Bethesda Says Mojang's Scrolls Infringes on Elder Scrolls Mark

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

weker:
Again as I posted on CVG most people will side with notch because he is the under dog.
Many people know elder scrolls as scrolls and if Bethesda are doing I doubt it's because they want to hurt notch.
Law is the law after all.

No, most people know it as The Elder Scrolls series, so there's very little way of confusing the two. Unless Bethesda have then intention of anyone using the words 'Elder'or 'Scrolls' in a title, they should back off. I don't think you can copyright a word, if you could then this would apply something like 'Worst Witch' or 'Red Ridding Hood'.

OT:
This is bs, unless it has something to do with the content rather than the title.

The naming similarity seems so minor, compared to other games with similar titles like God of War and Gears of War. Also whoever made the first thing with the word "The" in it should now sue everything ever that has that word "The" in it.(Sarcasm voice)

At least Notch has a couple of bucks to defend himself from this frivolous lawsuit.

kebab4you:

Pessimist:
By realizing I MENTIONED people share this view if you just ask them.
Also, googling for "notch is lazy" will probably bring you to posts, or even videos explaining why better than a guy who never played minecraft can.
I'm being vindictive, not unfair =3

What people? You´re assuming I will luck out and find the people that share the exact same view as you and that I then can draw the line that it was what you mean?!

Just give your argument for why he is lazy and smug and stop digging yourself deeper in the ground

Leave the guy alone, he clearly doesn't like working to prove a point.
Although he'll happily argue the point that he doesn't need to argue a point with evidence for another two pages 0.o

OT: This is stupid, I may sue Bethesda because they have an s in their name and so do I. I'm going to be rich.

if so many ppl thought Notch was a lazy and deserving hate, you'd think at least one other person would've agreed with you in this thread.

Panzervaughn:
Im looking forward to Mojangs next Project 'The Oldest parchment: airledge'

I lolled. Kudos sir. Id buy that.

Ridiculous. You cant trademark such a common noun as "scroll", thats insane.

Andy Chalk:
-snip-

Some guy named cityeyes over the twitter stuff commented, posted a link of the trans for that photo and it apparently roughly says this: Really, insanely rough, inaccurate, and fragmented translation run through OCR software and then put through Google translate. There are a lot of words missing, but for the most part, you can fill in the blanks.

My principal creates and publishes interactive entertainment on platforms including TV, game consoles and handheld: treeless (wireless?) units. The company has a long and successful history, and is behind several award-winning games, including the world famous game series (The brand THE ELDER SCROLL) is protected concerns include + ALI entertainment goods and services, appears, then including computer and video games. In the EU, is my principal including the holders of registered Community trade marks with registration number 2840098 and 8283161.

It has come to my principal's knowledge that Mojang AB ("Mojang"), users can sign SCROLL in the marketing of an upcoming computer and/or video game. The sign SCROLL exhibits significant visual, aural and conceptual similarities with my principal brand The Elder Scrolls. These similarities, strengthened by the fact that in the entertainment industry, including computer games industry, are cases that goods and services with a common commercial origin are marketed under the characteristics that are constructed from a common brand elements. For example, the company Nintendo's world famous Mario series of games titles like Mario Brothers. and Super Mario Bros or company Blizzard's Warcraft series of games titles that feature Orcs and Humans and World of Warcraft. There is thus an obvious risk of an average consumer to get the idea that the goods and / or services provided under the sign SCROLL and The Elder Scrolls are from the same commercial origin or at least from economically-linked undertaking. Against this background, it is our notion that the use of the sign SCROLL constitutes an infringement of my principal.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/j9ydw/notchs_letter_from_bethesda_in_swedish_translate/c2acsge

OT: I love Elder Scrolls, but I have a feeling that angry fans might be crashing into them soon...

Pessimist:
I'm doing no such thing. It's just your [invalid] opinion that I am.
More useless pressure to do something I don't care, or want to do and certainly don't NEED to do.
You are not important to me. If you cannot use Google, I feel sorry for you.

I "assume" nothing. If among X million people by entering "notch is lazy" or " notch sucks" into google you get nothing then that certainly isn't my problem - you would find something if you tried.

Now you can all just move on and try to bait someone else, because this stubborn bastard isn't caving >=3.

Sup, i googled notch is lazy. And i found this.

http://lokkazad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/NotchWorkEthic.png

This proves notch works very very very hard. It was the first result. What the hell lol?

Working for 2 years and a bit, taken 203 days off at random.

104 weekend days in a year, if he had taken normal weekends like everyone else he would have taken 208 break days not counting christmas or summer. He works harder than your average cubicle worker.

**Meanwhile at Tim Langdells contempt of court trial**

"We own the word Scroll now" Yeahhhhhhhh didn't go to well for Mr Landgdell when he said he owned the word edge. I think they should quietly just STFU and not anger the army of minecraft players out there.

BiscuitTrouser:

This proves notch works very very very hard. It was the first result. What the hell lol?

Pessimist is probably just butt hurt because Notch fixed a bug in minecraft that he was exploiting. thats probably what happened.

Nothing screams "butt-hurt nerd" like irrational, unsupported hatred.

No_Remainders:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch

Because hating someone for making a very successful indie game is totally justified...?

He's just one those dicks who thinks that hating anything popular makes them better than us all.

Anyway, Bethesda "The Lawyer Part" or Bethesda "The Game-making Part", I've decided I'm just gonna buy Skyrim pre-owned. I'm not paying whatever w*nker thought this was a good idea.

Pessimist:
I refuse to spoonfeed, again, the obvious to people unwilling to ask people THEY know or open up google.
I'm nobody's mom, I'm nobody's secretary. I'm not being paid to back my opinion up which will NOT change yours.
You discuss things, I discussed that I hate Notch because he's lazy [and he is], and you don't beleive me.
Don't use the Wiki "back it up!" excuse to make me work harder for your sake. I don't like people enough to -ever- do this.

To be fair I don't specifically remember, something about a patch breaking something that he only restored way later or some such. I saw it on a thread here a month ago. but, again, it's Notch so who cares.

If your opinion is as worthless as you think, don't bother posting it.

OT: Bethesda seem to have very little to gain here, and a lot to lose. Being allied with Mojang makes way more sense than controlling the word 'Scrolls'. And this is very confusing since Todd Howard and Notch seemed to get along very well.

Hopefully it'll be sorted out, though if they keep this up, I may reconsider Skyrim being a release-day purchase.

weker:

Many people know elder scrolls as scrolls

News to me O.o every time I/gamers I've spoken with bring up the Elder Scrolls series its either Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind etc. Even if I need to bring up scrolls, it always has Elder before it. I have never heard the Elder Scrolls referred to as 'Scrolls', ever.

OT - I do hope it's just lawyers being stupid. While I didn't enjoy Oblivion, I am going to give Skyrim a chance (once it comes down in price after initial launch). Only time will tell though, but I am siding with Notch on this one. I tried googling games with 'Scroll' in their name but couldn't find anything other than Elder Scrolls (and these online MMORPG things). Maybe someone else can who has better luck/better memory than me XD

Pessimist:

BiscuitTrouser:

Pessimist:
I'm doing no such thing. It's just your [invalid] opinion that I am.
More useless pressure to do something I don't care, or want to do and certainly don't NEED to do.
You are not important to me. If you cannot use Google, I feel sorry for you.

I "assume" nothing. If among X million people by entering "notch is lazy" or " notch sucks" into google you get nothing then that certainly isn't my problem - you would find something if you tried.

Now you can all just move on and try to bait someone else, because this stubborn bastard isn't caving >=3.

If you can't see the ONE HUNDRED days off taken in 2010 then there is something wrong with you.
Perhaps fanboy syndrmoe.
That was actually what I meant. Once he saw his precious little "project" was selling to the sheep, he pretty much gave up then realized oi blimey I gotta work a good half a year later.
Embarassing.

There are 104 weekend days in a year. 52 weeks a year. 2 weekend days on each. If he had taken regular breaks he would have taken 4 more days off. 100 days is nothing. You are wrong and basic maths proves hateboy syndrome. This doesnt account for christmas breaks and easter breaks also.

If you cant see that 100 is less than 104 days off taken in 2010 there is something seriously wrong with you.
Perhaps hateboy syndrmoe
That was actually what i meant. Once he saw his precious little project was selling to the deserving audience he pretty much started working normal hours like it was his job.
Logical.

Pessimist:
Thank you for blatantly jumping the troll bridge.
+ignore get.
Moving on fact avenue...
...why does this Bethesda Vs lazy person nonsense remind me of Sony VS GeoHot ?

I see. Any logical defence to my well reasoned maths. Please if you may point out where i was trolling. I would love to know for the future so as to not cause any offence. Fact avenue has a little house called 104. Its further along than house 100. I dont understand why you will not see basic fact and reason. Cmon, for someone who lives on fact avenue you dont seem to own many facts. Or in fact be able to disprove apparent "non facts". Cmon, im an obvious "troll" apparently. Take a tiny second to prove im a troll. I will send you 50 dollers in my paypall if you can refute my arguement. And a copy of minecraft.

Well kids this is standard industry stuff, anyone with a patent or copyright will be throwing their lawyers around to see if they can scam anyone into a quick settlement, smaller the opposition better the odds.

DLC isn't the only way to make a quick buck ;)

Pessimist:
I post what I want. Sorry, freedom of speech yap yap yap.
Besides it's only worthless if the people against it can't appreciate it. Fanboys, and the like.
Bethesda tries making good games....with bad decisions. I think after New vegas they're sliiiightly panicking.

Obvious troll is very, very obvious.

On the actual topic, I think that Notch is right about it just "lawyers being lawyers". They're trying to do their job, but it seems they've been a little overzealous here. This brings back hilarious flashbacks of Edge, though.

I'm still gonna buy Skyrim anyway. When many of the people crying foul to this are the same ones that think New Vegas was made by Bethesda, that's not the side of the bandwagon I want to be standing on. The weight of the idiocy will tip it over.

Well, Chances are Bethesda's going to contact there lawyers and tell them to drop it. Because they do not need this when a big title of their own is about to drop.

I have a better idea! Blizzard should sue Notch because "Minecraft" sounds similar to "Warcraft".
I'm genius.

Pessimist:
The other guy? Definitely.

Unwarranted drive-by insults from a person not involved? Also check.
You know the forest you preach about has trees in it right?
I'm waiting for the justification of the very first cutscene of New Vegas being bugged getting justified. I CANNOT wait for the fanboys to gush about how that was totally the plan - to have the first NPC you encounter have a head that spins around on its' own neck in psychadelic HELL.

I assume you mean Langdell when you refer to "the other guy".

And this is a public forum, anyone can get involved in a conversation. If you want to have a private one, the Escapist has a chat room.

Also, I don't really understand the tree metaphor...

James Crook:

Darknacht:

James Crook:

Woah, simmer down, it's not Bethesda's fault but their lawyers >:P

Bethesda's lawyers represent them, when their lawyers act like assholes it is Bethesda acting like assholes.
From now on I guess everyone has to name their games with a random series of letters to avoid using words anyone else has used.

But all lawyers are assholes...

That is because that is what they are paid to be. If Bethesda paid their lawyers to be shiny happy people they would be.

I dont see why you cant use the word Scrolls, its like not being able to use "Call of _____" due to Call of Duty being so popular.

Pessimist:
I like how nobody even remotely addressed the "What if Skyrim sucks?" question =3

Well, that's not the topic of this thread, it's the supposed Bethesda name infringement.

SirBryghtside:

Also, if it is real (which it probably is), remember it's NOT Bethesda Game Studios, the devs. It's the Publishers.

This. I'm waiting to see how this all plays out... Hopefully nothing comes of it, but if if shit does go down... then I will be one pissed off TES/Minecraft fan.

SirBryghtside:
I'm doubting how real this is. Apparently one of the things it says in the letter is 'my employer invented the word Scrolls'.

wut

Also, if it is real (which it probably is), remember it's NOT Bethesda Game Studios, the devs. It's the Publishers.

BGS are still awesome, no matter what the lawyers do.

Yeah, pubs != devs. Even if they are in the same building.

I'm still buying Skyrim.

*holds up a knife*

NOBODY IS STOPPING ME!

Wouldn't be the first time the lawyers make a case before actually telling the dev, can remember reading about activisions lawyers going after the 'world of starcraft' designer until blizz heard and called them off.

This gives Bethesda so much bad pr it is just silly. Surely they must understand that.

They should backtrack very fast and apologise to Notch if they want to keep their reputation in anyway intact after this.

Did a search on gamefaqs database for games with "scrolls" or "elder" in the title and while there's really no other games than TES using those words, they must have solid evidence to make a case since the shitstorm that'll come from this will lose some fans if it's frivolous. And if it does get thrown out, Bethesda deserves the FUBAR award.

Oh boy, time to jump on the Hipster bandwagon. "I HATEZ BETHESDA DERP, I'MA NOT BUY THEIR GAMEZ HERP!!!!1!11" This will no doubt be done and forgotten in a week or two.

Gitty101:
Oh boy, time to jump on the Hipster bandwagon. "I HATEZ BETHESDA DERP, I'MA NOT BUY THEIR GAMEZ HERP!!!!1!11" This will no doubt be done and forgotten in a week or two.

You think it's ok to bully smaller companies with frivolous legal threaths then?

Good for you.

I no lawyer but i'm pretty sure you can't trademark a word thats in common usage (though i'm sure you can trademark the word in a particular font or logo).

so pretty much no case here.

I'm still surprised that Squeenix didn't sue MistWalker over the Last Story...

Last = Final
Story = Fantasy

hmm...

but clearly, use of the word scrolls from now on belongs to Bethesda.

On a related note Super Mario Brothers founder Nintendo has laid claim to the word super. Unfortunately many former superheroes now have to refer to themselves as exceptional heroes. Most are okay with the change however Clark Kent had to change his hero attire to have a red 'E' on it depicting Exceptional Man.

I hope the Fallout from this Scrolls controversy doesn't drive anyone over the Brink.

Pessimist:
That said, I wonder what he's going to do with \ about Terraria.

He absolutely adores it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or