NASA: "Apollo 18 Is Not a Documentary"

Pages PREV 1 2 3

hannan4mitch:

Kapol:
The worst part is people still won't believe them. And while it does seem like they're pointing out the obvious, really they did have to. People would have thought it was real otherwise. Because a lot of people are that gullible.

Much to the rest of the sane world's chagrin.

PS. A little out of topic, but everyone's avatar is Justin Bieber. Is something wrong?

Uh, you do realize when someone says to NOT DO something, don't do it?

I don't care about this, but I'm glad to hear about the tangentially related The Red Planet case, since it means NASA still has the publicly-funded balls to drop out of a movie because its SCIENCE is stupid.

It just shows that there are a lot of stupid people out there that would readily believe that this movie is real. Just like "Capricorn One".

I can understand their wanting to clarify that it's not a documentary... if nothing else, it might serve as a nice angle to get people to learn more about NASA and drum up interest in the space program again... but if they're distancing themselves from it altogether, that means the movie is awful... and since it's not screened for critics, the people who made it know it too.

It's a shame, the premise is impressive.

The_root_of_all_evil:
It's a shame Apollo 18 isn't real.

Because then NASA would have a reason to have given up on space travel.

Jerks.

To be fair, they probably had a reason, but it was likely related to the American people not caring anymore after we beat the U.S.S.R., and the fact that it was ungodly expensive to send people to the moon.

that being said...yeah, I wish we would have kept going with the moon program. Hell, we have have found a quicker way to Mars at this point if we had.

I never even for a second thought that this movie had a true story. The fact that people did is pathetic and makes me very sad.

I bet the zombies are really just really old,really hungry Imperial Troopers who got lost on the way to the Death Star. THAT'S NO MOON!

Bahahahahaha!!!! Wow. Was this really needed?

NASA is obviously acting on behalf of the Illuminati trying to cover up Space Zombies.

The lies... they are so vile..

Seriously NASA, I think you guys are taking this "keep it real approach" a bit too far...

They just come to you for help making it look more real, I'm sure the movie producers understand that it will eventually be understood that it wasn't real...try to have a little fun while you're being shut down indefinitely.

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* Surely its NASA just over reacting... PLEASE... if not can we send whoever needed this cleared up to the moon.

...and why, exactly, did they have to say this? Let the morons believe it's real if they want, they'll just shut themselves in and starve to death when they run out of baked beans and can't bring themselves to venture into the real world to find more.

This reminds me of Assasins Creed where a big dislcamer pops up reminding you, first and foremost, that its a work of fiction. Yes, we know idiots watch these movies and play these games but you dont have to spell out everything just for them!

TimeLord:
So basically they are saying;

"Don't even start guys!" To the conspiracy theories and people wearing tin foil hats.

What they fail to realize is what gets them started isn't the "release" of such footage, but rather the statement that it's not real! Conspiracy theorists don't care about things that people think are plausible. They become interested the second somebody says it's not real.

KennardKId5:

hannan4mitch:

Kapol:
The worst part is people still won't believe them. And while it does seem like they're pointing out the obvious, really they did have to. People would have thought it was real otherwise. Because a lot of people are that gullible.

Much to the rest of the sane world's chagrin.

PS. A little out of topic, but everyone's avatar is Justin Bieber. Is something wrong?

Uh, you do realize when someone says to NOT DO something, don't do it?

Well shit, is it fixable?

Why we never returned to the moon?

Simple answer:

Transformers were already on the dark side; that was a mess; NASA is still waiting for the Transformers to refund them for their tickets/popcorn.

-----

Anyway, as sad (pathetic) as it is that NASA actually had to "reveal" this is fake, it is almost equally sad that now if I ever do see Apollo 18, the suspension of disbelief will be constantly tugged at because NASA had to go and announce that something obviously fictitious was, in fact, fictitious.

E.g. *Watching Scene* --> *Rising suspense* --> *OMG OMG OMG-Wait... NASA blabbed about how this isn't real, damn....

SHOW THE MONSTER ALREADY!!! >:(

Oh false alarm, well at least I'm ready for an alien invasion... I think?

This story makes me weep for the human race.

Have we honestly gotten to the point as a species where we need it pointed out to us that a film like this is a work of fiction?

I say bring on the alien invasion. Genocide is too good for us.

Sad thing is, they pretty much have to say this because there will always be "those people" that would think other wise.

Yes. Apollo 18 is not real and did not occur. If you really believe that a major film company would just pick up a real piece of film of a horrific event and release it in cinemas for monetarial gain... your house probably has only four padded walls and one locked door.

Everyone knows that the real reason we've never gone back to the moon is because of the Decepticons![/sarcasm]

The_root_of_all_evil:

Rockchimp69:

I think the reason they're giving up that for now is massive budget cuts and debt.

Pfft...take the troops out of everywhere else in the world then.

Sorry, I find it truly bile-inducing that our dreams have to be given up because some jerks can't do their job properly. And they still have theirs.

And the retardedly rich people of the music and movie industries, don't forget them. That's good money right there that could be used for space travel.

Rockchimp69:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Rockchimp69:

I think the reason they're giving up that for now is massive budget cuts and debt.

Sorry, I find it truly bile-inducing that our dreams have to be given up because some jerks can't do their job properly. And they still have theirs.

And the retardedly rich people of the music and movie industries, don't forget them. That's good money right there that could be used for space travel.

It still terrifies me that the levels of pay go Entertainment, Defence, Law, Education, Health instead of the other way around.

DischordantMind:
How did zombies even GET to the moon? You've intrigued me, Apollo 18. I may have to watch you.

Also, this film is entirely unbelievable. As we all know, the moon is REALLY a hiding place for the Independence Day mothership, as well as a crash site Decepticons and source of infinite fascination to werewolves. Who knew the moon was so important?

That reminds me, when are we getting that Kung-Fu Werewolves on the Moon film? The moon seems a more natural home for werewolves than it does for zombies.

I was initially quite intrigued by the prospect of this film initially, but not so much now. Perhaps I was thinking we were going to get something more in the tune of an actual sci-fi horror like Event Horizon, not another film in the found footage style. Also, I'm for zombies every now and then but really, zombies...on the moon?

Woah woah woah!

Wait, this film is about zombies? On the moon?

I have to watch this.

Sgt. Sykes:
Movie geeks may remember the movie Cannibal Holocaust, which was Blair Witch-like before Blair Witch, and the director actually made it look 'real' - for example he had the actors disappear for a few months after the movie got made, so it looked like they're dead. There was even a court where he had to prove the effects are fake.

The same happened later with some Japanese gorefest movie. I don't remember the specifics, but some Hollywood actor got a hand of it, thought it was actually real and called the FBI. They told him they are aware of the movie and it's actually fake. So the actor apparently wasn't the first one to report it.

Yeah, I remember Cannibal Holocaust but this is completely different. To make it anything like the Cannibal Holocaust movie you would have had to plant false information and shit. The makers of Apollo 18 did nothing of the sort.

what but there are zombies on the moon! why do you think nasa invested millions in creating a nuclear missile to attack the moon??

but yeah the films a fake :)

The fact that these kind of announcements even have to be made baffles me to no end.

I would say the movie isn't real too, if someone leeked the footage of the Super Double Dog Secret Apollo 18.

Bullshit, we all know this is real. This is the reason we didn't go back there. They just don't want us to know.

It's only a conspiracy theory until someone proves it!

Honestly, I understand why NASA felt the need to come out and say this. You see, NASA is an organization devoted to real, hard science; giving even tacit approval to a movie about zombies on the Moon would just be fuel for the idiots ("The movie was endorsed by NASA! It HAS to be true!") and lower NASA's status in the scientific community.

With that seriousness out of the way, it's time for something completely different.

We're zombies on the Moon
It's here we've been marooned
And there is no air
But we don't care
We'll still moan our zombie tune

The_root_of_all_evil:

Rockchimp69:

The_root_of_all_evil:

It still terrifies me that the levels of pay go Entertainment, Defence, Law, Education, Health instead of the other way around.

Exactly, and don't get me wrong I like music and movies as much as the next guy :P but all we're doing is giving huge amounts to people with something which is just a talent.

Jodah:
You know the worst part about this? That it has to be said in the first place. What kind of society have we devolved into where people actually think there are zombies on the moon?

If anything, it's gotten better. When The War of the Worlds radio play was first broadcast in 1938, nearly two million people believed it was the real deal. Compared to that, a handful of conspiracy nuts who think there are moon zombies out there is hardly a big deal.

Wow...really? REALLY? I mean, youtube comments on the trailer videos were bad enough, but when NASA has to release something like this it's just silly. Obviously has something to do with the conspiracy theories that the movie was influenced by, including the claims that Apollo 18 discovered alien corpses or a downed alien craft. Just silly.

Bet most of the guys working at NASA now wished they were around there in the 60s and 70s instead.

I think we need to call in Buzz Aldrin on this one:

Only would have been better if he yelled "I'M BUZZ ALDRIN BITCH, AND I WALKED ON THE FUCKING MOON."

Robomega:

Jodah:
You know the worst part about this? That it has to be said in the first place. What kind of society have we devolved into where people actually think there are zombies on the moon?

If anything, it's gotten better. When The War of the Worlds radio play was first broadcast in 1938, nearly two million people believed it was the real deal. Compared to that, a handful of conspiracy nuts who think there are moon zombies out there is hardly a big deal.

That was mostly the result of Wells' amazing performance and the fact that people tuned in late for the show. Not to mention the fact that Wells only stated it was a radio play at the very start. Imagine if you turned on your TV one night and saw a news report of aliens attacking New York which seemed completely real. You'd be freaked out too.

Ergh, I hate this. Its as if people think that because NASA has said its fake then it isn't a good film. I watched the film and loved it but I didn't believe for one second that it actually happened. Its called suspension of disbelief people.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here