Ubisoft's "Always On" DRM Is Back In Driver: San Francisco

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft's "Always On" DRM Is Back In Driver: San Francisco

The PC version of the upcoming Driver: San Francisco will feature Ubisoft's much-loathed "Always On" DRM, meaning that if your internet connection stops working, so does your game.

In early 2010 Ubisoft unveiled what may be the most onerous DRM scheme ever conceived, requiring PC gamers to be constantly connected to the internet while playing their games. And if the connection happens to drop? Tough titty, said the kitty, because if the internet craps out, so does the game. Almost as if to illustrate the point, Ubi's DRM servers went down immediately following the March release of Assassin's Creed 2 for the PC, which meant that nobody could actually play the hot new game they'd just brought home from the store.

An August move to Steamworks for R.U.S.E. suggested that Ubisoft had seen the light but apparently that was just a blip, because "always on" is on again in the upcoming Driver: San Francisco. "PC version requires permanent internet connection," the company revealed on the official Driver Twitter account. It confirmed with Rock, Paper, Shotgun that it is indeed talking about the infamous "always on" DRM which will bring the game to a halt if the internet connection drops at any time.

The console versions of the game, Ubisoft noted, can be played offline.

In other good news, it turns out that the new Driver won't support steering wheels. "No steering wheel support at this time, as it didn't fit very well with the Shift gameplay and our specific handling," the company wrote in a separate tweet that sadly does not go further to explain exactly how a steering wheel doesn't fit with a driving game.

I can't imagine what Ubisoft expects to accomplish by treating its PC customers with such utter contempt. The DRM may work, in the same way that slashing your tires will keep people from stealing your car, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And this, I'm pretty sure, is not a good idea.

Driver: San Francisco comes out on September 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, 3DS and PC.

well... I don't have a problem with this, I mean, I already do have permanent connection

but still, what the hell Ubisoft

one thing is wanting to protect your products, another very different one is paranoia

Whats "San Franciscofr"? :p

Bad Ubisoft, very bad indeed. Stop trying to force DRM down our throats, it's more than annoying.

Yeah, this has gone far beyond nutso at this point.

I had no interest in your games, Ubisoft. And you've ensured I shall not buy from you again.

teh_Canape:
well... I don't have a problem with this, I mean, I already do have permanent connection

I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting. Oh, and if their servers go down then you can't play.

OT: Fuck them then. I would have probably shown some interest after a bit of a price drop, but now they can suck my cock.

And let's face it, the PC version will be delayed after the console versions anyway. Why? Just because.

^ Click on it,it's a really big picture and I didn't want to get in trouble for it.

I wasn't going to buy this game anyway though,so I suppose it's not my problem.

"The DRM may work..."
If it does, it'll be only a week until a crack is up. Doesn't Ubisoft remember that the Silent Hunter DRM was cracked before it came out? Needless DRM simply punishes the user. Pirates will always crack the game.

My logic: pc ports of most console games suck, therefore most modern "AAA" games suck.

Fasckira:
Whats "San Franciscofr"? :p

It's a wonderful city in Arizona. Much better than that hell hole called San Francisco.

OT: It's official, Ubisoft hates PC users.

Woodsey:

teh_Canape:

I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting.

slow downs, yes, but never an actual cut =P

People who suffer because of this: Paying Customers.

People who are unaffected by this after a week of hacking: Pirates.

Silly Ubisoft, that's not how you protect your products!

In all seriousness, this is a terrible idea that heralds nothing good for the future of gaming.

There is no learning curve with these people.

one game i won't buy lol

Andy Chalk:
I can't imagine what Ubisoft expects to accomplish by treating its PC customers with such utter contempt.

Maybe they want to get out of PC gaming but their shareholders won't let them until PC sales fall under a certain level.

That's the only reason I can think of that doesn't involve lead paint being the beverage of choice at executive lunches at Ubisoft.

teh_Canape:

Woodsey:

teh_Canape:

I'm sure there must be the odd micro-second now and then when your connection goes before reconnecting.

If their servers go down, your game doesn't play. Their servers are pretty shit, by the way. And when this launched with Splinter Cell their servers were attacked as a form of protest. So people then couldn't play.

Woodsey:

teh_Canape:

Woodsey:

If their servers go down, your game doesn't play.

yeah, that shit happened to me during an Assassins Creed 2 round

now THAT was some shit

still, I agree it's a shit DRM they have going on

Cut this shit out, Ubisoft. You're making everyone else look good.

Gun, meet foot.

Seriously, if they hate PC gamers so much, wouldn't it be a little bit easier to not sell to them?

Hay Ubisoft guess what IM NOT BUYING YOUR GAME BECAUSE OF DRM You lost a sale congrats also lost more of what lil respect you have.

Your not hurting pirates or anything YOUR HELPING THEM YOU DUMBASSES Making the game easyer to play by pirated is just going to loose sales because generaly most people would go why pay for a infier vesion?

I hate pirates and shit but using DRM like this is worse then them

Well that's it. There's pretty much no good reason for any PC gamer to every buy a Ubisoft game again.

Good job alienating a third of the market, guys.

Ubisoft ToS

Playing the game you bought is a privilege not a right.

We hold no obligation to ensure our servers can handle the expected traffic from our games.

If the game does not sell well enough, we reserve the right to stop supporting this game.

If we no longer support the game on our servers, we will not patch the game to not require online authentication.

... Fuck you legit consumer.

So R.U.S.E., the online-multiplayer-centric game that's mentioned in the newspiece, is the one that doesn't demand a persistant internet connect with regards to DRM.
Ubisoft probably have some troll-hunting to do.

What's even more stupid, is that there will be a cracked version of this on Pirate Bay within 24 hours of release, if not sooner. All they are doing is pissing of any real customers.

Wow, this is stupid.... I mean, I think the game is gonna be shit anyway, but this will only ensure that I never purchase the game... ever.... Even on sale. As it stands, I bought both the Splinter Cell series and the Assassin's Creed series this past summer sale, only to be greeted by the "Ubisoft Launcher". I'm done with them.

Also, this will only encourage people to seek out cracks for the games they legally bought anyway. It won't even be a piracy issue, it'll be that Ubisoft will get no positive data back from customers with this approach. Not that it won't be pirated, but this will encourage people to pirate it.

And now I go back to not buying any Ubisoft products. Fuck you Ubisoft. Fuck you.

And it's my Birthday today. I was just about to go out and buy quite a few of your games that I've wanted. Like No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, and Conviction.

But now, no. Fuck you. I want nothing to do with any of your products you anti-consumer shits.

Tell me, did this system increase sales of the games that used it? No, I don't give a shit if it reduced piracy, I want to know if it increased sales. Were they significant enough to warrant this system? Were they crap which proved this system doesn't do shit for sales?

I, and many others, would love to know.

I think its pretty clear from the UNIVERSALY negative response that we are seeing here that this DRM is costing Ubisoft more sales then any ammount of pirates.
Do they even realize that DRM has never stoped pirates, as in ever? People who get pirated games wont refrain from doing so because theres DRM, theyll just wait till its cracked, which usualy takes a week.

It will be hacked inside 2 weeks

All you've done is pissed off the PAYING customers and delayed the pirates less then a month

CONGRATZ

Ubisoft i thought we had talked about this "always online" DRM is a very bad thing.Now stop trying to put it on games as this kinda DRM only hurts you honest money paying customers.As pirates just hack the DRM so how is this ever going to stop anybody

Ubisoft wise the hell up or get ready to take a hit on sales

Looks like I won't be buying this either. Such a shame, I had fun playing Driv3r on PS2.

Good thing I'm not interested in this game at all. Can't wait to see the auth servers get pounded. Maybe the lulzboat (what is left of them) or anon or another upstart will target Ubi with merciless resolve so they learn a lesson.

Lets hope!

They obviously don't want anyone to buy any Driver games anymore

...wait we know that already

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook