Steam User Finds Misogynistic "Joke" Buried in Dead Island Code [UPDATED]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

maninahat:

jmarquiso:

Assassin Xaero:
I bet if it said something against men on a male character, like "pig", nobody would say a thing about it being bad.

I'm sure if it said ChauvanistPigStomp it would definitely get some people in arms. Not as many, but some people.

I'm a feminist, and I would.

I don't. "Chauvenist" is often treated like a compliment to some guys. Makes them think they are James Bond, the "Chauvenistic, mysogynistic dinosaur; a relic from the cold war". As long as they don't literally say "get back in the kitchen" and grab a womans tits, Chauvenists tend to get treated fairly well in media portrayals. Far more so than feminists. Perhaps I should be more bothered that a game has an upgrade that makes it easier for women to murder men? Nah, Fallout beat it too the punch.

I was trying to find an equivalent to FeministWhore. ChauvinistPig is a general insult hurled at males. I'd say that Feminist is treated as a compliment and insult by females as well (as the latter are generally only aware of more extreme feminism).

EDIT: I've never heard Chauvinist as anything but a bad thing, so I don't quite understand who takes it as a compliment other than, well, chauvinists.

jmarquiso:
I only know of two amateur penectomies in the last 30 years, but I don't spend too much time on it. Only one can I kind of recall the names involved.

Neither one was a "feminist" act, but at least one was possibly defendible from being in a bad situation (I don't think it's completely mitigating). There is something to be said for people in abusive situations not being able to fight back until its expressed in the ways above.

Yeah, there have only been two that have gotten a lot of coverage... I probably phrased it a little iffy, apologizes. Anyways, just imagine what would happen if you reversed the gender roles in those cases. Hypothetically, imagine a very abusive woman in a relationship, and the man strikes out in retaliation against her in some horrific crime. Odds say it would the man who would be demonized despite the domestic abuse he suffered. Even if the woman's actions made what the man did "possibly defensible," it probably wouldn't matter much, would it? Without a doubt you wouldn't see people cracking jokes about it, thinking it was funny, or praising the actions of the man for standing up. This has all gotten rather... grim for what was one a discussion about a moronic joke, but the whole dichotomy between misogyny and misandry in society is very pronounced.

Lighthearted, silly things like this thread really just go to highlight this problem in a less... dark way. The fact that a misogynistic joke is considered horribly offensive, but a misandristic joke in the same context might be funny just highlights society's ills, and how far will still need to "progress". Perhaps someday men will be able to make misogynistic jokes without fear of being called a sexist, and then women can make misandristic jokes in the same vein without idiots like me pointing out some double standard.

Well, that's... interesting. Does the Dead Island team have any female programmers?

Stall:
Anyways, just imagine what would happen if you reversed the gender roles in those cases. Hypothetically, imagine a very abusive woman in a relationship, and the man strikes out in retaliation against her in some horrific crime. Odds say it would the man who would be demonized despite the domestic abuse he suffered. Even if the woman's actions made what the man did "possibly defensible," it probably wouldn't matter much, would it? Without a doubt you wouldn't see people cracking jokes about it, thinking it was funny, or praising the actions of the man for standing up.

What about all the jokes made after Heather Mills claimed Paul McCartney abused her? Admittedly, that might be atypical, celebrities being allowed to abuse women if they are popular, or be abused if they are not (and/or are amputees).

Feminists are horrible creatures anyway. And just to show that I'm not chauvinistic. It will make you happy to know that I freaking hate chauvinists as well.

General equality is the way forward.

Funny? Yes! In good taste? No. A misogynistic attitude towards women? No. Immature? Yes.

Big deal, radical feminism has already affected the world enough, women who rapes and mutilate men are considered heroes, so random feminism hate is only healthy.

There are probably variables named wacky crap in nearly every program you use.
I once worked at a company that used a monitor named "nessMonster" so you could Lock(nessMonster);

This was high profile software, even in use by the Indian Navy.

Another instance, the company I work for now creates laboratory integration software, and we have some strange variables in use. My favourite is probably "the_sizzler". I don't even know what it does.

That's funny, but I fail to see why it's such a big deal.
Misogynists are everywhere.
Just ignore the dipshits and it will be as if they never existed.

Hang on why are bothered most likely it was a single programer who is one of two things an ass or somebody who had a bad experience with a fem-Nazi (note not feminist) who claims we should have a grand matriarch with all men punt in cages

In both cases it aint newsworthy

AC10:
There are probably variables named wacky crap in nearly every program you use.
I once worked at a company that used a monitor named "nessMonster" so you could Lock(nessMonster);

This was high profile software, even in use by the Indian Navy.

Another instance, the company I work for now creates laboratory integration software, and we have some strange variables in use. My favourite is probably "the_sizzler". I don't even know what it does.

Yeah, I've only taken basic programming classes, and even I know that coding is one of the most soul-crushing things you can do for a living. I can only imagine that this silly little joke was the result of a programmer attempting to mitigate the absolute monotony of his job.

It's a silly, silly thing to get offended about. Laugh at it, don't laugh at it, and move on. It's a simple as that. No need to QQ or demonize the game.

:/ most of those comments really didn't deserve moderation.

And if no-one else is going to say it, I will. If we had a male character who had a skill unlock that allowed him to deal out more damage to female zombies, using the power of his pimp fist or something. No one would have any issue with a programmer writhing 'ChauvinisticDick' somewhere in the code.

This has been blown way out proportion... way out of proportion!

The joke is completely harmless.

Double post
Got damn inclip confuses me

Drejer43:

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight... she has a skill... that does more damage... when she attacks men... and people are complaining about what it's named in the code more than the blatant misandry of that skill?

Seriously, if there was a male character that had a skill to do extra damage against female enemies (it could still be publicly named Gender Wars and privately named, I don't know, MisogynistAsshole or something) and people would, again, flip out on behalf of women.

Lol i didn't think of that, but that is so true.

I honestly get the feeling that this was originally done as some kind of in-joke, you know the "Its funny because its in completely poor taste" kind of joke, because hey its just part of the code and no one will ever see it right? Programmers do that sort of thing all the time, something I can say with authority because I am one (for example I happened across a "The cake is a lie" joke in our code once and I work on a product for determining property tax). Now granted I've never seen anyone leave something someone might consider offensive behind mind you - but I can see someone doing it.

That doesn't make it right - I mean even if it was done in good humor, the general public isn't going to be able to tell the difference, or even necessarily care. So while I can spare a bit of sympathy, I'm still going to have to hand out a massive facepalm.

Come on guys, really?

Stall:

Deathninja19:
I like how people who say this are men and have never experienced personally misogyny and is probably bitter because women won't sleep with him. Grow up man if you acted a little nicer to women maybe, just maybe you will find someone who will not reject you.

As a rather openly irrelgious person in the American Deep South, I can personally testify that I have been discriminated against, and the victim of "hate speech". And you know what? I don't give a shit. When people seriously call me a heathen or tell me I am going to hell, or say things like "Oh, I used to think so much higher of you before I learned you were an atheist/agnostic/whatever," or "I don't know if I can be friends with you anymore," I don't fucking care. They're just words said by people who I have zero concern with. If I can get past people acting like an asshole towards me for my beliefs, then I think women can get past a few misogynistic jokes every here and there.

Are women and feminist so sensitive that a silly joke in a video game is some how deeply offensive to them? Seriously. Stop making mountains out of molehills. Either laugh at the joke, or move on. It's nothing to get so flustered about.

And just because I don't think misogyny is a problem means women won't sleep with me? What kind of fucking logic is that? Oh right. It's not logic.

No what I was saying is that people who think misogyny doesn't exist or is not a big deal often have problems with women themselves, and since you are commenting on a site that mainly deals with video games I am assuming like most of us here you have been rejected or ignored by women from a young age. That period of development can seriously affect your views on gender roles and probably think that women tend to get certain preferred treatments due to men, including you and me, lusting after them and should have no right to complain when a man commits an act of misogyny. I may be wide of the mark but I doubt it.

But what you seem to forget is that misogyny is not just words like your pathetic discrimination about being an atheist or whatever, misogyny leads to physical abuse, lower pay, intimidation and bullying. And as a so called victim of hate speech at the time I bet you thought that it was a big deal I would think that you would have some sympathy for people who have the same experience. But I guess not, it's almost like you're making up the fact you were persecuted, but why would someone do that?

But screw it I'll never change your mind because you'll never experience true discrimination for what you are or what your skin colour is so this is a wasted exercise in futility.

Haven't we already established some people don't like other people?
Instead how about we talk about my +5 minute loading times hmmmm DI?

"Great, another drunkenly named skill that thinks its gods gift, Stupid git!"
At least now we know Who do she voodoo.

Oh man i've been looking for the usal kitchen joke but there is no one to be found
(i'm not a chavunist, i'm just immature.)

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight... she has a skill... that does more damage... when she attacks men... and people are complaining about what it's named in the code more than the blatant misandry of that skill?

Seriously, if there was a male character that had a skill to do extra damage against female enemies (it could still be publicly named Gender Wars and privately named, I don't know, MisogynistAsshole or something) and people would, again, flip out on behalf of women.

Fallout has a Lady Killer perk which no one ever complained about. Recognising that there are different genders is different from insulting one.

OT; Shows how badly characterised Purna is, if even the devs dislike her :/. This was an extremely childish and careless mistake, although it isn't really something to get up in arms about.

How can all these people see Dead Island's code? Is the game open-source (which I doubt) or are they meaning the game's binaries and resources?

I'm amazed by people's reactions to this, it is one case if Purna was a positive example of a feminist, but if anyone actually bothers to listen to her back story she is definitely of the hate men and toss them all to the torch instead of women's equality. Hell she freaking castrated a guy with a gun and plans to murder him.
I mean how does this reflect on all women? It doesn't. The characters of the game are all Romero esque, they are all extreme caricatures with just insane logic and motivation.
Also, both of the female characters in the game were oppressed by men...

Azuaron:

Doubtful. Fallout 3/New Vegas has a perk where you can do more damage to the opposite gender. Nobody seems to give a damn.

jmarquiso:

GonzoGamer:
Wow. That means that somewhere out there, there's an overworked programmer who feels bitter towards women. That's a big surprise. Maybe he's still upset because he had to take his sister to the prom.

This.

Agreed. It was a mistake to let it get released in this state, as stuff like this gets out.

Well, it's just going to get worse. I know that the PC version of this game has received all the WTFs but now that so many consoles have HDDs and wifi, publishers have seemed to throw integrity completely out the window. They don't mind releasing a game that's completely broken as long as they can patch it later. And the sories that have been going around about this game make me wonder if they checked anything at all before sending it out.
The horror of Fallout New Vegas still lives fresh in my mind almost a year later. I couldn't play that game for 15 mins without it crashing on me. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky this game actually works.

Escapist, what are you doing here?

This isn't news. This barely has anything to do with gamers or our culture. You expect us to be shocked? YOU MEAN PEOPLE STILL MAKE FEMINIST JOKES? Impossible. This article is literally the equivilant of some 4 year old laughing and saying "You said whore. I'm telling mommy!"

There are a lot of people in this world. Some with viewpoints different than yours. Some are misogynistic, others just view the idea of misogynmy hilarious. Its just a stupid line of coding, and if you find it offensive in any way, shape, or form than I don't respect you as a human being. There are far better things you could devote your time to than being upset because one person, who you will never meet, said "FemenistWhore". Its more than likely some inside joke, and even if its not. Who. cares.

Escapist - Seriously. Your news feed has gone to shit lately. You're not reporting news anymore, you're reporting fluff stories under the guise of news. Stories like this aren't important. Anonymous is not important (mostly, you're just feeding the trolls on those stories). Don't even get me started on your QQing about the Always On DRM policy either. Its dumb, and the QQing from it doesn't impact a good 90% of the audience. Stories like this, and your philosophy on paying some of your employee's (which, funny too, YOU NEVER COVERED), its getting hard to think of this site as credible. Get your act together.

Azuaron:

Both of the skills you mentioned exist in both Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas. But guess what, nobody cared, because some programmer didn't decide to act like a moron when programming them into the game.

"Feminist", okay, sure, why not, there's nothing wrong with being a feminist.
But "whore"?... Yeah, well done, that's well done...
Wonder how you can be stupid enough to do something like that...

Dead Island just got a lot better.

People who can't take jokes, need more jokes made at their expense.

Where is the sexist joke anyway? All I see is a joke about feminists, a small group of people, not the entire gender.

Assassin Xaero:
I bet if it said something against men on a male character, like "pig", nobody would say a thing about it being bad.

i know right, i mnot hating on women or anything, and i doubt many are offended by this, but the news will bring this up some way or another

e.g. *Woman News Reporter* "A games code has recently been in the news today, after a tasteless employee made a sexist remark in the games programming code, calling the female character a whore"

if it was about a man it would go a little something like this:

"A games code has recently been in the news today after making a funny little joke about a male character calling him a pig"

Am I missing something here? Someone's views that shouldn't have been left in the code was and we're up in arms about it?

I mean, it wasn't even meant to be seen. That's like stumbling on somebody's design notes, seeing a sexist comment and going on about how immoral it is. Who cares, you weren't supposed to see it, butt out. Chances are this is one programmer (who, lets be honest here, probably isn't a hit with the ladies, programmers don't usually get the girl, i should know, i am one) who was a little silly and everyone is overreacting. Again.

Yeah, stupid mistake, but not worth an uproar.

I just think this is blown a little out of proportion. While I appreciate the reporting of it (I personally find it amusing.

Even if it was the whole TEAM'S opinion, it's not reflected in the game, it's not harming anyone - it's a hidden bit of possible discrimination that holds no bearing on public life. Not something worth crying home about.

Robert Ewing:
Feminists are horrible creatures anyway. And just to show that I'm not chauvinistic. It will make you happy to know that I freaking hate chauvinists as well.

Sorry if I'm a bit thick, why are feminists horrible creatures?

Also, and this is a comment to most of the posters here, chauvinism =/= misogyny. If I am a male chauvinist it means I've a zealous support of maledom (is that a word? Probably not) and a zealous hatred of related but different parties such as femaledom. But chauvinism applies to anything, race, sports, gender.

That just sounds like a variable name--a variable that inside the code, and nowhere visible in the game when it is running at run-time. I agree that the name could be insulting to women, but are we really bickering about what a programmer/game-designer names their variables in code that is never seen by non-hackers?

orangeban:

Robert Ewing:

Sorry if I'm a bit thick, why are feminists horrible creatures?

http://evebitfirst.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/a-man-is-a-rape-supporter-if/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUM_Manifesto

Things like this.

The feminists who actually fought for something in the past would probably hate the feminists today.

And this is the reason why you should always clean up your code.
Just take a couple of minutes to take out all the unnecessary whitespaces, breaks, placeholders, sexist jokes, demonic summons and threats against people who always leave the fuckning lab-door open, so everybody can just walk in and steal shit, STEVE.

Voltano:
That just sounds like a variable name--a variable that inside the code, and nowhere visible in the game when it is running at run-time. I agree that the name could be insulting to women, but are we really bickering about what a programmer/game-designer names their variables in code that is never seen by non-hackers?

Yes, we do, because obviously how we name our variables when we are bored, frustrated, annoyed and/or angry is totally an accurate way to judge us as a person.
Which is why I am OBVIOUSLY a demonic cultist and possibly dyslexic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here