Activision Prices Call of Duty Elite

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Korten12:

Davih:
So they want $50 for you to be able to give them $15 earlier than other people will? Sorry what? Am I missing the point completely?

You get the DLC free....

Even so it requires 4 map packs a year to be a viable choice IMO.

I just don't like the brazen cockyness of COD now.

side question is it early access to dlc or the dlc itself. Who pays 50 bucks for access to 15 dollar map packs?

Save your money for steam developer packs, you can buy like 20 games for 70 bucks.

I don't think mw3 even has the standard 10% off retail price for prebuying on steam atm.

I'd say vote with your wallets, but I find to many CoD people don't care to vote, or are chipping in their opinion with mommies gold card.

Its like when people voted to cap damages on civil lawsuits, after that woman burned herself to the bone with mcdonalds coffee, had to get skin graphs, and had to sue them for a couple mil to take care of medical bills and assisted living.

People fell into the advertising of "Jack pot justice" and frivoulus lawsuits, so now if a company wrecks your shit you get like 20k and they walk off scott free.

So let me get this straight. Not only do you have to pay for stat tracking and other things but you also have to pay for map packs which are outrageously priced anyways? Fuck that shit.

AndyFromMonday:
So let me get this straight. Not only do you have to pay for stat tracking and other things but you also have to pay for map packs which are outrageously priced anyways? Fuck that shit.

That's not straight at all. Had you read the article, you would have seen this part:

The service will also include previously-detailed free functionality like custom leaderboards, detailed stats, Facebook integration and apps for iOS and Android that allow players to customize their online loadouts.

And as far as paying for early access to map packs;

Yes. The annual subscription to Call of Duty Elite is an all-inclusive membership, and that means you get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 downloadable content, including all of the MW3 map packs and more as part of your premium membership. No need to buy additional DLC.

Source

If you people have to hate something, at least try to be logical about it.
Oh, who am I kidding? It's CoD hate.

OT: Honestly, with the plan to release 2-3 DLCs per month for Elite users, the Hardened edition might just be the way to go. After a few months, it'll have paid for itself.

Who in their right mind would pay for this? It sounds like such a huge scam.

Laggyteabag:
$50 a year, aka $50 per game

That's just what I was thinking. If a new CoD comes out around every year why would you need Elite for MW2 for more than that time? I understand if you don't buy every single CoD right when it comes out but I would guess the people who get the Elite service are the ones who buy every game.

Unless the service carries over from game to game, they shouldn't need a yearly subscription rate.

Well, the people who are buying this will already be used to wasting $50 bucks a year.

It's called Call of Duty Elite, so I'm pretty certain that it will apply to most if not all upcoming COD games. However, will this apply to both Infinity Ward and Treyarch's games? Kind of strange, considering the interfranchise rivalry and all the crap that started it.

ITT: People with different tastes in gaming calling others moron for having aforementioned different tastes.

For srs guys, I'm not a huge fan of Call of Duty or how Activision does business, but what the fuck guys. Stop being giant assholes just cuz' you don't like some of the community and you don't think this is a good deal for you.

Why would you even bother?

Activision Custumer Support: good morning how may i help u today

Me: i wanted to inquire about COD Elite. i see here that if i PAY for the service i get FREE map packs and other stuff offered for free by other games. is that correct?

Activision CS: yes that is correct sir.

Me: do u see the problem with having PAY and FREE in the same sentence?

Activision CS: yes i do sir but it makes sense if u dont think about it.

Me: ahhhh i get it now. well thanks for all your help bye.

Activision CS: Im glad i could help u today.

Ridley Scott? As in, Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator Ridley Scott? I kind of want to cry.

The_root_of_all_evil:

B/c you get all the DLC free forver (and they even said Elites get multiple DLC a month so it pays for it self.

Davih:

Even so it requires 4 map packs a year to be a viable choice IMO.

As I said above.

XT inc:
I just don't like the brazen cockyness of COD now.

side question is it early access to dlc or the dlc itself. Who pays 50 bucks for access to 15 dollar map packs?

No, you pay 50 to get all the DLC ever for free and you keep it for free even if you unsub.

Save your money for steam developer packs, you can buy like 20 games for 70 bucks.

I don't think mw3 even has the standard 10% off retail price for prebuying on steam atm.

I'd say vote with your wallets, but I find to many CoD people don't care to vote, or are chipping in their opinion with mommies gold card.

What sterotyping. Also so what if they buy this? I mean really? It's there money, not yours. Also if they ENJOY (yeah it's possible) COD, it's all fine b/c they get there money's worth.

Its like when people voted to cap damages on civil lawsuits, after that woman burned herself to the bone with mcdonalds coffee, had to get skin graphs, and had to sue them for a couple mil to take care of medical bills and assisted living.

People fell into the advertising of "Jack pot justice" and frivoulus lawsuits, so now if a company wrecks your shit you get like 20k and they walk off scott free.

Not even going to bother responding to this one.

The_root_of_all_evil:

That picture just summed everything up for me.

None of that even justifies $50, and stat tracking? You have to pay for that shit for COD now?

Fuck.

That.

Shit.

fare777:
i love how you people are going "OMG 31 POUNDS for a year" Yet for a full year sub to WoW is around 5 pound a month which = 50 POUNDS....

The little difference: You don't pay fullprize for a WoW contentpatch. And MW3 is even less of that.

So how does this cost $50 when bungie's equivalent is absolutely free and as far as i can see does the exact same thing ?

Korten12:

The_root_of_all_evil:

B/c you get all the DLC free forver (and they even said Elites get multiple DLC a month so it pays for it self.

For ALL CoD Games?

And I get that, and Beta access, on TF2 for free.

Are you seriously defending Activision doing this given

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101503-Kotick-Wants-Call-of-Duty-Subscriptions-Tomorrow

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102189-No-Subscriptions-for-Call-of-Duty-Multiplayer-Says-Activision

and

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105602-Activision-Adamant-it-Will-Never-Charge-for-Call-of-Duty-Multiplayer

Really? Are you perfectly sure that you are happy to give Activision money for stuff that everyone else gives out free?

Even if you adore CoD, you are still paying $110 for a years worth of gaming.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Everquest 2 could cover that entire Multiplayer experience - including keeping your clan together - without any of the hatespeech - for Free.

You are laying down the defence for Activision to keep charging whatever they like, to ignore any potential reviewers - like Yahtzee - because all the Elites will be defending their map choices - and producing a group of people who are paying to spawncamp.

You're specifically defending the idea that it's perfectly acceptable to charge players based on their need, rather than the quality of your game?

Are you REALLY sure that all that is worth $50 a year ON TOP OF the price?

I've already pre-ordered the hardened edition, for the Elite service and DLC, which for about £70 is a good deal. I know I will play MW3 a fair bit, so I will definitely get my moneys worth.

A fool and his money are soon parted...

And BOY Activision knows how to milk that one

I was gonna say "good luck selling this!" but then the "2 million" part slapped me across the face...

Fusioncode9:
Wait, for that 50$ a year do they get all map packs for free because if they do then I guess that's not a bad deal for those who are really into the game.

No, they get early access to the maps, they don't get them for free. Its like a paid for beta of the maps, they still have to buy them retail when they come out.

Andy Chalk:
Elite will cost $49.99 per year

So they expect Xbox 360 users to pay as much for elite as they do for Xbox live? Granted that this only affects Xbox users, but still.

Andy Chalk:
players will receive early access to all Modern Warfare 3 map packs

I will never like this sort of bullshit. If the only reason the rest gets the map packs at a later date is because Activision wants subscribers of elite to get it first then they aren't actually giving people who pay for elite anything, they merely create the illusion that they do by limiting the content that everyone else gets.

Only giving people who pay for elite access to the content on release while holding back the release date for everyone else for no reason is not a "feature".

Andy Chalk:
the opportunity to enter tournaments and compete for real-world prizes and to watch "pro-commentated match reports and strategy videos."

I thought video game tournaments already existed. As for "pro-commented match reports and strategy videos", well I can't tell if those will be any good or bad so I dunno. I doubt those so called "strategy videos" will contain anything that you can't find for free though.

Andy Chalk:
Elite TV, with videos like "Noob Tube," narrated by Arrested Development stars Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, and the live-action series "Friday Night Fights," produced by Hollywood heavyweights Ridley and Tony Scott, which will feature "real-life rivals getting together in multiplayer to battle it out COD style."

Now this is just silly......

I am not saying its "bad" per see, just that's silly.

Andy Chalk:
custom leaderboards, detailed stats, Facebook integration and apps for iOS and Android that allow players to customize their online loadouts.

I play for fun so I don't give a damn about leaderboards. Nor do I really care about stats. I care even less for facebook. But bah, I guess there are lots of people who do care.

Andy Chalk:
I can't for the life of me imagine how videos narrated by a couple of sitcom stars qualify as a major selling point

Because Activision's ambitions to run CoD into the ground have gotten so ridiculous that it is coming close to reaching comical levels.

I laughed. Seriously, that seems like a waste of money. It just seems so stupid. I get some shows done by people I don't even know, some kind of "Fight Night" to watch people play Call of Duty (Instead of playing Call of Duty myself), some apps I won't use for my phone, the ability to customize my loadout online, which, you know, is in the game anyway and some stats and leader boards that I won't even look at. Wow, thanks Activision. You're basically trying to charge people twice for the same game every year.

I'll pass. I think my money would be better spent on my cell phone bill, or, you know, burning it.

Irony is Strong in this thread.

Whiny little children crying that CoD Players have no lives and are mindless sheep, when in fact they are having fun and everyone here is wasting their time bitching about other people.

What I want to know is this:

Why the hell does it matter to ANY of you? Let the CoD players spend their money. Does it truly matter at all?

Also, don't pull the "COD IS RUINING SHOOTERS!" The SAME thing happened with RTS back in the 90s. With RPGs back in the 80s. Shit happens, get over it.

Hardcore_gamer:

Andy Chalk:
Elite will cost $49.99 per year

So they expect Xbox 360 users to pay as much for elite as they do for Xbox live? Granted that this only affects Xbox users, but still.

Andy Chalk:
players will receive early access to all Modern Warfare 3 map packs

I will never like this sort of bullshit. If the only reason the rest gets the map packs at a later date is because Activision wants subscribers of elite to get it first then they aren't actually giving people who pay for elite anything, they merely create the illusion that they do by limiting the content that everyone else gets.

Only giving people who pay for elite access to the content on release while holding back the release date for everyone else for no reason is not a "feature".

Andy Chalk:
the opportunity to enter tournaments and compete for real-world prizes and to watch "pro-commentated match reports and strategy videos."

I thought video game tournaments already existed. As for "pro-commented match reports and strategy videos", well I can't tell if those will be any good or bad so I dunno. I doubt those so called "strategy videos" will contain anything that you can't find for free though.

Andy Chalk:
Elite TV, with videos like "Noob Tube," narrated by Arrested Development stars Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, and the live-action series "Friday Night Fights," produced by Hollywood heavyweights Ridley and Tony Scott, which will feature "real-life rivals getting together in multiplayer to battle it out COD style."

Now this is just silly......

I am not saying its "bad" per see, just that's silly.

Andy Chalk:
custom leaderboards, detailed stats, Facebook integration and apps for iOS and Android that allow players to customize their online loadouts.

I play for fun so I don't give a damn about leaderboards. Nor do I really care about stats. I care even less for facebook. But bah, I guess there are lots of people who do care.

Andy Chalk:
I can't for the life of me imagine how videos narrated by a couple of sitcom stars qualify as a major selling point

Because Activision's ambitions to run CoD into the ground have gotten so ridiculous that it is coming close to reaching comical levels.

Question, why does it matter to you if someone wants to "Waste" their money? Does it affect you, personally - be it Physically or Mentally if someone wants to pay for this? Trick Question - it doesn't. Let it be and let the CoD Fanboys pay for it.

Soviet Heavy:

Fusioncode9:
Wait, for that 50$ a year do they get all map packs for free because if they do then I guess that's not a bad deal for those who are really into the game.

No, they get early access to the maps, they don't get them for free. Its like a paid for beta of the maps, they still have to buy them retail when they come out.

You get all DLC free and early, please read up on your facts before blindly hating.

Lacsapix:
for 50$ a year plus a 60$ buying price I expect a great MMO with really good servers.
not a stat tracking system for a game that uses the host&join system.
Activision isn't paying for anything to keep the game up (bug fixing and game servers)
Activision just keeps spamming 15$ DLC's for a few map packs
and now they want another 50$ A YEAR????
thats going to be around 200$ a year for a 100% CoD experience.
nope I am not getting that.

Oh you forgot to add in that players who play on Xbox have to fork over money to play online that ranged from £15 to £40 also so that's around £240!.

Seems worth it to me if I never have to pay for the map packs again. Also I laugh at all the people that are bashing this. Don't like it, don't buy it. I mean you guys most likely aren't already buying CoD so what do you care?

C95J:

Soviet Heavy:

Fusioncode9:

You get all DLC free and early, please read up on your facts before blindly hating.

I'm sorry, "blindly hating" would be me screaming, "these fucking assholes are charging me fifty bucks for a bunch of stupid overpriced map packs because they are evil corporate bastards."

I made a mistake, okay? Don't put words in my mouth.

Despite my own negligence, and the fact that I haven't played a CoD game since 4, I can see the appeal. CoD has a LOT of hardcore CoD-gamers that would sell their soul for this.

This is insane. People will pay anything for anything marketed as "premium". What are they going to sell to the masses next? Oxygen? Oh wait..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_bar

Double post. Sorry.

It's like DICE's Battlelog thing, except it costs $49.99 more!

PURE INNOVATION

The_root_of_all_evil:

Korten12:

The_root_of_all_evil:

For ALL CoD Games?

And I get that, and Beta access, on TF2 for free.

Are you seriously defending Activision doing this given

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101503-Kotick-Wants-Call-of-Duty-Subscriptions-Tomorrow

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102189-No-Subscriptions-for-Call-of-Duty-Multiplayer-Says-Activision

and

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105602-Activision-Adamant-it-Will-Never-Charge-for-Call-of-Duty-Multiplayer

Really? Are you perfectly sure that you are happy to give Activision money for stuff that everyone else gives out free?

Even if you adore CoD, you are still paying $110 for a years worth of gaming.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Everquest 2 could cover that entire Multiplayer experience - including keeping your clan together - without any of the hatespeech - for Free.

You are laying down the defence for Activision to keep charging whatever they like, to ignore any potential reviewers - like Yahtzee - because all the Elites will be defending their map choices - and producing a group of people who are paying to spawncamp.

You're specifically defending the idea that it's perfectly acceptable to charge players based on their need, rather than the quality of your game?

Are you REALLY sure that all that is worth $50 a year ON TOP OF the price?

First of all: Calm down.

2. Everyone gives out for free..? What? Last time I checked almost all DLC, besdies Valve, isn't free. Also I am not sure it's all the COD's (I know you get Black Ops free) but I think everything up from BLOPs for free but I can't confirm this.

3. So you pay $110 for a year... Thats about $10 less then buying two games. So a person who only plays COD, will get there money's worth. Since they get all the DLC free and such, it will pay for it self. Whether or not the DLC is actually worth $15 (I think it should be lowered to like $7) is all up to how much that person's time they will be playing that DLC.

3. Those are MMO's of the F2P genre, completely different to this. None that you mentioned are a FPS. I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really work.

4. Yahtzee's reviews for the most part are for fun, not really a review.

5. A group for Spawn Campers? They already do that on forums I bet so no difference where it is.

6. You don't need to buy it. Last time I checked, you can buy MW3, never buy the DLC or Elite and can still perfectly enjoy the game.

Soviet Heavy:

C95J:

Soviet Heavy:

I'm sorry, "blindly hating" would be me screaming, "these fucking assholes are charging me fifty bucks for a bunch of stupid overpriced map packs because they are evil corporate bastards."

I made a mistake, okay? Don't put words in my mouth.

Okay, sorry. But by "blindly hating" all I meant was making assumptions, and hating without actually knowing or not.
Also, I didn't put words into your mouth. At all.

Soviet Heavy:

Fusioncode9:

No, the elite subscribers get the maps.
Seriously 90% of the replies in this news are utter garbage. Oh look COD HATE HATE HATE.
Seriously there is a freaking list of what is included with the free copy and what is included with the elite service and yet people still spout the same nonsense.
OMG Halo and BF3 are offering the same service for FREE WTF!!!1!
Yea CoD is offering that exact same stuff for free too.
Seriously, I'm at the point of raging at the absolute ignorance that people will spout.
People on the escapist claim they are the crème de la crème of in the internet/gaming....right...

Seriously wise up people, but I know that won't happen.

Seriously, if you plan on buying all 4 DLCs for MW3, you'd be a complete moron not to subscribe to elite for the first year. Last I checked 4x$15 = $60 while this gives you all the DLC to keep for $49.99. So please by all means spend $60 on the map packs, or continue to cry that BF3 is better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here