Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

While X is great, I'd much prefer VI or IX, honestly. VII was good, but it's really quite overrated; it's really just a retread of VI, with the exact same plot, but not told as well.
I'm just sayin'.

Zetsubou-Sama:

goldendriger:

Zetsubou-Sama:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!

That's the funny thing about opinions, everyone has one.

I personally consider VII to be full of shallow one dimensional characters, cliche ridden script, and full of plot holes, with a ever so slightly heavy handed moral, and I disliked the Materia system, neither fun and easily exploited, where VIII had at least a fun if exploitable system.

Also: I enjoyed the art design, and while the voice acting was grating at moments, the amount of depth and work that went into the script, story, and character arcs outshines most if not all FF's except for VI or Ix.

So yeah, just my opinion.

Do you want to hear me talk about X-2 which I also considered a good game even though it had all the flashy j-pop vibe going on?

Pretty much this - I actually loved X - and somewhat against my better judgement, X-2. Tidus was exceedingly irritating, but actually, that kinda made him more genuine for me, and the central romance (surely the point of the whole game) really struck a chord I liked the sound of. I liked the art style, I LOVED the music (hymns of the fayth especially) and I liked the sphere grid although I was a little young to maximise the game's potential at the time. I would love the chance for another playthrough and it looks like I'm gonna get it =).

Well, crap. Who asked for a X remake over FFVI?!

unacomn:
Do you head that? That's the sound of The Spoony One screaming in horror.

Shouldn't we go help him?

Dead Raen:
YES
YES
YES
YES
YES
This is the greatest news of all time, yes.

No really, best day of my life is quite possibly today.

i think you mean this..

which i will tune in and say i agree also

still...fucking cashing in here a bit don't ya think squeenix? you could've/should've done ff6/7/8/9 before doing 10, even though all your going to do is a hd upgrade

I'd hate to say it... but I would actually prefer FF7 to be remade instead of this crap.

From Spoony, with love.

Ehh... personally I think remakes are bloody stupid. I liked FFX quite alot, but I think if I really wanted to play it again, i'd just fire up my PS2 and do so.

gmaverick019:

i think you mean this..

which i will tune in and say i agree also

still...fucking cashing in here a bit don't ya think squeenix? you could've/should've done ff6/7/8/9 before doing 10, even though all your going to do is a hd upgrade

That is exactly what I mean, my good man.

sephiroth1991:

<Looks at User-Name> Some day [sniff] Some day.

This. I just.. I don't even know what to say. *pats on the back* I hesitate to mention this, but back in the day I used Aeris screen names.

Please don't impale me with a 6 foot long katana. T_T

WTF? Why X? Nobody liked X. At least nobody that matter.

That video is laughing at me.

unacomn:

My thoughts precisely. And honestly, I would understand why.

Well I am kinda excited. I enjoyed FFX when I played it 7ish years ago, so it would be nice to try it again looking all shiny. But I would much rather a full remake than a HD one, and if they're bothering to go to that much effort, it would puzzle me as to why they wouldn't do VII like the fans seem to want. Ah well, I can dream that they'll get to Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3 one day.

Zetsubou-Sama:
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA

That's really all I have to say.

I'm split in two about how to feel about this news.
The inner-child in me is excited remembering all of the fun I had with the original, the incredible story, heart breaking ending (that wasn't ruined because X-2 never happened!!) and the countless hours I spent playing blitz ball. And it also had the most accessable and streamlined yet somehow still incredibly deep turn based combat system ever.

However the now slightly older cynical guy in me can't help but thinking that its still a good game with very decent graphics for a 10 year old game and isn't the first game I'd choose out of their roster to have remade. To go even further he might even point out that Square Enix is so obsessed over graphics and lush environments that it can't remake any of the older FF games because they offered exploration which would require too much detail to remake effectively as opposed to creating incredibly tight linear environments such as X. So they've chosen X which doesn't need to be remade but its the only game they can remake and they are now desperate to re-release a well recieved title because they've run out of fresh ideas and are desperately looking for a way to breath life into this series.

Yay! This is Semi-good news, I very much enjoyed FF10! I wish I kept my PS3 now. *Imagines a HD battle with the Final Aeon*.

To be honest the game lost me at.

A underwater soccer superstar, has to travel far and wide to stop his father, who has turned into a "devil whale", from destroying the world.

When I read the title, I immediately thought of the laugh scene. I was pleased that the vid was included in the OP.

Am I really so rare in that I still have my PS2 version and a machine that can play it? Although X is no where near the top of my list in the series, it was fun for it's time, but unless they add something worthwhile I can't see any reason to pay for a re-release. Technically it was fine and it still holds up. But X is one of those in the series that doesn't have a lot in the replay department.

But, with that said, I'd love to see more companies reprint older stuff in new formats. Those old machines aren't gonna last forever and it is doing stuff like this that gives newer players a chance to try stuff out.

Now go update FF7 damn it.

They need to stop mucking about with this crap and make a god damn AAA Tactics game. The Job system alone is amazing for the customization of your characters. You can have your silly JRPG plot lines that make almost no sense and gender blurring characters that are 85% of the time extremely annoying but if its done in a Tactics game it doesn't matter because it will be epic.

Here is what I think about FFX.

I just broke the disc in half a few days ago and threw it in a microwave. All because I tried to auction it off at a convention and nobody would buy it. I got more entertainment in destroying it completely then i did playing the game.

There is only one good part in the game for me. And that is Auron. Every other character is annoying. I hated the sphere grid. I hated the story. The music even was uninspiring for me. The gameplay was broken if you knew how to do it. Blitzball was one of the worst things I have ever played. The voice acting was annoying. I hated the sheer linearity of the level design

I HATE that game. With a passion. So I am pissed that they decide to remake that instead of FF7.

Catie Caraco:

sephiroth1991:

<Looks at User-Name> Some day [sniff] Some day.

This. I just.. I don't even know what to say. *pats on the back* I hesitate to mention this, but back in the day I used Aeris screen names.

Please don't impale me with a 6 foot long katana. T_T

Your safe because you called yourself Aeris not Aerith.

Zetsubou-Sama:

I disagree. And not because I didn't like FFX, it hade an enjoyable fighting-system, interesting leveling system and alot of other stuff (well, some of the script and voice-acting was terrible).
The problem is that FFX dosen't need a remake. Like, at all.
If I want to play it i can still pick take it out of the ol' shelf and put it into any PS2. Sure one could argue that I could do the same with FFVII, but in all honesty, FFVII has not aged as well as FFX.
FFVII's system would benefit more from changes as well. Haters gonna hate, but FFVII's system is not as great as some people want us to belive.

No desire to ever play this again, it's one of the weaker installments in the series I don't get why they're bothering to rerelease it. And since they are bothering why not go multiplatform and pick up some sales from xbox gamers who I would think are less likely to have played the original.

The characters were almost across the board awful, blitzball was a massive waste of time, the story was mediocre. There was very little about this game that worked the first time round; ironically one positive it had was, for the time, good graphics.

I say this as someone who slogged through the bonus bosses.

Ugh. It sucks being in the minority that didn't really like X. It had good elements, but to me, it was a step in the wrong direction.

IX was a return to form that I so desperately enjoyed after the turn towards pseudo anime ridiculousness that VIII was going for. Little did I realize, that's actually where they were taking the series from that game forward. In retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised -- what with them being a Japanese company and all.

X was pretty much the game that made me decide never to play another FF game.

So far the only indication that I may go back on that is a game that has no plans on coming out any time soon (Versus XIII).

PS: I'd rather see a remake of VI than VII, just for the record. I agree that there is not much to be gained from a VII remake, as much as I love it.

I like FFX, but the only way I'll get behind this remake 100% is if the voice actors redub the scenes and stuff.

EverythingIncredible:
WTF? Why X? Nobody liked X. At least nobody that matter.

That video is laughing at me.

What are you talking about? FFX sold the second most units of any FF game ever, falling short ONLY to FFVII. Obviously SOME people liked it.

I do like all the hate for the game being poured into this thread, with people complaining about how no one liked it. Not only is this obviously and measurably wrong (the game received near-unanimous critical praise and is one of the highest selling titles the series has ever seen). Hell, it was so popular that it spawned the whole "dash two" trend that 13 is now following, with FFX-2....which is MUCH more deserving of criticism than anything FFX did.

FFX at least had a interesting (though highly abuse-able) system in the Sphere Grid, decent fast-paced combat with some iota of strategy to it (so long as you didn't abuse the Pertify blitzball), and while some of the cast was godawful (Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, and Jailbait in particular), this is the game that features Auron, which is arguably my favorite FF character of all time, and most of the others were bearable character archetypes.

Face it, a FFX remake will sell like hotcakes in an age where everyone's convinced that we're looking at more and more linear FF games like 13 (and likely 13-2 as well).

That said, I think FFX being remade is an obvious sellout to easier money. They picked 10 because of its popularity, but also the insane ease to upgrade it. 7 would require a damn lot of work to achieve a proper remake, that's why it wasn't picked.

Maybe this time they'll fix the Horrid writing, Character design(Exept Lulu), Charactersation, Story, and Final boss

I think ima have to get a ps3 for it, or become a programming master and code ana emulator, decisions decisions...

I can't believe they would bother remaking FF:X in the traditional sense. I think this will be mostly a pixel update and some sharpening with some new stuff tacked on. There's just no reason to put a lot of time remaking it, it was just last generation and the game still holds up fine graphics wise. Why would you completely rebuild this when it still looks fine on the PS2?

No reason to remake this when there's so many good FF games on the PS1 and SNES that actually need the proper remake treatment.

CriticKitten:
and while some of the cast was godawful (Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, and Jailbait in particular),

This is hilarious.

CriticKitten:
this is the game that features Auron, which is arguably my favorite the best FF character of all time

This is truthiness, right here.

cool i loved ff 10. i will admit whenever the laughing scene came up i left the room for a good while til it was over -_-

Zetsubou-Sama:

goldendriger:

Zetsubou-Sama:

Are you fuckin' nuts?! FFX was one of the worst!

That's the funny thing about opinions, everyone has one.

I personally consider VII to be full of shallow one dimensional characters, cliche ridden script, and full of plot holes, with a ever so slightly heavy handed moral, and I disliked the Materia system, neither fun and easily exploited, where VIII had at least a fun if exploitable system.

Also: I enjoyed the art design, and while the voice acting was grating at moments, the amount of depth and work that went into the script, story, and character arcs outshines most if not all FF's except for VI or Ix.

So yeah, just my opinion.

Do you want to hear me talk about X-2 which I also considered a good game even though it had all the flashy j-pop vibe going on?

Meh not really i thought FFX-2 Wasnt too bad, i can see what they were going for, its more upbeat, not at all linear and the hero didnt feel like cutting himself every 10 minutes (Kinda like Anti-ff13)

But in 10 i hated the sphere grid, what was wrong with getting EXP and levelling up? Tidus was an ass, The story didnt really make sense, but ive give up with Final Fantasy anyway. If you ever get sick of the endless crap Sqaure dishes out Shin Megami Tensei will be there for you ;D

i don't see any negative aspect in that
new players can enjoy it, old players can enjoy it again and SE is making some money for future ambitious projects

i just hope they put at least some bonus material in there

They're gonna remake 10? Ok, FF fans, it's time to accept it, Squeenix just don't like you.

EverythingIncredible:
At least nobody that matter.

I know a lot of people hate FFX and that is fine, it is after all their opinion and they are entitled to it, however I do object to you dismissing the fans and saying that they don't 'matter'. That is just needlessly rude.

unacomn:

I'm sure he'd be jumping for joy if VIII was announced, at least he'd have pretty graphics to watch while endlessly drawing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here