Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games

Games like Sim City Societies and Flower could be exposing kids to a "liberal agenda," says the news network.

When Fox News takes shots at violent games, or games that feature sexual content, you can almost see where it's coming from, but now - somewhat bafflingly - it's going after games with an environmental message, and questioning whether or not they're as harmless as they appear.

In the Fox & Friends show on Sunday, presenter Clayton Morris and online radio host TJ McCormack discussed environmental games, with Morris raising the question of whether environmentally themed games were really as admirable as they seemed, or if they just promoted a "liberal agenda." Morris and McCormack talked specifically about three games, Sim City Societies, Fate of the World, and McDonald's: The Game - an online game meant as a parody of the actual McDonald's. While neither man mentioned it directly, footage from Flower was also displayed on screen. McCormack's argument was simple: The credibility of the games was dubious because people were making money from them, and that the fear and guilt tactics used in such games were wholly inappropriate for young players.

McCormack singled out Fate of the World, saying that its apocalyptic premise was a heavy burden to place on the shoulders of a five year old, a comment that seemingly ignored the fact that the game isn't intended for children. McCormack suggested that some of the lessons - such as saying that solar and wind energy were cleaner that nuclear power - were actually wrong. Morris added that parents didn't really know what was in the games, and so could be putting material that they didn't agree with in front of their kids without realizing it.

As usual, Fox News made a token effort to appear objective by obtaining a quote from Fate of the World's lead designer Ian Roberts, who argued that games that dealt with real world issues were important. But with the bulk of the segment given over to McCormack's uninformed rhetoric, Fox News might as well not have bothered.

Debating environmental issues really isn't in my remit, but I'm actually stunned at Fox News right now. Whatever your political point of view, teaching kids to be aware of the impact their actions have on the environment is a good idea. It's also depressing, and more than a little frustrating, that McCormack is twisting the ignorance of parents and making it out to be the developers fault.

If you want to watch the segment for yourself, you can do so here.

Source: Gamertag Radio

Really? Really? Are Fox news just extremist conservative idiots just for the sake of being extremist conservative idiots?

With the risk of repeating myself, I have this bookmarked for occasions like this:

Dear Fox,

Best wishes,
//All of us who value common sense and critical thinking

That's it, they are officially idiots.

Fox says something stupid, no one surprised.

We could just do away with these articles and just show 'FOX IS FUCKING STUPID' every now and again, it would save a lot of effort that, frankly, Fox isn't worth.

O_O

Now, like many I'm no fan of FoX News, but this must be the single most ludicrous thing they have ever reported on.

Fox Is now officialy agains games in wich you shoot stuff AND games in wich you don't.

Of all the... I mean, of ALL the games that have been out and are coming out, they pick THESE to rag on?

man they are stupider than argentinian national news networks

and they got fucking tricked into believing that Grogg is a real drink

I'm speechless.... I hope fox goes bankrupt.

Seriously, is there anything about games that they don't attack or think is a moral threat?

'We are outraged that games have the audacity to have environmental messages'?

Now I disagree with a lot of environmentalist arguements and opinions but I would still argue that they're allowed to hold and express their opinions and beliefs (of course providing said expression doesn't step into the realms of misinformation or manipulation but that is a completely unrealted issue), so Fox taking this stance goes beyond stupid and closed minded in my opinion.

You know what, I think I can be okay with this. At least they aren't up there screaming for the banning of games. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go google this Fate of the World game, it sound rather interesting.

I'm glad i'm not American, having to actually put up with something like that on TV would be horrible :/

When I first heard about this, I was annoyed. But then I thought to my self "hasn't Dead Island, Space Marine and Resistance 3 just been released... and they are raging at eco-games?"

Oh Fox you're so silly!

REcaptcha: mmittex fresh (if only)

teh_Canape:

Grog is a real drink. theres many different drinks it means, but one of the earliest is rum spiked with lime juice and watered down. Old British sailor rum ration. (and part of where they got the name Limey from.) The name refers to the awful taste of limed and watered rum, so a sailor would make a disgusted sound while having to drink it.

What is funny is that Fox is behaving as cartoonishly as those strawman villains on captain planet.

Congratulations! Your news network "Fox" leveled up!

+10 HP
+9042 stupid

Now I shall go look at these games and see if they are any good. Well done Fox!

Flower. Really.

But hey, when want to see real news I watch Onion.

Kiraxa:

teh_Canape:

Grog is a real drink. theres many different drinks it means, but one of the earliest is rum spiked with lime juice and watered down. Old British sailor rum ration. (and part of where they got the name Limey from.) The name refers to the awful taste of limed and watered rum, so a sailor would make a disgusted sound while having to drink it.

no, the Monkey Island Grogg, they called it Grogg XD

dont you see?
fox news is trolling us.
the first troll wasnt born on 4chan, fox news is the first troll.
edit: also, i have watched the fox news video, and i agree with them on one thing. sim city societies is boring!

Failure of Understanding. Edit.

I laughed when they didn't realize it's not for kids. First they say all gamers are 20 and live in their parent's basements, and then they say only kids play games. Just pick one and stick with it, we shouldn't care either way, because they'll just say stupid things. It's what they do!

I know this is redundant and everyon'e said it before, but I think ol' Jim Morrison said it best.

You're all a bunch of f*%king idiots.

Yeah, well... it's Fox.

Not much more to say. Once Fox News is involved, stupidity is guaranteed to ensue.

This is, quite possibly, the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard in my entire life. And that's saying something. I mean my sister said, during our second day at the beach, "Man there is sand everywhere". THIS BEATS THAT!

I think I'm gonna piss myself from laughing so hard.

They can't possibly be THIS stupid, right?

...right?

Does Tetris have a Communist agenda? If so then I might as well paint myself red and streak through Red Square. If only Fox had used their expert researchers to find out then I wouldn't be in such a pickle. I'll book a flight to Moscow just in case.

This is perhaps the stupidest fucking argument against video games ever. I mean, ever. Like, out of all of them. And there are a lot.

Shit, I can at least see why someone would think that a violent bloody video game might make a kid more violent, but this? What the hell? Really, how? It pushes something they don't agree with, so they condemn it as unfit for children?

I didn't even think Fox News was this stupid. Guess I thought wrong.

rembrandtqeinstein:
What is funny is that Fox is behaving as cartoonishly as those strawman villains on captain planet.

I couldn't put it better my self.

But really they attack Flower? FLOWER?! Its like the mores family friendly game out there, I just wish fox will just disappear.

FOX: No one is talking about us and we hits for sweeps! Quick! Make a report talking shit about another game and we'll make up the low week with rage hits! Those heathen gamers fall for it every time.

I think it's a bit amazing that Fox have achieved one feat. The feat in question is that whenever I see the word Fox have an opinion I instantly disregard it as idiotic. I am happy to listen to all opinions and will defend you right to have hat opinion(within reason of course) but whenever I see Fox I just know that whatever comes out of their mouth will be hate mongering garbage.

There is nothing wrong with Environment based games. They are at most trying to raise environmental awareness and that is all. Not trying to be political or trying to hurt anyone. Just making a fun game with an environmental message. Also focusing on how they say it's too much for 5 year old children, that is nonsense. Many kids these days are playing games outside their age range(I happen to know someone in a class my Mum helps in, plays GTA4 and he can't be more than 8). If it wasn't suitable for 5 year olds it wouldn't be rated for 5 year olds(which it isn't) and therefore the parents shouldn't let their 5 year olds play them.

I hate Fox news.

On today's news, breading, it keeps you alive by burning oxygen into energy. But do we really need it? Find out what the government isn't telling you and how it can be hazardous to your children, from our expert special guest, Man we found on the corner with large sign around neck raving like a lunatic. Only on Fox News, where we'll never let the truth, logic, reason or reality get in the way of a good story.

Iron Mal:
Seriously, is there anything about games that they don't attack or think is a moral threat?

'We are outraged that games have the audacity to have environmental messages'?

Now I disagree with a lot of environmentalist arguements and opinions but I would still argue that they're allowed to hold and express their opinions and beliefs (of course providing said expression doesn't step into the realms of misinformation or manipulation but that is a completely unrealted issue), so Fox taking this stance goes beyond stupid and closed minded in my opinion.

You've pretty much summed up the situation perfectly. The FOX News channel really needs to cut the propaganda. That's not to say that all FOX channels are completely terrible, I find that certain shows on FOX Business like Stossel and Freedom Watch actually try to develop a dialogue (or in the case of Freedom Watch, have an actual judge explain the Constitution). That's also not to say that other people, such as MSNBC's Cenk Uygar, don't misinform to support their own opinion, but this is a form of institutionalized propaganda. FOX News fails to provide any kind of logic or rationality to their arguments, most of their 'opinions' are pre-determined. Hell, I don't even blame the producers of the show, there's been reports that the higher-ups write memos to the news room telling them what their opinion on a subject is going to be.

Give them a break! Gaming hasn't had any controversial events for a long time and Fox is just trying to find something to complain about, making them relevant in the eyes of dumb people again.

Does anyone really watch Fox news nowadays anyway?

Fucking hell Fox News... you hate GTA because apparently kids will all become murderers and next you hate on the friendly games that encourage you to be nice?

BREAKING NEWS: Monopoly makes kids more ruthless property developers and Scrabble is un-American because "Quran" scores better than "Bible".

Fox news makes it seem, to the eyes of a non-US citizen, that the US is officially without any real problems worth discussing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here