Bethesda Says Mojang's Scrolls Infringes on Elder Scrolls Mark

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I really like Bethesda, but if they're behind this I'll lose some respect for them. This sounds just petty and stupid, I like Notch and Bethesda, I'd hate to see them go at it over one stupid word.

BiscuitTrouser:

Pessimist:
Thank you for blatantly jumping the troll bridge.
+ignore get.
Moving on fact avenue...
...why does this Bethesda Vs lazy person nonsense remind me of Sony VS GeoHot ?

I see. Any logical defence to my well reasoned maths. Please if you may point out where i was trolling. I would love to know for the future so as to not cause any offence.

See, there is a troll between you and Pessimist, but it's not the one who he thinks it is.

Pessimist:

I'm ashamed to be called a human next to worthless animals like you, children.
In the meantime, try to avoid the impending nuclear missile, actually work on your awful education system and try to develop LOGIC and THINKING for yourself. Shoving facts ni your face did nothing but make yuo insult me. Americans indeed!
9\11 FTW.
Bye tards.

Pessimist:

Yes yes ure funny hururur
Actually you are just a little n1gger with no intelligence to be original, too stupid to realize what FACTS are and insulting others because you are an insecure c*nt.
9\11 FTW people. Shame only 3 thousand of you died there :-\

Man, I really miss trolls like you. Haven't seen your breed in quite a while around these forums. Anyway, here comes the banhammer.

Let's see, they're doing this in the wake of the whole Langdel fiasco, they're bullying a well-respected and loved indie developer, there's almost no way the two games could ever be confused, and they have no case anyway. All the evidence points towards Bethesda's public relations people being mentally retarded or on vacation at the moment. Either that, or the PR guy is currently eating the legal team alive, because there's no way they couldn't see how stupid this is and how hard it could bite them in the ass later on.

Saw this on another site, it's actually ZeniMax. Bethesda's parent company, not Bethesda itself.

Fuck off ZeniMax.

dancinginfernal:
Saw this on another site, it's actually ZeniMax. Bethesda's parent company, not Bethesda itself.

Could you source this please, i'd also like to read that article.
Never heard of that[ZeniMax being bethesda's parent company], but i'm not uptodate anyway

weker:
Again as I posted on CVG most people will side with notch because he is the under dog.
Many people know elder scrolls as scrolls and if Bethesda are doing I doubt it's because they want to hurt notch.
Law is the law after all.

I have NEVER heard the TES series(or ANY of the games in it) called "scrolls" by ANYONE, EVER. I have a proper,intense HATRED of Minecraft on a personal level and wouldn't side with an underdog(just as I don't support the continuity IRA just because there aren't very many of them and they have zero power)just BECAUSE they're the underdog either.

Fact is sometimes lawyers get their paymasters to take on LUDICROUS cases where there's little chance of anything, outside of court, or anyone feeling a real grievance even needs airing let alone compensating for-and this is one of those. The fact that the word "scrolls" now has little to no bearing on the games in the series, that the're all referred to by their individual subtitles anyway(I.E Morrowind etc)and that if anyone DOES refer to the series as a whole they usually say the whole thing or TES(esp in print where , I think, most discussion about their games goes on on the net)and never just "scrolls". Not in my experience anyway.

Even if they DID you'd have to, kind of, make out the word was either made popular by the series, by the dev or by the publisher elsewhere OR invented by them-none of which is strictly, you know, true, is it? Surely few people at Bethesda themselves can be THIS small minded and litigious over nothing and it only shows how hair triggered legal minds can be in seeing a case(and profit)where there's nothing.Christ, Notch doesn't make massive AAA games at all and this isn't gonna be a competitor to TES:Skyrim on any level at all, there's no similarity in the gameplay at all and, as far as I can see, no case or point at all beyond making a few lawyers a bit richer and a dev a bit poorer and delaying a game or two.

whaleswiththumbs:
Bethesda has Edge-fever now...

You read my mind and also made my sister point at the screen, well done.

Yeah, I saw Notch's post about this on his Tumblr. I share his hope that Bethesda isn't going to pull a Tim Langdell.

Those lawyers are troll-tastic, just like the guy that was wonderfully rubbed out of existence in this thread.

I give a pat on the back to the mods. It's always fun to be reading some troll antics and poof, oh, where'd he go? Keep up the awesome.

Just call the new game "Rolled Up Sheets Of Parchment." Simple fix.

EverythingIncredible:

Slayer_2:

EverythingIncredible:
I have a difficult time believing that Bethesda thinks they're going to win this one.

I think they're trying to delay the Adventure update so that they can release Skyrim more unopposed. And if that's the case, well fuck you too Bethesda.

I don't think they're doing it to delay the update, that's a little too evil. Still, this is bullshit, no way this can stand up in court.

This is actually something that is fairly common. Companies sue other companies just to ruin their plans.

Sometimes, yes. But this is the equivalent of McDonalds going after a hotdog vendor working a corner in downtown. I know Bethesda is a big hated company (the next Activision, perhaps), but really?

At the top of that letter to notch, the lawyer states that he is acting on behalf of ZeniMax Media Inc.
So does Bethesda have anything to do with this? Maybe the publisher is just trying to grab a few bucks off of Mojang.

What? Really? So if I got a kitten and called it Scrolls would they try and sue me too?

Surely you can use the word "scrolls" in a video game title. Maybe Microsoft has a trademark on "scoll bar" and they're going to sue zenimax now.

I am always so torn about Bethesda. They make amazing games - I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3, can't wait to start New Vegas which I just got, and I'm sure I'll love Skyrim in 20 years when I have a computer that can run it. But they are so terrible at PR. They don't upkeep their games after a few months, even not fixing game-breaking bugs, and it seems like every few months something like this pops up. I think the company itself may be an autistic savant.

Sonic Doctor:
Those lawyers are troll-tastic, just like the guy that was wonderfully rubbed out of existence in this thread.

I give a pat on the back to the mods. It's always fun to be reading some troll antics and poof, oh, where'd he go? Keep up the awesome.

I was looking for his profile. It's just gone. Crazy. They went Time Police on his ass.

Lulzy Bethesda. By this logic, any form of media with the word 'wars' in it is a complete copy write infringement on Star Wars.

Also, I guess some minecraft fans won't feel guilty giving Bethesda some pirate related problems in November.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Sonic Doctor:

I was looking for his profile. It's just gone. Crazy. They went Time Police on his ass.

I can't find him on my history. It's like Back to the Future where Doc say, "Erased...from existence."

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Sonic Doctor:

Yeah, it's one of those times I think about creating a virtual cookie and cake dispenser for the mods.

It's also kind of like the forum equivalent of a Jedi mind-trick.

Mods: There is no troll here, you are happily discussing how lawyers are being stupid.

Me: Lawyers, they are stupid.

Scizophrenic Llama:
I bring up Elder Scrolls and 60% of the time I get asked, "What is that?" and have to respond with Oblivion and then they go, "Oh!"

Same, one of my friends has taken to referring 11-11-11 as "skyrim day" and most of the time still blanks when I say the words Elder Scrolls

Slayer_2:
Sometimes, yes. But this is the equivalent of McDonalds going after a hotdog vendor working a corner in downtown. I know Bethesda is a big hated company (the next Activision, perhaps), but really?

Mojang is more than just some hotdog vendor, it's a pop culture phenomenon. And just as much competition as a AAA studio.

The Adventure update is without a doubt heavy competition for Skyrim given its nature.

This just in. I have copyrighted the word "the". You all owe me a squillion pounds. Each.

but todd and notch are friends how can this happen...

well isn't this insane. Taking legal action against a company because the name of their product is contained within your products' name.

This is like blizzard trying to take legal action because minecraft contains the sylabal "craft".

I still love bethesda but wow they need to strike off their legal department.

It's understandable, since copyright law is very fidgety and if you don't defend it it can be used against you in cases people are actually trying to dupe people. At least they're sending the letter now and not after the domain and logos and advertising campaign are all underway.

...OH CRAP I'M SCROLLING THE PAGE, IN YOUR FACE BETHESDA

Patrick Young:
but todd and notch are friends how can this happen...

Here's how:
http://www.wikihow.com/End-a-Fight-with-a-Friend

Fensfield:

HerbertTheHamster:
[Above]

... I intend to?

... so do I

Can't Bethesda just shut up and take my money? In no-way was a mincraft update going to deter me from buying what looks like one of the best games to come out this year. Just what the fuck are those lawyers thinking?
And to top things off, Notch is going to win by a landslide if this whole things does go through, because a) it's stupid to begin with and b)He now has the backing of the gaming commmunity(or at least the ones that care)

ya know i know everyone loves minecraft and Bethesda is seen as a big company and therefore hated for some weird reason but we have no facts has anyone else bar me stepped back and seen that Bethesda and zeni-max does not have a reputation for randomly suing people
and that notch may actually be infringing on the elder scrolls trade mark in some way? in which case Bethesda softworks would have to initiate legal actions or risk losing their trademark to someone actually evil like activation who has a history of suing people and trying to steal peoples trade marks

Maybe they thought that people wouldn't want their smelly old scrolls if people can get fresh new Scrolls?

InsaneMaggot:

dancinginfernal:

Could you source this please, i'd also like to read that article.
Never heard of that[ZeniMax being bethesda's parent company], but i'm not uptodate anyway

go here: http://bethsoft.com/ and read the bold small print (© 2011 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. All Rights Reserved.)

OT: I doubt this will hold up in court. Bethesda will have to do a lot of bullshitting to get the courts to agree with them saying the 'Scrolls' is going to get confused with 'The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim'. Companies claiming that using words in that happen to appear in the names of the franchises is a very slippery slope that will backlash on them very quickly because most game companies make games that share words with franchises that were created before them. This will be like Blizzard trying to sue companies that use the word 'CRAFT' in their game titles because it would be confusing with they products and brand(I don't know Swedish but it actually looks like that reference was used in the document...)

weker:

Law is the law after all.

THANK YOU.

This sounds like something both groups will work out quickly. I doubt Bethesda wants people banging the "Boycott Skyrim" drum yet.

Hristo Tzonkov:
If Bethesda didn't own Brink,Rage and Obsidian right now my rage for them would be accumulating even tho I don't particularly find Mojang that hypeworthy.

I didn't know they owned Obsidian. If they do, why did they work for Square Enix with Dungeon Seige 3?

OT: We don't know all the legal mumbo-jumbo yet. I'll have to ask my uncle what he thinks next time I see him

dancinginfernal:

Fuck off ZeniMax.

It is Zenimax people, not Bethesda. ZeniMax owns Bethesda. Stop going "OMG teh Beths suck!", your only acting like quite the child. Publishers have done worse, don't let such minor acts drive you into a uproar.

Some people just act as if this shows how Skyrim will be quality wise.

~Efrit

Scizophrenic Llama:

I also doubt a card game and open world RPG will have much of a consumer clash.

I'm more worried about why they think that Skyrim and a card game are so very familiar... I mean, we haven't seen a ton of gameplay, maybe Bethesda has been very choosey about what they show us and keeping the 99% of the game that is deck-based under wraps.

Because Bethesda is the VERY first game studio every to use the word "Scrolls" in their name... or "Elder"... or "The." Bravo, lawyers... Bravo.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here