Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

A pregnant woman has shown what being a hardcore Skyrim fan really means.

A woman was so excited by the demo of the latest Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim at this year's QuakeCon, that when she went into labor, she stayed to finish watching it before allowing herself to be taken to the hospital.

The new mother, Stevi, and her fiancÚ Chaz, said that there weren't going to miss the presentation for anything. "[Stevi] is a trooper," Chaz said, "and loves Skyrim." The pair originally thought that it might be a false labor, so decided to wait and see if the contractions continued, rather than leaving the demo immediately.

Chaz blamed Bethesda's Todd Howard, presumably as a joke, for what happened. "[He] showed off the Frost Dragon," he explained. "This is what started the whole thing, seeing this must have filled Stevi with so much excitement that it sent her into labor." The couple got engaged on the stage at last year's QuakeCon, and planned to get married at this year's convention. They shelved those plans- for obvious reasons - as they welcomed their daughter Atari Lynn into the world

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: Game Informer

Well, she got me beat on the skyrim fandom scale.

Wait a sec, Atari?!?!

On second thought, if it didn't have the inherent geekyness that comes with being a name of a gaming company, it might have been a cool name.

This could be taking an obsession too far...but at least everyone's okay, including the child. Hope she grows up to be a Bethesda fan, otherwise they'll have a hard time explaining their actions.

Poor kid......

Why Atari? Being Elder Scrolls fans I would expect them to name her Bethesda, or Beth, or maybe Almalexia.

I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."

That kid is going to have the most awesome parents.

"Mum! Can I go out and play!"

"Not until you finished getting your level 15 mage."

"Awwwww."

Casual Shinji:
I can tell she'll be an exellent mother.

*4 months later*

Pretty much what I expect to happen :D

If I was Bethesda, I would be marketing this so hard right now.

Seriously though lady, it's your baby, and you're around your due date. You shouldn't take chances.

They called their daughter Atari? Atari? Do parents not even think about their children going to school with names like that?

Still, conga rats to them!

Now that is a hardcore lady... despite me disapproving of the name Atari.

I personally think this woman is an idiot and this should be used as an example of when gaming obsessions go too far, both the "waiting for Skyrim to finish" thing and the child's name.

I hate to think of how potentially neglectful this woman might be to poor little Atari when she personally owns Skyrim.

Fuckin' nerds...

Bit of an odd choice, but a pretty die-hard fan.

Do i think she's insane?
Yes.
Do i think she should of gone to the hospital?
Yes.

just think of the children!!!
:P

It's kay, lil Atari will be playing Skyrim alongside them, instead of being left alone in her cradle. Hopefully.

Atari?... Seriously? They should have named her Daggerfall.

...Poor poor Atari. Why do parents insist on names that will get their children bullied in school?

Please tell me their last name does NOT start with a "Ks"

Well, their daughter should at least be grateful they didn't call her Colecovision

Sizzle Montyjing:
Bit of an odd choice, but a pretty die-hard fan.

Do i think she's insane?
Yes.
Do i think she should of gone to the hospital?
Yes.

just think of the children!!!
:P

well, she's only got the 1, unless they're planning on having more... Oh God, they might have a Colecovision...

Well there goes a missed opportunity to call a child who began birth at Quakecon Dovakhiin... Well there's always next year...

They named their kid Atari? Jesus Christ on an applestick...

Having experienced labor, I can say that there's a chance this lady isn't quite as crazy as she sounds. Some women's contractions kick in DAYS before they actually go to the hospital to deliver...Very few women actually start having contractions at the rate necessary to head to the hospital.

Doom972:
Why Atari? Being Elder Scrolls fans I would expect them to name her Bethesda, or Beth, or maybe Almalexia.

That beats all xD It'd be a great day when the kid asks "Is there a reason I'm called Beth" and they say "Yes because when Bethesda showed us a dragon, Mommy got excited and induced labor by accident"

That's pretty stupid, she should have gone to a hospital after she realized it was real and then watched the rest of the thing on the Internet.

Casual Shinji:
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

I thought Skyrim was only 3 months away, though.

Capatcha: govelt Champions

..That is one damned devoted Elder Scrolls fan if I ever saw one.

Will the girl grow up into a dragonborn, I wonder?

I don't see why they should compromise - really if they were religious, they might go through the same nonsense, calling their child a biblical name, giving birth in some religious environment, circumsising etc etc. I'd rather be called Atari than have my tackle sliced up.

I don't think they should be ashamed of it, it's an epic name and an epic birth. Why do gamers still think that games are something to be embarassed about! - we are our own worst enemies. Strange names are a lot more acceptable these days, your more likely to get made fun of because of a boring name.

Todd Howard is blamed for a lot of things, but I'd like to think this is a first :)

Weighing in on the name, I think it's silly, but no worse than Nevaeh.

Ghostwise:
Poor kid......

Gotta say I agree. There's fandom and then there's fanaticism. RL > Games.

Logan Westbrook:
"that when she went into labor"

For what its worth, labour doesn't mean that the child is coming 'now' or that a woman has to go to hospital immediately. Its a bit wacky but its not really risky.

"The couple got engaged on the stage at last year's QuakeCon, and planned to get married at this year's convention."

thats awesome. get engaged at QuakeCon, go into labor at QuakeCon, get married at QuakeCon. i really hope they named their kid after a character in one of id's games or something. it just seems fitting :P

also, for anyone who read that they chose Skyrim over going to the hospital and didnt bother reading into the rest of the story, they werent sure that she was actually going into labor. also, the frost dragon comes out near the end of the demo. i imagine they probably started heading to the hospital within 15 minutes or so. by the way, going into labor doesnt mean the baby is popping out at that very moment.

Coranico:
Well there goes a missed opportunity to call a child who began birth at Quakecon Dovakhiin... Well there's always next year...

havent you heard about the bethesda competitoin for babys born the 11.11.11?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ghostwise:
Poor kid......

Seeing how she probably had a hour or two before it started to come out I don't see the rush...

kebab4you:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ghostwise:
Poor kid......

Seeing how she probably had a hour or two before it started to come out I don't see the rush...

Ask your mum/dad. I'm sure they'll tell you what the rush was.
(That's not being rude by the way, just that they'll have far more experience)

Atari?

Ergh, I was actually sort of endeared by this story until that point.

Perfectly reasonable, I would have done the exact same thing. I sure as hell wouldn't let some mere birth get in the way of the Skyrim demo!

Well Atari, I already feel sorry for you :\

Patrick Young:

Coranico:

havent you heard about the bethesda competitoin for babys born the 11.11.11?

Indeed i have, this article reminded me of it, which reminded me that Dovakhiin is an awesome name and should be bestowed on far more children than it currently is.

Catchy Slogan:
That kid is going to have the most awesome parents.

"Mum! Can I go out and play!"

"Not until you finished getting your level 15 mage."

"Awwwww."

Hahaha okay you win this Thread.

OT: I'm a big fan of Bethesda, but I wouldn't go to that extreme. I'm sort of worried for the child now, because an obsession like that can lead to mishaps or even downfall of things. Just imagine if they got so much into it, they mainly focused on that more then properly raising the baby. I mean, Skyrim hasn't even came out yet.

Can you picture them being so drawn in, that their lives are mainly just sitting in front of a screen playing while the child gets left untreated with proper care? Yeah.. if you're going to be parents then be prepared to give up on some things. That is parenthood.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here