Invisible Tank Appears at London Arms Fair

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Invisible Tank Appears at London Arms Fair

BAE Systems' new tank may have been there all along.

This week's Defense and Security Equipment International arms fair at London's Excel center is a hive of military innovation. There are guns, missiles, a controversial Bahraini delegation and, as a finishing touch, an invisible tank. You can watch BAE's sneaky new tank hiding in some bushes in the accompanying video.

The tank hides using BAE's Adaptiv technology, which is based around a skin of hexagonal panels that can each change temperature at a rapid pace. The flexibility of these panels means that they can quickly adjust their temperature to that of their surroundings, rendering them invisible to infrared and thermal imaging sights. The panels can be be hardened, allowing them to serve as armor plating. Soldiers could also use the panels to mimic the shapes of other vehicles, or write cool messages on the side of the tank like "USAF 4 HALF-LIFE 3" or "PC GAMERS SUCK."

The project is currently being developed in Sweden under the supervision of the Swedish Defense Material Administration (FMV). Project leader Peder Sjölund says that, "Earlier attempts at similar cloaking devices have hit problems because of cost, excessive power requirements or because they were insufficiently robust. Our panels can be made so strong that they provide useful armour protection and consume relatively low levels of electricity, especially when the vehicle is at rest in 'stealth recce' mode and generator output is low."

If armed with both BAE's Adaptiv technology and the British Ministry of Defense's anti-RPG electromagnetic tank shields, the tanks of tomorrow could combine the best fictional parts of both the Enterprise and the Normandy. Also they could save actual lives, which is cooler than impersonating sci-fi.

Source: HuffingtonPost

Wouldn't it be in trouble if anybody saw it though? People's eyes don't have thermal imaging, so 1 guy could see it, and call in an airstrike or something.

Dear Santa...
Seriously, that's pretty fucking impressive. If the Taliban used night-vision, we'd have them beat within a month.

wait so we have forcefields, nanotechnology and invisible tanks now?

kinda makes Back to the Future seem bland and redundant...

LOOK AT MY INVISIBLE TANK!

But there is nothing there...

INVISIBLE TANK!

Awesomesauce!

Take that, IR-vision!

But... wait, we never really take on anyone with any large amount of high-tech equipment? Since this is invisible only to such things like heat sensors and other such devices that any of our enemies could never hope to afford, doesn't this make this particular gadget rather redundant? Who the hell are we meant to employ it against?

An invisible tank is all well and good, but where the hell is my predator active camo? I want to run around while invisible goddammit!

say it with me now people ... KANE LIVES!

But you know what this thing doesn't work against? regular vision.

All we have to do now is wait for our dear leader Cameron to either not impliment this system or eventually scrap it along with the rest of the armys tanks

w9496:
Wouldn't it be in trouble if anybody saw it though? People's eyes don't have thermal imaging, so 1 guy could see it, and call in an airstrike or something.

I don't know the ins and outs of modern tank warfare, but I believe at the typical engagements ranges( over 2 miles) spotting visually can be extremely difficult. A tank could already be behind the cover of a berm or chilling in some foliage so the heat signature becomes the primary method of identification.

theheroofaction:

You know what works against regular vision? Night(tm)[1]

[1] I couldn't figure out how to make a trademark symbol

The_Graff:

DOWN WITH GDI!

Simalacrum:
But... wait, we never really take on anyone with any large amount of high-tech equipment? Since this is invisible only to such things like heat sensors and other such devices that any of our enemies could never hope to afford, doesn't this make this particular gadget rather redundant? Who the hell are we meant to employ it against?

Best use I can think of it is this.

Sneak slowly towards target.
Load a new shell that is basically a mini-nuclear bomb.
Fire at target who has been pissing you of, ie a neighbour or someone you really wish you didn't sell those guns too.
Run the fuck away.
???
Hope you have only one head in a week/profit.

I'm guessing that's pretty much what it'll be used for, if it ever is used. :P

But that's pretty cool nonetheless. Still want my invisibility cloak, though.

Simalacrum:

Most likely they'll send pictures of empty fields and sand dune to enemy nations and tell them that they're full of invisible tanks. Then threaten to invade with an invisible army unless their demands are met.

"Mirage Tank opperaional."

theheroofaction:

erm paint it green or whatever colour the landscape where your going is ... yeah or try a net with some leaves glued to it throw that over the tank probleme solved.

spectrenihlus:

Bah, beat me to it. The only RTS game that got me addicted btw.

That's pretty cool, I was expecting to be able to faintly see it.

Though to be honest I'm surprised that we have any tanks left to stick that nifty stuff on to.

rembrandtqeinstein:

theheroofaction:

You know what works against regular vision? Night(tm)[1]

ALT+0153 ™ :D
[aw. doesn't show up properly for me D: EDIT: only in the preview, weird]
also nice tank, now we just need invisibility for the HUMAN eye.

[1] I couldn't figure out how to make a trademark symbol

Nobody in the 'but you can still see it' comments considered that a lot of anti-armour weaponry is heatseeking? Or that the 'primitive' enemy is stocking up on nightvision equipment? http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-05-14-nightinside_N.htm
That article coincidently also mentions that the 'advanced' armies like to fight when they got the advantage, such as at night, when they can use their night vision and thermal goggles?

I dont think they got laser guided missles, so my guess is most of their missles are heatseeking. If it works on helicopters and airplanes too then it's a potential godmode. Who gives a hoot that they can see the tank if they dont have anything that has a decent chance of hitting it without them having to get expose themselves? It's a big hunk of metal riding around at a topspeed nearly 50 km/hour offroad. It's not exactly stealthy. It has all sorts of fancy stuff so forget about getting up close to it. And with this stuff, hitting it from a safe distance becomes more difficult. It's a nice invention untill someone comes up with a sort of magnetic metal seeking missile. Or they get their hands on laserguided stuff.

this technology is designed for about 10-15 years in the future. and it's clearly for open tank warfare.

as this is BAE this is open to any adequate bidder so expect a few nations to follow this up.

also see the Taranis for some more nifty BAE work. These prototypes are basically first optioned to the uk for research. things take ages to be first operational and can last ages. see the Tornado as a prime example .

Hevva:
Also they could save actual lives, which is cooler than impersonating sci-fi.

I find this statement to be very naive. Weapons don't save lives.

Just sayin'.

The_Graff:

Gah, beaten to it! So we have our stealth tanks, now we need obelisks of light. Make it happen, BAE!

w9496:

It's pretty good defense at night vs. airstrikes. As a matter of fact, if I had a unit of these, I'd never use them any other time than at night.

I also see an application for mobile artillery camo against airstrikes. Every development has a niche it can fill.

spectrenihlus:

Mean, Green and unseen!

Why does the name BAE remind me of something from Armored Core?

I find this oddly appropriate...

Asmundr:
Why does the name BAE remind me of something from Armored Core?

The name "Balena" springs to my mind.

This technology is the edge we need for when Skynet attacks.

Hexagonal plating that can be hardened into armor?

*blip*
"Maximum Armor."

Get the invisible aircraft working and soon we'll be able to give Wonder Woman her plane whenever she shows up.

Simalacrum:

Aliens without heatseeking devices!

Hevva:
The tank hides using BAE's Adaptiv technology, which is based around a skin of hexagonal panels that can each change temperature at a rapid pace. The flexibility of these panels means that they can quickly adjust their temperature to that of their surroundings, rendering them invisible to infrared and thermal imaging sights.

The panels change temperature while emitting IR radiation. They are fairly convinced it wouldn't be difficult to switch the frequency into visible light ranges which would make it pretty close to an actual cloak.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here