Steam User Finds Misogynistic "Joke" Buried in Dead Island Code [UPDATED]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

So what? Yeah, he's a dick if that's really his outlook, but this is hardly an issue. There are dicks everywhere doing much more dickish things than this, people need to stop flipping out over insignificant bullshit.

orangeban:

ShadowsofHope:

orangeban:

But it isn't just sexists. It's dealing with the inherent sexism in society. Here's where it gets kinda radical (but good radical) but here is the inherent sexism in society:
Gender specific clothing Men must wear tuxedo's, women must wear dresses. Enforced by both males and females. This is still sexism though, because it enforces the idea that gender is some massive defining characteristic that overides personal preference.
Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member. Also still sexist. Discipline the soldiers better, they're meant to be professionals
The expectation for men to earn money Many women are the primary pushers of this concept, due to the cultural strength that the nuclear family concept still has in our society.[i] Well actually a lot of this is enforced by men as well. There is a real big stigma that if a men has not done well with his job he has "failed" in his duty. Also, I doubt that many women actually like the fact that men are the primary earners (and therefore women aren't as important in terms of earning) but sorta go along with it because of societal pressures.
Slut-shaming This one is granted.
The expectation for women to care for the family Women are the natural child-bearers/caretakers of the two genders, and therefore have access to maternity leave where males do not. Males are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family outside of the home, whereas females are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family within the home.[i] Again, arbitrarilly splitting the population based on gender, rather than personal preference. Women shouldn't be the natural child-caretakers should be the natural child-caretakers. And men should get paternity leave.
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces Take a look at the above response, ties in closely.[i] Still not right, this should be a case-by-case, individual basis for deciding this.
and more.

OT: ..Really? I don't really consider this much of an issue, considering the fact that someone had to dig into the game's programming code to find it in the first place. Also, seems to fit the actual character's backstory as well.

Mountains out of molehills.

Right, I'm not actually sure if you're disagreeing with me, but I did edit my post on the types of sexism a bit anyway, just in case you were.

I hope I quoted this correctly.

"Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member. Also still sexist. [b]Discipline the soldiers better, they're meant to be professionals"[/b]

What? You think a few months of basic training will override millions of years of evolution? I don't think discipline and training would help. Men are not wired to let a woman bleed to death. We're not designed to sit back in situations like that, especially those brave enough to become a soldier.

Soldiers already deal with enormous amounts of stress and come home with emotional and physical issues they deal with for years. We shouldn't subject our soldiers to the feeling of helplessness while a woman screams in agony while bleeding to death. I'm honestly not sure why you don't understand this. It has nothing to do with sexism. It's reality.

Under what context was the joke made? Parody? Prejudice? Toilet Humor? We may never know.

intheweeds:

Honestly, because all women are feminists. You are confusing feminism with 'crazy-man-hating-extremist'. A real feminist just want to be treated equally at home and work. A real feminist would be angry if it said something horrible about men too.

If all women are feminists than how do you explain women who openly admit that women can't drive or can't do math. Both are obviously untrue yet i've known a lot of women who would admit that, The latter was actually said to me by a woman I met through Mensa. On the flip side, how do you explain women who believe in blatant favouritism for women? Such as jail for men counselling for women who have committed the same crime or free health care coverage for women only? you say they aren't "real feminists" yet if all women are feminists than they simply must not be women.

intheweeds:

"This is to feminism what the Westboro Baptist Church is to Christianity."
Truer words were never spoken.

My problem with this is that The WBC simply does not have the political pull radical feminism does.

jmarquiso:

Incorrect. The actual definition of feminism is that both genders are treated equally. This HASN'T HAPPENED YET, and females are still at a disadvantage.

I would agree we are not treated equally but i will not concede that it is females that have the disadvantage, that is far to situational. In a previous post you pointed out that sexual assault runs both ways, as does domestic violence, yet women in most western societies have a virtual monopoly on this victim-hood, programs to pay for counselling almost exclusively for women, and women have almost exclusive access to domestic violence shelters. In fact in both The USA and Australia DOGS have better access to domestic violence shelters than adult men. There are more shelters exclusively for pets than for adult men in the world. I frequently hear Feminists saying that not being believed is one of the worst things about rape, but i rarely hear that the least likely person to be believed is a man.
Women have better access to health care in western society with shorter wait times in many European countries to programs exclusively for women in the United States and Canada, with everything from free HIV tests to blood pressure tests being for "women only." In fact a man named Raymond Johnson was recently expected to lay down and die because he got breast cancer, he did fight and he did win but this does not change the fact that what he was fighting was someone in governments decision that based on his gender his life was not worth saving, in fact he is not the first man to run into this, the others however chose to lay down when they were told to. Besides the government still only covers "woman's cancers" and mens health issues are still very taboo.
Most western cultured demand a certain percentage of women in companies workforce provided the jobs aren't deemed too dangerous, and women have better access to welfare in most of these countries. They tend to clean up in divorce court. Get to retire earlier with pensions.
From where I sit there are a lot of advantages to being a woman it all depends on when.

To be fair I can't blame this all on feminism, but most of it rather on the lack of a coherent "mens" movement, people willing to speak up about the challenges and needs of men and the discrimination that they face.

Wow, Read the update. I hope he doesn't lose his job over this shit. I hope they just tell him, don't do that again or something like that. This is blown way out of proportion.

orangeban:

Skiisk:
Feminism is just as retarded as chauvinism or any other form of sexism. Taking the piss out of them is more than deserved. Why not cry about something more interesting like the fact that piss-poor games like Dead Island are constantly being made? Or that some people SUPPORT games like these?

Seriously, if you support women's rights or men's rights instead of EQUAL rights you should jump off a bridge. Preferably a high one.

Uh, you know you can support both men and womens rights at the same time? I am both a feminist and a masculinist.

Here's the thing, feminism is meant to be about equality, and for most feminists it is about equality. But the ones everyone care about and the ones that get tossed around the internet are the crazy ones so everyone thinks they are the norm (this is because normal feminists are kinda boring, seeing as pretty much everyone agrees with them.)

Feminism is aobut women's rights. It has nothing to do with equality. You can't only be after women's rights if you want equality. Same thing with chauvinism, except obviously reversed. Women and men are by default different (physically and mentally). The last thing feminists are willing to do is admit this, even though it's been proved time and time again by science. Different, but equal, save for the people (that can be found across the board) who are objectively not equal (IQ, genes, physical prowess etc).

People who want equal rights for both sexes are not feminists or masculinists (chauvinists). They are people with an actual working brain who don't feel the need to be labeled. Or feel the need to follow some stupid line of thinking that goes everything they supposedly stand for.

Feminism is kind of like a religion really: utterly retarded, but still followed by many. Guess humans feel the safest in a group.

Moreover, people should stop being so freakin' sensitive. I joke with my female friends about them belonging in the kitchen and not being able to drive constantly, and they don't take offence, because they aren't feminists (and, thus, retarded). And they deliver an equal amount of sexism back, and I don't take offence, because I'm not a chauvinist.

It's like racism: in a truly open minded world you'd be able to throw jokes about stereotypes around without a care in the world, since people KNOW how stupid these stereotypes are, and thus would be able to laugh at their stupidity. But now, when I say to a women that she should just get back in the kitchen, feminists throw a hissy fit since there's this nagging feel at the back of their head that maybe they indeed DO belong to a kitchen.

Which is unlikely, since I cook better than any female my age +10 years I know of. But women really can't drive, no joke.

MajorDolphin:

orangeban:

ShadowsofHope:

OT: ..Really? I don't really consider this much of an issue, considering the fact that someone had to dig into the game's programming code to find it in the first place. Also, seems to fit the actual character's backstory as well.

Mountains out of molehills.

Right, I'm not actually sure if you're disagreeing with me, but I did edit my post on the types of sexism a bit anyway, just in case you were.

I hope I quoted this correctly.

"Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member. Also still sexist. [b]Discipline the soldiers better, they're meant to be professionals"[/b]

What? You think a few months of basic training will override millions of years of evolution? I don't think discipline and training would help. Men are not wired to let a woman bleed to death. We're not designed to sit back in situations like that, especially those brave enough to become a soldier.

Soldiers already deal with enormous amounts of stress and come home with emotional and physical issues they deal with for years. We shouldn't subject our soldiers to the feeling of helplessness while a woman screams in agony while bleeding to death. I'm honestly not sure why you don't understand this. It has nothing to do with sexism. It's reality.

Here's the thing, I think most (non-soldier) men would be able to stand by as another man bled to death. But we discipline it out of them. If I see a woman in pain my brain doesn't instantly flip into superhero mode, I react rationally and go over and see what's wrong (generally, obviously there are exceptions, and I wouldn't do this if they had a paper cut) but I would do so equally with a man in pain.

Skiisk:

orangeban:

Skiisk:
Feminism is just as retarded as chauvinism or any other form of sexism. Taking the piss out of them is more than deserved. Why not cry about something more interesting like the fact that piss-poor games like Dead Island are constantly being made? Or that some people SUPPORT games like these?

Seriously, if you support women's rights or men's rights instead of EQUAL rights you should jump off a bridge. Preferably a high one.

Uh, you know you can support both men and womens rights at the same time? I am both a feminist and a masculinist.

Here's the thing, feminism is meant to be about equality, and for most feminists it is about equality. But the ones everyone care about and the ones that get tossed around the internet are the crazy ones so everyone thinks they are the norm (this is because normal feminists are kinda boring, seeing as pretty much everyone agrees with them.)

Feminism is aobut women's rights. It has nothing to do with equality. You can't only be after women's rights if you want equality. Same thing with chauvinism, except obviously reversed. Women and men are by default different (physically and mentally). The last thing feminists are willing to do is admit this, even though it's been proved time and time again by science. Different, but equal, save for the people (that can be found across the board) who are objectively not equal (IQ, genes, physical prowess etc).

People who want equal rights for both sexes are not feminists or masculinists (chauvinists). They are people with an actual working brain who don't feel the need to be labeled. Or feel the need to follow some stupid line of thinking that goes everything they supposedly stand for.

Feminism is kind of like a religion really: utterly retarded, but still followed by many. Guess humans feel the safest in a group.

Masculinists are not chauvinists! Here is the dictionary definition of chauvinism.

Chauvinism, in its original and primary meaning, is an exaggerated, bellicose patriotism and a belief in national superiority and glory.[1] By extension it has come to include an extreme and unreasoning partisanship on behalf of any group to which one belongs, especially when the partisanship includes malice and hatred towards rival groups. Jingoism is the British parallel form of this French word, when referring to nation.

If we speak specifically about male chauvinism it still isn't masculism.

A contemporary use of the term in English is in the phrase male chauvinism.[2] Because "chauvinism" is most often heard in this context, it is often mistakenly believed to refer exclusively to "male chauvinism" such as anti-feminism and sexism. It is an eponym of a possibly fictional French soldier Nicolas Chauvin who was credited with many superhuman feats in the late 18th century.

Masculism is the idea that we should work to make men equal to women. Feminism is the idea that we should work to make women equal to women. They do not work in opposition but in co-operation.

Note: I know the idea that both men and women have to be made equal to each other is a bit odd but the fact is there are some things where men are better off, some things where women are better off and some things where they both get the shitty end of the stick.

Hooray, with all this extra kerfuffle, they can get clear of the atrocious abuse of stereotypes elsewhere!

And they get scott free from releasing the damn debug code to the general public.

I mean, it's much more important that someone gets fired for a private joke than a company completely failing to release their product successfully.

And the joke's still there! Have you seen what Puma looks like?

Logan Westbrook:
We've reached out to Techland to see if it has any comment on this discovery and will update when and if we hear anything back.

The Escapist has resources to waste apparently.

Now, I'm wondering how the hell this site is having trouble paying its dues.

orangeban:

Skiisk:

orangeban:

Masculinists are not chauvinists! Here is the dictionary definition of chauvinism.

Chauvinism, in its original and primary meaning, is an exaggerated, bellicose patriotism and a belief in national superiority and glory.[1] By extension it has come to include an extreme and unreasoning partisanship on behalf of any group to which one belongs, especially when the partisanship includes malice and hatred towards rival groups. Jingoism is the British parallel form of this French word, when referring to nation.

A contemporary use of the term in English is in the phrase male chauvinism.[2] Because "chauvinism" is most often heard in this context, it is often mistakenly believed to refer exclusively to "male chauvinism" such as anti-feminism and sexism. It is an eponym of a possibly fictional French soldier Nicolas Chauvin who was credited with many superhuman feats in the late 18th century.

Masculism is the idea that we should work to make men equal to women. Feminism is the idea that we should work to make women equal to women. They do not work in opposition but in co-operation.

Note: I know the idea that both men and women have to be made equal to each other is a bit odd but the fact is there are some things where men are better off, some things where women are better off and some things where they both get the shitty end of the stick.

Thanks for the correction. Still doesn't change the fact that wanting equal rights is different from wanting more rights for men/women, or the fact that someone who just wants equal rights for all has no need to label themselves as feminists/masculinists.

Women and men can't be made IDENTICAL. There are genetical differences between women and men that make it impossible for the average woman to ever be objectively equal to the average man, or the other way around. But the fact that they aren't identical (ie. equal) doesn't mean one is worse than the other.

Something that seems like a concept impossible to comprehend for the hairy feministas who want men to start giving birth. Which is obviously not all feminists, but certainly the ones that you hear about the most. For obvious reasons; they'll sue your ass if you so much as compliment their hat or open a car door for them.

Skiisk:

orangeban:

Skiisk:

Thanks for the correction. Still doesn't change the fact that wanting equal rights is different from wanting more rights for men/women, or the fact that someone who just wants equal rights for all has no need to label themselves as feminists/masculinists.

Women and men can't be made IDENTICAL. There are genetical differences between women and men that make it impossible for the average woman to ever be objectively equal to the average man, or the other way around. But the fact that they aren't identical (ie. equal) doesn't mean one is worse than the other.

Something that seems like a concept impossible to comprehend for the hairy feministas who want men to start giving birth. Which is obviously not all feminists, but certainly the ones that you hear about the most. For obvious reasons; they'll sue your ass if you so much as compliment their hat or open a car door for them.

I don't want women made identical, but I want rid of these idiotic, non-genetic, differences that society imposes. As I said before, gender specific clothing is just one example of this.

Also, I don't want more rights for men and women, but I want the sexism in society broken down, because it does exist. That doesn't involve giving people more rights, it involves educating and showing people these things.

It's a joke. Everyone makes offensive jokes. It wasn't meant to be seen by the public, clearly it is a mistake.

This isn't a big deal. People have better things to be upset about.

I hate Political Correctness Nazis. (Oh wait, did I just say Nazis? Better burn me on a cross. Oh wait, that was incorrect to. Damn.)

Er, sorry, but I just don't think this is that bad. It seems to me like he was referring specifically to feminists, not women in general.

Are we really at the point where insulting a political movement is equivalent to misogyny?

orangeban:

I don't want women made identical, but I want rid of these idiotic, non-genetic, differences that society imposes. As I said before, gender specific clothing is just one example of this.

Also, I don't want more rights for men and women, but I want the sexism in society broken down, because it does exist. That doesn't involve giving people more rights, it involves educating and showing people these things.

Are you kidding? Women have wider hips and, you know, BREASTS, so gender specific clothing is sort of a must. Nobody's forcing you to buy women's clothing if you want to look like a man, but don't expect to get lucky any time soon. I'm not going to wear a skirt to a bar either, even though the extra breeze might certainly feel good in the gentleman's area.

If gender specific clothing is somehow offensive to you, then I don't know what to say. I, too, think that the age old "men wear blue/black, women wear pink/red" is stupid, but it's also something that people started to get over during the 40's, and considering how red is my favorite color and how I usually wear at least something red, I'd say only idiots concern themselves with details like this.

But like I said, due to physical differences, gender specific clothing is just plain easier on us all. The jeans I buy from Dressman (as a physically fit and extremely handsome 23-year old) would not look good on a woman of average physique, trust me.

I believe they made the mistake my professor told me never to do. "Never have inside jokes written out within code. Someone will find it, and always take it out of context. More than likely it could mean your job."

Poor guy. Yeah it was a stupid thing to do, but I'd hate to see someone get fired over a stupid joke.

Great. You just got someone fired because of a joke. Good job internet.

I'll actually say that I've lost some respect from Techland kowtowing to political correctness here.

This is NOT some kind of attack on women in general in any way, shape, or form. If anything it's an insult to Purna who is a fictional character.

Let's be honest, ridiculously militant feminists exist, including ones that are huge hypocrits in terms of their overall behavior. Most reasonable women will generally point to those other women and be quick to say "we're not all like that". What this script is saying is that Purna is one of those, NOT that this is what all women are. It doesn't appear there is anything else attached to the other female player character in the game that would imply any serious misogynism at work here, as much as a point about the intention of that character.

I'll also go so far as to say it's not a bad description of Purna. She does comes accross as a "macho amazon" with a chip on her shoulder from what little I've seen of her. For all of her "Grrrl power" stuff, between her and the other female character she is strutting around in the more attention getting outfit, one designed to pretty much elicit exactly the kind of reaction she otherwise acts like she doesn't want.

I'll also say some guys go for that flavor of "strong women" so it isn't entirely negative and was probably set up that way for a reason. Truthfully I think we've probably all met someone a bit like this.

Personally I think this line of code deserves some well deserved lulz, from both men and women, and to just be let go. Saying Purna is a stereotype falls in the "duh" catagory in a game that was kind of going out of it's way to be stereotypical. Really the only character out of the four protaganists that is a bit on the unique side is Xian Mei, and that's because she's not a lady cop (as some people will say) but because she's a Chinese spy, and a patriotic one at that. Her police backround was simply what she did before she pretty much got dumped into low-end espianage. Granted the game doesn't really follow through on this premise as far as I've seen, but it *IS* not a backround you see in games very when they
are tossed at a western audience. By all accounts she was kind of the local villain before being put into a situation where she's now trying to help people survive.

I think it would've been funnier to call the power "nazi_ultra_feminst_powers, ACTIVATE" in the debug code. Makes more sense... but that might just be me!

This really makes me wanna play Purna now at least.

Mr.Pandah:
Hahaha that's pretty good. What? I can't laugh at this?

I'm kind of following this train of thought. As much as I'm not saying "yup, sexism is A-ok!" I am saying that it can be funny sometimes. Everything can be funny. What's the difference between making a joke about Canada and making a joke about feminists? Just because now suddenly it's not right? That's to say that making fun of Canada is totally fine. Seems like a way to make mountains out of molehills to me.

Maybe the joke was knowingly meant to be stupidly misogyinist? Maybe that's why someone found it funny. Without more context we cannot get our panties in a bunch, peopl...ooops!

Let's all just keep it easy.

Oh, programmers and their variable names. So hard to remember to not name your variables like "fuck_buffers" or "another_goddamn_textbox_33" when you're pissed at some code. I suspect it's something more like that, and was unfortunately never checked by anyone.

good ability but it needed to be called something diffrent

My question is this: Is the character in question a feminist whore? If so it's not offensive, it's accurate. Either way I laughed and hope the employee gets off easy. It's an M rated game anyway, it's not like minors are gonna be digging through the code and seeing harsh language.

Regardless of what I may feel about this incident, I must say that Techland handled it very well. Kudos!

FelixG:
I would actually really laugh if it was a female programer that put this in and she was hating on the fact that Pruna is really just a representative of things that set real feminists back.

And on the fallout 3/NV perks: Its not a realistic comparison. Any character can pick those up as they like or not, where as this is a specific ability built into a pre generated character people are supposed to play as.

Oh and I love the moderation on these forums, make a comment about a general group and you get suspended/warned where as blatant personal attacks go unchecked... Real classy stuff that.

Personal attacks sent to the report que are punished. If you don't see a warning, report it. You'll get more results that way.

I'd laugh so hard if the programmer that did the "joke" was... a woman. :P I mean, I do that too for some of my games and comics, giving them goofy and naughty and inappropriate names for fun... though I have the foresight to NOT keep them in the final product.

oh this brings memories....the things ive named stupidly and jokingly

»johnlookslike_a_asshole»

good times...

poor programmer. getting fired over idiocy and exageration of others.

Logan Westbrook:

I'd imagine - or hope, at least - that this is some really, stupendously, dumb in-joke at Techland, and not indicative of someone's actual attitudes.

Putting aside personal opinions about feminism for a moment, I see statements like this a lot. Statements that boil down to "I hope he's joking". Do you really live in such a cultural bubble that the very idea of someone unironically having anti-feminist attitudes is absurd to you? Ivory tower, much?

I hate when people get offended by stupid things like this... it makes it difficult to have fun with other rational people. I'm sure it WAS a joke and whomever wrote it doesn't think all feminists are whores (or whatever the crazy people are saying it implies). It's not like he wrote a memo describing why all females are horrible beings! It's one line.

And it's not even IN the game! Kinda reminds me of the "hot coffee" fiasco. Ugh... some people make me angry.

Another case of people being overly touchy.

That little bit of insulting goes both ways. The internal script identifier is considered misogynistic, yet the skill itself is perfectly OK. A skill that causes a woman to do extra damage to males is fine, but can you imagine the uproar that would have been caused by a skill that allowed Males to do extra damage to Females?

Ah, the hypocrisy and double standards of our lovely society.

Hertzila:
How is hating feminists equal to hating females? How? Yeah, maybe naming that skill as such wasn't the best idea but how is that hating females?

because people are too stupid to realize that a feminist is someone who thinks women should have essentially the same rights as men, the right wingers have done a very good job of demonizing the word so people think it means man hating women, but it doesnt

the really weird think about the joke is that it says "feministwhore" I mean chances are the feminist thing they are talking about is man hating (despite the fact she doesnt seem to hate men) but a whore is someone who sells themselfs for money as far as I can tell the ones she really hates are rich people so the joke doesnt really make sense

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here