UPDATE: Pinhead Gets Summoned (Again) For 9th Hellraiser

Pages 1 2 NEXT

UPDATE: Pinhead Gets Summoned (Again) For 9th Hellraiser

Pinhead is back for another Hellraiser movie, and this time he's all about family values.

Of the major 1980s horror franchises, Hellraiser is the only one that has yet to be rebooted. Instead, Dimension keeps on pumping straight-to-DVD Hellraiser films out on the market. Apparently these movies keep on making money, because the latest entry to the franchise - Hellraiser: Revelations - is due out next week.

A little confused by the trailer? Here's the official summary:

Pinhead is back and in his chamber of soulless delights, he thought he had two willing participants in Steven and Nico. But Nico wants out and decides that a member of Steven's family will serve as proper barter.

The movie reportedly only cost $300,000 to make, so it seems safe to assume that it'll easily make back its production costs, meaning that yet another Hellraiser movie will get made. That said, the small budget is fairly obvious thanks to the handheld camera (a la The Blair Witch Project) and somewhat basic sets.

It should be noted that this is the first time that Doug Bradley won't be playing the iconic role of Pinhead, which marks an end of an era. Hellraiser: Revelations is due out on DVD come September 2nd.

UPDATE: Apparently Clive Barker wasn't too impressed with the trailer either. After one of Mr. Barker's Twitter followers tweeted that Revelations seems to contain "a total disrespect for your work," the author went on a Twitter rant about the film, which you can read below:

Seeing as how Hellraiser: Revelations has neither the support of the franchise's creator nor the involvement of its principal actor, it might be safer to just skip picking the movie up and just re-watch the original film instead.

Source: Bleeding Cool via io9, Blastr

No Doug Bradley? I'm out...

Not to mention that the trailer looks awful.

Does this franchise seriously need another installment? The first one was okay, but twenty years later it's just the same story over and over again.

RaNDM G:
Does this franchise seriously need another installment? The first one was okay, but twenty years later it's just the same story over and over again.

I kinda liked the Bloodline movie, mainly because they did a lot to flesh out the movies' mythology. That said, it was still pretty bad. Haven't watched any of the Hellraisers since then.

For those at home, what is Hellraiser? All I have gotten from it is theres a pale faced man with pins stuck in his head.

008Zulu:
For those at home, what is Hellraiser? All I have gotten from it is theres a pale faced man with pins stuck in his head.

It's the greatest movie franchise ever!

...ok, not really.

Check up on Wikipedia, it looks like this thing is actually just an attempt to hold onto the rights while they try to get the actual Hellraiser remake they've been going on about for years into production.

008Zulu:

It's like when the Warp from Warhammer 40,000 meets the Necronomicon from Evil Dead.

vansau:
Haven't watched any of the Hellraisers since then.

Actually, numbers 5 and 6 are the ones I enjoyed the most. Sure, I liked the over-the-top gorefest of the first four movies - you know, in a trashy kind of way. However, the 5th and 6th movies ('Inferno' and 'Hellseeker') are more like mystery thrillers; they make rather little use of the cenobytes and only show and their freaky magic (let's just call it that) at key points to enhance the atmosphere.

OT: First, that didn't look too good. Second, it's not Doug Bradley, so it's not Pinhead. Begone, imposter!

Who you callin' Pinhead?

OT: They aren't even bothering with the remakes anymore, they're just mashing them on top of successful franchises as a marketing bullet point. They're going to start running out of material at this speed.

Snake Plissken:
No Doug Bradley? I'm out...

Not to mention that the trailer looks awful.

Sonicron:

vansau:
Haven't watched any of the Hellraisers since then.

OT: First, that didn't look too good. Second, it's not Doug Bradley, so it's not Pinhead. Begone, imposter!

'Nuff said |: I felt so-so about it in regards to the trailer, being used to all the crap that the horror channel normally airs, til I noticed that Pinhead didn't quite look himself.

EDIT:

Nouw:

008Zulu:

It's like when the Warp from Warhammer 40,000 meets the Necronomicon from Evil Dead.

That reminds me... there's a new Evil Dead coming out soon or something as well, isn't there? No Ash though apparently! Though I'll have to look it up again to double check, lol.

x

Can't be as bad as Hellraiser 3. ;)

i aM tHe CigArEtte fINgEr CeNoBiTE - I bUrN You

DX I hate this already... I hate how Pinhead looks, I really dislike the fact that they're not using Doug Bradley, and it's a straight-to-video one which really shows that they simply don't care about whether or not it succeeds. All of this just screams that they are doing this for just money, don't give a shit about the series or Hellraiser in general and it all just pisses me off. >_< I really hate them... I know, hate is a strong word, but it fits since I loved Hellraiser... well, the first two movies.

II2:

Don't bet on it...

HR4 has the CD Cenobite and it just goes down hill. This is the Highlander 5, Police Acadamy 10 stage.

vansau:

RaNDM G:

I kinda liked the Bloodline movie, mainly because they did a lot to flesh out the movies' mythology. That said, it was still pretty bad. Haven't watched any of the Hellraisers since then.

Bloodlines is number 4 right?, I have the box set (its shaped like like a great big Chinese puzzle box*) but I've never watched past 3 because of the CD throwing Cenobite, just no.

*when you open it up you get to watch the DVD's, and be tortured for an eternity, eternity? now that's good value for money!.

The_root_of_all_evil:

II2:

Don't bet on it...

HR4 has the CD Cenobite and it just goes down hill. This is the Highlander 5, Police Acadamy 10 stage.

Highlander 5, Police Academy 10 do not exist...

neither do Ridge Racer 5 on the PS2 and Alien versus Predator 2 Requiem.

*sticks fingers into ears*
LALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU!.

I'm going to watch this, it looks hilarious!

Seriously the only one i actually LIKED was the first, after that they went downhill rapidly, much like nightmare on elm street.

Batsamaritan:
I'm going to watch this, it looks hilarious!

agreed! this is the kinda horror film I put on at Halloween, cause I ain't scared but whatching my mate hide behind the cushions like a little girl.... that's entertainment!

worse thing Clive Barker ever did was to sell the rights for the franchise. SHAME ON YOU

This isn't even funny.

Just plain sad.

I actually do remember a couple of good Hellraiser films...i watched them from under my blankets ;_;

But this one just by the trailer...i can already tell that this is gonna be lame =/

I loved the first one, second one was quite good, third one i'm going to deny existed and the fourth one had a crap setting but explained the mystery of the puzzle box so I enjoyed it.

After that they got stupid.

Cenobites rarely appeared and when they did they were crap.

Every single one after Bloodlines has been absolutely shite and that one looks worse than the rest of them.

Crap acting, crap filming, Pinhead sounded like a crack addict trying to sound manly and Chatterer wasn't ... er ... chattering.

I really wish they would stop churning out this dire crap.

I'm a fan, like I said above about the first 4 and I loved the books, but this has got to stop. They are beating the Cenobites to a point where if they did make a reboot, the kids won't know whether to snuggle them or buy them a beer and listen to their problems.

Stop turning Leviathan's warriors into watered down b movie bollocks.

This looks so bad. I really haven't enjoyed a Hellraiser movie since the second one and I don't know why they keep chugging these sequels out. I would rather had a remake because then at least it wouldn't be connected to the steadily downhill franchise and adding insult to injury. Every time they release a Hellraiser sequel I think I know how the Star Wars fans feel.

I friggin love the first movie, though. One of my all time favourite horror movies with actual interesting characters and Pinhead is not even the slasher-killer he has been reduced to in later movies. It's a movie I would recommend to any fan of horror movies.

Awww man, now I'm depressed.

This franchise still exists? Shit... and I thought the Halloween films went downhill...

Hipsy_Gypsy:

EDIT:

Nouw:

008Zulu:

That reminds me... there's a new Evil Dead coming out soon or something as well, isn't there? No Ash though apparently! Though I'll have to look it up again to double check, lol.

x

Actually, its just a remake of the first, so yes, there will be Ash.

Hail to the fucking King. *unenthusiastic wave*

OT; Well I kinda wonder why its not getting remake; they shat out a shit Friday the 13th and a not bad Nightmare on Elm Street, and even basically redone Scream. So why not this?

I've never seen any of them, but I've been meaning to.

well its good they are letting the film school students have a chance at making a flim

vansau:

It's the greatest movie franchise ever!

...ok, not really.

A puzzle box that opens a portal to hell. Well I suppose it makes about as much sense as the plots to Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and so forth.

You know, I remember watching Nightmare and Friday a lot growing up, I seem to remember them being good. But after re-watching them, especially the later iterations, I don't know what it was I saw in them. Have horror movies increased in quality or are they the same as the were 20 years ago?

Even if we skip the fact that it looks mostly like fanservice, it's just not the same without Doug Bradley. I mean, listen to this new Pinhead. Now listen to the original. No matter how cheesy his lines, Doug Bradley's Pinhead practically made this franchise, at least for me.

That's not Pinhead!!!!!!!

I'm a fan of the original 2, I might watch this, but I wouldn't spend any money to see it.

Seeing as Clive Barker himself has called the movie a piece of shit on his twitter, it's safe to say that this is definitely not worth seeing.

Such a shame too since I really liked the first two, didn't like the third one, only saw part of the fourth one, and didn't watch the others, but at least Doug Bradley created such an iconic character, so basically him not being in this one shws how bad this one is going to be.

"The movie reportedly only cost $300,000 to make"
Whoa, I would NEVER have guessed that from the trailer.

Sigh... I really don't know what is worse; expensive reboots or super low budget sequels.
Come up with new ideas, please :(

Was it just me or was the sound a bit off in that trailer, the equalisation seemed to lean to one side.

Looks like someone drew lines on Pinheads face with a black marker pen. An he has a Mini-Me pinhead as well.lol. Looks awful. Thing is, there is so much mythology to Hellraiser, especially in the comics that was released years ago, that i hate they never dip into this well of info to make a movie. Like with Aliens, the books and comics add loads of interesting stuff but they still go back to ripley even though she is baggage now.

Hold on...He's taking his name off Hellraiser, but keeping it on Jericho?

Damn, that's bad.

This franchise should have been left to die, didn't care for the earlier Hellraiser movies. They weren't really scary and bored the hell out of me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here