Mayor Flattens Illegal Parking With A Tank

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Mayor Flattens Illegal Parking With A Tank

"Next time, park your car legally."

If you've ever spent any time bicycling around a large city, you know that a lot of people don't have any problem with parking in bike lanes (even when it's illegal). You also know that the police often have more important things to deal with. However, in Vinius, Lithuania, the city's mayor has taken a keen interest in dealing with this issue and he's breaking out the heavy firepower (literally) to take care of it.

Mayor Arturas Zuokas is reportedly an avid cyclist who decided to make a definite statement with an expensive car that was parked illegally on his town's main street. The mayor arranged to have a tank run over a car as a stunt for the Swedish TV show 99 Things You Should Do Before You Die.

Zuokas has introduced a number of pro-bicycle "schemes" and established new bike lanes during his time in office. According to the BBC's Russian Service reporter who was on scene to witness the event, Vilnius doesn't actually have that big a problem with illegal parking, "but in its central streets it is strictly prohibited."

Source: BBC via Care2

Wow.

I think this rings true: "Genius and madness are two sides of the same coin"

It's funny if nothing else.

EDIT: I guess we should tank them for this funny video.

Thats just...amazing

About the only way this could be more manly is if he got out of the tank and suplexed the car.

But then he'd be Mike Haggar.

(Anyway, those cars would end up even worse off if they got towed in New York City.)

That's awesome, go Mr. Mayor!

But in the interests of being a nitpicky pedant, I have to point out that's not a tank, it's an IFV (infantry fighting vehicle).

Now he has enough room to park his tank there.

And if any cyclist has a problem with it, well...

That's pretty damn awesome, even if it is staged.

I think that is an Armored personal carrier not a tank. Same concept less gun.

Edit: Yeah APC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_personnel_carrier too lazy to find them model.

so this takes place in sim city right?

on a side note I think that mayor just leveled up.

It is official he is the greatest mayor to have ever lived.

Until mike haggar takes back that title.

apporvalfaes.mp3

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Edit: Yeah APC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_personnel_carrier too lazy to find them model.

The principle remains the same though.

OT: Nice to see laws being upholded. Maybe we should do that here in the states.

We need a tank to run through downtown Sacramento here in California and run over some cars. People here can't read worth a damn.

I love APC. So crunchy!

The europe version of Mike Haggard.....

The Rogue Wolf:
About the only way this could be more manly is if he got out of the tank and suplexed the car.

But then he'd be Mike Haggar.

(Anyway, those cars would end up even worse off if they got towed in New York City.)

Aww someone already made the joke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1f3Hr03fQ

Wow. I wish we had a mayor like that. It would be a lot more awesome here.

I'm torn here.

On the one hand, that is awesome. And I'd say running over cars in a tank is something that I would love to do. It just looks fun. And these people are breaking the law. So...

On the other hand, I'd be pissed if the city crushed my car because I was parked illegally. And honestly, it seems far out of proportion to the actual "crime". It's like using a flame thrower to trim your hedges.

Gotta be staged, though. No one would calmly accept their car being crushed like that.

Old Soviet Satellite States get all the fun. Why can't we have old military equipment in my town!?

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:
We need a tank to run through downtown Sacramento here in California and run over some cars. People here can't read worth a damn.

Ugh. No kidding. I was up there over the weekend and wanted to start bombing some of the cars that were parked illegally/in an asshat manner.

Anyone else notice how nice and clean that city was?

PS, awesome.

That is not a goddamned tank.

That is a goddamned APC.

-:P

(yeah, I useta drive a tank for a living...calling anything with armor on it a "tank" is just a peeve of mine)

Okay 2012 candidates, you now know how to get my vote.

Thats the kinda politician id vote for.

Awesome....but that's not a tank. It's an APC, kind of looks like a BRDM-3.

Centuries of putting up with the Russian Empire/The USSR and Prussia/Germany/The Nazis' bullshit will result in some bad-ass running through the gene pool.

Alright, who knows where I can get a tank to do this in my town? Anybody?

Centuries of taking on Poland, Prussia/Germany, The Russian Empire, The USSR, and the Nazis will result in a bad-ass way to solve any problem.

Ok so now instead of having a car parked in the bike lane you now have a wrecked car stuck in the bike lane. It is still awesome though and I love this guy.

*giggles* I'd vote for him. (If I could vote.)

There is a method to his madness. I wonder about how the owner's car insurance company deals with the claims though. The mayor flattened my car because I was parked illegally seems like it would be an unusual claim.

CM156:

EDIT: I guess we should tank them for this funny video.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

OT:.......Thats crazy. Oh well I am sure no one will park illegally now.

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:

California does have a high number of bad drivers. Sometimes they just park badly for no reason. I once saw a series of cars parked ON the lines in a parking lot. They were all spaced properly, just ON the lines. It was like everyone forgot how the parking lots were supposed to work.

KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life:
Centuries of taking on Poland, Prussia/Germany, The Russian Empire, The USSR, and the Nazis will result in a bad-ass way to solve any problem.

tank is always the answer to any problem.

unless the problem is a tank...

Absolutely. It has to be staged or the owner of the car can sue in Lithuania for three to five times the value of the car due to mental damages. ;)

vansau:
snip

Maybe there's some cultural difference that I'm not picking up on, but I do believe that we have more in common than we have that sets us apart.

I wanted to believe this, and in fact did, until the "perp" stepped out of the store to find his ridiculously expensive car had been destroyed, was told by the Mayor "don't park illegally," and just said "Okey-doke!" in response.

This is worse than finding out that Steve's lawnmower DUI was a fake. Damn you, internets! Phonies!

In Soviet Russia.... damnit i know there is a joke in there somewhere.

In Soviet Russia......... shit.

In Soviet Russia Tank Drive.......... damn, mom was wrong about me being clever.

w9496:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

The principle remains the same though.

OT: Nice to see laws being upholded. Maybe we should do that here in the states.

Not sure, where I live in the states you get a ticket for being parked for 10 seconds without popping money in the machines... Like, there's quite litterally cops who will run up to you if you do so because they have to meet their quota.

OT: Pretty awesome, but I don't think that's a tank... And that would never happen in America no matter how much I wish it would...

Captcha: Younecto Explorer... The future of internet browsing!!!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here