Bethesda Says Mojang's Scrolls Infringes on Elder Scrolls Mark

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

In other news, the unofficial, fanbase name for the new "sky dimension" in Minecraft will be "Skyrim".

I dont care much for Mojang, but even I find it funny seeing Bethesda lawyers doing the whole "Edge" thing of saying they own a word of the English dictionary.

Pessimist:

No_Remainders:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch

Because hating someone for making a very successful indie game is totally justified...?

OT: Dear Bethesda,

Fuck off and die. First they pull the bullshit with Interplay claiming that the packaging of Interplay's FO and FO2 box confused people with FO3 (which was utter bullshit), now this?

Really?

I hate him for being smug and lazy, coming out of left field with something many have done before him but profiting off it because people inexplicably pick it up and stuff money in his undeserving pockets?

as for Bethesda. I think of it as "that one company" that can't make games properly. They have a world, a story, good writing. And then it doesn't work. It's all broken, glitchy, disjointed. Fallout 3 had awkward 2 foot barriers and 15 long metro trips for one quest destination ,New Vegas froze every 2 minutes for an hour straight [I wish I was kidding], and so forth and so forth.

I think of Bethesda as the company most likely to be assimilated by Valve. Because neither studio pushes out games that -work- correctly most of the time [hi Crash Course \ L4D]

Are you serious with that last bit?
YOU ARE!
HAHAHAHAAHHAAHA!
So Valve INSTANTLY doesn't make games that work because 1 campaign that was a DLC for a full pledged game that worked that also was fun, demonizes them, they also fixed those bugs, seems like YOU got a grudge. Yeah, but lets take this whole thing at face value, if you WERE right, then I can't play either Fallout game without encountering a glitch within about a hour. Well, be surprised because I never UPDATED either Fallout title on my 360, and they run pitch perfect, so, right there I guess. Well, to the topic, I think Notch won't get sued because the people that would leave Bethesda's side would be TOO GREAT, losing customers is way more deathly then one being confused.

EverythingIncredible:
I have a difficult time believing that Bethesda thinks they're going to win this one.

I think they're trying to delay the Adventure update so that they can release Skyrim more unopposed. And if that's the case, well fuck you too Bethesda.

I don't think they're doing it to delay the update, that's a little too evil. Still, this is bullshit, no way this can stand up in court.

Welcome to the world that your entertainment dollars have purchased and allowed to flourish. Aren't you proud?

lately Bethesda seems to be more and more sue crazy over really weird things

Slayer_2:

EverythingIncredible:
I have a difficult time believing that Bethesda thinks they're going to win this one.

I think they're trying to delay the Adventure update so that they can release Skyrim more unopposed. And if that's the case, well fuck you too Bethesda.

I don't think they're doing it to delay the update, that's a little too evil. Still, this is bullshit, no way this can stand up in court.

This is actually something that is fairly common. Companies sue other companies just to ruin their plans.

the antithesis:
Welcome to the world that your entertainment dollars have purchased and allowed to flourish. Aren't you proud?

Actually, I voted for the other guy.

Well...I can see where Bethesda is getting at. If someone said heard of that "scrolls" game..Id go right to The Elder Scrolls. However...I think Skyrim and the rest of the series wont be harmed by that. If anything, the scrolls game suffers. I think Bethesda is wasting time though with this one.

Pessimist:
I hate Notch, but Bethesda throwing a hissyfit over this is priceless.
It's like they're going to copyright the word "scrolls" to avoid you mixing up a detailed, good-graphic exploration-rpg with a blocky pixelated sandbox build-a-thon.
Derp.

Off topic here, but wow reading your posts on this thread is entertaining. Its like a car crash where you cant look away, you post ridiculous things then when people confront you with logic you refuse to address them

This is ridiculous and I hope he either takes it to court or gets Bethesda to back out. Scrolls does not equal The Elder Scrolls. The idea that Bethesda owns the plural of "Scroll" is just.. so very wrong.

Pessimist:

Macrobstar:

Pessimist:
I hate Notch, but Bethesda throwing a hissyfit over this is priceless.
It's like they're going to copyright the word "scrolls" to avoid you mixing up a detailed, good-graphic exploration-rpg with a blocky pixelated sandbox build-a-thon.
Derp.

Off topic here, but wow reading your posts on this thread is entertaining. Its like a car crash where you cant look away, you post ridiculous things then when people confront you with logic you refuse to address them

Congrats on taking time out to be incorrect and insulting.
Sorry you can't grasp logic and facts.
Can the prepubescent kids stop jerking off over me and move on now?
I know I'm new and scary and of course aware that "DOES NOT AGREE WITH = TROLL" but really now =3.
You even went off-topic purely to be incorrect. What's with this obsession with me you creepy stalkers :-D

Jesus you can't just be intelligent and address what people have said to you can you?
An opinion is fine but don't expect it to be valid when you can't even produce reasons for it or counter simple logic

Pessimist:

Macrobstar:

Pessimist:

I know I'm new and scary and of course aware that "DOES NOT AGREE WITH = TROLL" but really now =3.
You even went off-topic purely to be incorrect. What's with this obsession with me you creepy stalkers :-D

Jesus you can't just be intelligent and address what people have said to you can you?
An opinion is fine but don't expect it to be valid when you can't even produce reasons for it or counter simple logic

Address juvenile prepubescent internet child insults from people I never heard of, seen, or talked to that came 150% unwarranted?
I am. I'm dismissing it and laughing at it . Other than "can't be intelligent", you got it right.
It's valid enough to me, but people who after an hour of actually explaining they should do things for themselves find proof and insult me over it with the stubborn disbelief of a kid finding out Sailor Moon wasn't real is neither my fault, nor my problem.

Again, I am not your babysitter, you are not my job, you are not my family and none of you are my friends. Why would I want jerkface friends that insult me randomly?=3
Stop putting responsibility on me that doesn't exist, kids. Especially while DERAILING a topic *purely* to insult me, k?
Kkthx go to SPUF if you want to do the "creature under bridge" thing.

Your delusional, when did anyone insult you? And why do you keep calling us kids?

Ok lets start again shall we?
Hey Pessimist, why do you hate notch?

Macrobstar:

Pessimist:

Macrobstar:

Couldn't have said it better myself XD I'd been reading his comments as well and laughing at them. Some of them are just pathetic, especially when he pulled the troll card for no valid reason.

Pessimist:
I refuse to spoonfeed, again, the obvious to people unwilling to ask people THEY know or open up google.
I'm nobody's mom, I'm nobody's secretary. I'm not being paid to back my opinion up which will NOT change yours.
You discuss things, I discussed that I hate Notch because he's lazy [and he is], and you don't beleive me.
Don't use the Wiki "back it up!" excuse to make me work harder for your sake. I don't like people enough to -ever- do this.

To be fair I don't specifically remember, something about a patch breaking something that he only restored way later or some such. I saw it on a thread here a month ago. but, again, it's Notch so who cares.

I hate you because you're smug and lazy.
I'm only stating the obvious truth and don't have to back up my claims in any way, because this isn't a wiki.

Pessimist:

Aprilgold:

Pessimist:

I hate him for being smug and lazy, coming out of left field with something many have done before him but profiting off it because people inexplicably pick it up and stuff money in his undeserving pockets?

as for Bethesda. I think of it as "that one company" that can't make games properly. They have a world, a story, good writing. And then it doesn't work. It's all broken, glitchy, disjointed. Fallout 3 had awkward 2 foot barriers and 15 long metro trips for one quest destination ,New Vegas froze every 2 minutes for an hour straight [I wish I was kidding], and so forth and so forth.

I think of Bethesda as the company most likely to be assimilated by Valve. Because neither studio pushes out games that -work- correctly most of the time [hi Crash Course \ L4D]

Are you serious with that last bit?
YOU ARE!
HAHAHAHAAHHAAHA!
So Valve INSTANTLY doesn't make games that work because 1 campaign that was a DLC for a full pledged game that worked that also was fun, demonizes them, they also fixed those bugs, seems like YOU got a grudge. Yeah, but lets take this whole thing at face value, if you WERE right, then I can't play either Fallout game without encountering a glitch within about a hour. Well, be surprised because I never UPDATED either Fallout title on my 360, and they run pitch perfect, so, right there I guess. Well, to the topic, I think Notch won't get sued because the people that would leave Bethesda's side would be TOO GREAT, losing customers is way more deathly then one being confused.

Left 4 dead. FORCED broken gameplay mechanic.
"four campaigns for versus". Yeah. They release 2 on launch day. And the remaining 2? HALF A YEAR LATER.
But but but Crash Course! Yeah, WAY later and on release you could walk through almost -everything- . Ten seconds of playtesting would have found those bugs, but clearly, ten seconds is too much real time to spend testing your own faulty products.

Valve doesn't know what it's doing, fact. Period.
TF 2 is a good example. When I got it after the Medic update it was fun, quirky, balanced, ran fine.
Now it's a buggy, jumbly mess of freezing, crashing and hanging failure with rainbow-acidtrip hats and the "unique art style" gleefully thrown in the crapper for greedy corporate profitmongering.
TO be more specific, the first thing was Idling. 2-3 months without a word saying "don't do this", Valve suddenly humiliates you by calling you a filthy cheater, takes all the items you got and infact gives people too stupid to sign on during that time a hat for not idling - who would have idled anway. This split the fanbase ferociously because their dear company insulted them and because this came out of nowhere. You were now "less" because the fat cows at Valve deemed it so based on their own judgment.

Or hey, how about that "minor" update last year that was supposed to do something small and ended TOTALLY BREAKING steam friends? For hundreds of thousands of people, for six or so hours? Valve does not know how to program. Valve does not playtest and I'm -very- certain valve does not know what it is doing.
I'd normally laugh at pointing to SPUF for proof but go look. Even they notice that the Soldier has gotten so many launchers, melee items and gimmicky gear versus other classes like the Engineer that "balance" has gone out the window [rather, it drives that obvious point home].

Not to mention how they brutally markup games for non-americans and how they *steal* your games. I had TF 2. someone bought me the Orange Box. I thought I'd have an extra TF 2 to gift. Not according to Valve! You paid for TF 2 but you don't get it and they "can't" transfer games, which is complete total and utter bogus. Then the whole $1 is not €1 business.

I could seriously go on for a WHILE.

Will you quit your bitching?

Left 4 Dead: Those two missing campaigns for versus were released for FREE, along with a brand new mode so I thought it was worth any sort of wait. Also if you were on the PC you got free community maps and what are you talking about on "being able to walk through it?" The game was playtested very well and the bugs I saw were fixed pretty quickly.

TF2: TO be honest I don't play Team Fortress 2 too much but those bugs were fixed and they balanced everything out.

Also shut up. You refuse to give us your sources like any credible person on this site would. You keep this up and I'm pretty sure the mods will act. Give us your source of information or get out.

Also I searched up "Notch is lazy" and I got a chart detailing his development time for Minecraft. He worked his ass off and in 2010 which you keep bringing up, If he were to say take every weekend off, his vacation time would be shorter then that.

Pessimist:
My point -still- , nearly a page after the fact, being that I have no reason or obligation to explain my opinion to people who cannot use GOOGLE of all things.
I've never bent to any silly social pressure. Including memes, Facebook, twittering. Certainly not going to start -now-.

Really? You're going with the tried and true bullshit argument of 'Well, I'm not going to explain myself because I'm a rebel'?

Look, nobody on this board will take you seriously if you say something so incendiary and then insult them when they ask for you to explain yourself.

I's also like to point out that since you where the one to bring up Notch being supposedly 'smug' and 'lazy', that the burden of proof is upon you. It's a rhetorical cop-out to just say that "we're too lazy" to look up your goddamn arguments.

Wait, aren't Todd Howard and Notch friends? They just did an interview a month or two ago...this makes no sense....

Meh, don't care. It's unfair but I am certainly going to buy Skyrim and enjoy it.

What a class act.

Pessimist:

YunikoYokai5:

Macrobstar:

Couldn't have said it better myself XD I'd been reading his comments as well and laughing at them. Some of them are just pathetic, especially when he pulled the troll card for no valid reason.

Plenty of times, plenty of places.

Oh well, I'll end it on a high note like before.
I had an account here before, whatever I contributed was ignored and laughed at by illiterate xbox-wanking pieces of shit like you. I get infractions for defending myself from a bunch of american twats to stupid to die in 9\11 while people throwing around bona fide insults get nothing.
DEMOCRACY WOO! By which I mean corruption.

That first account got banned because someone sucked the mods or admins cocks too much. A year or two passed, I thought the retards left, but then I remembered - you can't take the people out of the internet.
A chainban will commence soon because I truly despite your guts and wait for the day either Iran, China, Russia or some other nuclear power slaps you with a missile and makes you realize you shouldn't flash your testicles when you are not hot shit any more.
I'm out, do whatever. I'll be back with a new IP when I feel like it, taking more vermin\accounts with me.

I'm ashamed to be called a human next to worthless animals like you, children.
In the meantime, try to avoid the impending nuclear missile, actually work on your awful education system and try to develop LOGIC and THINKING for yourself. Shoving facts ni your face did nothing but make yuo insult me. Americans indeed!
9\11 FTW.
Bye tards.

I just thought id point out that both the people you quoted are British according to their profiles... You cant write stuff like this folks.

Pessimist:

YunikoYokai5:

Macrobstar:

I had an account here before, whatever I contributed was ignored and laughed at by illiterate xbox-wanking pieces of shit like you. I get infractions for defending myself from a bunch of american twats to stupid to die in 9\11 while people throwing around bona fide insults get nothing.

That first account got banned because someone sucked the mods or admins cocks too much. A year or two passed, I thought the retards left, but then I remembered - you can't take the people out of the internet.
A chainban will commence soon because I truly despite your guts and wait for the day either Iran, China, Russia or some other nuclear power slaps you with a missile and makes you realize you shouldn't flash your testicles when you are not hot shit any more.
I'm out, do whatever. I'll be back with a new IP when I feel like it, taking more vermin\accounts with me.

In the meantime, try to avoid the impending nuclear missile, actually work on your awful education system and try to develop LOGIC and THINKING for yourself. Shoving facts ni your face did nothing but make yuo insult me. Americans indeed!
9\11 FTW.
Bye tards.

I don't mean to double post but can we report this asshole. You celebrating 9/11 is the lowest thing I know of. You whining is not helping anything and if you really think that way just get off this site. If not then work on your attitude.

Pessimist:

YunikoYokai5:

Macrobstar:

9\11 FTW.
Bye tards.

You may want to rephrase that, since I don't own an Xbox XD Never have, I own a PS3. You are also showing you immaturity by swearing, I'm also not American, I'm British. Watch where you throw your assumptions, they may be wrong XD

I also don't have testicles. I'm female :P

To try and keep this on topic, I'm pretty sure everyone is saying the same thing. Hopefully this whole thing will die a death and be brushed under the carpet never to be seen again.

simply report the child with the hissyfit and let's move on people.

OT : Kinda silly to sue somebody over a word like "scrolls". Why doesn't square-enix do something like that? i'm plenty sure that somebody used "fantasy" or "final" in their titles.

My only interest in scrolls (the mojang variety) at this point is, will it be more fun than MTG?

what the game is called in the end is meaningless. but i still hope bethesda gives it a rest though.

This reminds me of Ford complining that people might confuse 1of their 4x4's with the Feriari for this years F1 season casue they have a silmilar name. Companies like to push the limates of what they can get away with.

Oh yes I really need to post something on topic now. Though I honestly doubt I can say anything different then what everyone else has said.

OT: I'm pretty sure Notch and Tom are friends so it's probably just lawyers being idiots. You can't copyright Scrolls and no one would confuse Elder Scrolls with Scrolls. The reason being everyone calls the game by it's subtitle. Oblivion, Skyrim, Daggerfall, Morrowind. I never see anyone refer to the game by it's full title anyway.

Pessimist:
4 Dead FORCED broken gameplay mechanic.

That statement makes no sense...

Pessimist:
the remaining 2? HALF A YEAR LATER.

Welcome to Valve Time

Pessimist:
it's a buggy, jumbly mess of freezing, crashing and hanging failure with rainbow-acidtrip hats and the "unique art style" gleefully thrown in the crapper for greedy corporate profit mongering."

Valve is a privately owned games company. And perhaps it's your internet connections that's causing problems.

Pessimist:
Valve does not know how to program. Valve does not playtest and I'm -very- certain valve does not know what it is doing.

I challenge you to program your own game, then. Show us that you know what you're doing. And Valve doesn't know what it's doing? Is that why Half Life and Half Life 2 have been critically acclaimed and are considered to be two of the best games of all time?

So they're afraid that because they've cut so much content from Skyrim people will confuse it with a Mojang game?

Seems like a legitimate thing to be scared of, but Bethesda is still full of shit.

TO ANYONE HAVING A HEATED DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS:

DO NOT complain about Bethesda Game Studios here. There's a time and a place, but this is not it. They have done nothing wrong on this front.

It makes as much sense as attacking Splash Damage or iD here.

Pessimist:
Valve does not playtest

I'm not even going to address the rest of your idiotic post, i'm just going to focus on how WRONG this statement is.

Go play a Valve game with the developers commentary turned on, NO game company playtests more thoroughly than Valve.

Dear world, YOU CAN'T PATENT WORDS. Especially if those words have been in use for the past 1200 years.

Seriously, it didn't work with "Edge" it won't work with "scrolls"

Pessimist:

Macrobstar:

Pessimist:

Address juvenile prepubescent internet child insults from people I never heard of, seen, or talked to that came 150% unwarranted?
I am. I'm dismissing it and laughing at it . Other than "can't be intelligent", you got it right.
It's valid enough to me, but people who after an hour of actually explaining they should do things for themselves find proof and insult me over it with the stubborn disbelief of a kid finding out Sailor Moon wasn't real is neither my fault, nor my problem.

Again, I am not your babysitter, you are not my job, you are not my family and none of you are my friends. Why would I want jerkface friends that insult me randomly?=3
Stop putting responsibility on me that doesn't exist, kids. Especially while DERAILING a topic *purely* to insult me, k?
Kkthx go to SPUF if you want to do the "creature under bridge" thing.

He derailed it?

Is your name pot perchance? Because I've got a friend I think you'd like to meet. Name's kettle.

ServebotFrank:

I don't mean to double post but can we report this asshole. You celebrating 9/11 is the lowest thing I know of. You whining is not helping anything and if you really think that way just get off this site. If not then work on your attitude.

Yes, you can report a post by clicking the red button labeled "REPORT".

Also, can people stop responding to Pessimist and just let the moderators take care of him? Ever heard the part about feeding and trolls?

Pessimist:
Yes yes ure funny hururur
Actually you are just a little n1gger with no intelligence to be original, too stupid to realize what FACTS are and insulting others because you are an insecure c*nt.
9\11 FTW people. Shame only 3 thousand of you died there :-\

Actually, I'm Swedish, quite white, and much more familiar with the concept of irony than you are.
Stay classy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or