Weird Razer Ad Promises PC Gaming Is Not Dead

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

C95J:
As a console gamer by trade who has recently bought a gaming computer, I sure hope PC gaming isn't dying out!

Also...

The_root_of_all_evil:

maddawg IAJI:
300 million?...Where they heck do they get that number? Yes, there are a lot of PC gamers. We already knew that, but 300 million is an EXTREME stretch.

Well, given there are 1 billion gamers in the world..., it doesn't sound quite that much of a stretch.

In fact, it's only .3% of all gamers...pretty low really. Depending on what version of a billion we're using.

Lets say 1 billion is 1000 million. Even if PC gamers consist of 300 million, the article says that there are more PC gamers than console gamers. That leaves at minimum 400 million gamers who don't play on a PC or Console, the majority.

So what do that majority of gamers play on?

Casual stuff like iPhones and other things like PSP and DS which is the handheld market not consoles market which does seem a likely 400 million(Consoles+Handhelds).

This whole "war" between console and pc is stupid.
I own both.
Both do different things.
PC: tf2, halflife ( all of them) a huge indie population and tons of classics.
Console: Demons'/ Dark souls.
That is all.

The_root_of_all_evil:

maddawg IAJI:
We really need a set definition for the term gamer,

OK, how about DAU/MAU?

from my post here

18 million people playing Cityville (presumably on a PC) daily. And that's specific PC gamers per day, I believe.

Steam has about 4 million users online at the moment. It's quite feasible really.

Like I asked earlier, can they count for users who play both games and steam or that user counted 3 times?

I'm sorry, but I'm just a bit of a skeptic, especially when stats are involved.

Glademaster:

C95J:
Lets say 1 billion is 1000 million. Even if PC gamers consist of 300 million, the article says that there are more PC gamers than console gamers. That leaves at minimum 400 million gamers who don't play on a PC or Console, the majority.

Casual stuff like iPhones and other things like PSP and DS which is the handheld market not consoles market which does seem a likely 400 million(Consoles+Handhelds).

hmmm, I would have thought either PC or Console would have been the majority, I guess more people buy handheld devices than I thought.

maddawg IAJI:

Like I asked earlier, can they count for users who play both games and steam or that user counted 3 times?
I'm sorry, but I'm just a bit of a skeptic, especially when stats are involved.

For DAU's, then the number is relevant - although you can't just add up DAU's for the reason you quoted.

It's in that ballpark though. Steam has over 20 million accounts in existence - and I'm reasonably sure they're going to be one to a machine because of Steamguard.

Zuckberg had 300 million on Bookface back in September 2009

C95J:

Glademaster:

C95J:

hmmm, I would have thought either PC or Console would have been the majority, I guess more people buy handheld devices than I thought.

I don't know how much it is exactly but if you think about how broad handheld is if you include things like iPhones and tablets it is the majority as it also brings in a broader term to what gamer is.

Worldwide sales figures
Wii - 87.57 million as of 30 June 2011
Xbox 360 - 55 million as of 4 June 2011
PlayStation 3 - 50 million as of 31 March 2011

So going by wiki there is less than 192.57 console gamers as some are repeat buys and others own more than 1 console so for the sake of argument we will just round it to an easier number 190mil console gamers. If the 300 mil is to be believed which I am sure it is quite high whether it is this high I don't know that would put 510 mil casual gamers.

Now while I am not 100% on other numbers if total console sales is roughly 190 mil I am sure handheld market has more numbers given it's availability.

DS and PsP sales alone were 199.46 according to wiki's citations so it really does put things into perspective.

The_root_of_all_evil:

maddawg IAJI:
300 million?...Where they heck do they get that number? Yes, there are a lot of PC gamers. We already knew that, but 300 million is an EXTREME stretch.

Well, given there are 1 billion gamers in the world..., it doesn't sound quite that much of a stretch.

In fact, it's only .3% of all gamers...pretty low really. Depending on what version of a billion we're using.

uhhh your math is wrong there.
1 billion = 1000 * 1 million
300/1000 = .3 or 30% which is about a third as opposed to a fraction of 1 percent.

I don't really have any comments on the OP, but an error 2 orders of magnitude felt it needed correction.

docSpitfire:

The_root_of_all_evil:

maddawg IAJI:

300/1000 = .3 or 30% which is about a third as opposed to a fraction of 1 percent.

I don't really have any comments on the OP, but an error 2 orders of magnitude felt it needed correction.

He said depending on which billion you use Short Scale= 109 Long Scale = 1012.

Glademaster:

docSpitfire:

The_root_of_all_evil:

I didn't know long form was a thing... I don't go around talking large numbers with people over seas...
Seeing as the population of the planet is not even 1010 (still less than 7 billion world pop) though, it can't be the long form billion in that case anyways.
I think you can see where I got confused then.

Razer makes some pretty sweet mice, although all of them out of my range. I'm very happy with my Logitech MX518/Ratpadz combo anyway. But I signed up anyway, just to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Gaming PCs sounds like the best bet, but I'm hoping it's something really exotic and bizarre that nobody will see coming.

docSpitfire:

Glademaster:

docSpitfire:

I didn't know long form was a thing... I don't go around talking large numbers with people over seas...
Seeing as the population of the planet is not even 1010 (still less than 7 billion world pop) though, it can't be the long form billion in that case anyways.

Yes it was a confusing way of stating it but that is where the error came from. it is still 30% of gamers. Short scale is much more common and most things done in school at least up until third level(haven't done third level yet) are all done in Short scale. Short scale is basically ever thousand is a new unit so every *103 while in long scale it is every million *106

Signed up, could be interesting. I want a switchblade they look awesome.

Glademaster:

docSpitfire:

Glademaster:

Yes it was a confusing way of stating it but that is where the error came from. it is still 30% of gamers. Short scale is much more common and most things done in school at least up until third level(haven't done third level yet) are all done in Short scale. Short scale is basically ever thousand is a new unit so every *103 while in long scale it is every million *106

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen long form used in the US for any reason, and while I have traveled over seas to places where perhaps it's used. (wiki just said lots of continental europe so I have no idea who does and doesn't over there) I don't think i've ever discussed numbers with the locals on magnitudes bigger than 120 Euro :P

A new bit of hardware that can play PC games and emulates 360, ps3 and wii games.

They give me that and basically they can name their price.

I believe the term "QUIET THYSELF AND ACQUIRE MY CURRENCY!" sums it up.

"PC gaming is not dead"

*cough*Bullshit!*cough*

William Catching:
"PC gaming is not dead"

*cough*Bullshit!*cough*

I hope that was sarcasm.

Ultratwinkie:

William Catching:
"PC gaming is not dead"

*cough*Bullshit!*cough*

I hope that was sarcasm.

Unfortunatly, it was not sarcastic

I've never heard of this "Switchblade" of theirs, but after searching for a bit, it seems like a neat little netbook.

Color me interested in this.

Frankly I'm surprised nobody posted this first.

I'm hoping that this isn't just a marketing ploy for a new Razer product...but it is :\

Andy Chalk:
Is anyone still actually losing sleep over this?

No. And you can chuck the 'still' out of that sentence.

That said, I am very much interested in seeing what they have planned. It's called a marketing campaign and as far as I'm concerned, they've got me hooked - not really sitting on the edge of my chair, but enough to give a shit on Aug 26th to check the news posts to see what they're on about.

William Catching:

Ultratwinkie:

William Catching:
"PC gaming is not dead"

*cough*Bullshit!*cough*

I hope that was sarcasm.

Unfortunatly, it was not sarcastic

PC gaming is not dead. I had to do an entire article with sources on the subject. If anything It found that consoles where dying out, not PC. Mostly because the business strategy for consoles are so short term that the entire concept has no long term survivability unless major changes are made.

read it for yourself, no one has managed to refute this argument:

I bought both a Razer Naga and Carcharias, I thought they were the end all of game gear, right after the warranty for the Naga ran out the scroll wheel broke, I was going to manually repair it myself, but it after peeling away the crap they have to hide the screws, it was so poorly built inside, to open it damages it. Same with the Carcharias, that warranty was only 6 months and the soldering for the wires corroded. Luckily I was able to take that apart and put a spare set of headset I had lying around inside it's casing. I'm done with Razer. Expensive casings, cheap insides.

Andy Chalk:
Razer makes some pretty sweet mice, although all of them out of my range. I'm very happy with my Logitech MX518/Ratpadz combo anyway. But I signed up anyway, just to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Gaming PCs sounds like the best bet, but I'm hoping it's something really exotic and bizarre that nobody will see coming.

If they are doing gaming PC's, it would be a stretch to assume that they would be more affordable than the alienware stuff. Personally I'm hoping for the Switchblade ...

I least expected them of all people to do this, they mainly make PC gaming mice, keyboards,etc... so they should be aware of a the crazy shit coming out for PC in the coming months, yes, they will have console counterparts, but the PC is still getting a shitload of new games, so no, PC gaming is obviously not dead and has never been, and i hope it won't be for a long time to come

saruman31:
Oh how i love Razer for selling USELESS external devices at an extremely expensive price and still making profit.

Useless? Their peripherals are some of the best I've ever used, especially their mice.

As for this campaign though, I'm skeptical as to what they could possibly be announcing.

Razer, razer, your late too the party! pc gaming isn't dead! its triple A gaming that's dead, and casual gaming is too cause! start spreading un-needed and un-wanted hate about that!

OutrageousEmu:
Thats adorable. They're actually so desperate they need to include the farmville numbers. Okay, fine, we console gamers concede that PC gaming is the best medium for giving the creators of substandard timewasters like Zynga money for some of the shoddiest games and most evil behaviour gaming has ever seen.

There are avenues to prove the validity and worth of PC gaming, but as long as Zynga exists, numbers is definitely not one of them. And not giving context to those numbers just makes you look like a liar.

Accusing someone of lying because their concept of gaming is too broad for your own narrow-minded view of the subject is not a valid criticism. Gaming is a very broad medium that casts a wide net and the AAA market is just one portion of that.

Akalabeth:

OutrageousEmu:
Thats adorable. They're actually so desperate they need to include the farmville numbers. Okay, fine, we console gamers concede that PC gaming is the best medium for giving the creators of substandard timewasters like Zynga money for some of the shoddiest games and most evil behaviour gaming has ever seen.

There are avenues to prove the validity and worth of PC gaming, but as long as Zynga exists, numbers is definitely not one of them. And not giving context to those numbers just makes you look like a liar.

Accusing someone of lying because their concept of gaming is too broad for your own narrow-minded view of the subject is not a valid criticism. Gaming is a very broad medium that casts a wide net and the AAA market is just one portion of that.

Yeah, I'm sure Razer really moves a tonne of high end gaming PC and PC peripherals's to 40 year old housewives who only play Farmville.

playing facebook games does NOT make you a PC gamer

it makes you a terrible person :P

This looked interesting until I saw the Razer logo at the end. Sort of like Capcom, Microsoft and Securom being in that sham called the PC Gaming Alliance.

V for Vendetta anyone? very close to what V says when he hijacks the tv system in the film

Vault101:
playing facebook games does NOT make you a PC gamer

it makes you succeptible to terrible people :P

Fixed it for you. Just cause Zynga are evil doesn't make everyone who plays their games evil

Ah, V for Vendetta.
"Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine - the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, whereby those important events of the past, usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, are celebrated with a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.
I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than 400 years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest that you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot."

OutrageousEmu:

Akalabeth:

OutrageousEmu:

Yeah, I'm sure Razer really moves a tonne of high end gaming PC and PC peripherals's to 40 year old housewives who only play Farmville.

At what point did they claim to?
And seriously what constitutes gaming?

Only AAA titles?
What about XBA or PSN titles that cost 5 dollars or less, is this gaming?
What about free flash games online, is this gaming?
If Age of Conan and Bejeweled are both free to play, is one gaming while one is not?
What about open source mods running modified engines that don't require the original game (ie cost nothing), are they gaming?

Point being just because a game doesn't meet a certain level of cost, or a certain level of complexity doesn't make it invalid as a game. A game is a game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here