NASA: "Apollo 18 Is Not a Documentary"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

NASA: "Apollo 18 Is Not a Documentary"

The space agency wants to make it clear that the horror film about zombies on the moon is not real.

As P.T. Barnum famously said, a sucker is born every minute. Still, the conceit that a film shown in a public movie house is actually footage from some terrible event is a compelling one. The Blair Witch Project was perhaps the first film that used fake documentary-style footage to garner widespread commercial success, but there were some viewers who believed that the story portrayed was real. The marketing campaign for Apollo 18 suggests that the film is cut from recently discovered archival footage of a secret mission to the moon that has gone awry. NASA contends that the last moon mission was Apollo 17, launched in 1972, and disavows all connection to the Weinstein-produced movie.

"Apollo 18 is not a documentary," said Bert Ulrich from NASA. "The film is a work of fiction, and we always knew that. We were minimally involved with this picture. We never even saw a rough cut. The idea of portraying the Apollo 18 mission as authentic is simply a marketing ploy."

NASA has worked extensively with Hollywood in the past to lend movies an air of authenticity, but ultimately had to back away from Apollo 18 due to its intentional misleading of the public. The space agency also chose to walk away from the film 2000 The Red Planet due to its shoddy scientific premise.

"The science was just so off the wall that eventually we felt, 'You guys go ahead and make your movie.' If there's something that's going to be so misleading to the public that we don't want to participate, then we'll say no," said Ulrich. "The big thing is, we want to make sure we're not misleading the public completely."

I'm glad that NASA finds it necessary to inform people that movies are not based in reality, proving that it's important for government agencies to state the obvious. While we're at it, zombies aren't real, cigarettes will kill you and taxes suck. Can I get a government job now?

By the way, if you read this story without singing Fingertips from the They Might Be Giants album, then we can't be friends.

Source: L.A. Times

So basically they are saying;

"Don't even start guys!" To the conspiracy theories and people wearing tin foil hats.

The worst part is people still won't believe them. And while it does seem like they're pointing out the obvious, really they did have to. People would have thought it was real otherwise. Because a lot of people are that gullible.

I kinda feel bad for NASA all the bad rap that they get.

Oh, glad they cleared that up... *rolls eyes*

But they would say that though wouldn't they.

People still think they faked the moon landing despite everyone and mythbusters saying otherwise so as silly as this is. The past validates the silliness at least concerning that certain harebrained demographic.

Wait a moment, what about Transformers 3?! I bet that is all real, just like wrestling :)

Anyone so credulous as to believe that moon zombies are a real thing isn't going to be dissuaded by a simple denial.

Whoa there big fella.

You are telling me NASA had to tell people it's not real or they would believe it was?

How fucking dense does a person have to be if they believe what they see in a film?

Now if you'll excuse me I saw a program earlier about giant robots that change into cars and shit attacking the earth so i'm off to find a safe place to hide.

you mean there AREN'T zombies on the moon? Next you'll be telling me that world martial arts tournaments with the intent of world dominations don't actually exist.

well, at least we know that there is at least 1 government body with a sense of integrity.

Seriously, was anyone wanting to see this movie? Blair Witch in space doesn't seem that appealing...to me at least...

It's a shame Apollo 18 isn't real.

Because then NASA would have a reason to have given up on space travel.

Jerks.

Fingertips!
Fingertips!
Fingertips!

Which describes how I'm feeling all the time.

All I can say is...
No shit :D
That was infroming NASA thank you!

It makes me sad that if Nasa had to come out and tell people this wasn't real, that must mean that someone out there thought it was. That's really stupid.

How did zombies even GET to the moon? You've intrigued me, Apollo 18. I may have to watch you.

Also, this film is entirely unbelievable. As we all know, the moon is REALLY a hiding place for the Independence Day mothership, as well as a crash site Decepticons and source of infinite fascination to werewolves. Who knew the moon was so important?

Tsh, yeah, right. Next you'll be telling me that Terminator isn't based on real-life events.

Movie geeks may remember the movie Cannibal Holocaust, which was Blair Witch-like before Blair Witch, and the director actually made it look 'real' - for example he had the actors disappear for a few months after the movie got made, so it looked like they're dead. There was even a court where he had to prove the effects are fake.

The same happened later with some Japanese gorefest movie. I don't remember the specifics, but some Hollywood actor got a hand of it, thought it was actually real and called the FBI. They told him they are aware of the movie and it's actually fake. So the actor apparently wasn't the first one to report it.

While we're at it I suppose it would be informative to tell you the moon is NOT made out of cheese either...

Haha this is HILARIOUS!!!

NASA won't fool me. Do they think that I'm one of these simple minded crazy americans?

Well I'm not, HA, I've won this time Illuminati. Dont tell me this isn't real footage, I know it is, and tha- [404 ERROR DATA NOT FOUND] -and then he took the mask off, and underneath that was ANOTHER MASK!!!

Greg Tito:
I'm glad that NASA finds it necessary to inform people that movies are not based in reality, proving that it's important for government agencies to state the obvious. While we're at it, zombies aren't real, cigarettes will kill you and taxes suck. Can I get a government job now?

It seems pretty clear that NASA themselves know that this is stupid. Unfortunately having to tell stupid people the obvious is just one more nail in the cross that they have to bear.

Aidinthel:
Anyone so credulous as to believe that moon zombies are a real thing isn't going to be dissuaded by a simple denial.

Sad but true.

Kapol:
The worst part is people still won't believe them.

Worse, they'll probably believe it more strongly.

How can anyone think that moon zombies can be real?

Nobody is that stupid...I think.

Guys, I know it's ridiculous, but they're just nipping it in the bud. I realise this is a whole new level of stupid, but I have talked to people who thought (most of them before they saw the movie, thankfully) that Paranormal Activity was all real footage or whatever. Yes, really.

The thing that saddens me is that this was probably validated. There's people out there that will believe anything about NASA if you can make it plausible enough. Remember, the moon landing hoax debate (and most of the "evidence" produced for it) was started by the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who believe the moon landing was a fabrication because when they took photos of the Earth...it was round. Yet, despite that, NASA's had to fight off hoax accusations for decades.

This is obviously just a movie to people with functioning brains. But the minute I saw the trailer I said to everyone I could "watch for it, someone's going to take this damn thing seriously".

Yet to see confirmation of that, but my gut tells me NASA's either A) heard rumblings of it from crackpots or B) had the same feeling I did and wants to nip it in the butt before they have to discredit more ridiculous debates on the subject.

DischordantMind:
How did zombies even GET to the moon? You've intrigued me, Apollo 18. I may have to watch you.

Also, this film is entirely unbelievable. As we all know, the moon is REALLY a hiding place for the Independence Day mothership, as well as a crash site Decepticons and source of infinite fascination to werewolves. Who knew the moon was so important?

What, you don't sacrifice daily to the Moon? Weirdo...

OT:No shit? The moon is the only reason Zombies aren't here then!

welll Clearly nasa is lying. cant trust the government.

XD Im joking. Honestly, its really said that NASA has to actually come out and state this.

oh durn. i dun fort it wer reel

There be some stupid fuckers in the world.

I think NASA's original reply to this conspiracy was "whut?"

Why am I reminded of this?

There's a reason we've never gone back to the moon

man has walked the moon six fucking times

I miss 2001

You know what, if I was a NASA spokesperson I'd have just told everyone it was real. Let the idiots enjoy their delusion.

what the hell?
next they'll be trying to tell us paranormal activity wasnt real

We don't need any more proof that there is zombies on the moon because they wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't true.

Zombie are not real?? Someone should tell the government.

The CDC spend money training and get people ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here