Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Don't worry if you missed Final Fantasy X the first time round, Square Enix is bringing it back for the PS3 and PS Vita.

I'll level with you, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that Square Enix is remaking one of the classic Final Fantasy games from the PlayStation era. The bad news is that it's not the Final Fantasy VII remake that so many people desperately want, it's Final Fantasy X instead.

Of course, it's not really bad news. While it might not have been the cultural phenomenon that was FFVII, Final Fantasy X was - and still is - a good game, even if it did have the slightly scary laughing scene you can see above, and a hero that was the dream of a dead civilization - and no, I'm not making that up. Square Enix hasn't revealed too many details about the remake as yet, except that the game will be available on the PS3 and the upcoming PS Vita.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's going to be similar to the updates we've seen for series like God of War and Prince of Persia, which means updated visuals and maybe a 3D mode thrown in for the PS3. It seems unlikely that Square Enix will tweak very much other than the visuals, but it may yet surprise us.

Soruce: Joystiq

One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

As I've said elsewhere, this reveal of FFX on a portable as well as my PS3, as well as the implication that more PS2 remakes will be possible has 100% sold me on the Vita. Between the PSP compatibility, the fairly strong lineup of launch titles and an HD makeover of Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid, Sony is doing a fantastic job generating excitement for the system.

Swing and a miss!

You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all." Final Fantasy X was a good game, but darn it, I'd take VIII, IX, IV, and VII before X.

I have a mental image of Japanese business men in suits huddled around a boardroom table snickering.

Final Fantasy X was - and still is - a good game

No, no it really wasn't. That said, I did like the idea of an rpg in a sort of tropical setting, so maybe they'll use this remake as a chance to polish out a lot of the piss taking stuff like tedious collection quest, shitty minigames, awful character designs (sans Jet), and the almost unrelenting linearity that only lets up near the end for a bunch of sidequests that have almost no in-game hint as to their existence or how exactly to complete them. And maybe I'll become a sorceress queen that conquers the stars.

An interesting move; can't help but wonder what else they plan to renew.

For someone who hasn't done any research what exactly is the Vita's battery life, or hasn't that been announced yet? If it's anywhere north of an hour and a half playing one of their games...

Inkidu:
Swing and a miss!

You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all." Final Fantasy X was a good game, but darn it, I'd take VIII, IX, IV, and VII before X.

I have a mental image of Japanese business men in suits huddled around a boardroom table snickering.

Pretty sure they're remaking this one because it'd be a whole lot easier to just bump up the resolution and maybe improve the textures than to rebuild a game from scratch like they'd have to do with an SNES or PS game.

Is this a Real Remake or is this a HD up-grade is the question. This might a incentive to go back since i got near the end and stopped playing it.

<Looks at User-Name> Some day [sniff] Some day.

No research but it wa announced as 3-5 hours.

This news makes me so very happy, I was shouting at yes when I saw the article and I am currently resisting the urge to bounce up and down.

*is a very happy fanboy*

I've wanted this for a while now, I would love it if the remake looked like the good graphic cut scenes except all the time (though it will probably be a remake in the style of the God of War HD updates).

Definately getting this when it comes out. Final Fantasy X is still my all-time favourite game!

My favourite game ever and I can't wait for it.

Also, the thing you said about the protagonist in the article is a huge spoiler. I know this game is old but there are many people that will probably not have played this before that will be buying the HD release. So maybe it would be a good idea to put that in spoiler tags or something. Sorry but I just hate stories being spoiled no matter how old the game might be.

megs1120:

Inkidu:
Swing and a miss!

Pretty sure they're remaking this one because it'd be a whole lot easier to just bump up the resolution and maybe improve the textures than to rebuild a game from scratch like they'd have to do with an SNES or PS game.

And if they can have a good laugh at their fan base, why the heck not?

Really it is just a moot point for me I don't own a PS3 or a PSP (whatever they call it now) and I'm probably not going to swing a Vita anytime soon.

So right now it's the principle of Final Fantasy remakery. Really though? PS3 only? Square-Enix, you know you're not tied to Sony's hip anymore, right?

You could easily have replaced the title of this article with "Square Enix Hears Fan's Pleas, Replies By Shouting "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU" From the Rooftops."

Seriously, did anyone ask for a X remake over a VII, VIII, IX, IX, or hell, even VI remake? Excluding Jecht and Auron (whom the game is quick to beat you ove-- I mean, remind you are not the characters the story is about) the cast is absolutely awful. I mean, even John DiMaggio was unable to save BruddaMon-- I mean, Wakka.

On top of by far the worst protagonist of the first ten games, and the only whiny douche capable of going toe to toe with Vaan and Hope and coming out on top, Tidus is the one character I never want to see again unless it's under the boot heel of a superior character.

Oh, and fucking Blitzball. I will never play Blitzball again.

I'll buy it...

Just don't have any Blitzball related trophies. PLEASE.

At least its not X-2.

Yes it IS bad news FFX sucked and its sequel is one of the worst video games I have ever played (and I own all three Burger King games).

One of my favourite all time games (if not my all time favourite overall), definitely considering getting a PS3 (again) for this.

Inkidu:
Swing and a miss!

Love it or not, FFX is one of the most loved entries in the series. No best games on PS2 list has excluded. Though I don't care for it myself, I'm sure it will sell well.

Dammit. They remake my least favorite game in the series. Oh well. Persona 4 already sold the Vita for me.

Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.

It makes sense, all the other FF games have had a revamped/new console release, this was the next in line.

Though a remake of VII would be the highlight of any present console generation, I can see the X remake as he waters" move.another "testing t

Archangel768:

Also, the thing you said about the protagonist in the article is a huge spoiler. I know this game is old but there are many people that will probably not have played this before that will be buying the HD release. So maybe it would be a good idea to put that in spoiler tags or something. Sorry but I just hate stories being spoiled no matter how old the game might be.

It definitely is a spoiler, but I think most people aren't going to understand it and will have forgotten about it by the time they play the game. Still, he shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Archangel768:

Wait really? You serious? Spoiler tags on a game that came out ten years ago? The fate of Tidas is well known gamer cultural knowledge. Even players that have never played it have at least heard of the terrible plot, bad voice acting, and the ending.

I'm in the "FFX lover" category, but even I'm surprised at this. Of all the mainstream Final Fantasy games, excluding XII, X is the one in least need of being remade. You just know that it's because FFX is the easiest one to just update the graphics to. This just screams cash-grab.

Terrible, Square-Enix. Terrible, and fucking lazy.

You'll give this a remake, but won't give FFVI or FFIV from the SNES era, which are far superiors games, a modern upgrade. Way to go SE.

FredTheUndead:

No, no it really wasn't. That said, I did like the idea of an rpg in a sort of tropical setting, so maybe they'll use this remake as a chance to polish out a lot of the piss taking stuff like tedious collection quest, shitty minigames, awful character designs (sans Jet), and the almost unrelenting linearity that only lets up near the end for a bunch of sidequests that have almost no in-game hint as to their existence or how exactly to complete them. And maybe I'll become a sorceress queen that conquers the stars.

With respect, you can't look at a game that received glowing praise from both critics and gamers alike and say, objectively, that the game was bad. It might not have been your cup of tea, certainly, but that by no means makes it a bad game.

I'd rather have that FFVII remake, but FFX was pretty amazing, too. I doubt I'll buy it unless they release more content with it, though. Or remake it as the international edition.

I approve of this. I think I might get the Vita version.

great, take the one that sucks just SLIGHTLY less than the others (that are not 7 and 9) and give THAT one a remake.

sorry but i'm with Spoony, this game blew the first time around.

JeanLuc761:

FredTheUndead:

With respect, you can't look at a game that received glowing praise from both critics and gamers alike and say, objectively, that the game was bad. It might not have been your cup of tea, certainly, but that by no means makes it a bad game.

I can do exactly that because I found almost no parts of the game worthy of praise. It's not as bad as 8, but it's pretty bad.

This is what they're doing instead of kingdom hearts 3? God, what horrible division of labor.

Inkidu:

You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all."

How on earth do you figure that?

Any way you slice it, X follows after VII as the most popular in the series. No, not the one that all the nostalgists say is "so totally better than modern Final Fantasies, because back then it didn't have stupid elements like emotion or a 3rd dimension", I mean in terms of crunching the numbers, X is the second best selling final fantasy game ever. Hell, throw in X-2 and it comes within spitting distance of outselling VII. In terms of fan prescence, it still also has a gigantic following. How could they not?

unacomn:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.

Given the way he screams, its in a pitch only dogs can hear.

I will only be getting this for 2 reasons. Auron and his badass swords and getting a chance to recreate my glorious Bahamut.
Controlling the Aeons was the most fun part of the entire game for me.

So Square Enix really is out of ideas? I'm not against the remake, its a very good game after all. But it seems a tad pointless to me. The graphics aren't even that bad, even for today's standards. I'd rather see them put the resources into making a new, GOOD, ff game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here