British Media Blames Games For London Riots

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

British Media Blames Games For London Riots

Civil unrest? Political activism? Rage against the machine? According to the Evening Standard, the London riots can all be pinned on Grand Theft Auto.

In case you've entirely missed the news over the last few days, London is embroiled in a series of violent uprisings. According to Reuters, locals blame the riots on political unrest, while politicians and police pin the blame on "criminal thugs."

The latest dead tree edition of the Evening Standard is emblazoned with the headline "Lawless London" and an image of two burned out cars amidst rubble on a city street. Below that headline is a blurb that reads "children as young as ten, inspired by video game, among the looters."

Initially that seems hyperbolic, but the Standard's story quotes both an anonymous police officer and a local resident who place the blame squarely on Rockstar's magnum opus. Intriguingly, neither the officer, nor the resident are referenced anywhere in the story beyond the quotations.

It should be noted that, as CVG points out, "the Grand Theft Auto series has never featured any form of interactive looting or rioting." In 2002, Rockstar released State of Emergency, a game that focused entirely on causing riots, but that is neither mentioned, nor likely remembered by anyone in the UK.

In spite of whatever political or socially inflammatory motives one might read into this story, I'm most disappointed by the choice of media the Standard is referencing here. I realize that Grand Theft Auto is the rallying point du jour for the technological angst of a certain elder generation, but how can you write a story about riots in London and not make a single reference to The Clash?

What exactly do they imagine "London Calling" was about?

Source: CVG

I'm from the UK & I remember State of Emergency. This proves GTA is to blame!

Do you suppose they'll be raging about mass effect in 5 years?

Racecarlock:

Only if chavs start dry humping blue aliens in Piccadilly.

Earnest Cavalli:

Racecarlock:

Attack the Block did come out...

yeah its only been 12 years since gta london was released guess its taken all that time for the young impressionable minds to grow up and put into action that pent up rioting urge it implanted.

*facepalm*

I've heard nothing about the origin of the riots that hasn't been concretely proven, but I've been told it was some idiot trying to shoot at a cop, and said cop then proceeded to kill said idiot. I've heard nothing about the supposed motivations of the shooter, but video games seem like quite a stretch. This might be sensationalism due to the Oslo shooter's motivation being nebulously connected to video games.

I live in the UK and the media are completely stupid. I remember when Manhunt got banned over here because two teens said they were trying to immitate it. I'm pretty sure the london riots and because the government are complete and utter w**kers. If they stopped lying and did what they promised, they wouldn't have this problem.

Edit: seeing as the media want to blame one form of entertainment, I feel I should blame another...
I think it's all down to The Smurfs being released in Cinemas round here.

If GTA has taught me anything, as soon as the riots reach 6 stars the army are getting involved.

You'd probably want to mention that the Evening Standard is owned by the same people as the Daily Mail, since that particular shitrag crops up so frequently too.

Apart from that I'm just kind of...bemused. GTA? Seriously? It was probably the only video game the writers could actually name, but if you're going for outdated irrelevance, go the whole hog and blame fucking Custer's Revenge or something.

I blame Killing Floor. It takes place in England. Has violence.

Yeah, well. It's probably not true but who wants to hear 'riots in London due to fuck ups committed by the people that buy this paper'?

Racecarlock:

What do you mean "in 5 years"? They already did it 4 years ago.

It's okay, don't panic.

Out of the entire population of the UK only about 10 people read Evening Standard.

If it ever makes it to the Daily Sport we know shit got serious, blaming games for riots in between pictures of semi naked women just doesn't mix.

Ranooth:
If GTA has taught me anything, as soon as the riots reach 6 stars the army are getting involved.

This @ thread

It'll always either end a riot or make it much more entertaining

London government wouldn't be the first to pin the blame on games and they most certainly won't be the last.

Yep, bullshit. This isn't even worth a second thought.

IamQ:

Racecarlock:

What do you mean "in 5 years"? They already did it 4 years ago.

I'm just saying it took them a really long time to start raging about GTA. The others raged about 5 years ago. The more recent scandal is mass effect, so if they're this far behind I was just assuming they'd get to that late too.

Of course video games caused the riots. I mean, they're full of senseless violence with no value whatsoever. They are devoid of any artistic merit and no good has ever come out of them. Have you ever met any gamer who isn't an unemployed, complete slob living in his mother's basement who also manages to afford an infantry battalion's worth of assault rifles?

The only flaw that I can find in this paper is that it places blame almost solely on just one game. I mean, haven't they seen Katamari? In this game, you capture demons in little balls and abuse them using evil "potions" called Phoenix Downs. Or what about Modern Duty: Call of Warfare? It's a thirty-six hour real time sidescrolling role-playing first person shooter game where you do nothing but murder babies and their mothers.

The above two paragraphs are laughable, but sadly, the people who write papers such as the one mentioned, usually believe something not too far from that. This is the kind of ignorance we're up against, folks.

my opinion can be summed up in one video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu7vySQbgXI

My God, video games are turning into the type of scapegoat that communism was in the 50's. Blame everything on them. Are games the only things that can be blamed for everything now?

While the Evening Standard are completely out of line blaming the riots on GTA, I think the headline here "British Media..." is just as misleading. When the Guardian start blaming the looting on Thief: The Dark Project, I'll start worrying but the Daily Mail's free little cousin? That's just business as usual.

Earnest Cavalli:

Racecarlock:

Can anyone from England explain what a chav is? Is it an England only thing?

Earnest Cavalli:
In 2002, Rockstar released State of Emergency, a game that focused entirely on causing riots, but that is neither mentioned, nor likely remembered by anyone in the UK.

I'm from the UK, and I remember that game. It was awesome. Though maybe it seemed a lot better to 13 year old me.

Anyway, this is just ridiculous. Why is everything blamed on video games? Annoyingly it's still going to be a while till the generation that sees games as evil is out of circulation.

Stilkon:
*facepalm*

I've heard nothing about the origin of the riots that hasn't been concretely proven, but I've been told it was some idiot trying to shoot at a cop, and said cop then proceeded to kill said idiot. I've heard nothing about the supposed motivations of the shooter, but video games seem like quite a stretch. This might be sensationalism due to the Oslo shooter's motivation being nebulously connected to video games.

There's speculation if that guy actually tried to shoot the cop because the bullet he was shot with was police issued. The guy was involved in illegal activities. Besides the rioting has naught to do with the shooting of the guy. It's an excuse for people to riot and loot stores. It only really affected the people who actually live in Tottenham(north London). There's been rioting in Brixton(South London) and it's mostly groups of youths stirring up trouble.

OT: Don't worry about that article, I'm pretty sure that that paper is owned by Murdoch and it's read by hardly anyone. Granted, I won't be surprised if Sky News blame Video Games as well.

Another day, another ignorant accusation. Practical concerns will inevitably eclipse Oldman No-fun's nonsense, and we can all look back on these times and laugh about how the unhip geezers are laying in a box 6 feet underground and covered with flowers, while we get to eat all the chips.

Stilkon:
*facepalm*

In fairness, there has been evidence suggesting that the police opened fire first, and that the guy didn't use a gun. That is, however, apparently the cause of the riots, at least according to news sources here.

The problem with riots is that its kind of hard to tell who's to blame unless you're actually there to witness it; I've been on protests before where violence erupted largely due to the police being aggressive, leading to panic within the crowd, but the media and politicians will always point the finger at the protesters, whether it was their fault or not. I find it hard to believe that video games are to blame though.

Oh wells, haters be hatin'...

Headline: British Media Blames Games For London Riots
Actual Headline: British Media Blames Games For London Riots Even Though They Had Nothing To Do With The Riots

Bipartisan reporting at its finest, ladies and germs.

shameduser:

Earnest Cavalli:

Racecarlock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav:
"chavs" are said to be aggressive teenagers, of working class background, who repeatedly engage in anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.

It's basically that.

I'll have you know at the time of the riots I was indoors playing videogames...

They just want an excuse, to take eyes away from Political unrest. I played video games and if I'd been around would have probably joined in the demonstration. I find the conservatives are doing a terrible job of running the country! That's why I'd join in at the chance, not because I play video games for blights sake.
I wouldn't be surprised if all the cuts are just going towards paying off the media to make pitiful excuses.

People have been stealing trainers, so its Nike's fault if anyone's.

Fanfic_warper:
London government wouldn't be the first to pin the blame on games and they most certainly won't be the last.

Firstly that paper isn't owned by the government and second: London is the capital; not its own fething country.

I am so tried of finger pointing without any concrete evidences to it. I mean did any of the arrest hooligans admit that it was games that fuel them to run amok? Glad to see CVG valid counter act reason to theirs faulty claims.

Earnest Cavalli:

Racecarlock:

Literally lol'd

And this kind of article story is an unoriginal, ignorant, scaremongering story written by people who know nothing about the subject they write about and are trying only to sell newspapers by any means necessary, adding 2 and 2 to get 78.
Hell yeah, one whole sentence

shameduser:

Dark Sup3rn0va:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav:
"chavs" are said to be aggressive teenagers, of working class background, who repeatedly engage in anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.

It's basically that.

Not just that. Imagine the kind of people who overuse make up and tanning salons and I think that's the kind of class person a stereotypical chav would be.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here