Sony Declares PlayStation Vita for All

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Declares PlayStation Vita for All

Sony says its new handheld will be free of region encoding.

Even though common wisdom holds that Nintendo is the king of the handheld gaming market with the massive success of its DS system, Sony is certainly breathing down the neck of its rival. The PSP didn't make a critical splash when it debuted in Japan in 2004, but with numbers released last week, Sony claims the PSP and its variants have quietly sold 71.4 million units worldwide. With the price-cut and lackluster sales of Nintendo's 3DS, Sony is poised to capture a share of the handheld market with the release of the PlayStation Vita this December. Sony seems set to succeed exactly where Nintendo failed, by announcing a strong list of launch titles and, now, confirming that the Vita will not be restricted by region, allowing gamers in other territories the freedom to import games and devices directly from Japan.

Back at E3, Michael Denny from Sony Worldwide Studios Europe believed the PS Vita was going to be region-free but he shied from absolutely confirming or denying that fact. The Vita is region-free "to the best of my knowledge," he said.

But today someone higher on the Sony food chain, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida, confirmed via Twitter that the Vita does indeed have no region encoding. A Sony fan only known as Ryan or @lonelypessimist on Twitter beseeched Yoshida for a confirmation to which the executive replied a resounding yes.

"Is it confirmed yet if vita is region free?" Ryan asked.

"Yes, it is," Yoshida replied.

The news is even more important for those of us outside of the island nation because release dates for other territories have yet to be announced. The PS Vita will be available in Japan on December 17th, 2011.

Source: Twitter via Edge

I think i'll wait a few price drops before I get one...seriously, the price is ridiculous...

Agreed, that and the PSP was a huge waste of money for me.

MrBrightside919:
I think i'll wait a few price drops before I get one...seriously, the price is ridiculous...

I keep seeing this. It confuses me. It is the same price that the 3DS was at launch.
OP: Further cementing my desire to purchase.

I can already taste the games I shall import for el-vita. Now Artdink, the next Gundam games better cover non-uc storylines. And no, I don't want Mustachio gundam in it. ;)

My 3DS already bit me, but so did the PSP1 (it sits in my room collecting dust with its dead battery).

At this point, I don't have any real interest in the portable gaming market anymore.

After the price cut I bought a 3ds for my lil bro. A couple days later I read about a redesign to the 3ds that will include two joysticks. I learned my lesson when it comes to newly released hardware. Not to mention the red rings of the early 360's.

That said Sony really has some strong momentum going. Nintendo better watch out.

NO REGION CODING? WHUT!?!?!?!

*Ahem* Yeh This looks...erm shocking for me, the PSP for me was quite terrible and i have been stuck with my DS for a few years now...

This may change however...as the VITA has just caught my eye, and that hardly happens with something Sony makes (Don;t get me wrong, the Playstations and what not are cool, but they have never wowed me)

Sony...you will get my purchase.............

Sometime >.>

Hmm, is Sony making a comeback? Lets see what goes on with the next Playstation...

Dendio:
After the price cut I bought a 3ds for my lil bro. A couple days later I read about a redesign to the 3ds that will include two joysticks. I learned my lesson when it comes to newly released hardware. Not to mention the red rings of the early 360's.

That said Sony really has some strong momentum going. Nintendo better watch out.

I thought the extra thumb stick was an add on.
=======================================
On a side note the PSP2/VITA has TV out still? Thats the only reason I'd get it.

No region coding is F*CKING AWESOME! As an Australian who gets the short end of the stick on overall game releases this is fantasic news! I doubt I'll buy it on release since there are no JRPGs on release.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

I keep seeing this. It confuses me. It is the same price that the 3DS was at launch.

You mean the 3DS that sold poorly and recently dropped its price? What's confusing? They were/are both overpriced.

This is always a good news...

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

The 3DS was extremely ridiculous, though, so one ridiculous price doesn't make another immediately sensible.

However, I think the Vita is PROBABLY a good value for its launch price. Probably.

I love it, it's like Sony's watching the 3DS and taking notes what not to do. Damn it Nintendo, I don't want to buy both, get it together, I want mario!

Avaholic03:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

You mean the 3DS that sold poorly and recently dropped its price? What's confusing? They were/are both overpriced.

The hardware the Vita is packing makes it a far better value for its price than the 3DS.

Zachary Amaranth:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

The 3DS was extremely ridiculous, though, so one ridiculous price doesn't make another immediately sensible.

However, I think the Vita is PROBABLY a good value for its launch price. Probably.

But the tech in it is so advanced that I think it is justified. Devs being able to simultaneously develop for the Vita and PS3 really shows the Vita's potential.

No dice.

Not until Sony sorts the bloody battery life out. 3-5 hours, pfft, sod that.

ZippyDSMlee:

Dendio:

On a side note the PSP2/VITA has TV out still? Thats the only reason I'd get it.

The Article I read described how the 3ds is capable of making Gamecube quality games. Nintendo apparently dropped the ball including only one joy-pad since games that are beyond the N64 era require 2 joysticks. Sony has two for its Vita and as such will be able to support a broader range of games. If Nintendo wants to have 3rd party support the 3ds will need two sticks. The add-on is expected to support the current iteration. The add-on makes the portable pretty bulky. Eventually a 3ds redesign will have the two sticks included and more streamlined.

I personally think Nintendo is holding back the technical capabilities on the 3ds to resell its N64 stock before moving on to the Gamecube classics. The Vita has been rumored to be near ps3 capable. Sony is pushing the industry foward with its powerful technology and Nintendo is being forced to play by their rules for third party support ( Look at how many third party games skipped the Wii due to its suboptimal capabilities ). If Nintendo played the 3ds to its capabilities then instead of a Ocarina of time remake we might have gotten Windwaker.

On your second point: I don't know about the psp tv but the 3ds has netflix access, which works out pretty well if you have wifi available.

Meh, I'll stick with my 3DS, hasn't failed me yet. I might pick one of these up eventually, but none of the titles really shout out to me.

]DustArma[:
The hardware the Vita is packing makes it a far better value for its price than the 3DS.

Well that's a matter of opinion. It doesn't do glasses-free 3D. So if that's important to you, then the 3DS is more "valuable". Similarly, the fancy specs on the PSV might not be important to some people, so they don't think it's as valuable as you do.

Overall, a product is only worth as much as people are willing to pay. But I'm pretty sure the PSV is overpriced and they'll have to reduce that price just like the 3DS did if they want to meet their sales projections.

The 3DS is a failure as of now. Maybe Nintendo can pull it out of the garbage but I doubt it, add-ons don't usually help because they divide your install base. Still Nintendo has to do something, the 3D is a waste as most people can't use it for extended periods of time. Where it is common for game companies to tell people to take a break every 15 minutes, with the 3D on, it is required to avoid headaches. To me, that is a useless feature. If I can only play a game for 15 minutes, I won't turn it on.

The Vita has a chance here to take over dedicated (as in no damn phones) handheld gaming. I hope they seize it because if there is one thing I have learned this generation, it's that Nintendo being on top is bad for the consumer. Between the games that stayed full price 4 years after release to the gimmicks Nintendo keeps pushing, I never want to see Nintendo on top again. Well, atleast not for a few generations.

Dendio:

ZippyDSMlee:

Dendio:

The Article I read described how the 3ds is capable of making Gamecube quality games. Nintendo apparently dropped the ball including only one joy-pad since games that are beyond the N64 era require 2 joysticks. Sony has two for its Vita and as such will be able to support a broader range of games. If Nintendo wants to have 3rd party support the 3ds will need two sticks. The add-on is expected to support the current iteration. The add-on makes the portable pretty bulky. Eventually a 3ds redesign will have the two sticks included and more streamlined.

I personally think Nintendo is holding back the technical capabilities on the 3ds to resell its N64 stock before moving on to the Gamecube classics. The Vita has been rumored to be near ps3 capable. Sony is pushing the industry foward with its powerful technology and Nintendo is being forced to play by their rules for third party support ( Look at how many third party games skipped the Wii due to its suboptimal capabilities ). If Nintendo played the 3ds to its capabilities then instead of a Ocarina of time remake we might have gotten Windwaker.

On your second point: I don't know about the psp tv but the 3ds has netflix access, which works out pretty well if you have wifi available.

TV output, The PSP had it and I enjoyed play its game on a TV.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Zachary Amaranth:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

But the tech in it is so advanced that I think it is justified. Devs being able to simultaneously develop for the Vita and PS3 really shows the Vita's potential.

THANK YOU
unlike ninentendo's meagre offering the psvita actually has enough power to justify its existence, its a real leap from the last, and will have a decent lineup unlike the 3ds, which so far has nothing.

Avaholic03:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

You mean the 3DS which had almost no good games at launch?

Avaholic03:

]DustArma[:

Well that's a matter of opinion. It doesn't do glasses-free 3D. So if that's important to you, then the 3DS is more "valuable". Similarly, the fancy specs on the PSV might not be important to some people, so they don't think it's as valuable as you do.

Overall, a product is only worth as much as people are willing to pay. But I'm pretty sure the PSV is overpriced and they'll have to reduce that price just like the 3DS did if they want to meet their sales projections.

It is more likely that Sony sells them at a loss with all the fancy stuff they are integrating, in my opinion it would have been enough to upgrade its processing power and give it a second stick.

OT: and as it won't be region locked I'm looking forward to a lot of games which don't get western releases, especially some RPGs

TV output, The PSP had it and I enjoyed play its game on a TV.

Did a quick search. Looks like it wont have it at launch. But I did see a rumor that Sony's answer to the Wii-U's TV interactivity could be a PSP Vita-Ps3 television connection

Korten12:

Avaholic03:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

You mean the 3DS which had almost no good games at launch?

You mean the 3DS which has several good games lined up for it?

Sony dropped the ball a bit here, the 3DS has already been out for several months. Had they managed to release the Vita within the same time frame, they could have stomped it. The launch lineup doesn't even matter anymore. As cheap as it is now and with several Nintendo titles over the horizon, sales are more than likely to pick up before then. With its price as high as it is, the Vita doesn't have as much as an advantage as it could have.

And as usual, there's always the effect Monster Hunter tends to have on Japanese portable sales. The Portable series pretty much sent PSP sales through the roof in Japan - I expect a similar effect with 3G and 4.

It's anybody's guess as to which system will ultimately prevail here.

Atmos Duality:
My 3DS already bit me, but so did the PSP1 (it sits in my room collecting dust with its dead battery).

At this point, I don't have any real interest in the portable gaming market anymore.

Yea. Me neither. Since I got a smartphone, I have plenty to do on the plane/train/hold.
Sure the games aren't as good for the most part but for movies and everything else: much better & easier.

If this is region free, will they still sue to oblivion any online retailer that tries to sell it in a country it wasn't "officially" released in?

With the tech it has, the vita is a fucking bargain at $250 compared to the low end 3DS. The number of games at launch and in development for it is nothing short of astounding.

Mxrz:
With the tech it has, the vita is a fucking bargain at $250 compared to the low end 3DS. The number of games at launch and in development for it is nothing short of astounding.

By that price i may as well buy a PS3 so at that value i don't see it as a bargain at all since it's supposed to be a handheld not the price of an actual PS3 or 360

Avaholic03:

]DustArma[:

I think you're misunderstanding this; the production cost of the Vita is much higher than the 3DS, which means that the Vita is in fact more value for money, regardless of personal worth. It reminds me of the reaction to the PS3 when it was first release, with many complaining that the console was overpriced when in reality Sony was making a huge loss because of production price, which when you consider the fact that the PS3 is the fastest selling console to date, was a oversight on their part.

Not for me thanks. Handheld consoles have never appealed to me.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

MrBrightside919:

I'm not sure about that but I saw the price was around 300-350...but even 250 is pretty ridiculous...although I did buy a 3DS when it was that...

Guess I just have more faith in Nintendo with their handhelds since i've been playing em since the early 90s...and the PSP wasn't so awesome (although I did have one and liked it)...

Nice one, Sony. I think this is a great step, and others should take note.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here