Infinity Ward Not Borrowing Ideas from Treyarch for Modern Warfare 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Infinity Ward Not Borrowing Ideas from Treyarch for Modern Warfare 3

Don't expect to see any zombies in a Modern Warfare game, now or ever.

Infinity Ward's creative strategist Robert Bowling says that it won't be taking inspiration from Treyarch's Call of Duty games for Modern Warfare 3. Bowling says that what Treyarch has done with Call of Duty is great, but Infinity Ward has a different vision for the series.

"[Treyarch] do things that we would never do but have turned out fantastic - like their Zombie modes - and added new features to multiplayer that we would never add, just because they're a different style," he said. Bowling said that studios having very different takes on Call of Duty meant that Treyarch and Infinity Ward wasn't "cannibalizing" each other's work, and gamers weren't getting the same game every year.

"Every developer has their own personality and their own direction, and more so than ever we're seeing people who really enjoy this style and the other," he added. "And it's not a black and white, good and bad; they're very different experiences but in the same core gameplay."

Of course, not everything that Treyarch has done for - or to - the Call of Duty brand has been positive: Black Ops received a great deal of criticism for multiplayer problems on the PC and PS3. While Bowling didn't think that the mistakes make by other developers necessarily had an adverse effect on Infinity Ward's brand, he did admit that it did impact Infinity Ward's thinking. "I think it's important to make sure that as a whole we listen to feedback as a brand," he explained. "When we go into development we're making sure that we're aware of what people want to see even if it wasn't something that was in a game that we did."

He added that questions about the PS3 and PC versions were some of the first that Infinity Ward had had to field, and that it was important to the studio that everyone got the same experience.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on November 8th.

Source: Gamerzines via CVG

And in other news, Last man standing has become a standard ability. The knife is still far too week, so they are going to triple the damage. Oh and every level will be like the Russian level, in order to capitalise on even more free publicity.

Still, at least this means I wont need to listen to people constantly begging me to buy fish, just to shoot zombies.

Why not Treyarch basically copied CoD4's multiplayer and they are in the same franchise, perhaps it's because the main reason people have for buying Treyarchs CoD is the zombies?

Fuck your US marines "Hurrah!" ass licking, military jack off material, and give us a new setting you twerps.

The milk train goes moo moo

They effect each other cod2 mp was basic, cod 3 had a great bunch of features & then cod 4 had that & much more then waw had zombies mw2 had spec ops & then they stopped changing it up so much.

IW/3arc go together without each other the series would've died long ago.

Lets see how the PC and PS3 versions turn out... The PC version of Black Ops is so damn bad, you would think dedicated servers would fix some of the hit reg problems... Nope, when youre on dedicated servers where everyone has a ping of under 100, thats when the shitty hit detection actually starts to shine.

Sure, by all means ignore everything that Treyarch did with Black Ops, we wouldn't want anything new being added, now would we?

Say what you will, I realize that BO was terrible optimized for PC, that it has it's fair share of bad mechanics and what not. BUT they atleast tried adding upon the Idea. I for one love the concept of the Camera Spike, the Decoy and I also like the concept of CoDPoints. THAT was atleast TRYING to do something new. All I hear Bowling saying here is ''Yeah, MW3 is totally going to be MW2 with a few different Guns...and I thought I'd throw in that we listen to the Fans (not really) but decided that once more leaving out dedicated Servers would be the better idea for some reason...mostly because we don't give 2 Shits about the PC Version and therefore wouldn't want to have any extra Work. Buy our Game!''

No thank you Rob, only chance you're getting here for me to buy the Game is if by some strange stroke of luck I have Money to light Cigars with by November...that isn't going to happen. So, in other words: Activision, please just let the Series die, oh, and tell Rob Bowling, Bobby Kotick and WhatshisfaceMarketingGuyorWhatever to STFU, nobody likes any of you.

Why all the nonsense between two devs of the same game.

Black ops ripped off MW2 wholesale and had zombies.

Why would we not want something we enjoyed brought over.

Sad day indeed when all outlooks show tryarch as the "good" Cod dev. It may be personal opinion, but given how boring the campaigns are for those games.(I'm a fan and they are still linear cookie cutter, paper target shooting bulshit) Maybe they could use zombies and those challenge missions to bring the game around.

Or at least stop charging 50 plus bucks a year for 15 maps that stop being released months shy of the next titles launch.

"gamers weren't getting the same gave every year."

This has to be a wind up right? I mean, why stray away from the overall business model?

As much as I liked the CoD series right from Call of Duty(pc) up to World At War, I cant see any changes in the last few aside from a few different guns, changing the dates and a lot of infuriating perks in the MP.

"gamers weren't getting the same gave every year"
Yes, one or two new guns and a few new maps is apparently now enough for games to be "original" these days <.<

Sayign this as a cod multiplayer fan, im glad to be honest. Treyarch so have some good eideas (The tanks and level design in WaW was fantastic..so much sniping and anti-tank stuff!) but they have also done some terrible things such as dogs and RC cars.

Hell im actually looking forward to MW3.. the mutliplayer that is haha

Well, as a great man once said...

"Weren't getting the same game every year" you say? The evidence is in direct contradiction to Infinity Ward's claim!

Question. Why is Infinity Ward still working on Modern Warfare?! They got fucked over, most of the team left, and the people who where too stupid to leave are going to get fucked over again and be forced to make more repetitious crap.

So, then, we won't be able to dolphin dive in MW3? For such a small feature, it sure changes the game quite a bit.

Gotta love the CoD hate in this thread already. The people that say the game is the same every year are likely the people that don't play it.

If all their games have been the same, how could anyone proclaim that CoD4 was the best, and MW2 was horrible? Wouldn't they be exactly the same, making them both as good as CoD4, or as bad(according to haters) as MW2?

XT inc:

Sad day indeed when all outlooks show tryarch as the "good" Cod dev.

A dubious title at best. Especially considering this isn't even actually the real IW anymore.

OT: Is this their sorry attempt at saying they aren't putting out the same game again? Really? You're going to have to try harder than that you guys.

-Samurai-:
So, then, we won't be able to dolphin dive in MW3? For such a small feature, it sure changes the game quite a bit.

Gotta love the CoD hate in this thread already. The people that say the game is the same every year are likely the people that don't play it.

If all their games have been the same, how could anyone proclaim that CoD4 was the best, and MW2 was horrible? Wouldn't they be exactly the same, making them both as good as CoD4, or as bad(according to haters) as MW2?

Removal of dedicated stories. Removal of lean. The story went batshit insane. IWnet was garbage, multiplayer was a laggy mess across all platforms. Glitches were far more prominent online.

Also generally when a game tries something kind of different and succeeds, it's a good thing. When they see that success and just keep pumping out the same thing year after year, it becomes bad. Overexposed. Maybe if they had let it lay around for a bit, before pumping out sequels, that would change the perception. But they didn't. They are Activision, they will make us love and re-buy the same franchise every single year. Or kill it trying. (Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk).

-Samurai-:

Is that so? 55 hours played in MW2, 28 hours in Black Ops. Is that not enough to judge if you love it or hate it? Or do you have to spend 100+ hours in a game your dislike before you're allowed to say it's a bad game?

Echo136:
Question. Why is Infinity Ward still working on Modern Warfare?! They got fucked over, most of the team left, and the people who where too stupid to leave are going to get fucked over again and be forced to make more repetitious crap.

Because Infinity Ward is a studio owned by Activision o.o If Activision says they work on modern Warfare, they work on Modern Warfare - that's why most of the team left. Infinity Ward is pretty much just a studio name, the .. well, meat of the studio's cleared off leaving behind a shell that encompasses MW development.

They should borrow some of the better ideas from black ops. Like flack jackets. And not being able to scavange noobtubes and claymores over and over. Hacker to is a good idea. Though things like the RC car dogs and the shit hit detection should go.

They should also give EVERY platform dedicated servers, the size of the maps is far too big for peer to peer connections. Its just not going to happen. Black ops on the console has massive problems caused by the lack of dedicated servers and the MW3 maps are supposed to be bigger.

-Samurai-:

There are quite a lot of areas to fuck up. The graphics, sound, optimization and shit. MW1 was good but MW2 did not had dedicated servers. Do you know what dedicated servers are?

-Samurai-:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Cod 1 - 4 were good because they were fresh and new. Everything after that was the same. I've played all of them and every game from WaW just feels like an expansion pack.

Does anyone still care about this franchise? The only entertaining thing to do in MW2 was enabling VAChaos and modding the game so people could actually have fun

At least Infinity Ward has brain. I seriously doubt MW3 will be worth my money since I'm a PC gamer and they seem to not give a fuck about PC. But IW knows how to make a good game. Sure they made MW2 and it was godawful, but they also made Call of Duty 4. And Call of Duty 4 was awesome. So there is still some hope left for CoD.

ImprovizoR:
At least Infinity Ward has brain. I seriously doubt MW3 will be worth my money since I'm a PC gamer and they seem to not give a fuck about PC. But IW knows how to make a good game. Sure they made MW2 and it was godawful, but they also made Call of Duty 4. And Call of Duty 4 was awesome. So there is still some hope left for CoD.

Except that everyone with a Name left IW after MW2...except ofcourse for Mr. FullofShit up there.

Logan Westbrook:
-snip-

Bowling said that studios having very different takes on Call of Duty meant that Treyarch and Infinity Ward wasn't "cannibalizing" each other's work, and gamers weren't getting the same gave every year.*

-snip-

So, was he able to say that with a straight face ?

*emphasis mine

But, wait. It's totally the same every year. There's clearly no difference between IW CoD games and Treyarch CoD games.

This comment section is seriously amazing and totally not full of random bullshit spewing.

OT: Good. The fact that MW2 didn't borrow stuff from WaW seemed to work out pretty well for it. IW still has the edge in network coding, optimization and whatnot.

lol you know they could let some folk from the other developers working on MW3 to speak out
we know what happened to Infinity Ward, no need to try to fool us :p

I solemnly swear to never buy a CoD game that is produced by Treyarch, I will however shell out for the Infinity Ward games. I believe that they are better overall than their counterpart.

Sucal:
And in other news, Last man standing has become a standard ability. The knife is still far too week, so they are going to triple the damage. Oh and every level will be like the Russian level, in order to capitalise on even more free publicity.

Still, at least this means I wont need to listen to people constantly begging me to buy fish, just to shoot zombies.

So it kills you three times over with one hit? That's somewhat redundant...

OT: Thinking about it, I've always like Infinity Ward better than Treyarch in terms of their ideas of what gameplay should be like.

But playing Zombies at 3 AM with a bunch of friends on LAN is the only fun I can extract from that shitty game. Well I still have Left 4 Dead, which is coincidentally much better than Nazi Zombies.

You aren't getting the same game every year? Many would argue that you ARE getting the same game every year...

Black Ops was crap, it managed to make even MW2's story look sensible, the multiplayer is extremely boring, and although this is a minor thing, the graphics look like my video card took a dump all over the game. It's only redeeming feature is zombies. The CoD series lost it's touch with WaW, in my books. And even WaW was only saved by the great SP/Co-op, the multiplayer was such a clone of CoD4, I couldn't get into it for long.

Now this guy is coming up with his "we don't want to copy Treyarch" BS. First off, they copied you in every way. Second off, you guys are lazy twats that don't learn. New features? Why? The average Xbox gamer will shell out $80 for our game on launch day, even if it is a 100-minute long game where you fly around the world with magical US marines saving the world from evil Russians and NUKES. As long as it has the same old multiplayer with noob-tubing galore, the Xbox gamers will be happy. And face it, they're at LEAST 80% of the market for this game, and easy majority. They'll buy anything with "Call of Duty" or "Halo" written on the box.

Don't get me wrong, I loved CoD4 and WaW, they were masterpieces, the perfect balance between an interesting and gripping, yet plausible story, and fun, simple gameplay. CoD 1 and 2 were fun as well. But these new games have me shaking my head.

Logan Westbrook:

Of course, not everything that Treyarch has done for - or to - the Call of Duty brand has been positive: Black Ops received a great deal of criticism for multiplayer problems on the PC and PS3.

At least Black Ops on PC had dedicated servers.

Sorry, that simple little thing made Black Ops SOOOOO much better than Modern Warfare 2.

In fact I've heard no bitching about the PC version of Black ops, and after playing over 127 hours I haven't seen any significant problems that haven't been around since Cod4 era.

In fact Treyarch as done a lot of good for CoD online:
-got rid of the basically mandatory perk: Stopping power
-integrated game playback feature
-brought back CoD4 favourites (Skorpion, M60)
-no weapon glitches (MW2 had loads of weapon glitches like PERMANENTLY misaligned sights or non-functional suppressors)
-No commando-lunge
-less overpowered killstreaks
-no more killstreak chaining
-more interesting setting of Cold War era than generic modern-combat era

If Infinity Ward refuse to recognise this and go back to Modern Warfare 2's bullshit then I really won't bother.

I bought Black Ops to show solidarity and appreciation for a big publisher realising that Multiplayer on PC deserves Dedicated Servers. But if Infinity Ward decides MW3 doesn't need Dedicated Servers... well fuck that. The game ain't worth more than $20 to me then, I'd buy it a year later on sale... maybe.

So you're basically going ignore anything Treyarch did better than you; like not letting Killstreaks count towards other Killstreaks, Shotguns as primaries etc. because you don't want to learn anything.

You idiots.

I feel bad about Treyarch, they don't deserve as much kicking as they get. Cod Waw was an excelent alternative to Cod4, one is modern, other is WWII, I prefer Waw because gameplay was slightly improved, for example long distance in Cod4 was a piece of cake with any weapon, yeah even Desert Eagle sniping was easy... on Waw it wasn't that easy :)
Of Course then Black Ops had good ideas but bat techincal problems, also the maps somewhat were the worst of any Cod multiplayer I've played. (Note: Never buyed the Maps packs, fuck it, on Cod4 and Waw we got extra maps for FREE!)

I'm still waiting for the ultimate WWII game. In terms of Singleplayer and multiplayer, in SP Cod2 was the closest, and then Waw added the pacific part and great MP although very similar to Cod4.
There's so much to tell, I want to play as Chinese in the Asian front against the Japanese, the Polish against the Nazi's but also against the Russians and play as France and showing us their shameful quick defeat but also the braveness of La Resistance for example.
And Online, why not play as Italians too? And Romanians and Hungarians...
For SP I don't want movie campaigns, I have movies for that, I want to play with immersion and diferent types of styles according to the type of battle in different regions.

And for Modern War Games, I just ask for a decent more original campaign less "American Fuck yeah" and a good MP.
They should launch Cod 2 in 2 years, this way Treyarch and IW had 4 years to work for a title, that's about right.

EDIT: AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE KNIVES! Bash in Cod2 was so much funnier and cooler than knife they implemented on cod4 and has been ever since. They can keep the knife if they want, but take the magnet out completely, and/or stop 1 hit knife kill.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here