:

Irridium:

Grey_Focks:

The plot thickens!

And it thickens more, she's the voice of the Overwatch in Half-Life 2.

While Lowrie is all the male citizens.

By god, it's as thick as jello by this point.

Also, I like how she sings a ballad like an opera singer. It's cute.

Irridium:

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

The plot thickens!

And the Overwatch voice in HL2. In fact, she's the only voice actor to have roles in all the Orange Box games (why do I know that?)
OT: How soon can I buy this on iTunes?

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

What is cooler is that Ellen also voices The Announcer in Team Fortress 2. So the Sniper is married to The Announcer.

Bananahs:

Yes.

The guy on guitar

guitar

Oh, he also does the voice for generic rebels in Half life 2 and its epsisodes.

"Looks like we misunderestimated them!"

That was amazing, here's to hoping for Still Alive

GeorgW:
Woaw! Cool!
Where and when was this?
I've been waiting for JoCo's version for a long time, but this is nice as well. Didn't know GLaDOS was so old.

Old? She's old? We're about the same.. HEY you know what? Yeah she's pretty old. Nice to hear the song like this even though IMO it's not as good as Still Alive.

Irridium:

Grey_Focks:

Bananahs:

Yes.

The plot thickens!

Also, Overwatch. It's extremely apparent in Episode 2, where they make the Overwatch sound more GLaDOS-like. I admit that I liked the former Overwatch voice, however.

TLS14:

Irridium:

Grey_Focks:

The plot thickens!

Also, Overwatch. It's extremely apparent in Episode 2, where they make the Overwatch sound more GLaDOS-like. I admit that I liked the former Overwatch voice, however.

If I recall, she's also Judith Mossman as well.

Eh.. Sorry to say, but I prefer GlaDOS' version.

...I got an ad in the captcha? ..What?

SFR:

TLS14:
snip

If I recall, she's also Judith Mossman as well.

Nah, that's Michelle Forbes.

Look under the info section on the right of this page.

Outright Villainy:

Bananahs:

Yes.

The guy on guitar

guitar

Funniest post I've ever seen on this site.

Good show sir.

That was sweet. Nice to see the woman behind the circuits of that homicidal A.I.

Her Husband isn't the voice of Cave Johnson it's J.K Simmons that does it. http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Voice_actors

Her husband IS FUCKING BEAST on that bango

Bananahs:

Yes.

THANK YOU!!!!! I swear, every time someone brings up this video they cast him aside saying "Ellen and husband". HE'S DONE A LOT OF VALVE VOICE WORK TOO!

Also that's a banjo

Wow, they are a lot older then I expected. They are good voice actors. Cute couple too, it seems like.

Well, Ellen is actually an opera singer, so it isn't too surprising that she could do a non-edited version of the song.
(That's also why there was the turret wife song easter egg, and the opera at the end of the game)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here