Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Fiad:

samsonguy920:

Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)

They are working with the limits of Minecraft, they most likely hit bedrock right there and couldn't make the bottomless pit without opening up the void which would just be a bright blue area, which would just look odd.

True enough. I would have filled the bottom with obsidian to just make it look like a black hole from the height of the bridge. I think I am done niggling about this, though.

thaluikhain:

Le Snip

You mean the makers of Moria weren't able to delve too deep? Probably a good thing, really.

If it were truly based on Minecraft they would have broken through to the Nether and ended up with a gross of Ghasts.
Gandalf: You shall not pass!
Ghast: [Proceeds to float across, shooting a splodeyball at the bridge, sending Gandalf down into the depths. LegolasSamsonguy saves the rest of the fellowship with his rapid fire of arrows.]

The stage is set for the matrix. Now all we have to do is upload our consciousness to the server and live in a block-y Middle Earth for the rest of time.

Was i the only one that loled at how cool the players were working together and walked with eachother in there work of epicness?

saw this 2 days ago. My mind was blown just from seeing the Shire, then they jump to Rivendell and the Mines of Moria, and my mind re-exploded 10 times over. I'm still speechless.

These people deserve some sort of life time achievement award for this. Fuck the Nobel Prize, idk.

samsonguy920:

Scizophrenic Llama:

Valate:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.

This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:

They aren't even close to where things start going wonky. However if they did do 1:1 ratio for distance, they would probably hit wonkyville at about Minas Tirith. But that's just a rough guess.

Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)

They mention in the video that the world is detailed from the descriptions in Tolkien's books, and I believe some of the games as well. Not the movies. It was just their choice I guess.

Cpt Corallis:
AWWWW COME ON! I literally just finished building my scale model of Helm's Deep a week ago. And then they go and do this?!

I wish I could say not cool, but this is too awesome for me to be bitter.

Andy Chalk:

"You guys are sick," the host said. "You need help."

This is pretty much the same response I got when I showed my friends Helm's deep.

Hmm... Maybe if you send them a message they will consider incorporating your Helm's Deep in the server? I assume they have theirs made already, but if yours is better I could see them changing them out (Minecraft editors ftw).

I want to get a minecraft account just to RP the shit out of this place, or at least walk around and take it all in. Can't wait to see Minas Morgul!

Honestly I wish they would just put it up to download and send us updates. I want to explore the shit out of it

Burningsok:

samsonguy920:

Scizophrenic Llama:

This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:

They aren't even close to where things start going wonky. However if they did do 1:1 ratio for distance, they would probably hit wonkyville at about Minas Tirith. But that's just a rough guess.

They mention in the video that the world is detailed from the descriptions in Tolkien's books, and I believe some of the games as well. Not the movies. It was just their choice I guess.

I didn't mention the movies. The movies have too many miscrepancies to be proper references. I grew up reading the books from cover to cover. However, the movie Fellowship of the Ring was actually faithful to the novel as regards to the chamber containing the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

That's... There are no words.

I remember seeing someone make a 1:1 scale model of the USS enterprise and thinking that he was a maniac. Then someone re-created the entire Kanto region. Then someone re-created A link to the past. Now someone has made middle-earth. ENTIRELY.

These aren't just representations, or little projects, these are people re-creating worlds. WORLDS. It's as if someone saw minecraft and thought... Here's a game that's huge on it's own... How do I make it even LARGER?

Fuck me, I'm doing the same thing. I'm building a giant floating island.

Ellen of Kitten:

OT: This is an AMAZING feat! I could never commit this much effort to Minecraft. I knew that one day all my creations would crumble, as the game would eventually fade into oblivion. But my god... someone get the worlds records people on the phone. o_o

Does that also discourage you from doing anything in real life as well? Just sayin'

More importantly - all Tolkien fans should be impressed! Quite amazing.

And we can't get a file download?

Well, Time to wait to apply to the server for exploration and amazement request :P

Diegolomac:
OK, just how many people worked in this project? Because my brain melts at the concept of this being built by less than a thousand really REALLY dedicated minecraft gods.

Edit: OH GOD, look at this http://www.minecraftmiddleearth.com/worldmap you can look at the world in real time google-maps style. JUST LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!!!!! Did somebody send this video to Notch already?

That map is the most amazing thing! It takes ages at maximum zoom out just to get out of the shire. You can trace it all the way to where they're building Lothlorien - Calas Galadhon is already done. The channel for Anduin is also pretty spectacular

Totally want the save file when its complete

I had no interest in Minecraft, still don't, but this is just sad...

Christ knows how much time they wasted making this, but I pity each and every one of them. truly.

How much time do you think it'll be before someone makes a Death Star?

phwoooooooooaaaaar *picks up fallen jaw* gentleman the bar has been raised

Hamish Durie:
phwoooooooooaaaaar *picks up fallen jaw* gentleman the bar has been raised

Raised? The bar lifted off and entered deep space now.

This is amazing. I do a little terraforming on the server I play on, so I can really appreciate the MASSIVE work they put into making hills and mountains look not only decent , but mind-blowing.

So... much... effort...

Right now I'm wondering if this map is up for download, and, if so, whether it would exceed my broadband limit to try and do so.

Men with no lives worked on this.

Capatcha: beg the question Yes and I must beg the philosophical question of..... why?

Why throw like months upon months of your time at this project, when you should be working or studying. Unless these guys are all rich and need not do any of that. I feel like it's something..... odd.

Tiger Sora:

Capatcha: beg the question Yes and I must beg the philosophical question of..... why?

Why throw like months upon months of your time at this project, when you should be working or studying. Unless these guys are all rich and need not do any of that. I feel like it's something..... odd.

Because they find it fun? It's no more a waste of time than playing any other video-game or watching cartoons or indeed even posting on forums.

Hell, if anything it's better. At least they've got something to show for their time and for others to appreciate, that beats what the vast majority spend their spare time doing myself included more often than not and yourself as well.

That's ridiculous. How did they mine out all those halls!

It makes me not want to play Minecraft again, as everything I build will be inferior.

It's funny that people are stunned by this (I was too, but then I had a longer think about it). Yeah, making all this with blocks is amazing, but people really did design this stuff in much more detail in other places.

The movies, the games... giant feats of this magnitude happen in all AAA releases these days, but we almost miss them because of their incredible realism.

Yeah, the fact that this has a lot of scale is a big deal. But it's not like this was all done by one guy, so how is it different from how amazing normal game design is? I mean, yes, there is shorthand used in these designs to speed up the process, but even then I'm sure the detailed work involved is still bigger.

I suppose it has a coolness factor in the sense that it's done by amateurs and still accomplished very well, though. So, I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble. Just trying to open minds to the other amazing stuff we're taking for granted.

I'd watch it, and likely actually enjoy it, but I really hate the narrator. To me, he's as charismatic as a dog on fire. You can really tell he's just trying to force jokes in, mostly where it's obvious he's forcing them in as hard as possible.

In terms of the actual island it's self. Well done, and it's pretty impressive that someone managed to do this. They started an ambitious project and they saw it through to the end. Just hope no "accidental TNT" gets placed.

Props. But how long? Massive dedication.

This is thoroughly impressive. I admire their patience. I wonder if they can make money from their skills with Minecraft.

Tin Man:
I had no interest in Minecraft, still don't, but this is just sad...

Christ knows how much time they wasted making this, but I pity each and every one of them. truly.

How much time do you think it'll be before someone makes a Death Star?

So, anyone who does something creative that consumes alot of time is wasting time and is pitiful? Wow, if humanity shared your attitude art wouldn't exist.

My friend has made a deathstar.

How much time do you think it'll be when people recognise Minecraft as an art medium?

I WANT TO LIVE THERE!!!!!

All I can think is this:

All's I can say is this

If there was ever a video to watch while you were high, this would be it.

Have they done Mordor and all that goodness yet?

Tiger Sora:

Some kids go outside, some kids play videogames.

These kids created another world with their bare hands. Doubtful you'll ever come to making anything this impressive.

just because of this.....im getting minecraft and creating my own world based off a book XD

OP: this was really mind blowing, can't wait to see helms deep and gondor and other casual lord of the rings locations

Wow. How much time did it take to make that? That guy could have written a book with that much time.

now make a death star and the starship enterprise...or corasaunt.

OK please, please tell me I can download this world...

Someone please tell me that!!!

call me when they finish Terminia from MM.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here