Bethesda Says Mojang's Scrolls Infringes on Elder Scrolls Mark

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Pessimist:

lacktheknack:

Pessimist:
I hate him for being smug

Wat? Example, please?

and lazy,

Wat? Example, please? Oh wait, you can't. You've never seen Minecraft's source code.

coming out of left field with something many have done before him but profiting off it because people inexplicably pick it up and stuff money in his undeserving pockets?

Because he did it better. It's nigh-impossible to do something "original", it's now all about doing it better than everyone else. Which Notch has. Prove me wrong. And even if you give me an example of someone doing Minecraft better than Minecraft, I still can't think of Notch as "undeserving".

OT: What the hell, Bethesda? I was almost totally excited for Skyrim, and then you had to go and kill my enthusiasm with a lawsuit.

Better question for you.
Why are you badgering me?
Are you so insecure you can't take an opinion - one shared by most of the "fandom" MineCraft has, but still... - ?
I have nothing to prove to you. Please be bored elsewhere.

Badgering? I only quoted you once...

Also, stunningly, this is supposed to be a DISCUSSION board. Discussion is not putting out your opinions and then saying "now leave me alone", it's putting out your opinions and backing them up. If you can't back up your opinions, they're worthless.

And no, I'm not insecure. Your dislike of Notch hasn't affected my opinion whatsoever, I just don't like seeing opinions left hanging.

At least we now know where Tim Langdell works when he isn't not making games or getting obliterated in courtrooms.

Pessimist:

lacktheknack:

Pessimist:
I hate him for being smug

Wat? Example, please?

and lazy,

Wat? Example, please? Oh wait, you can't. You've never seen Minecraft's source code.

coming out of left field with something many have done before him but profiting off it because people inexplicably pick it up and stuff money in his undeserving pockets?

Because he did it better. It's nigh-impossible to do something "original", it's now all about doing it better than everyone else. Which Notch has. Prove me wrong. And even if you give me an example of someone doing Minecraft better than Minecraft, I still can't think of Notch as "undeserving".

OT: What the hell, Bethesda? I was almost totally excited for Skyrim, and then you had to go and kill my enthusiasm with a lawsuit.

Better question for you.
Why are you badgering me?
Are you so insecure you can't take an opinion - one shared by most of the "fandom" MineCraft has, but still... - ?
I have nothing to prove to you. Please be bored elsewhere.

Its a public forum, if you make a comment, and someone wants you to back it up, you can ignore it, or defend your position. If you have the inability to back up your statement, don't make it. Don't take the easy way out and coup out when someone challenges it.

thiosk:

CezarIgnat:
They have stupid lawyers ... assholes...

There is no other kind of lawyer than stupid lawyer assholes.

Uh, no, that's frankly the stupidest thing I've heard all day, congratulations.

Anyway, yeah this is kind of silly, it's possible that the Bethesda lawyers are obligated to contact any videogame company making a title with Scrolls in the name or something though.

God Bethesda is sue happy they sue interplay and now Mojang. I love their games but trying to copyright words in their names is like suing someone for having the word elder and their are tons of games that do.

Looks like another Developer I'm about ready to strike off my list. Pretty soon at this rate I'll just be purchasing Valve, Indie games and/or quit gaming altogether.

I don't care if it is the publishers pushing it. The titles are nothing similar and I have never heard of Elder Scrolls referred to as anything but Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Just like another poster above said anytime I bring up the games with Elder Scrolls the people I'm talking to just have a blank stare until I name the actual title.

Pessimist:
Except I explained why I dislike Notch and you were forcing me to pull up google for you or even ask others around this very board for what I just said. This is not WIki, I do not need to cite sources, because even if you beleive me or not - your opinion shouldn't be influenced. Ultimately, it wastes everyone's time if I go out of my way to shove the obvious into the open.

That said, I wonder what he's going to do with \ about Terraria.

Just saying he´s smug and lazy isn't explaining yourself...

Strixvaliano:
Looks like another Developer I'm about ready to strike off my list. Pretty soon at this rate I'll just be purchasing Valve, Indie games and/or quit gaming altogether.

I don't care if it is the publishers pushing it. The titles are nothing similar and I have never heard of Elder Scrolls referred to as anything but Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Just like another poster above said anytime I bring up the games with Elder Scrolls the people I'm talking to just have a blank stare until I name the actual title.

Don't judge just to soon, wait for a response from Bethesda first, might just be something silly in the lawyers contract.

This is pretty retarded, they can't own the rights to a commonly used word.

Pessimist:
That said, I wonder what he's going to do with \ about Terraria.

Play the hell out of it, if his twitter account's anything to go by >.>

If you listen carefully you can hear Bethesda's PR guys banging their heads on walls.

Dear lawyers of the world: Well there's a way to distinguish the two, the one that came first just happens to be the ELDER SCROLLS. Discussion over legal pitbulls, I don't see the many "marts" of the world suing for sole ownership of that surname so can we not be assholes and learn to use our better judgement before trying to copyright entire dictionaries? Oops forgot who I was talking to.

Strixvaliano:

The "manconomy" didn't sour you on valve? It worked for me.

whaleswiththumbs:
Bethesda has Edge-fever now...

Why do you think no one in ancient history used scrolls? It was all papyrus, wax/clay tablets.

That claim holds no water. If this does go into court, Bethesda should owe Mojang court fees at the least.

If it works... I'll be right back once I've finished copyrighting the entire Oxford English Dictionary.

I like Fallout quite a bit, but missed Morrowind and Oblivion. I'm on the fence about Skyrim. Game developer wise, I like Bethesda, but I'm not overly attached to them. If they follow through with this SLAPP happy trademark trolling, then I have no problems with letting that decide if I get Skyrim or not. For clarification, it will let me decide that no, I will not give them money. "Scrolls" is a word. It is a word in regular usage, in everyday life. Very much like, "Edge". If all they have going for them in this lawsuit is the use of a single commonly used word, then I hope that someone in Bethesda's legal department gets fired for this. And I hope that wherever this goes to court, there's an Anti-Slapp law

If Bethesda didn't own Brink,Rage and Obsidian right now my rage for them would be accumulating even tho I don't particularly find Mojang that hypeworthy.

thiosk:

CezarIgnat:
They have stupid lawyers ... assholes...

There is no other kind of lawyer than stupid lawyer assholes.

Please, give this man many medals, because he's right.
Reminds me of the Rowan Atkinson sketch...

Pessimist:
I refuse to spoonfeed, again, the obvious to people unwilling to ask people THEY know or open up google.
I'm nobody's mom, I'm nobody's secretary. I'm not being paid to back my opinion up which will NOT change yours.
You discuss things, I discussed that I hate Notch because he's lazy [and he is], and you don't beleive me.
Don't use the Wiki "back it up!" excuse to make me work harder for your sake. I don't like people enough to -ever- do this.

To be fair I don't specifically remember, something about a patch breaking something that he only restored way later or some such. I saw it on a thread here a month ago. but, again, it's Notch so who cares.

He's just asking you to support your opinion. At this rate you are beginning to look like Faux 'News' when they go "Liberals are EVULLLZ!", then stick their fingers in their ears and go "LALALALALALA" when somebody tries to present a counter argument. It makes your opinion more credible and less likely to just be flame bait when you support it.

No_Remainders:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch

Because hating someone for making a very successful indie game is totally justified...?

OT: Dear Bethesda,

Fuck off and die. First they pull the bullshit with Interplay claiming that the packaging of Interplay's FO and FO2 box confused people with FO3 (which was utter bullshit), now this?

Really?

to give beth its due it was over more then that (the box set of fo1, fo2 and foTactics was called the Fallout trillogy, which could have lead to people thinking it had fo3 in it)

it is largly over a breach of the licencing contract by interplay to have funding and full development by x date, which according to beth they didn't.

OT: on this i can kinda see beth's point their might be some confusion due to it baring a kinda similar name, this does seem like a pointless endevour, they could have if they cared that much for notch to change its name to i dunno Tomb or summit.

Skyrim over "Scrolls" any day, so whatever.

Pessimist:

Uber Evil:

Pessimist:
I refuse to spoonfeed, again, the obvious to people unwilling to ask people THEY know or open up google.
I'm nobody's mom, I'm nobody's secretary. I'm not being paid to back my opinion up which will NOT change yours.
You discuss things, I discussed that I hate Notch because he's lazy [and he is], and you don't beleive me.
Don't use the Wiki "back it up!" excuse to make me work harder for your sake. I don't like people enough to -ever- do this.

To be fair I don't specifically remember, something about a patch breaking something that he only restored way later or some such. I saw it on a thread here a month ago. but, again, it's Notch so who cares.

He's just asking you to support your opinion. At this rate you are beginning to look like Faux 'News' when they go "Liberals are EVULLLZ!", then stick their fingers in their ears and go "LALALALALALA" when somebody tries to present a counter argument. It makes your opinion more credible and less likely to just be flame bait when you support it.

Except Fox claims to report facts and I very clearly reported my OPINION :-P.
The support is seething hate. The support is other people he could ask. But oh wait that's too convenient, make the guy work for it.
Really, this doesn't interest me in the slightest. If he's so offended\curious\whatever then GOOGLE or other people like I said. That simple.

And you know how convenient it is for you to support your opinion? It is actually much more convenient. Why let others represent your opinion when you can do it yourself? If other argue your opinion for you it might be misrepresented and make you look like an idiot. When you support your own opinion you can adequately justify why you think what you think.

No_Remainders:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch

Because hating someone for making a very successful indie game is totally justified...?

Fuck off and die. First they pull the bullshit with Interplay claiming that the packaging of Interplay's FO and FO2 box confused people with FO3 (which was utter bullshit), now this?

Really?

Woah, simmer down, it's not Bethesda's fault but their lawyers >:P

As a future law student, I've read some legal motions already, and might be able to make sense of it if it wasnt in Swedish.

Undead Dragon King:
As a future law student, I've read some legal motions already, and might be able to make sense of it if it wasnt in Swedish.

Provide the text and I can translate it for you if you want.

I remember thinking that Bethesda couldn't make themselves seem like bigger douche-nozzles than when they claimed that Interplay only had rights to use the name "Fallout" and that Interplay were going out of their way to try and undermine Bethesda's work.

It vaguely reminds me of when Microsoft sued the folk behind Lindows (now Linspire), which if I recall correctly because "Windows" was such a generic name it was silly to try and enforce it against anything that was remotely similar.

His reply should be "fuck you I'm in sweden" like the pirate bay does. Then sue them for abuse of process assuming sweden has decent laws like that.

James Charles:

No_Remainders:
[quote="Pessimist" post="7.305026.12244404"]I hate Notch

OT: on this i can kinda see beth's point their might be some confusion due to it baring a kinda similar name, this does seem like a pointless endevour, they could have if they cared that much for notch to change its name to i dunno Tomb or summit.

But if he changed it to "Tomb" then whoever is helming the latest S.S. Lara Croft project is going to sue him too.

I'm actually glad you said that, because that was what my point was going to be. Since there are millions of games out there now, it's pretty much impossible to have a game title that doesn't share at least one word with at least one other game.

I mean, Capcom has Darkstalkers and Vigil has Darksiders, you didn't see Capcom getting all up in arms about people getting confused between the titles. I know this is hyperbole, but it's pretty much the same thing. They're both different games and one has been around for a lot longer than the other has, only an idiot couldn't tell the difference between the two.

This is just petty. I don't think there's anything more to say.

James Crook:

No_Remainders:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch

Really?

Bethesda's lawyers represent them, when their lawyers act like assholes it is Bethesda acting like assholes.
From now on I guess everyone has to name their games with a random series of letters to avoid using words anyone else has used.

So according to bethsheda, Scrolls can't be used in any videogames ever now? Sorry Ninja Gaiden and Final Fantasy and every rpg not in space ever.

weker:
Again as I posted on CVG most people will side with notch because he is the under dog.
Many people know elder scrolls as scrolls and if Bethesda are doing I doubt it's because they want to hurt notch.
Law is the law after all.

Are you fucking kidding me? What you're claiming is that Bethesda has the word 'scrolls' patented.

Pessimist:
My point -still- , nearly a page after the fact, being that I have no reason or obligation to explain my opinion to people who cannot use GOOGLE of all things.
I've never bent to any silly social pressure. Including memes, Facebook, twittering. Certainly not going to start -now-.

Off-topic on-topic random thought : holy christ what if they actually hired that guy to do something in\ for Skyrim . Or if this gave him the idea to code a dragon into minecraft.

You aren't getting what they're saying, 'Notch is lazy' is not a objective fact, its your opinion, how the hell are they supposed to get your opinion off google? There is plenty of people who think Notch is lazy, for lots of different reasons, but why do you think he is? You stated your opinion without any reasons for it, so when you were asked you should've either gave your personal reasons, or ignored him; not bit his head off and acted like he was 'badgering' you.

I discussed that I hate Notch because he's lazy [and he is], and you don't beleive me.

You didnt discuss Notch, you said you hated Notch. Their is a difference.

I've never bent to any silly social pressure. Including memes, Facebook, twittering. Certainly not going to start -now-.

I have no freakin idea what Twitter has to do with not wanting any discussion on a discussion forum.

O.T. I don't play Minecraft, but this is just silly. Don't they realise how Cobra-esque this makes them look?

Will they stop sueing everyone for everything? They're doing the same thing to Interplay, constantly failing and being denied. Nobody will look at a game called Scrolls and thing: Jee willikers, this must be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, there's no way this could be an unrelated game with one word of the title being the same.

Darknacht:

James Crook:

No_Remainders:

Really?

Bethesda's lawyers represent them, when their lawyers act like assholes it is Bethesda acting like assholes.
From now on I guess everyone has to name their games with a random series of letters to avoid using words anyone else has used.

But all lawyers are assholes...

Yeah I just found the video clip :D

Pessimist:
By realizing I MENTIONED people share this view if you just ask them.
Also, googling for "notch is lazy" will probably bring you to posts, or even videos explaining why better than a guy who never played minecraft can.
I'm being vindictive, not unfair =3

What people? You´re assuming I will luck out and find the people that share the exact same view as you and that I then can draw the line that it was what you mean?!

Just give your argument for why he is lazy and smug and stop digging yourself deeper in the ground

weker:
Again as I posted on CVG most people will side with notch because he is the under dog.
Many people know elder scrolls as scrolls and if Bethesda are doing I doubt it's because they want to hurt notch.
Law is the law after all.

No, most people know it as The Elder Scrolls series, so there's very little way of confusing the two. Unless Bethesda have then intention of anyone using the words 'Elder'or 'Scrolls' in a title, they should back off. I don't think you can copyright a word, if you could then this would apply something like 'Worst Witch' or 'Red Ridding Hood'.

OT:
This is bs, unless it has something to do with the content rather than the title.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here