Silent Hill HD Collection Gets Screenshots and Vague Release Date

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Silent Hill HD Collection Gets Screenshots and Vague Release Date

The Silent Hill HD Collection arrives this September/October complete with higher definition graphics and darker darkness.

The Silent Hill series is known for being dark, both thematically and in a very literal, "Oh Jesus, what is that scuttling around in the darkness?" kind of way. The Silent Hill HD collection, which, funnily enough, collects the critically acclaimed series' second and third games in one volume, certainly hasn't bucked that trend, judging by the screenshots below.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 (the collection omits the first game in the series for some unknown reason and the fourth for a very obvious reason - it was pants.) are being ported to the PlayStation 3, and only the PlayStation 3, for now at least. In an interview with Joystiq, Silent Hill producer Tomm Hulett did mention the possibility of a distant multi-platform release but we've heard little else on the subject thus far. Both games will come on one Blu-Ray disk complete with 720p graphics, an updated score and a "completely updated" voice track. The games are being ported by Hi Jinx studios, the developers who brought us Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement and, um ... Frogger Returns.

Source:Joystiq

Too much damn good NEW stuff this fall. And a lot of great HD collections, too. But I'll probably pass on the collections like this in favor of new experiences. Except maybe that Splinter Cell one...

I foresee that 2012 will be a year I spend playing 2011 games and PS2 remakes.

>_>

Are they re-recording the voice acting?

If not, count me out. That was the worst for me. It pulled me out of the game every time someone spoke, and if that happens in a game that REQUIRES immersion, then that's bad.

I call this gets pushed back to November...

also am really looking forward to this. I had "The Silent Hill Collection" on PS2 (SH 2,3 and 4) and vaguely recall starting 2, don't thing I ever finished it though... Maybe the promise of Trophies will inspire me to actually complete the game this time, as sad as that sounds.

Darkerness?

OT: If I ever manage to afford a next gen console I might just get those.

This would have been a Day One purchase for me if either the first game (which I love) or the fourth game (which I haven't yet played) had been included. I'm sure I'll get it eventually (I'm intrigued about hearing the new voice-acting), but right now I'm more excited for the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection (since I only played Ico for an hour and I've never played Shadow of the Colossus).

The screenshots look promising, certainly.

If it includes the extra video stuff like Fukuro and the music videos from SH3... it'll be the bestest thing evar

I bet Yahtzee's still titillated about this game's re-release.

I don't know how I feel about the re-recorded voices.

I'll be the first to admit that the original voices - apart from Marie/Maria, she kicked ass - were a bit campy, but it brought a certain innocence to the characters, which in turn served as a nice contrast with all the psychological doom 'n gloom. Or maybe it's just my nostalgia for the charmingly simple voice tracks of old.
But I also remember these characters with their original voices, and hearing them speak with different vocals just doesn't sit right with me.

I also don't know how much of the visual atmosphere will remain intact if everything is going to look all slick and shiny. One of the aspects of Silent Hill was that the developers used the PS2's graphical limitations to their advantage. If they spruce everything up with an HD conversion, some of that atmosphere might become lost in the translation.

Christ, listen to me. I sound like some overly concerned mom sending her kid off to their first day of school.

ZeroMachine:
Are they re-recording the voice acting?

If not, count me out. That was the worst for me. It pulled me out of the game every time someone spoke, and if that happens in a game that REQUIRES immersion, then that's bad.

for the better or for the worse, Konami's recasting the voice actors.

I never played it. so if you say it was pretty bad.. I guess I have nothing to complain about.

...I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. Then again, it was the first one I played. I'd still say it had the best story of the lot, even if the gameplay was weak.

Anyway, got my eye on this. My PS3 seems like a good investment so far.

I want this. NOW.

Who's Idea was it to call 2 of the 7 games(I think 7 I checked wiki derp) and call It a collection.

Redo those 2 for next gen, but only the ps3?

If they wanted to go to the awesome limits it should a have a true boxset feel and do it on both consoles.( that came out automatically I forgot about the Wii)

This is great!
Silent Hill's 2 & 3 were the high point of the series, I can't wait for them to come to my PS3.

GaltarDude1138:
I bet Yahtzee's still titillated about this game's re-release.

I bet this collection will do something to piss him off.

I, a grown ass man, just made an excited 'squee' sound out loud.

Thats how much hope I have for this.

XT inc:
Who's Idea was it to call 2 of the 7 games(I think 7 I checked wiki derp) and call It a collection.

Redo those 2 for next gen, but only the ps3?

If they wanted to go to the awesome limits it should a have a true boxset feel and do it on both consoles.( that came out automatically I forgot about the Wii)

That's what I would like to know. I can see them leaving off Homecoming and Shattered Memories since those came out not too long ago, but not the first of the fourth game? That's not cool and makes no sense, but I'm fine with them leaving Origins out, that game was crap.

I'd be happy if they just called it a selection rather than a collection.

Uhm, are those screenshots from the HD version? It doesn't really look a whole lot different from my old version of the game to be honest. Otherwise, hell yeah, more Silent Hill. I do love watching a hapless bloke/blokette going through their little versions of hell (or possibly the version of hell of one's alter ego due to years of abuse and neglect, possibly reinforced by the fetus of a god/demon thing one may or may not be carrying).

LawlessSquirrel:
...I really liked Silent Hill: The Room. Then again, it was the first one I played. I'd still say it had the best story of the lot, even if the gameplay was weak.

I agree with every bit of that statement...except for that last part, on account of my lack of PS3... Anyways, this whole deal had better *somehow* preserve the eeriness that the Silent Hill series was so readily able to achieve BECAUSE of its graphical limitations. Dead Space did it wrong. Amnesia did it right. I liked not being able to tell the difference between the a tree and a zombie bat in The Room, not because they were well-hidden, but because the graphical capability of the system couldn't define what was what as well. If I can see everything in beautiful, full HD, I think it may take away from the Silent Hill feel. Now, if a new horror series were to start up, basing their game off its graphical power (and not being Dead Space, and not being Dead Space, and not bring Dead Space), I can see a lot of potential.

Doesn't include the first game!? That's the one that needs a remake the most!

WayOutThere:

Agreed. SH1 was good. Sh4 anoyed me deeply, but 1 was very good. However, you can buy it off PSN- which means that if you are willing to put up with bad graphics you can play all 3 games on your PS3 now. By contrast, many PS3's can't play SH2 or SH3 on their PS2 discs. I suppose remaking SH1 seemed like an unjustified cost, as I imagine their primary goal was making sure people could play 2 and 3 at all on the current console generation.

face_head_mouth:
This would have been a Day One purchase for me if either the first game (which I love) or the fourth game (which I haven't yet played) had been included. I'm sure I'll get it eventually (I'm intrigued about hearing the new voice-acting), but right now I'm more excited for the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection (since I only played Ico for an hour and I've never played Shadow of the Colossus).

Absolutely everything in this post is what I was thinking.

I replayed both of these on PC recently and they're still very playable, so whilst this will surely wind up in my collection eventually, it's not a day one necessity.

I want to play Silent Hill 1, FFS. It's only available on the US PSN store. It was put up on the EU and presumably AU one, but removed a few days later before I even knew it was there.

LookingGlass:

face_head_mouth:

Absolutely everything in this post is what I was thinking.

I replayed both of these on PC recently and they're still very playable, so whilst this will surely wind up in my collection eventually, it's not a day one necessity.

I want to play Silent Hill 1, FFS. It's only available on the US PSN store. It was put up on the EU and presumably AU one, but removed a few days later before I even knew it was there.

That sucks. Why would anyone remove that? It is a good game, and one of the better ones on the PSN. Oh wait- I know why. There is an enemy that looks like a child in that game, which you wind up shooting. I imagine SH1 got pulled off the store for that reason. Sorry man.

No re-release of the first game AND they're redoing the voiceovers?

That is insulting to not just the fanbase, but to the voice actors who worked so hard on the game! I'd rather just go onto amazon and purchase the game there!

Well, Silent Hill 2 was full crammed of little and subtle details for a PS2 game in 2001 and I know best, it still looks pretty good today. I think that the best they can do to "upgrade" these masterpieces (I liked 3 as well, but not as much as 2), they only need to upgrade the textures a little bit and upgrade the resolution to 1080p, nothing more, nothing less.

They both look amazing as they were back then.

It's a shame we PC gamers won't get a proper port as the original ones kinda sucked.

Okay, really? I HAVE SILENT HILL 1, 2, 3, 4, Origins, and Homecoming! Why in the blue F*** do I want to blow sixty dollars on 2 and 3 when I HAVE THE FREAKIN' GAMES? RAWR! It's not even a complete collection! Put a port of SHattered Memories, 1, Origins, and some of the other crap! COme on!

PLUS, I would not have to buy them again if they would just put the f***ing compatability hardware into the f***ing machine! Come on, why not be able to play my PS2 libarary on the PS3?

PLUS, PLUS, Better graphics? Silent Hill 2 looks pretty darn good as it is, challenging the look of modern games. Unless they fix some of the broken "Dead Monster" graphics, (you know, from when the joints glow after they are dead) then the game is fine and freakin' dandy.

BBMv12:
I call this gets pushed back to November...

also am really looking forward to this. I had "The Silent Hill Collection" on PS2 (SH 2,3 and 4) and vaguely recall starting 2, don't thing I ever finished it though... Maybe the promise of Trophies will inspire me to actually complete the game this time, as sad as that sounds.

Okay, that's lame. DO you still have the collection, cause you could just play that instead of buying a new 2-game set. In fact, this is for everyone, BUY THEM ON AMAZON FOR A LOW PRICE FOR THE PS2 OR XBOX. It's the same game, minus the achievements, which are as shallow addition to make people play their game. Dust off your PS2 or Xbox, download the compatability crap, or whatever, just do not feed this new craze of HD remakes.

I know, remakes can be excellent, but seriously, give us something to play developers! Don't release the old crap we beat already unless it is complete! COM-PLETE! That Means a remake of number 1, 2, 3, 4, Origins, Shattered Memories, and Homecoming in a set and then throw Downpour on us seperately for full freakin' price!

WayOutThere:

Amen bro.

Day one purchase for me. I'm a bit surprised with the re-recorded voice acting, since Konami isn't known for giving a crap about VA... let's hope it's for the best.

Updated score and voice overs, huh? Wonder how that will play out. I'll probably look into getting it since I don't have SH3 anymore. But then you got that Ico/SotC collection coming soon.....

Oh, uncertainty, how you beat me so.

LawlessSquirrel:

Yeah, I'm with you on that. The Room had its problems, but it was overall a pretty darn good tale with an intriguing structure.

No, it's three that was pants. Way to destroy the ambiguity and mystery of game number one!

i wish it had silent hill 4 it had a great story

Still can't figure out why they're leaving Silent Hill out of The Silent Hill Collection, but okay.
I wonder if it will have trophies...?

Trophy unlocked: Ha! Made you jump (and fall off of your bed)!

That honestly happened to me in three. Stupid amusement park Danny. Oh! I got another one:

Trophy unlocked: Aaah! (thump)

You all remember that mannequin right? Stuff of nightmares right there.

I goto say looks great can't wait but I want to hear more about the re-recorded voice acting Im half and half on it I mean sure It wasn't great but it was part of the game
I guess if I have to I could just replay the original for the voices

why not for the pc? SH2 was really poorly optimized for the pc. first the sound was laggy and the game crashed. after the patch it was playable but i wasnt able to save the game. the quicksaves dint work, and also the fixed save points in the game dint work. so this made it already unplayable. no one was able to help me nor google was helpful.
it also said you can go up with the resolution to 1600x.... . 800x600 was the highest i was allowed to use.
on the box it said it runs on XP. yeah, the game dint even start. but on vista it started the game, just that i had these problems i just mentioned before.
it really pissed me off that i coulndt play the game on the pc.

I ran it on windows 7 64-bit, took me nearly an hour to figure it out, but u set it to run in compatibility for windows vista and run as admin., that lets the game create saves, then as soon as you see the title splash, switch back to desktop, open task manager, click "see processes from all users" and set the affinity to ONLY USE ONE PROCESSOR CORE. Then it works flawlessly, my friend. (I'm studying for CompTIA A+, as I want to get into IT. Not bad, eh?)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here