Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

More butt hurt idiots worshiping at the altar of the PC gods(oh wait we can't use that word we might OFFEND somebody!), or a massive troll (both are equally worthless and undeserving of any attention). Move on people, nothing to see here.

Thedek:
More butt hurt idiots worshiping at the altar of the PC gods(oh wait we can't use that word we might OFFEND somebody!), or a massive troll (both are equally worthless and undeserving of any attention). Move on people, nothing to see here.

I'm so used to console/PC wars, that I didn't realize you meant Political Correctness instead of PC gaming until a good 20 seconds after.

You know whats funny?
She is such a small part of the game that I didn't even notice her on my first playthrough.

Onyx Oblivion:

Thedek:

I'm so used to console/PC wars, that I didn't realize you meant Political Correctness instead of PC gaming until a good 20 seconds after.

Oh yes, how verbally clumsy of me.

Woodsey:
AND they got the British accents right! Which was quite surprising, considering Rocksteady - a British studio - have hired bloody Nolan North to do a (crap) cockney accent for the Penguin.

Could be worse, they could have gotten Don Cheadle "Blinder".

There is a difference between the portrayal of a character and a portrayal of a race.

If this is within the character, it only applies to that character, not to an entire race of people. Just because a character is portrayed a certain way does not mean its bringing everyone down.

I wish people would stop identifying an individual as anything more than that.

I'm more offended from the fact that she sounds like she's voiced by a man.

"Well SHEEEEEEEET"

Ragsnstitches:

Waaghpowa:
I don't remember anyone complaining about racism in the first game over the Chinese accents. I'm Chinese and I didn't see it as a big deal, people need to relax about these kinds of things.

Ha... yeah. That's not going to happen.

OT: If that's racist, then I should to argue every portrayal of Irish people in American Media is racist.

But I, frankly, am too drunk to.

Except Irish isn't a race, it's a nationality. Yes, it would be nice if there were portrayals of Irish people other than Leprechauns and drunkards, but even if you were serious it wouldn't be racism.

I was all set to agree with Narcisse, because minstrel stereotypes are very clear and distinct forms of racial shoe-horning -- however, after actually listening to the provided clip, I'm not sure I'm with him there. Yes, the voice acting on that character is a little strange, it doesn't quite fit anyone I've ever spoken to, and it edges toward some of the minstrel accents I've heard; however, it isn't really all that outlandish, nor is it so much like a minstrel accent to be plainly obvious. It is a strange set of mannerisms, but part of that, I think, comes from a disconnect between the voice (and situation) and the character's appearance. Without looking at the video, the style of speaking brought to my mind a much... larger woman. I don't know, maybe that's just me. For some reason, she just didn't look much like what I think of for a street person.

I know loads of black people who talk like that.

Its not racism, its just a simple fact. Its a dialect. I dont see a problem.

mesoforte:
There is a difference between the portrayal of a character and a portrayal of a race.

If this is within the character, it only applies to that character, not to an entire race of people. Just because a character is portrayed a certain way does not mean its bringing everyone down.

I wish people would stop identifying an individual as anything more than that.

This.
There's a distinction between an individual and an entire group. If all black women in the game had sounded like Latitia (ie vaguely transsexual), we would have a problem. This of course applies to RE5 as well (granted, I haven't played it).
Heh, just imagine if all Caucasian characters in the game had sounded like Adam *amateur Batman impersonator* Jensen...

So people aren't concerned about the fact that you can impale her with weird augmented arms, or the fact you can shoot up a whole police station or brutally murder an old women with a fridge but they are with someone's voice and the colour of their skin?!

This is one weird world indeed . . .

Other than the fact that the voice doesn't fit the character model, AT ALL, I don't really see a problem here.

Damn, that "WEEEELL SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT" got me good... Oh, you.

DanielBrown:
I'm more bothered with the protagonists voice. What's happened to his throat?

Augmentations require you to gargle with gravel. Every day. True fact.

So, a game has a flash of bad voice acting, what else is new in the world?

The race card is becoming one of the most annoying things in our politically correct society. To quote one african american way, way cooler than me (and yet one who could no doubt be seen as playing to the stereotype):

Bribase:

Carlston:

When is the last time a GERMAN was in a name and NOT a nazi? Hmmmm?

Hmmn... 2000?

Yeah because if there's one thing you can say for sure about Gunther Hermann, cyborg psycopath, it's that he's not a german stereotype. Also he is not in any way an ersatz (get it? Because he's german... he, he, he) nazi.

Err, no. Sure, if all the black characters in Deus Ex acted like that, that would be racist stereotyping. But it's one character, which means the fact that it matches a stereotype is probably incidental.

Oh shit, everyone drop everything, somebody was offended by a character in a GAME. How dare they offend me, I need to be as vocal and annoying about this as possible.

The character isn't "racist" calling someone a racial slur or attacking them because they're different than you is racist. This could be a misguided stereotype, and I find it laughable. Anyone who gets genuinely offended by this sort of thing needs to get their priorities straightened out.

q fucking q. Honestly, People like this just bother me. They're always looking for something. I can't believe that people still get bothered by things like this. So, close your eyes and imagine she's white if it bothers you that god damn much while you're playing this game.

I know why people look for stuff like this, but I still have to ask... WHY DO PEOPLE STILL LOOK FOR STUFF LIKE THIS!? It boggles my mind.

Yep, that's pretty fucking racist. Don't get why all these white males think it's anything but.

dogstile:
She was actually one of the more memorable characters in the game because she had a damn personality.

I love how that personality screams racist nowadays.

Exactly. If anything was actually racist in this game, it would be that Chinese prostitute with the terrible voice-actor or the offhand referral to an Irish man as a "Mick" (an insult that hasn't been used since the eighties, and wasn't even that offensive then), but I don't see people go up in arms over things like that. To quote "To Kill A Mockingbird"; "Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand".

I thought they'd get more up-in-arms about the whole "Ancient Chinese Secret" comment >.>

Sounds to me like she was inspired by Bubbles from The Wire, considering he sounds exactly like that, and he was a police informant.

F.A.T. Larry's last line perfectly say my sentiment toward what this guy is saying.

dogstile:
She was actually one of the more memorable characters in the game because she had a damn personality.

I love how that personality screams racist nowadays.

Agreed. I also loves how he completely ignores the other black female you meet in Detroit, Jenny Alexander. The one that is in deep cover as a prostitute, while working in Internal Affairs and getting Jensen to help her out with her case against O'Malley. You know, a strong and dedicated police officer. Whoops, a crooked cop named O'Malley in Detroit? Good god, hope he isn't Irish, or else STEREOTYPE!

*roll eyes*

LilithSlave:
These types of characters do happen a bit too often in media though, and have spread some negative stereotypes about black people that will be hard to undo.

Like Barret of Final Fantasy VII, it's not racist perhaps in and of itself, but it could be seen as part of a larger trend that is negative for black people.

I'm leaving out your comments about cultural imperialism as that is a different can of worms.

Actually, Square back then did catch some flack for Barrett. There was backlash and defense on both sides. Now, I am not an expert on Japanese culture, but I have a passing familiarity with it. (No, watching anime and playing JRPGs does not make you an expert on Japanese culture, folks.) The Japanese often include stereotypes completely unironically and without even realizing they could be taken as offensively. RE 5 is without a doubt the obvious example. I think almost every American developer would have had a little red flag go up. Even if it isn't racially offensive, the Mighty Whitey protagonist shooting up native Africans with his Not Too Black hottie (braindead) sidekick just has to be handled with kid gloves.

I do not believe the Japanese get that.

American developers aren't much better, to be frank. I just conducted a little informal survey of my current gen games. Of, sure, Louis and Rochelle of L4D are minority characters who don't stumble all over themselves as racial stereotypes. Lots of shooters have the Black Heavy Weapons Guy who plays second fiddle to the white-as-snow commander. Prey was almost stunning in its preachy "native Americans good - and totally a stereotype" vein. I counted that in 33 of 35 games where there was a defined protagonist AND the game isn't in a fantasy 'verse, he was white. (ME, Rockband, sports games, etc all create a protagonist or play a team. A fantasy 'verse might excuse the lack of racial minorities. Etc. I'm counting games where there is one or two clearly defined protagonists.)

This line up is whiter than a 1920's golf course. And females? Doing better than minorities, which should not be mistaken as doing well.

And then, the exceptions: Garcia Fucking Hotspur, a character so disgustingly full of stereotype he comes around again into full parody mode. Tommy, the Cherokee from Prey so hackneyed and forgettable I had to look him up, and the black cop from House of the Dead: Overkill, a character so busy speaking jive and saying motherfucker I can't be assed to look him up.

Against these stereotypes, what well rounded, non-white, non-Japanese characters can I spot? I can spot a couple of token black guys in shooters. Jacob Taylor may be an annoying character, but at least it's not due to an attempt to portray race. The captain from Dead Space, also so forgettable I don't care to find out his name.

And no, I don't want to hear about Carl from GTA; that series can't clear up its hammy ethnic gangs by having one minority protagonist, especially when he's a criminal.

Yeah. This industry has a long way to go on this. Still, while it seems to me Japanese developers tend to load up on walking stereotypes almost unintentionally (just look at the Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter or Soul Caliber line-ups, OK?), western developers just don't even portray well-written minority characters.

And Gracia Fucking Hotspur? Seriously, did no one on that team decide that making a Mexican character who speaks maybe twelve words of Spanish, eight of them obscene, regains health by drinking tequila, and who speaks with an accent more stereotyped than Speedy Gonzales was a wee bit much?

Mr.Pandah:
q fucking q. Honestly, People like this just bother me. They're always looking for something. I can't believe that people still get bothered by things like this. So, close your eyes and imagine she's white if it bothers you that god damn much while you're playing this game.

I know why people look for stuff like this, but I still have to ask... WHY DO PEOPLE STILL LOOK FOR STUFF LIKE THIS!? It boggles my mind.

Because they have no merit as a person and have to start shit for anyone to pay any attention to them at all. It's funny to me, as it makes me even more indifferent to a person when they act like this. PC acting morons can, live, be successful, be happy, be unhappy, kill themselves, die a natural death, die by car crash, by fire, by any number of ways and I honestly simply could not care any less about them or their fate.

Whiny, squeaky wheel, type people with no real valid grievances are a sad excuse for a human being, with all the more they could have possibly been. It's a vast waste of potential.

I HATE it when people declare things like this racist. PEOPLE TALK LIKE THIS IN REAL LIFE. Very, VERY stupid statement. One of the scientists in the game was African-American, there were many different african-american characters in the game, and because ONE talked like she was from the deep south, it is instantly racist? There isn't even anything racist about a southern accent for crying out loud! There was a guy with a strong Irish accent who said 'Lad' and 'Wankers' they must also hate the irish, huh?

Sober Thal:
Does this mean Bill Cosby is racist for making Fat Albert?

The way she talks, I nearly expected him to walk on stage.

"Hey, hey, hey, what's going down Adam?"

This is non issue.

Whoever thought this was racist is either an idiot or someone looking to make a quick buck from publicity.

Either way, they can bugger off, and the game developers should tell them aas such.

she sounded more like a guy to me =/ but I have to be honest there is a definite stereotype there.

One slum-dwelling black character does not a racist game make. I've met black people like that, and I've met black people who have got their shit more together than I do and will probably go much farther in life than I will, and I've met black people who are just plain people. It would be racist to claim that categories 2 and 3 don't exist, but it's not racist to include an example of the first category.

People are putting so much effort and time into finding things to get offended about that I imagine the time and energy lost to this ridiculousness is causing more harm to humanity than the things they are getting offended by.

To be honest, I'm more shocked at how bad the lip-synching and character movement is. I think 1998 was the last time I saw animation like this, in the original Half-Life. The voice acting is probably meant to be a parody of the action genre but it fails as hard or harder than that of Just Cause 2.

And it's one of the brownest games I've ever seen.

Why was there so much interest in this game?

iniudan:

F.A.T. Larry's last line perfectly say my sentiment toward what this guy is saying.

Ha! Forgot this one!

The IP this was based on stumbled over backwards trying to be progressive, then went with flat out Hollywood versions of so many cultures it included in its games. I really like VtM: Bloodlines and WW - and I still can't think of any non-white characters who aren't a cookie-cutter stereotype. Lessee, there was that one black guy in Nines' bar, oh, and Nines himself.

Other than that, there was the Japanese schoolgirl demonhunter who used gratuitous Japanese even when she spoke English, the crazy Chinese soldier who ran a "herb store" and sold guns, the half-assed Asian mystic, the mysterious Asian businessman working for the zaibatsu, and Ming Xiao, who could have been the Dragon Lady in any given bad pulp bit from the 30's. And LA had, well, one Hispanic character who had a speaking role?

...at least it wasn't a worthless, throw-away character.

I almost burst out out laughing when I first played the video

but like Greg, I hear that accent from different ethnicities (okay maybe not always so strong but still)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here