Capcom: Making Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat Not As Easy as It Sounds

Capcom: Making Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat Not As Easy as It Sounds

Capcom likes having all of Chun Li's limbs in the right places too much to put her in the ring with the Mortal Kombat fighters.

If you want Blanka, Sagat, and Ryu to slug it out with Liu Kang, Sub Zero, and Shang Tsung, then you're not alone. In fact, it's a rather common request but itt's unlikely you'll ever actually see it happen; Capcom's Yoshinori Ono says that that's it's one thing for fans to ask for it, but it's quite another to actually make the game.

Ono said that while plenty of people had asked about a SF/MK crossover, the two properties didn't really align that well. Mortal Kombat universe is known for its over-the-top gore, and by comparison Street Fighter series is positively restrained in its depiction of pugilistic violence, a point had not escaped Ono's notice. "I understand why people want it," he said. "But it's easier said than done. Having Chun Li getting her spine ripped out, or Ryu's head bouncing off the floor ... it doesn't necessarily match."

The sheer level of violence in Mortal Kombat makes it a tricky pairing with a lot of other franchises. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, for example, ran into problems because the DC characters don't kill people. The game's Teen rating didn't help matters either, which is why it was such a relief for many MK fans when this year's reboot turned the gore up to eleven.

There are plenty of other crossovers Ono would like to see though. He said that the upcoming Street Fighter/Tekken crossover was one that he'd wanted to see for a while, and he dreamed of a DC vs. Marvel game. "[It] would be pretty damned cool if we could ever pull it off," he said. "If I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started."

Source: PlayStation Blog

Logan Westbrook:
"If I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started."

Yes...the apocalypse.

I wholeheartedly support the DC vs. Marvel idea. Wasn't there a comic crossover way back when? So it happening again shouldn't be entirely out of the question, right?

meh, if there needs to be a compromise, cut the gore. MK's gore is tasteless anyway

dyre:
meh, if there needs to be a compromise, cut the gore. MK's gore is tasteless anyway

While I don't entirely disagree with you, a Mortal Kombat without gore isn't really a Mortal Kombat at all.

dyre:

Maybe, but you can't deny that is what makes it Mortal Kombat.

In fact, it's a rather common request but itt's unlikely you'll ever actually see it happen;

Typo!

Anywho...they already have Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat. Vs Tekken. Vs Final Fantasy. Vs Ronald McDonald. Vs Everything.

M.U.G.E.N. Google it!

For MK vs. Street Fighter to happen, they'd each have to corrupt themselves to play on the other's level, and the fan bases of each wouldn't like it.

Moderately related: I can't fucking wait to kick some Tekken ass.

Just accept one rule - there can't be too much gore - and start working.

dfphetteplace:

dyre:

Maybe, but you can't deny that is what makes it Mortal Kombat.

MK IS the gore. If you cut gore from MK I'll cut you open and sell your entrails to hobos.

dyre:

I just want to present this to you:

THIS is why you shouldn't cut the gore. It's... it's just not mortal kombat.

That's the thing about mortal kombat, it just wouldn't be as good without the gore unfortunately, despite how tasteless it is.

Yeah, their styles completely clash. I mean the last Mortal Kombat had an actual robust story mode, Street Fighter never cares about stories. Mortal Kombat has spectator mode and tournament mode right out the gate and they patch game issues while Street Fighter prefers to release expansions instead of releasing free patches.

Completely different styles here.

I'd like to see Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat with Capcom vs SNK controls. M. Bison and Vega would fit in perfectly. Styker versus Rolento!

Good to hear it's not likely to ever happen. Beyond all the guts and gore there's a more important thing that MK doesn't have in common with SF, and that would be being a solid and respected fighting game.

I'll never see Johnny Cage vs. Dan Hibiki? NOOOOO!!!

We'd all be better off if Mortal Kombat just died.
Seriously. It served its purpose. Now let's just lock it in the cupboard and never speak of it again in anything but mockingly knowing terms.

Fishyash:

dyre:

That's the thing about mortal kombat, it just wouldn't be as good without the gore unfortunately, despite how tasteless it is.

Damn, after seeing that...I guess tasteless is better than dull o_O

To be entirely honest I do not see any paticularly good reason why the Street Fighter cast couldn't have their own fatalities and such. There has been a lot of pretty extreme material based around that universe in terms of both sex and violence already (albiet outside of the games) so I don't think it would be a huge thing. Canon-wise pretty much everyone survives the tournaments to begin with.

Simply not giving the game a "T" rating would be a good start.

Otherwise, I'd imagine there hasn't been a DC Vs. Marvel game yet because the comic companies don't want one for whateve reason. For all of the competition it's important to note that both companies have a reputation of not letting that get in the way of working together. We've had TONS of crossovers with the characters from the respective companies,
and major events like that whole "Amalgam Universe" thing. Getting them to work together is hardly earth shattering.

Heck, the whole framework for "DC Vs. Marvel, Marvel VS. DC" kind of works for setting up a fighting game. The game could be theoretically filling in the blanks since most of the fights were short, and there might have been other matchups or whatever. You could also toss the Amalgam characters in as unlockables.

I'm still waiting for a return of some of those Amalgam characters somehow, in some form.

I wanna see Ryu shoryuken Johnny Cages head off.

Meh. Sagat would still be OP as all fuck. And dear god, I don't even dare imagine Oni's fatalities.

To be honest I don't really see certain characters like Ryu or Guile having Fatality moves (they woldn't outright kill anyone although evil characters like Vega or Juri would be perfect).
I'm more opted to see cross over fighter games like Street Fighter Vs Dead or Alive or Street Fighter Vs King of Fighters.

Scarim Coral:
To be honest I don't really see certain characters like Ryu or Guile having Fatality moves (they woldn't outright kill anyone although evil characters like Vega or Juri would be perfect).

Not a problem! We could easily have heroic brutailities instead!

Okay sarcasm aside, I think a SF vs KoF would be pretty cool as well.

And seriously, I guess this is just meant to be. It would have to have the gore, and since Ono doesn't want any gore, no SF vs MK :(

Fishyash:

dyre:

OT: srsly, I hope it does come through one day and we get Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter

though I can't really bring myself to see Chun Li getting eviscerated

Ryu can, though

fuck Ryu

and Ken

Oh noes! we might not get another fighting crossover that we can milk later by adding more characters or even more a special edition!

I don't care for Capcom until they bring back MegaMan!

FYC.

I'd love to see a DC vs Marvel game, but only if I can have Captain America miraculously defeat Superman. Honestly, I don't know who I would rout for in Wolverine Vs Batman.

"[It] would be pretty damned cool if we could ever pull it off," he said. "If I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started."

No offense Ono, but if I was in the shoes of a DC executive and considering something like this, your company would be the LAST I would ever trust with a crossover game these days, considering the garbage you're pulling right now with your other fighting game fans.

We have ArkSys, Namco Bandai, AM2, and NeatherRealm Studios making fighters, and given how much better they are at quality games, with shorter to none track records of re-releases with little to some extra content, they are the ones who should hold the honor of making crossover fighters. Not you.

OK. Rant over. Seriously though, Capcom, keep dreaming. Anyone with good sense wouldn't pick you for that job anymore.

Doesn't Warner Bros own DC & NetherRealm Studios?

It'd be really weird if Warner released a fighting game that didn't take advantage of them owning a company that pretty much exclusively makes fighting games.

Until both companies are in dire needs of money I doubt this will happen.

Then again the 3DS dropped in price by 80$ within 5 months so anything can happen.

Keep capcom AWAY from my Mortal Kombat, MK9 has given me an undying service of pleasure where as Capcomes recent releases have all been huge kicks in the balls.

No capcom you greedy bastards you shall not corrupt my MK.

Well, if a Mortal Kombat game was designed by Capcom, that would mark the first time that the fighting in the MK games was decent, and not just focused on gore.

I'd love to see Cage knock Ryu's head off 3 times.

GreatTeacherCAW:
Well, if a Mortal Kombat game was designed by Capcom, that would mark the first time that the fighting in the MK games was decent, and not just focused on gore.

I've never understood the SF fighting. There are no combos besides jumping kick to standard punch a time or two and jump kick to crouching kick. All you really can do is spam special moves. The AI cheats in SF, pure and simple. It is able to fire off Sonic Booms faster than you can fire hadokens, ignoring the 2 seconds you would have to hold left between each one. It never has to do the retarded "charging" nonsense where you have to hold down for 2 seconds before doing a flip kick. And don't get me started on the ridiculousness of the super and hyper moves (I remember some moves demanding 3 full circles on the d-pad on top of an awkward button combo).

dyre:

Hey, did you see the point around here? Oh, right, sorry, you must have missed it.

Scarim Coral:
I'm more opted to see cross over fighter games like Street Fighter Vs Dead or Alive or Street Fighter Vs King of Fighters.

Street Figher Vs. King of Fighters was done over a decade ago.

What if they didn't make it a full game, but rather have their dark characters that wouldn't seem out of place (Akuma) in as guest characters. That could work. I don't think Capcom would have a problem with Akuma being mutilated or mutilating Mortal Kombat characters.

You could make it so the Mortal Kombat guys can be decapitated, and decapitate each other, while the Street Fighter characters are immune to blood-letting and decapitations and faux-kill their way to victory. So Mortal Kombat guy's limbs fly off in every direction, and the Street Fight guys fall in a lump on the floor.

Marvel vs DC would be epic!

J03bot:
I wholeheartedly support the DC vs. Marvel idea. Wasn't there a comic crossover way back when? So it happening again shouldn't be entirely out of the question, right?

i remember seeing that, thumb threw it to see Captain America and Batman fighting on a roof top, so yeah, DC VS Marvel shouldn't be to hard to get going, and it'd be WAY more awesome the SF VS MK >.> (which would likely suck like DC VS MK did)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here