THQ Kills Red Faction

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

THQ Kills Red Faction

THQ is putting the Red Faction franchise to bed forever following disappointing sales of the recent Red Faction: Armageddon.

Despite a big marketing push for the Red Faction series that included a live-action Syfy film, Red Faction: Armageddon, which came out in June, apparently did not blow anybody's doors off. "We are disappointed in our first quarter financial performance," THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell said in the company's first quarter financial report. "Sales of Red Faction: Armageddon and our licensed kids titles were below our expectations, and the late release of UFC Personal Trainer also adversely impacted the quarter."

Because of that, and of the inability of the series to gain traction with gamers, THQ has decided to stick a fork in it. "Given that the title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way," Farrell said in a follow-up investors call. "In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher."

THQ laid off 16 Volition employees in May but at this point it doesn't look like the end of Red Faction will lead to further, deeper cuts: according to Develop, the Red Faction team has been folded into Guillermo del Toro's Insane project.

Source: GamesIndustry

Loved the first one, but that ended nicely enough not to need a follow up. When i heard the premise of the follow up I just wasn't interested.

Honestly Guerrilla was the only one I liked, the first two were kind of uninspired shooters and Armageddon was a return to crappy form. The technology from the games is better suited to the much more fun Saints Row series, and I'm at least happy there were no further lay offs. Hopefully the team can show what they're made of with the Insane project

What ?! the new RF games suck, but had potential. Instead of fixing them they are killing F. How the fuck do these people get to where they are ?

Go figure, you went from open world to rail shooter.

So... how long till the reboot?

OT: Surprise changing the genre to hit key demos was a stupid decision.

guerrilla was allot of fun but the new one... ehh, running around in caves just didnt really interest me enough to put money down, at least at full price

I really liked Red Faction Guerrilla. I saw a lot of potential with what they were doing and it's sad they made a shitty sequel that led to the end of the series.

Looks like the only franchise they're doing well on is Warhammer...and they're milking that :(

Along with this site's "Unskippable" series, seems like a great time to launch an "Unplayable" feature. I volunteer to write the first installment.

I loved Guerilla. Armageddon just didn't interest me at any point through development or when it was released.

Damn... and I loved Guerrilla. Had one of the most fun and addictive multiplayer I've ever played.

I still don't understand how they went from sandbox with fully destructible environments to Shooting bugs in dull caves.

And not a single fuck was given.

Honestly, I liked the first two, then I tried guerrilla and was bored to tears. It was so wacky, so crazy that it was boring. I got to the mission where you're driving the car around trying to hit all the waypoints to get out of the first mission area and had to put the controller down.

Tsaba:
Go figure, you went from open world to rail shooter.

This: I had a ton of fun with Guerrilla but after about 3 minutes with the Armageddon demo and exposure to the trailers I knew it would just fall flat. Why couldn't they have set one in the distant future, where Mars is at an Earth-like level of infrastructure and, architecture? It could have still been red and dusty but with actual city-sized cities to actually destroy. Nobody would have ignored that game...well, nobody but they people who failed to make it a reality.

Good luck with Insanity though, to the people who weren't shit-canned outright.

manythings:
So... how long till the reboot?

OT: Surprise changing the genre to hit key demos was a stupid decision.

This too...I wanna destroy the Martian capital with Mjolnir dammit!

oh lame... I liked the last 2 red faction games, and was waiting for the next one

A lot more publishers should have the guts to stop manufacturing new sequels to their established franchises. But that won't happen...

Well no shit, they went from awesome open world gameplay with brilliant multiplayer to "go here, kill this, get this, go here".

I mean, open world its still roughly the same but the choices in doing so are far greater. Also, fun fact, guerrilla actually challenged me on normal. I'm going through the new one on impossible and i've not died yet.

So because a massive change in direction with a tacked on mutiplayer and a WTF ending doesn't do well, you decide to kill one of the few intresting game series out there. Thanks THQ, you damned dipshits, why not get another failing studio to make DOW 3 and greenlight Homefront 2. Lord knows we need more stupid decsions made from you.

Part of it may have to do with the fact that they restricted the PC demo to Onlive.

Shoggoth2588:
Why couldn't they have set one in the distant future, where Mars is at an Earth-like level of infrastructure and, architecture? It could have still been red and dusty but with actual city-sized cities to actually destroy.

Would not run on consoles. That game needs to be developed for PC only, or wait for the next console generation. Personally I'd wish they'd just release Geo Mod 2.0 in some fashion so that people could use it for other games.

Nincompoop:

Shoggoth2588:
Why couldn't they have set one in the distant future, where Mars is at an Earth-like level of infrastructure and, architecture? It could have still been red and dusty but with actual city-sized cities to actually destroy.

Would not run on consoles. That game needs to be developed for PC only, or wait for the next console generation. Personally I'd wish they'd just release Geo Mod 2.0 in some fashion so that people could use it for other games.

I'm not saying it would have to be on consoles; the franchise would still be alive and it would definitely be better than Armageddon. It may be able to run on the PS3 though...even if it is buggy as all hell

Hardly surprised, Armageddon just didn't sell it for me, walking round caves blasting mutants yawnarama. The thing that sold Guerilla to me wasn't the engine, but the chance to play terrorist for a change.

Guerrilla was one of the better multiplayer games ive played in a while. I remember thinking when Halo: Reach came out that they had gotten their equipment idea from Red Faction's backpacks.

then i heard Armageddon didn't even have multiplayer...such wasted potential.

Shoggoth2588:

Nincompoop:

Shoggoth2588:

I'm not saying it would have to be on consoles; the franchise would still be alive and it would definitely be better than Armageddon. It may be able to run on the PS3 though...even if it is buggy as all hell

Sure, but I'm just giving you the reason they would got for an approach like that. But I definitely agree on a game like that. I keep crossing fingers for a Saints Row iteration to use Geo Mod 2.0 (or a new Geo Mod).

Hm, everyone usually complains about the abundance of franchises and lack of new ips, but when a mediocre series like Red Faction goes on the chopping block, people get upset.

Hate to sound like 4chan, but nothing of value was lost here. I still regret wasting my money on Guerrilla Warfare.

The original was awful and I avoided the rest, so I can't say I'm disappointed to hear that the franchise is being put to rest. However from the reviews I've read the games didn't do poorly because of the setting, but because of poor gameplay choices and a poorly integrated story. I'd rather hear them say, "We believe the games did poorly because of X, Y, and Z and we'll be taking steps to rectify these problems in the future," making the same gameplay mistakes with a different setting isn't going to improve matters.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The reason it didnt sell as well as Guriella(which I loved) was because it was a different style game. Instead of a open-world, blow everything to hell, balls-to-the-F&%$ing wall action title, they took the open world away and made it linear.

That and Red Faction isnt exactly a AAA series, Im sure Guriella didnt sell as much till the price went down. Im sure the same thing will happen when Armeggedon drops in price.

Glass Joe the Champ:
Hm, everyone usually complains about the abundance of franchises and lack of new ips, but when a mediocre series like Red Faction goes on the chopping block, people get upset.

Hate to sound like 4chan, but nothing of value was lost here. I still regret wasting my money on Guerrilla Warfare.

Guerila was bad. But had potential.

Just make the world more interesting, varied and full and make it so your a gurilla fighter, not able to just mow down EDF easily.

Good idea, po exicution. Then it regressedto this game. But the magnet gun was cool.

The series probably would have benefited from improvement, which they seemed to ignore with Armageddon.

Still, can't say that I'll miss it. Hasn't been very good recently.

Andy Chalk:
Farrell said in a follow-up investors call. "In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher."

That business model is broken.

If the only two outcomes are "smashing success" and "huge failure", the model is broken, and needs to be changed.

Maybe they should focus on mid-budgeted games. You know, the game equivalents of District 9 and Predators. Where it doesn't take as much as a massive blockbuster to make, and won't look as pretty, but it'll be much, much easier to turn a profit.

I kind of liked Guerilla, but it was to over the top for my tastes. To many times of getting stuck beneath bouncing cars after jumping out of a burning vehicle and all the pursuers slamming into me, Blues Brothers style. And then getting up and killing everyone. With sticky-bombs. WTF?!

this isnt my name:
What ?! the new RF games suck, but had potential. Instead of fixing them they are killing F. How the fuck do these people get to where they are ?

I tried out Armageddon and I liked it actually, I'm sort of stunned they didn't sell well though.

yeah the initial stuff I heard from the series interested me, but when the games actually game out I just wasn't all that interested

if I had Kinect I'd get the UFC game :p

Like others have said, not too surprised. You had Guerrilla, which wasn't advertised much but was great fun, then you had Armageddon, a fitting name because it had all the flash and hype an Armageddon would have, including the fact that in the end you know its going to suck hard for you.

Wide open spaces to tear around and do little mini-mission diversions and whole cities to wreck? Who needs that when you can crawl through a tunnel!
Variety of fun Multiplayer maps with enjoyable gameplay? Bah, you only really need Horde, so drop the rest!
SyFy movie...?! Yes, because we all know that the Syfy channel is the best place for all your science fiction needs, except when, you know, they are showing hours of WWE or cooking shows.

The movie on Syfy was far better than the games.

I am astonished I was able to write that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here