Epic: Bulletstorm "Didn't Make Money For Us"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Epic: Bulletstorm "Didn't Make Money For Us"

Bulletstorm was a flop but Epic President Mike Capps maintains that he has no regrets about making the game and high hopes for the follow-up.

Bulletstorm, the foul-mouthed FPS from Painkiller studio People Can Fly that came out earlier this year, was critically well-received (4/5 at The Escapist!) and went over well with shooter fans who played it. But as we've seen time and time again, a good game does not necessarily mean good sales and it would appear that the number of gamers who actually played it is relatively tiny.

Bulletstorm failed to break 300,000 unit sales in its first month of release, according to analyst Doug Creutz, while a rep from publisher Electronic Arts said the game "underperformed." Now Capps has effectively confirmed those statements, telling Kotaku that the game "didn't make money for us," but at the same time he says he has no regrets about doing it.

Capps didn't talk about why it didn't sell, instead focusing on Epic's all-in commitment to whatever it does, be it the Gears of War series or Infinity Blade for the iPhone. Epic could have pulled the plug on Bulletstorm and put People Can Fly to work on "churning out Gears of War content," Capps said, but that's not what Epic has PCF around for.

"The studio has shipped AAA content," he said. "The next thing we do with People Can Fly will be great."

Capps is giving a talk at the upcoming Game Developers Conference Europe entitled "Size Doesn't Matter: How Epic Brings AAA Attitude to Every Game, from Gears of War 3 to Infinity Blade," which may delve a little deeper into Bulletstorm's failure. Whatever the reasons, I hope it doesn't mean the end of "dicktits" in future marketing materials. GDC Europe runs from August 15-17 in Cologne, Germany.

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor... sarcastically.

Well, at least Gears 3 will make them enough money to buy Switzerland and 3 carribean islands as compensation.

I didn't think there was anything remarkable or refreshing about Bulletstorm. So I'm not going to agree with the "good game doesn't always mean good sales" logic. I thought the game was rather boring. It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted it to be a cover-shooter, or a fun, silly shooter. So they just cut it down the middle with a dull butter knife of mediocrity.

This amuses me greatly to read this 3 days after trading in my unopened copy of Bulletstorm. Yes, i'm a dumbass for buying the game in the first place, but yeesh...

I walked into a shop on release day, specifically to buy Bulletstorm.

I saw "Games for Windows Live" on the box.

I left without buying it.

Every game with GfWL attached has been a complete disaster for me *beacuse* of GfWL, and I'm now boycotting it completely.

That sucks, I tought this game did well. :(
Over the top fun.

i didn't buy Bullet Storm because i didn't like the demo and what i really wanted was a competitive MP aspect, and not just Co-op against the AI.

I get that it's not that type of game, closer to an arcade experience; but that's what i was looking for when the game came out. I wanted a fast paced, twitch shooter, something completely different than the 'realistic' military shooters popular today.

I wanted Bulletstorm to be Serious Sam with the 'kill with style' mechanic and high scores.

it was fun...but it fell/felt a bit short for me

still, maybe PCF could do a Painkiller HD remake?? :]
(but they prob don't own the series name anymore)

The problem is that the game's main demographic has a large focus on competitive multiplayer, which Bulletstorm lacked.

Huh, I thought it did do well. Strange...

...but at least they're not abandoning ship like most developers/publishers do.

Andy Chalk:

was critically well-received

It was? Everyone I spoke to/read review from, said it was bland so never bothered to pick it up.

That and it was for GfWL, even if it was the best game we will ever make I wouldn't buy it because it uses freaking GfWL.

That's the least they could have said about UT3, which they've been quietly nudging under the sofa mid-development ever since they realized the mouth-breathing Gears of War fanbase makes them ridiculous amounts of money.

Problem is that Bulletstorm wasn't a good game. At least that's the image that the PC demo projects of it. You have to have a very specific resolution or the game's framerate chugs along in what feels like single digits, and they didn't include a proper options menu for the mouse, so you have to fuck around in the ini files to configure it properly. Personally I call that a bad game myself. As far as the PC version goes, it reeks of a bad console port that had no extra effort put into it to make it PC friendly. They just hit the "port to PC button" and then shipped it without doing anything to it to make sure it ran without incident.

And no, I'm not one of those PC elitist people. I'm just saying that I should be able to install a game on my PC and not have to dick around in the Nvidia control panel making a custom resolution to save the framerate and root around in INI files to fix the mouse because the developers were too lazy to make a proper PC port.

DFish:
Every game with GfWL attached has been a complete disaster for me *beacuse* of GfWL, and I'm now boycotting it completely.

Oddly enough, Games for Windows Live was the only part of the demo that didn't give me any grief. Just put in my Windows Live ID and poof, on my way to trying to play this poorly ported piece of shit.

rabidmidget:
The problem is that the game's main demographic has a large focus on competitive multiplayer, which Bulletstorm lacked.

That is exactly the reason haha. The over machoistic characters got old real fast to.

short game+ non-significant multiplayer made this a prime example for trading in as soon as you are finished.

If it was more aligned with painkiller than most other shooters they could have gotten the nice bump that painkiller got from the yahtzee review instead the review pretty much told people that this wasn't the game that they liked.

I felt that it was all style with no true substance. And if painting a house is style, Bullletstorm really just got wasted, spread its own shit over the walls and laughed at its own jokes.

Maybe next time Epic should leave People Can Fly alone and allow them to go back and make cool niche games. Like Painkiller.

the spud:
Well, at least Gears 3 will make them enough money to buy Switzerland and 3 carribean islands as compensation.

Nah, maybe just a few decent houses. Modern Warfare 3 on the other hand will allow Infinity Ward to buy the whole fucking universe.

I would have bought it, but, thesis writing for the loss.

The expectations to ship massive units on multiplayer adoption is really damaging the single player experience. Before long, ALL we're going to get are the big multiplayer franchises. I appreciate that they released AAA Content for a predominantly single player game, but this spells trouble.

I thought bulletstorm was a svery refreshing game in an oversaturated market, this article saddens me

'You scared the dick off of me.' didn't help sales? Wow.

For.I.Am.Mad:
'You scared the dick off of me.' didn't help sales? Wow.

I heard the dick jokes were bad, but this? Do they get money every time they say that word? If so, can I get in on this?

OT: I'm told it didn't have competive multiplayer. For an FPS game, that's not a good thing Never mind. My computer ate the rest of my post on this. And I don't feel like typing it again.

DFish:

Yeah. I am of the same mind. That and it is in a verrrry crowded field.

{Analogy go!}

Have these companies ever heard of a stripped gold mine? Not worth much unless it is a super fund site. Then it costs a fortune. (AKA: too many pigs at the shooter trough)

{/Analogy}

Games for Windows Live lost it two sales from my household, I can say that much.

The game was bad. It wasn't crude in that wink and a smile, duke nukem kind of way. Nor was it over the top enough to hold a "this is just crazy and hilarious", serious sam kind of flavour.

It took itself way too seriously for something way too stupid. The characters were terrible and what parts of the story that weren't entirely throw-away were so haphazardly thrown together I barely had any god damn idea what was going on, why I was doing things or why I should have cared at all.

When your game simply amounts to "lol I shot that guy in the dick" or "haha, he said shit and that's a dirty word." you really shouldn't expect strong sales. To top it all off, they billed the combat as a fresh and exciting "arcade style crazy shooty killy fun kick time" or what have you. But to be honest, I was bored playing through it. I was dead bored.

the spud:

yes but thats the point.
back to cover base shooting at generic muscular humanoid monsters with high doses of masculinity in the air mixed with sexual orientation uncertainty.

*sadface*

i really do not understand whats the problem with games for windows live.
can someone be so kind as to explain/rant about it?

the spud:

lol.
Nice comment good sir.

I bought it and traded it in after a month or so. The mulitplayer was completely broken and they never got round to fixing it.

Ive given up on Epic bulletstorm was okay and the Gears of War are getting worse. Theres enough games coming out this year to keep me busy, Dark Souls Deus Ex and Skyrim most likely

Aw man, I loved Bulletstorm. I suppose a sequel is out of the question now. Now I'm sad.

What a shame. And leaving it on a semi cliffhanger.

I can only hope a sequel is eventually made sometime in the future. I want to hear more Serrano.

Honestly I think the main reason it didn't sell was because of how short it is. When games cost 40, people are going to want to get as much value out of it as they can. If they can finish the game in 6 hours, they're going to want to try to recoup as much of that cost as possible. So they all traded the game in in droves, meaning the stores were full of preowned copies for everyone else to buy, essentially not giving any more sales to the developers.

How to fix this? Either make games cheaper, or make them longer. Or preferably both. Make them actually worth their value, and more of them will get sold. It's pretty simple.

DFish:

It has GfWL?

OK i'm not getting it either... Sorry PCF, I like your stuff but loose the shovelware please.

rhizhim:
i really do not understand whats the problem with games for windows live.
can someone be so kind as to explain/rant about it?

Because using it is like this

1) Put in game disc

2) Enter serial key

3) This game requires Games For Windows Live! To be installed. Even though it's already installed, we're going to run the installer again to waste 3 minutes determining that GFWL doesn't need to be installed.

4) Launch game

5) Games for windows live pops up, blocking the intro movie

6) Please login!

7) Enter login

8) An update is required! I'm just going to download that for you, too bad if you don't want me to.

9) You know that update that took 5 minutes to get cause our servers suck? Yeah I need to restart the game for that.

10) Go to step 7, repeat at least 3 times.

11) Now that you've watched the unskippable intro 4 times, GFWL requires you to enter the serial key you already entered to install the damn game anyways. Please enter the key.

12) Key accepted, I'm just going to log you out for no damn reason.

13) Repeat step 7-9 again.

14) Okay, you can play now. Unless you want to play online, that would require decyphering our retarted email like invite system that flakes out all the time. Have fun!

Honestly the game was kinda boring the potty humor got old quick the cover system made it frustrating the upgrade system kinda made you stick to the same weapons for most of the game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here