Activision Prices Call of Duty Elite

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Activision Prices Call of Duty Elite

Activision has finally revealed the price of the upcoming Call of Duty Elite.

Activision unveiled the subscription-based Call of Duty Elite service back in May but it's only today that gamers found out how much they'll actually have to pay for it. At the Call of Duty XP event that went down this weekend, the company announced that Elite will cost $49.99 per year, for which players will receive early access to all Modern Warfare 3 map packs, free DLC [including the map packs], the opportunity to enter tournaments and compete for real-world prizes and to watch "pro-commentated match reports and strategy videos."

But that's not all! Call of Duty Elite subscriptions also include Elite TV, with videos like "Noob Tube," narrated by Arrested Development stars Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, and the live-action series "Friday Night Fights," produced by Hollywood heavyweights Ridley and Tony Scott, which will feature "real-life rivals getting together in multiplayer to battle it out COD style." The service will also include previously-detailed free functionality like custom leaderboards, detailed stats, Facebook integration and apps for iOS and Android that allow players to customize their online loadouts.

I can't for the life of me imagine how videos narrated by a couple of sitcom stars qualify as a major selling point but with more than two million people signing up for the beta in less than two weeks, there's obviously some serious interest here. And here's something else interesting: the $100 Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition includes one year of Elite service, making it a pretty good buy for anyone who plans to sign up.

Call of Duty Elite goes live in conjunction with the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on November 8. For a full list of Elite features, check out callofduty.com/elite.

Source: PC Gamer

I may pick the game up at some point but I can't see myself ever paying for Elite.. but it does sound like a decent deal for those really into the game, and we all know there are a ton of people that qualify for that distinction.

What's that sound? Thats the sound of many unsuspecting parents' wallets being opened for their darling 12 year old kid.

for 50$ a year plus a 60$ buying price I expect a great MMO with really good servers.
not a stat tracking system for a game that uses the host&join system.
Activision isn't paying for anything to keep the game up (bug fixing and game servers)
Activision just keeps spamming 15$ DLC's for a few map packs
and now they want another 50$ A YEAR????
thats going to be around 200$ a year for a 100% CoD experience.
nope I am not getting that.

Fifty bucks huh? Or I could just not buy it and watch all the content online for free. If I wanted to watch an esport, it wouldn't be an FPS. That kind of game is TERRIBLE for spectating. And I'd want a commentator on pro level, not some guy sitting there saying "he just made a huge mistake". This is a spectacular fail waiting to happen, but if it's as popular as those numbers suggest, it could take broadcast esports in a new, horrible direction.

$50 a year, aka $50 per game

$50 for map packs a few days early and some boring arse commentaries? Paaaaass

If you pay us a yearly subscription you can pay us for map packs before everyone else!

sir.rutthed:
Fifty bucks huh? Or I could just not buy it and watch all the content online for free. If I wanted to watch an esport, it wouldn't be an FPS. That kind of game is TERRIBLE for spectating. And I'd want a commentator on pro level, not some guy sitting there saying "he just made a huge mistake". This is a spectacular fail waiting to happen, but if it's as popular as those numbers suggest, it could take broadcast esports in a new, horrible direction.

Next WoW patch after Elite goes live?

Pro-Commentated arena's and battlegrounds.

oh, it will cost 100 gold per week for the subscription, in other unrelated news, Blizzard opens cash4gold: WoW edition shop.

OT: Elite is a horrible idea, but then again, having a third, let alone a second Modern Warfare game was also bad idea's.

I already know some 13 year old with access to his parents credit card will buy Elite just to show people how good bad he really is.

Lacsapix:
for 50$ a year plus a 60$ buying price I expect a great MMO with really good servers.
Activision isn't paying for anything to keep the game up (bug fixing and game servers)

Not to mention another $60 a year if your playing on the Xbox.

but anyway this is just plainly brutal all the games I am intending to buy for the rest of the year don't cost that much.

The hardened comes with elite sub right whats stopping people from buying multi copies of hardened and keeping the code returning it even buying two you could return one with a used code...

Lacsapix:

If you're on xbox that's another 60 dollars a year...In other words you're paying 110 dollars a year + 60 dollars up front costs just to play ONE game.

Also...does early access to map packs mean they're complimentary with the service or does that just mean you get to pay for them sooner than everyone else..........

... "Hardened Edition"?
That's just wrong on sooooo many levels, and made worse by the fact that parents will shell out cash so their kids can enjoy the Hardened goodness too!

Value seems a bit off considering that the game does not have a constantly evolving world ala an MMO. These features were also present for free in the lastest Halo games. I suppose its ok for those who are really into the game but its not really something with any real degree of worth.

Once again another corner of gaming that was previously given as a courtesy to gamers to enticve them to buy a game has been heavily monitised by a lesser competitor. This generation of consoles has, by and large, brought us nothing but slaps in the face; On-Disk DLC, cut-content DLC, broken releases, lack of patching, paid map-packs and ancillary montised services a plenty.

Wait, for that 50$ a year do they get all map packs for free because if they do then I guess that's not a bad deal for those who are really into the game.

Im guessing 50 dollars in the US = 50 euros in Germany because we always get ripped off. In which case:

PFDDFGHUVHH WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Honestly, if it was 20 euros a year I would have subscribed to that shit straight away. But 50? Seriously? Fuck that.

Lacsapix:

Well if you pay $50 a year for Elite you get all the DLC for free (and keep it once your sub ends) so your saving a lot more by doing Elite over all.

So $200 is HIGHLY exagerated.

So they want $50 for you to be able to give them $15 earlier than other people will? Sorry what? Am I missing the point completely?

wow. really? That's..a large chunk of money.

You're not even getting that much. Last time I checked most commentated esports events were free to watch, stats like these have been free for ages (maybe not as comprehensive but honestly, it's just a bunch of graphs), and paying for the ability to enter tournaments is just silly.

so what are you paying for then?

I just have visions of CoD fans stood outside Activision HQ screwing up wads of cash and throwing them at the employees.

People say Activision are an "evil" corporation doing what they can to take peoples money.

I have to call bullshit.

I believe Activision have just found a way to leech money off the most gullible set of people ever.

Activision are doing what anyone here would do given that opportunity. If you say you wouldn't then we can safely say you won't ever be running a business of that size.

It's not Activision thats at fault. If gullible moro .... er ... consumers ... yes, consumers ... are going to pay for the shit that gets shovelled to them then I think Activision deserves a salute for finding these muppe ... er ... lovely people.

Wow... Just wow.

The words escape me. Seriously this is so mindbogglingly wrong that there literally are no words I can make to properly express it.

I think I will try to make a series of grunts and see if that works.....

lwjkfowkljfokjldsf ljsdlkjs iopr plsvklkfwruilvjkslv

AmaterasuGrim:
The hardened comes with elite sub right whats stopping people from buying multi copies of hardened and keeping the code returning it even buying two you could return one with a used code...

How about the retailer's ability to invalidate game codes?

OT: Ridiculous idea. Hope to see it crash and burn like the bollox it is.

I guess if you're really into CoD, that's not a terrible deal. It's considerably cheaper than WoW (yeah, WoW has a ton more content, but if people find something about CoD worth playing for years and years, more power to them).

Aaaand using yahoo finance's exchange calculator...that's 31.

Yes, they're asking 9 shy of the price of an annual xbox live gold subscription for what is essentially everything Bungie.net does for free plus early access to over expensive map packs (yes I bought all the black ops ones, but the zombie maps make it worthwhile) and some glorified youtube montages.

It will make me verrry sad if a significant amount of people pay for this. Which they will. *sigh*

i love how you people are going "OMG 31 POUNDS for a year" Yet for a full year sub to WoW is around 5 pound a month which = 50 POUNDS....

Bungie pro = cod elite = battelog
Price= 8 + 50 + 0

HMM i think based on the complicated maths above that that's a rip off of epic proportions
first i thought activation was being stupid with 15 dollar maps but now it seems that the stupid people were fired for total Retards

BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

50$ for stuff that others comapnies do for free? so what if they give you free DLCs it's still not worth the money,activision never changes.

Scrustle:
If you pay us a yearly subscription you can pay us for map packs before everyone else!

This is a great summary of my thoughts on this new shtick. Except that it's not a shtick, and if the early numbers suggest anything, it is that this might be massively popular and more publishers adopting this model.

Sonicron:
... "Hardened Edition"?
That's just wrong on sooooo many levels, and made worse by the fact that parents will shell out cash so their kids can enjoy the Hardened goodness too!

They could have called it the "Veteran Edition" or the "Warrior Edition" for the same effect but minus the innuendo. I wish I was at the marketing meeting when someone suggested to go with the "hardened" edition just to troll their fans.

fare777:
i love how you people are going "OMG 31 POUNDS for a year" Yet for a full year sub to WoW is around 5 pound a month which = 50 POUNDS....

that's access to a massive online game this is access to stats you have already have access to this should be 5 dollars a year tops and to top it off wow is real value for money you can never finish it you can only check you stats for a few minutes every day before you know them all

fare777:

Call of Duty ISN'T the world's largest MMORPG, does not require constant server maintenance/costs/whatever or constant updates. Not only that, but charging 50 dollars a year for things many games already offer for FREE?

It's flat out ridiculous.

Each article I've seen about Elite does not mention anything about Activision run servers. Is it safe to assume that the game will continue with hosts (AKA The Guy who can't be killed due to hosting)? I'd gladly pay this amount with a giant smile on my face if they just added servers run by Activision into the mix.

Davih:
So they want $50 for you to be able to give them $15 earlier than other people will? Sorry what? Am I missing the point completely?

You get the DLC free....

Thats some serious bullshit there activision. I'd buy the Hardened edition if it was around $80, but $100 is absurd. And I am NOT paying $50 for map packs that were probably taken out of the game to sell for extra.

Considering that this nets you every piece of DLC, it's not SO bad... It kinda sucks that you can't purchase monthly installments of the service. Still, $49.99 is a lot of money for what's essentially an overpriced pre-order for the already overpriced MW3 map packs, something that could be better spent on say... another game.

That being said, this makes the Hardened version a definite buy for me when I inevitably get the cash.

What a steal! Now I can get maps I play once earlier! You are far too kind, Activision.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here