Dragon Age 3 Will Blend Best Parts of the Series, Says BioWare

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dragon Age 3 Will Blend Best Parts of the Series, Says BioWare

BioWare says it has to listen to all Dragon Age fans, no matter which game they liked.

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka says that the third Dragon Age game will take the best parts from Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 and blend them together into a delicious RPG soup. Muzyka says that there will be pleasant surprises in store for fans both new and old.

Muzyka said that feedback from fans was very important to BioWare, and that a lot of fans of Origins had been upset by the rather radical changes that Dragon Age 2 had made to the series. He said that there had been a "misalignment" of expectations, which was something that BioWare planned to address. But he said that the studio also had an obligation to the fans that had really enjoyed Dragon Age 2, and that it couldn't ignore one group in favor of the other.

"What we need to do as developers is take that feedback from both sets of fans to heart and see about marrying that in future games in the Dragon Age franchise," he said. "I think that the team has actually got a great plan ... and we look forward more to talking about that in the future."

BioWare has quite a tricky task ahead of it: Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 were very different games, and fusing them is easier said than done. If BioWare is able to do however, it could very well be the best game in the series, and unite two very disparate fan bases. Hopefully BioWare will blend the games' casts as well; I'd love to see Varric putting Morrigan in her place.

Source: PC Gamer

Zevran: Mmm, you kiss just like a Grey Warden I once knew

---

I couldn't make it through DA2 but I loved Origins. I'd have to see it before I made a buying decision but they're still early on in development (I would assume anyway) I like how they're taking the Mass Effect approach though. Hopefully I can play as a Dwarf again in the third.

Logan Westbrook:
But he said that the studio also had an obligation to the fans that had really enjoyed Dragon Age 2, and that it couldn't ignore one group in favor of the other.

Maybe they could just send him some flowers?

I kid, I kid. DA2 was pretty good, and I'm glad to see articles like this. While it's all coated in never-say-die PR language, it does clearly show they're listening to fans and willing to act on that rather than digging their heels in.

Logan Westbrook:
Hopefully BioWare will blend the games' casts as well; I'd love to see Varric putting Morrigan in her place.

Hell no. I'm the biggest Morrigan fan out there, but the actual game and the Witch Hunt DLC between them brought her role and the romance path to a perfect conclusion. Fanservice like this in general is something BioWare could stand to be a little more restrained about; even the gratuitous Alastair appearances in DA2 were pushing it.

So... they won't be putting anything from DA2? Nice.

Yeeeah, ok... Well can I get an example of something Dragon age 2 Did well that Dragon Age Origins didnt also do? Cause really the only difference I see from a "under the hood" perspective is the cartoonish, yet darker stylization from DA2.

So if thats all they take that is purely from DA2.. I will be fine with that.

Other thought: The above picture with Hawke does not encourage me, as I found the Hawke story line to be bland and mediocre.

To each their own I guess.

Just spend a bit more time on the next one, okay guys?

Best parts of the series?

Soooo, it's just gonna be DA:O?

How about making the story less sucking.

If you've only got a year to crap out the next game because EA demands it, the only thing you can do to make it a good game is to double or triple the staffing. DA2 was mostly a failure of content (I will even charitably attribute the awful magically appearing waves of enemies to that). There wasn't enough of it, so it felt extremely constrained, like an expansion pack.

Well, that's good. I enjoyed both of them to be honest.

The combat felt better in DA:II while the story better in Origins. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the series.

The only thing Dragon Age 2 did was show gamers just how full of shit EA is. I will not be purchasing Dragon Age 3 and I advise everyone to do the same.

I won't buy DA3 until it's bargain bin. DA2 clearly showed that reviews can be bought and paid for. Useless drivel, even here at the Escapist.

Speak of the devil...

Don't go blending that shit together, it doesn't fit, and for the love of god don't listen to the fans.
Let your prime Origins team do their job proper and then hand the next one over to the newbies, atleast that way we all get something.

I just want a mute character and a normal RPG dialogue system, not a fuckin' wheel. And I want a party camp like in Origins. God I love that game with all my heart.

Cue everyone saying that nothing DA 2 was good.

OT; I haven't played 2, I've only played about an hour of Origins, but from what I've seen, neither are my sort of thing. Origins because it hurt my eyes with it's browness, 2 because it looks just like Medieval Effect 2: Stupid Smashy Combat Edition.

I hope they don't revert too much back into the uninspired drabness of Origins simply because the fanbase seems so pathologically insecure.

I much preferred the sequel to the original, stylistically and thematically, but I think the games complement eachother rather well.

CM156:

The combat felt better in DA:II while the story better in Origins. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the series.

I don't know about better. Combat was more tactical in Origins, it was more hack & slash in da 2. So i guess it depends on what type of combat you prefer. The animations were better and so was the gore but i felt like the challenge I had in origins wasn't there.

Shoggoth2588:

---

I couldn't make it through DA2 but I loved Origins. I'd have to see it before I made a buying decision but they're still early on in development (I would assume anyway) I like how they're taking the Mass Effect approach though. Hopefully I can play as a Dwarf again in the third.

We better get the dwarf option, I was mad when I couldn't play a gimli-like character again T-T

I didn't really mind the second one, though I got really sick of pounding auto-attack. Things had too much health for too little threateningness.

aPod:

CM156:

I don't know about better. Combat was more tactical in Origins, it was more hack & slash in da 2. So i guess it depends on what type of combat you prefer. The animations were better and so was the gore but i felt like the challenge I had in origins wasn't there.

I felt it flowed better. I wasn't stoping every 10 seconds to set up moves for my characters. DA:2 felt more like combat and less like 3.5 ed turn based actions.

But hey, it's just how I feel

If they can combine the accessibility and speed of DA2 with the variety in options of DA:O, I would be quite pleased.

As for the dialogue system, I could go with either. The system in DA2 was worlds better than how it was in the Mass Effect games, so if they could expand on that further I would be very happy. (And if a mute character would double the number of [meaningful] options available, I wouldn't mind going that way either.)

EDIT: And DA2 combat was as tactical as DA:O combat, as long as you played on Hard or higher. The only real problem with it, I think, was too much focus on enemy waves and too damn much HP for the bosses.

Redratson:

Shoggoth2588:

---

We better get the dwarf option, I was mad when I couldn't play a gimli-like character again T-T

I'm with you, brother. GIVE US DWARVES!!!!!

Here's the formula I hope their using:

DA:O character creation/story/characters/consequences + DA2 combat/graphics = DA3

But, my formula could be off, back to the Lab!*dons labcoat*

DA:O Pros/DA2 Cons :

- Story. It seemed to flow together better as well. DA2 story felt like three separate ones. They linked them together but that seemed an after thought.

- Dungeons. DA2 reused dungeons which is bad.

- Companions. I tended to like more of the DA:O companions than I did the DA2 ones. (This is opinion more than anything)

- Gear. This mainly has to do with companions. I liked being able to use all (within class bounds of course) gear for all characters.

DA:O Cons/DA2 Pros :

- Combat. Having just played the two games back to back I can confidently say that DA2 combat was much better. Even comparing mage to mage it is better. Most people consider mage to be the most interesting class in DA:O. Warrior and rogue are far beyond what they were in DA:O.

- Skills. I hated the skills in DA:O. I felt the integration of it into DA2 was far better.

- Companions. I know I mentioned this above but it goes here too. While there are more likable characters in DA:O the good characters in DA2 are better and their personalities are more defined.

Hopefully all of that will be combined but I have my doubts.

Also wtb Hawke and the Warden teaming up in the same game.

Oh boy so luke warm and crap combined = DA3? Pass!

I liked DA2's combat, and that DA:O had side quests.
Will it blend?

So, what was good about Dragon Age 2?

znix:
I won't buy DA3 until it's bargain bin. DA2 clearly showed that reviews can be bought and paid for. Useless drivel, even here at the Escapist.

I think you are forgetting most people don't like complex games, so the whole dead easy gameplay plus color coded conversation is just up their street.
The people who really want to dig into a big RPG are a small niche market, and EA isn't looking for anything other then smash hit sales.

Zhukov:
Just spend a bit more time on the next one, okay guys?

This.
OP: Of course they are going to say that. "It will be perfect for everyone, honest!"

I seem to recall them saying that the new angle was what they were going to stick with. There was never any talk of merging the two before.

Those lower sales numbers hurting yet, BioWare?

I don't think MY favorite parts of each game will be combined.

Seeing as how my favorite part of DA1 was the combat. And my favorite part of 2 was...the combat.

Combining them is like making...DA1 combat with DA2 skill-trees and shit.

I still enjoyed DA2's combat a lot. Just had to take their pre-launch advice and up the difficulty.

Can they just keep the speed and fluidity of the combat from DA2 but cut the magic enemy spawns and bosses with too much health?

Also i hope they don't get put off from trying something new with the story and go back to Generic Fantasy Plot Number #01192228

. . . .and by trying to cater to everybody they will only succeed and pleasing nobody at all.

Meh. I just hope they finish the whole "Morrigans child" subplot from the first game. And possibly let's us import our characters from DA:O and DA2.

Excellent. This is just what I like to see from Bioware. A blending of the two would be great indeed.

DA:O had a lot of great things going for it. The party camp, equipment for all of your party members, well designed dungeons, the incredibly deep skill system, and a cliche yet well written story.

DA2 has its own stuff going for it as well. Some people just don't want to see that because they didn't get a second Origins. Combat was far better in II. Every class felt powerful and were just plain more fun to play than Origins. Dialogue system was great too and really helped you craft the kind of character you wanted. Seeing Hawke react with his own dialogue based on how I had him act was enjoyable. And the story, while not as good as Origins', still had it's great moments. I absolutely loved all of Act 2.

So yes Bioware, spend a little more time on it and marry the best of both games and we'll totally have a success.

Daaaaang, it! I gotta hurry up and finish Origins, then get DA2 and then wait for this one!

I'm getting DA2 despite the major changes. And as far as I knew, DA3 is gonna have griffins. To that I say: go for it. And I also add: Give us more dragons! The game is called Dragon Age for a reason. Yet, we have like, what, 3 dragons all together so far? I know there's a reason for this and a story and such and blah blah. But still! You would expect the actual mythical dragon beasts (Not shapeshifters or whatever you wanna call it) to have a bigger cameo. That's just me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here