Sony Pushes PS Vita's Western Release Back to 2012

Sony Pushes PS Vita's Western Release Back to 2012

The release date for the PS Vita is changing, but the price is not.

Nintendo has one fewer competitor to worry about in the handheld race over the holiday season, as Sony has announced that its follow up to the PSP, the PS Vita, will not make it to the West until early 2012, confirming fears from earlier in the year.

Comments made by SCEA boss Jack Tretton led many to believe that the devastating earthquake in Japan would push the launch of the Vita back from its Winter 2011 window. Sony was quick to issue a statement saying that it hadn't changed its plans for the Vita, although it didn't completely rule out the possibility that it would.

It was Sony Executive VP Kaz Hirai announced the Vita delay, although he didn't actually call it a delay; instead, he said that Sony wanted to have a strong library of games ready to go at launch. It's not known at this time exactly when the new release date will be, although some believe that March is the most likely time - not unlike Nintendo's 3DS.

Hirai made it clear that Sony had no intention of dropping the Vita price to bring it back in line with the 3DS however. He said that Sony had put a lot into the Vita and made it very affordable, and added that Sony did not feel the need to alter its pricing - $250 for the Wi-Fi model and $299 for the 3G versions - just because a rival had.

Source: MSN Money via Eurogamer

It's getting difficult to tell whose handheld is going to fail. The 3DS might just win out of dumb luck.

This isn't pushing back a release, the release date has always been fiscal year 2011, IE any time before next march. Sure I was hoping for an X-mas release, but I always knew it wouldn't happen. Anyway, let's hope they don't completely fuck up the launch like some others did...

They're holding out for the apocalypse. Spendng goes notably up during apocalypses.

Ouch. Not launching before Christmas thus missing the entire holiday season is really going to hurt the PSV's launch. If the pushback is being done so that the system launches with a strong library of games (as they claim), then things might work out well.

I'm still looking forward to how the PSV. It should be interesting. I found the PSP to be a pretty strong handheld that just lacked the huge financial success I think Sony was hoping for. I have a good feeling about the PSV.

Hmm. This really is going to be an interesting generation of handhelds. Vita's features look impressive, but will it ever come close to the sales of DS in the West? The original PSP came no where near; I just don't know if Vita will have what it takes either.

Zachary Amaranth:
They're holding out for the apocalypse. Spendng goes notably up during apocalypses.

Lol, when I read that, all I had was that well known meme, running through my head: "I'm gonna get that bitch an apocalypse. Bitches loves apocalypses."

Project_Xii:
Lol, when I read that, all I had was that well known meme, running through my head: "I'm gonna get that bitch an apocalypse. Bitches loves apocalypses."

Lol, I had the bear grylls meme. "PS Vita delayed? Better drink my own piss."

Excuse me for one second

KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Ok where were we, ah yes will be a bummer.

*ahem*

Yeah I was looking forward to this, oh well Ill just get a 3DS.

It's probably a good thing though. IIRC When the PS3 first came out there wasn't alot of games for it at first, plus the Wifi+3G is still only $299 which imo is well affordable for whats packed into it.

My main curiosity is what happens to our PSP games. will we be able to play them on it or will this be the first time sony halted a game generation? (unlike Nintendo's consoles, NES cant play on SNES cant play on N64 cant play on NGC only some play on Wii...god knows whats going on with WiiU)

Ziadaine:
It's probably a good thing though. IIRC When the PS3 first came out there wasn't alot of games for it at first, plus the Wifi+3G is still only $299 which imo is well affordable for whats packed into it.

My main curiosity is what happens to our PSP games. will we be able to play them on it or will this be the first time sony halted a game generation? (unlike Nintendo's consoles)

No UMD's but there may be a chance that we can get them in digital form, I just have no idea how they're going to do that.

On the bright side any downloaded games from psn for psp will work

I think they are making a smart move. The 3DS suffered from bad sales due to all their power players not releasing games til 2-3 months after release. What Sony are effectively doing is making sure that the first impression is the best impression.

I personally like the "its ready when its ready", approach. Nice move Sony, finally you seem to be doing something right this year :).

FallenTraveler:

Ziadaine:

My main curiosity is what happens to our PSP games. will we be able to play them on it or will this be the first time sony halted a game generation? (unlike Nintendo's consoles)

No UMD's but there may be a chance that we can get them in digital form, I just have no idea how they're going to do that.

easily, your going to have to buy them again, when and if they decide to put them up.

what can you really expect anything else, excuse me for being pessimistic.

It's beginning to look a lot like the previous console generation. 3DS selling at a cheaper price, PSV staying its ground. Unfortunately for the 3DS, their reputedly inferior graphics, plus the lack of titles I'd like to play NOW, gives the Vita an edge in my book. No samey samey 1st party titles for me, Nintendo, I'll pass. (Save for the rumored port of Layton VS Ace Attorney, which may or may not happen).

Project_Xii:
Hmm. This really is going to be an interesting generation of handhelds. Vita's features look impressive, but will it ever come close to the sales of DS in the West? The original PSP came no where near; I just don't know if Vita will have what it takes either.

So now our only measure of success is "does it do better than the best dedicated handheld ever released"? Seriously?

Hey, I may actually be able to buy the thing when it's released after all o.o

I'm just surprised they made it that cheap. I mean, 250 isn't a lot of money.

handhelds that cost more than consoles and certain laptops? no thnx to either of them.

OutrageousEmu:
So now our only measure of success is "does it do better than the best dedicated handheld ever released"? Seriously?

Ummm... yes? Pretty much. If consumers have only two choices in handheld gaming devices (that aren't phone/apple based), of course they're going to be compared to one another.

I work in Gamestop/EB Games. I've got to see the entire retail life of both consoles, and the stigma each one has built up over it's life. I've gotten to see the DS wall expand and expand to eventually encompass 1/4 of the stores merchandising space, while PSP dwindled from a tiny section of wall that never got any bigger, to one side of a two-way floor stand. I think that's a pretty decent representation of the PSP originals "success".

Though Vita has some interesting features, it's still basically the PSP with better graphics and some touch-screen gimmicks. It's also more expensive, and less accessible to the growing "casual" market. So even if the console is technically better in every way: hardware, graphics, games etc. it still competing with the DS at every turn. Whoever gets the most sales will be deemed "the succes", it's just the way the industry works.

I'm eager to see how they make us market the Vita, cause honestly we've had zero interest in it so far, and I doubt that'll increase much. Especially since most of the people who purchased the PSP are now trading them into us, saying they barely ever played the thing. No doubt Vita will take off in Japan just like the PSP did, but the west? Hmmm. Well, we'll have to see.

Latinidiot:

bout 156 pounds sterling, thats like a weeks worth of food for a family of four or five.

That's a lot of money to some people

that's a fortune to some one in India.

Latinidiot:

That's still expensive in comparison to the 3DS. Some of the games on the Vita may look new and different, but that doesn't mean they're good. Too Human was "new and different" and look how poorly received that was. And it's not just Too Human, other games have done it before. People want games they KNOW will be at the very least good games (of course they can be great) and Nintendo has those in abundance (as far as first parties are concerned). Without the Vita to even challenge them this Holiday as well as being sold for a loss, the Vita just put themselves way behind in the race.

Logan Westbrook:
He said that Sony had put a lot into the Vita and made it very affordable, and added that Sony did not feel the need to alter its pricing

My memory isn't what it used to be, but wasn't the pricing of the PSP Go one of it's biggest criticisms? I know it had the whole no UMD/no digital copies of games you already owned going against it(a flaw that I've been able to rectify), but I'm fairly certain the fact that it was only $50 less than a PS3 (w/ Blu-Ray) played a large part of it. If the PSP Go wasn't considered affordable, I'm pretty sure the Vita won't be either.

Leviano:
I think they are making a smart move. The 3DS suffered from bad sales due to all their power players not releasing games til 2-3 months after release. What Sony are effectively doing is making sure that the first impression is the best impression.

I personally like the "its ready when its ready", approach. Nice move Sony, finally you seem to be doing something right this year :).

The 3DS isn't that graphically weaker then the Vita. The gap isn't as big as the DS and PSP one.

The_Emperor:

Latinidiot:

bout 156 pounds sterling, thats like a weeks worth of food for a family of four or five.

That's a lot of money to some people

that's a fortune to some one in India.

Yeah, I know it's a lot of money, and more than I'm willing to spend, but I suspected it to be a lot higher.

BrunDeign:

Latinidiot:

That's still expensive in comparison to the 3DS. Some of the games on the Vita may look new and different, but that doesn't mean they're good. Too Human was "new and different" and look how poorly received that was. And it's not just Too Human, other games have done it before. People want games they KNOW will be at the very least good games (of course they can be great) and Nintendo has those in abundance (as far as first parties are concerned). Without the Vita to even challenge them this Holiday as well as being sold for a loss, the Vita just put themselves way behind in the race.

yeah, that's all great and everything, but i am still surprised by the very reasonable price of it.

What about the Japanese release? Is that still this year? I was hoping to buy it as a Christmas present to myself while I'm there. Of course, I'll still be there next March anyway, so it won't matter too much.

Project_Xii:

OutrageousEmu:

Ummm... yes? Pretty much. If consumers have only two choices in handheld gaming devices (that aren't phone/apple based), of course they're going to be compared to one another.

I work in Gamestop/EB Games. I've got to see the entire retail life of both consoles, and the stigma each one has built up over it's life. I've gotten to see the DS wall expand and expand to eventually encompass 1/4 of the stores merchandising space, while PSP dwindled from a tiny section of wall that never got any bigger, to one side of a two-way floor stand. I think that's a pretty decent representation of the PSP originals "success".

Though Vita has some interesting features, it's still basically the PSP with better graphics and some touch-screen gimmicks. It's also more expensive, and less accessible to the growing "casual" market. So even if the console is technically better in every way: hardware, graphics, games etc. it still competing with the DS at every turn. Whoever gets the most sales will be deemed "the succes", it's just the way the industry works.

I'm eager to see how they make us market the Vita, cause honestly we've had zero interest in it so far, and I doubt that'll increase much. Especially since most of the people who purchased the PSP are now trading them into us, saying they barely ever played the thing. No doubt Vita will take off in Japan just like the PSP did, but the west? Hmmm. Well, we'll have to see.

I meant co paring the Vitas sales to the DS's, instead of comparing them to the 3DS's.

Pushing the Vita's launch back gives Nintendo that much longer to saturate the market uncontested.

The sole benefit here is that if Sony feels the next-gen handheld market is dead, they can still pull out.
But it'd be costly: All of that R&D and marketing money down the drain. Not to forget the legal costs from lawsuits issued by the developers who get screwed over (launch titles don't come from nowhere).
But it still allows Sony that option.

FallenTraveler:

Ziadaine:

On the bright side any downloaded games from psn for psp will work

I hope there's a something we can buy to do that that isnt costly. OR SO HELP ME THOR!

Thats unfortunate. I had hoped to ask for one for Christmas instead of using my own money. Oh well.

Gah, reminds me of the 3DS... the release date's pushed back for some reason or another.

Oh well, Nintendo needed this. More time to go unchallenged by Sony as they try to rack up sales and get out more games.

Latinidiot:

BrunDeign:

Latinidiot:

yeah, that's all great and everything, but i am still surprised by the very reasonable price of it.

Well Sony really couldn't afford (figuratively not literally) making the price anything but "reasonable." That would really have put a nail in its coffin from the start.

I also just thought of something. This means that the WiiU releases in the same year as the Vita. Will that convince some people (people who would have gotten it for a Christmas present) to just save their money and get the WiiU instead? That might be a possibility.

BrunDeign:

Latinidiot:

BrunDeign:

Well Sony really couldn't afford (figuratively not literally) making the price anything but "reasonable." That would really have put a nail in its coffin from the start.

I also just thought of something. This means that the WiiU releases in the same year as the Vita. Will that convince some people (people who would have gotten it for a Christmas present) to just save their money and get the WiiU instead? That might be a possibility.

I guess they learned that lesson from the PS3, didn't they.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here