Duke Nukem Forever Tries Its Hand at Parody in New DLC

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever Tries Its Hand at Parody in New DLC

If you've ever had the urge to see Duke Nukem in a silly hat, this new DLC pack is for you.

Duke Nukem fans rejoice, as 2K has announced the first DLC pack for Duke Nukem Forever, scheduled for release later in the year. Called the Hail to the Icons Parody Pack, the pack contains a number of new play modes, and well as new maps and weapons inspired by other popular shooter franchises.

The DLC contains the Freeze Tag game mode, where players must co-operate to freeze and shatter their opponents, the Hot Potato mode, where players see who can hold on to the babe the longest, and the free-for-all Hail to the King mode. The pack also contains four new maps, each with a new weapon. The "Call of Duke" map is set in a war-torn city and features the "N00b T00b." The "Sandbox" map is exactly that: miniaturized Duke's fighting in a toy strewn sandbox with stick bombs, while the "Inferno" map riffs on Doom with lava, teleporters, and the "DFG." Finally, there's "2Forts1Bridge," which breaks out the miniguns, and looking at the screenshots, the novelty hats as well.

The pack will be free to anyone who joined the First Access Club before the release of DNF. 2K doesn't explicitly say it in its release, but it seems a pretty safe bet that the pack will also be available for non-members at some point in the future. 2K is also holding multiplayer events at its office in Novato, California. You can click here to find out more details, although you have to be 17 or older to attend.

As with anything so successful, the likes of Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2 are positively ripe for parody. But whether or not Duke Nukem Forever's efforts are actually any good is another matter entirely, as Duke's sense of humor has left a lot of people out in the cold.

The Hail to the Icons Parody Pack comes out this fall.

Source: CVG

can't wait to see what they come up with, and being a First access memeber, i'll be getting it for free. it also sounds like a lot compared to other DLC packs from rival companies.

Fuck Duke Nukem and fuck it's DLC. You're not gonna reel me in by doing a cheap ass parody that just reminds me of the games that I could be playing. Duke Nukem is dead.

I thought DNF's sales were an epic fail, how come they make DLC?

Does Duke Nukem Forever even have a solid enough online community to warrant DLC packs?

Either way, it sounds entertaining, especially the freeze-tag mode.

If they made a parody of themselves I would be finally tempted to get it. Unfortunately Duke Nukem is just too big for his boots and takes out his frustration on every other better shooter...and it's a sad day when I realise CoD is better than a Duke Nukem game...

Parodies of other FPSs is right up Duke's alley, but I think this would have had more impact if DNF itself had been better received.

Alon Shechter:

Sales weren't that bad actually, the critics just teared into it and I bet a load of people traded it in...

So how will the parody make the game less shit ? Unless the dlc fixes the gam its just gong to be a game that looks evenmore pathetic. Dig at ood FPS games, then you look worse. Is like when Bioware said about final fantas being linear. Thn they made DA2. Atleast FF games dont look like shit.

I don't really know what people complain about; most of the whining stems from how outdated Duke is nowadays. Umm...isn't that the point in Duke Nukem? Absurd machismo and over-the-top-testosteronic manliness?

Either way, it looks nice. I would have bought DN;F already, but I have no money and I have other games to get first.

No.

No bloody way.

I bought DNF out of perverse curiosity. But it'll be a cold day in hell before I shell out for a second helping.

Alon Shechter:

cause gearbox still has truckloads of its borderlands money

A parody for Duke Nukem? I see what you did there.

But no, cant see me or anyone I know going for this.

When I read the headline, I was semi-interested. "A parody of Duke Nukem from Gearbox?", I thought, "that could be interesting!". Then I see that it's just parodying and insulting other BETTER games. There's nothing more pathetic than a lousy game poking fun at games far better than it.

They've even failed at Parody. How sad.

Hail to the hats, baby!

I love the sound of the freeze tag mode. Now only if something could be done about the two weapons limit.

Wait, wait wait.... I thought DNF already was a parody.

There were already hats in the Multiplayer, but speaking as a fan and First Access Club member I can't wait to tear shit up on Inferno. :)

Jonny49:
Does Duke Nukem Forever even have a solid enough online community to warrant DLC packs?

Either way, it sounds entertaining, especially the freeze-tag mode.

Freeze tag was already done in Combat Arms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0qt3R-GN0w

uguito-93:

Alon Shechter:

heh youre assuming this pack wasnt near ready at release

Alon Shechter:

Actually, it sold surprisingly well. Only LA Noire outsold it last month.

Was gonna say, I've seen it sitting fairly high in the GAME sales charts when I've been instores recently.

Yea making fun of how your game lacks any creativity and is just pure awfulness will make people buy it!!1
Seriously though, they're not gonna get people to buy this.... They don't have the nostalgia pull as people would already own the "game" if they were looking for this, thus know how terrible it is

Feralbreed:
Fuck Duke Nukem and fuck it's DLC. You're not gonna reel me in by doing a cheap ass parody that just reminds me of the games that I could be playing. Duke Nukem is dead.

No, seriously, I completely agree with you. DNF was a terrible game. People use the excuse "Well it was stuck in development hell for like 12 years.", and yeah, that's true, but if you have watched a game go from good to shit for 12 fucking years it seems like you'd have enough sense to just drop that shit. What they did is the equivalent to watching an apple rot for a week, then serving it to a guest like it's freshly fucking picked.

Mackheath:
I don't really know what people complain about; most of the whining stems from how outdated Duke is nowadays. Umm...isn't that the point in Duke Nukem? Absurd machismo and over-the-top-testosteronic manliness?

Either way, it looks nice. I would have bought DN;F already, but I have no money and I have other games to get first.

How do you know where the whining stems from if you haven't played it?

I think the most annoying thing about Duke is it's attitude. It pokes fun at Halo and Gears, and that would be fine if DNF wasn't so lame. It's not the most terrible game ever, but it's very far from the polish and quality that is in Halo and Gears. It's like playing a console FPS from 5 years ago, it uses effects like refraction far too much, and the weapons are so unbalanced that it's just retarded.
I became a fan of Duke Nukem based on the gameplay of DN3D, the awesome multiplayer mode, setting traps, the inventive levels. The humour was never that great, and it's even less great nowadays. DNF is like that Jean Claude Van Damme beer commercial - it's funny for about 30 seconds, then it's just embarassing.

Hmm, I really enjoyed DNF, but haven't tried online play yet... might have to now...

Well it seems like a fair package, it's just not for me.
Do wonder how that "parody" turns out because the previous humor was really flat.
Example, he attempts a joke about only carrying two weapons... would be funny if he could carry more, otherwise it's just a statement, a statement that reminds you of just what a shitty game it turned into.

You're doing it wrong DNF.

Parody isn't OMG LOOOOOOK LOOOOOK THIS IS SO FUNNY LOOOOOOOOK. It's about subtlety, or at least being more subtle than that, good lord I know you're stuck in the 90's but come on, it's not that scary in the 21st century.
Stupid way to parody stuff, this game is so off the mark it's unreal.

This looks like more "parody" from the same school as the base game itself, which isn't so much parody, but referencing something and telling you to laugh.

Kragg:

uguito-93:

Alon Shechter:

heh youre assuming this pack wasnt near ready at release

well yeah that's always a possibility seeing as studios these days seem to have some dlc ready to release sometime after launch

THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Instead of trying to beat other FPS at thier own game, Duke should have just ruthlessly made fun of them.

Taking the piss out of modern shooters doesn't really work if the basic game mechanics are poor imitations of said shooters.

I still adamantly maintain that this so-called Duke Nukem game was just another teaser. Hopefully in another 12 years someone will make the real DNF.

I thought the joke was that DNF was worth the wait?

Alon Shechter:

they didn't live up to expectations for 2K games but it did sell over 1 Million (companies expect 2.5 - 3.5 million these days).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here