Surprise! Lots Of People Are Buying Black Ops

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Surprise! Lots Of People Are Buying Black Ops

Activision shifted over 23 million copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops and 18 million map packs over the first nine months of its release.

That's a lot of sales. So many, in fact, that Activision felt the need to record it all in this handy chart, measuring sales of its ludicrously popular murder-simulator against the combined install base numbers of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Needless to say, the sales numbers have gone up with each installment. For comparison, Black Ops made $650 million in its first five days of release, compared to the mere $550 million record set by Modern Warfare 2.

Those controversial $15 map packs seem to be selling like hotcakes as well. Black Ops owners have purchased over 18 million of them, earning Activision a cool $270 million. If my vole-level math skills don't fail me, that works out as 13.5 million of your earth dollars per map, very nice.

However, the gold-plated execubots at Activision aren't counting their insanely profitable chickens before they hatch, and as such, haven't released any predictions for the upcoming Modern Warfare 3's performance. They do, however, predict a 20% increase in the HD console install base, which in turn, likely means more games sold. Oh, and the way their little chart is framed kind of implies that they're guessing MW3's sales are going to be somewhere between "absurdly large number" and "Haha. Now we can buy the sun."

You may now begin complaining.

Source: Joystiq

In before inevitable "Call of Duty sucks, Battlefield 3 will be better (Or vice versa)" comments (God you people are annoying), but I still think 15$ per map pack is ridiculous no matter how you slice it. I thought people would actually not buy them and not let Activision get their way, but I guess I was wrong.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

OT: I really do think it's funny that they don't think there is actually a limit to how many people buy their games.

To be fair though, their rate of growth does actually suggest that. If they do sell that much I might cry a little.

Oh no, just another excuse for people to needlessly hate...
well, whatever gives people a false sense of superiority. Just count me out.

OT: Well considering the amount of copies sold keeps rising with each game, I wouldn't be surprised if MW3 is another record breaker.

MW2 oddly still has better numbers playing on steam, despite it being the inferior game, especially on PC.

Baneat:
MW2 oddly still has better numbers playing on steam, despite it being the inferior game, especially on PC.

Honestly, no. Even though it lacks dedicated servers, Black Ops is still buggy as hell. I couldn't play it decently for 6 months after I purchased it, and soon after it got fixed, another patch broke it for me again.

As far as gameplay goes, I would say Black Ops is better if I could actually play the fucking game.

Selling a lot of shit doesn't make it not shit. Just well-marketed shit.

Yeah.. Totally saw that coming. Same with the mappacks. 15 bucks for a bunch of maps is just ridiculous.

Imagine if every new game out there decided to drop mod support and map making support. Everything DLC'd.

BF3 is going in the exact same direction. No mods, no maps by the community. Bring in the DLCs. Ask outrageous prices for minor content. I "vote with my wallet" and don't buy em. Though that leaves me behind, and my wallet doesn't have much of an impact.. People apparently accept the 15 bucks for 5 small maps .. in large numbers. I don't see this trend dying anytime soon.

Oh well.

*obvious dig at Activision/EA*

*comparison of two popular military shooter franchises*

*complaint about overpriced DLC*

*inflammatory remark on low age of online playerbase*

*witty quip before hitting post*

Cant say that I am the slightest bit surprised. They seem to know exactly what people want and are continueing to give them exactly that. I expect MW3 will probably break blackops record. You never know though with battlefield 3 coming out. That series has been gaining a lot of popularity in the last year.

Twilight sold a million copies in two and a half years. Making it the fastest selling book ever.

So? There's a lot of people willing to buy what they're told to buy - whatever state it's in.

Tzekelkan:

You should come write for us, mate.

Grey Carter:

Tzekelkan:

You should come write for us, mate.

I agree its well done, but he did forget...

*obvious comparison to anything else that was ever popular*

I mean whats next complaints about how COD is now "the beatles" of gaming??

Activision clearly doesn't think it has to up its game to make those sales and as long as we the consumer continue to buy this crap, they won't change there business model. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU DISLIKE MW2 and BO!!!! If you don't like what they are doing then don't feed them more money to keep making crap. If you like the games they make then fine buy it but don't cry on the forums because they don't listen to the consumers, make horrible SP, horrible balance, gimmick gameplay, over priced DLC (which if you buy it you only feed the monster), etc.

Honestly as somebody who both hates every CoD after MW1 and refuses to buy the games it baffles me that so many people hate on the game and yet so many of them probably keep buying this crap on release and buy the DLC. Your angry forum post mean nothing if you helping them make profits.

AlternatePFG:
[B]ut I still think 15$ per map pack is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

I would agree with you, but really, I can't. It would be hypocritical of me, seeing that I downloaded Mass Effect 2 DlC (which I have really enjoyed). Those missions aren't that long and I couldn't help but download some alt-appearance/weapon packs.

COD has a pretty strong market, and there is evidently strong demand for content which extends the life of the overall product. I really can't fault gamers who get the map packs, because they are likely to extract a lot of enjoyment from them.

How the hell did the shift that many copies of what is arguably a game that is the same or worse then other fps rivals? Then to add to it all, they manage to sell vast numbers of dlc.
Well hats of to their marketing team but yeash, people need to start reasoning their purchases before so readily handing cash over to someone else.

Rather pay 15 dollars then 40/60 for a re-release like capcom love doing, people complaining about 15 bucks it cost a lot just to pay the thousands that put these packs together also let's not forget last gen when if companys wanted to give us something new they had to release the game a second time which capcom thinks is still acceptable this gen just saying 15 bucks is a lot better then have to buy cod 5 times over.

Man, how awesome wouldn't it be to work on one of those games. Sure the devs just get ~20% of the profit, but that's still a damn lot divided unequally between ~400 people.
Oh, and I'm really surprised at the amount of people that spend that much on map packs.

Fair enough. I didn't spend money on it so I couldn't care less.

Why would I complain? This is great! Now the annoying co-workers/people who keep demanding that I buy Call Of Duty are, statistically, still doing so, so I can avoid them by playing different games!

I think they're going to make the "haha, now we can buy the sun" amount of money on MW3 but then again, that should be a given. Every time they come out with a new Call of Duty game it seems to shater the previous game's "record".

Anyway, I will be buying MW3 because I like playing games in which you shoot people in the face to release the tesion after a long day. Battlefield 3 will also be on my game radar for shooting people in the face.

I like how the graph is trying to show that their CoD games keep increasing with popularity and each one sells more then the last, but they start with World at War instead of the first MW.

I'm more impressed by how much the "HD install base" increases each year.

It doubled in just two years! I think I only bought my PS3 in early 2009, but still.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Twilight sold a million copies in two and a half years. Making it the fastest selling book ever.

So? There's a lot of people willing to buy what they're told to buy - whatever state it's in.

Are you sure about that? I would have a hard time believing the last few Harry Potter books didn't pull more than that on release day.
Maybe it's the fastest selling original non-sequel? That would be more logical.

Mr.K.:

Jimbo1212:
How the hell did the shift that many copies of what is arguably a game that is the same or worse then other fps rivals? Then to add to it all, they manage to sell vast numbers of dlc.
Well hats of to their marketing team but yeash, people need to start reasoning their purchases before so readily handing cash over to someone else.

Simple popstar / consumer effect, people will like it because it's THE new thing to like.

One of the main reasons I haven't bought any main stream shooters in my entire decade-long console gaming career is simply because I know they are going to come out with a new one next year and that will be the new big game.
This DLC just adds to it, $15 for four maps, which have no connected plot or single player aspect... (They don't do they?)

Oh christ this is priceless, our mind really is a beautiful thing when it wants to like something it will justify it by any means necessary :D

I wonder at what price point would people actually consider not buying the map packs? 20 / 30 / 40?
Hell I bet they could squeeze a full 60$ if they put on a good show.

Jimbo1212:

Simple popstar / consumer effect, people will like it because it's THE new thing to like.

i feel happier now that ive not brought a map mack for the rediculously high 1200ms points (although i am ashamed of myself for buying two of the WaW ones, although shi no numa was definately worth it! (and that was on cheap for 400ms)

although it would appear that a great percentage of sheep who buy every cod game
(me included :), although i have every cod game every since 1 (admitelly i never had united offensive but that was only an expansion pack so be quiet!)
did infact buy these wonderful dlc's at frankly bargain bucket prices. literally the value of 5 maps for £10, oh lordy lordy, whoda think we was in a credit crunch

well, good for them I guess. I'm just hoping they'll use it on at least one game that's actually good some day.

I'm also hoping that by 22 I'll have the power of mind controll and talking robot dog.

but seriously it's kind of sad that people who have this much money and marketing experience are using it on generic shit. Yeah CoD 4 was good but fuck you, that was years ago.

What the hell do they do with all that money? Except hiding it up there ass, but only so much fits in there.

I'd be more interested in finding out how many map packs/games sold on their own merit and how many sold due to peer pressure from friends, Not as a dig to CoD or Activision but I think a lot of their sells percentage comes purely from friend peer preasure into buying map packs and games so they can still play together.

Though I doubt it's possible to work out such a ratio, though I know in my own case everytime I logged onto Live and got an invite to play BO's in a party I was met with a chorus of 'Man, why don't you have [insert] map pack yet?'.

Satsuki666:
Cant say that I am the slightest bit surprised. They seem to know exactly what people want and are continueing to give them exactly that. I expect MW3 will probably break blackops record. You never know though with battlefield 3 coming out. That series has been gaining a lot of popularity in the last year.

Yeah! Releasing fundamentally the same game after 9 months is much worse than doing it after 12! C'mon! Gosh!

All the changes that have been made to the CoD franchise since CoD4 could've been DLC and xpacks for the story that took a left turn into Insaneland a couple of games ago.

Also, Battlefield 3 won't outsell it, too much "my friends are getting it, so I will too" with MW3.

Mr.K.:
Oh christ this is priceless, our mind really is a beautiful thing when it wants to like something it will justify it by any means necessary :D

I wonder at what price point would people actually consider not buying the map packs? 20 / 30 / 40?
Hell I bet they could squeeze a full 60$ if they put on a good show.

They did you one better there with CoD Elite, so they can just continually charge you, even if they don't release anything new that month.

The most IMPORTANT map pack is yet to come on the PS3. ZOMBIES ON THE MOON! And the season finale to the zombie storyline. Joy!

Frostbite3789:

Satsuki666:

Yeah! Releasing fundamentally the same game after 9 months is much worse than doing it after 12! C'mon! Gosh!

Every twelve months or cant you count?

All the changes that have been made to the CoD franchise since CoD4 could've been DLC and xpacks for the story that took a left turn into Insaneland a couple of games ago.

I could also say the exact same thing about nearly every other game that has a sequal even battlefield. We all know it makes perfect sense to create an expansion pack or dlc for a story that has absolutely nothing to do with the game. Dont be idiotic.

but wait...wasn't MW2 better than Black Ops??

oh right. well that doesn't explain too much but enough.

Still a boring, ugly game. But, boring and ugly are what's cool these days. Maybe Activision will use all the money they make off re-releasing the same game every year to make some new and interesting games.. and maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.

This just in: Water is wet, sun is hot, and CoD sells well again. This and other shocking news at 11!

I don't really care how all that works out but I hope they know that there sales could drop. Their games are popular but popular != invincible.

There's a reason people consider piracy....

Anyways, I wish for a day without DLC......

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here