Canadian Coins Go Cryptozoological

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Canadian Coins Go Cryptozoological

The Royal Canadian Mint is rolling out a series of colorful 25-cent coins featuring three of the country's most famous mythical creatures.

Up here in the Great White North, we like our currency to have a little zing. We've got loonies, we've got twoonies - the two-dollar bill was actually a real thing here until it was replaced by a coin - and when it comes to paper money, it's colors, not numbers, that are important. And now we've got what is possibly the most awesome coinage of all: a set of three quarters emblazoned with three of the country's cryptids in full, glorious color.

A cryptid, for those not in the know, is a creature of legend, an animal which has never been proven to actually exist, like the Loch Ness Monster, the Jackalope or the Sasquatch - which features on one of the three coins. Sasquatch is easily the most famous of the three and the only one that most people, Canadians included, will immediately recognize.

The second coin features Memphre, the "lake dragon" who lives in Lake Memphremagog in Quebec and is believed to be very much like Nessie, and Mishepishu, "the Great Lynx," a shapeshifter who roams the Great Lakes. All three coins featured the likeness of Elizabeth II, D. G. Regina, long may she reign, on the flipside.

The coins are legal tender but probably won't be tossed onto too many shop counters, as their 25 cent value pales next to their 25 dollar cost. Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.

Source: Geekosystem

Dammit Canada! Why do you get to have all the fun?

*goes back to trying to exchange bottlecaps at my local bank*

It hurts my head that people actually think these things exist.

... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?

I like how we can have fun with coins up here. I might think about getting the Mishepishu for how equally cute and bad ass it looks.

I can't WAIT until I find these in my change!

Only 3? They're losing their touch. Shouldn't there be like one for every province and territory like there usualy is?

Seriously, there's so many "commemative quarters" out there I think just about any piece of metal the right size could be taken for legal tender because who's to say there isn't a coin with a hydra, a cartoon mouse, or Master Chief on it.

Javarino:
... I haven't heard of those last two, well EVER. Why couldn't they do the Ogopogo from Lake Okanagan in BC?

Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.

Sasquatch...sure, who hasn't heard of the Wendigo?

But the other two...that's crazier than the Beast of Bodmin Moor or the Sceadugenga.

i want nessie on my money.

if i did, i'd get two and use one to put it in circulation.

Oh Canada, Our home and native land

Can't wait. I don't collect but those look awesome.

Then we Get plastic money soon too :)

Redd the Sock:
Only 3? They're losing their touch. Shouldn't there be like one for every province and territory like there usualy is?

Seriously, there's so many "commemative quarters" out there I think just about any piece of metal the right size could be taken for legal tender because who's to say there isn't a coin with a hydra, a cartoon mouse, or Master Chief on it.

Anyone from canada? lol. They usually come in sets that's the thing.

SAT4NSLILHELPER:

Javarino:

Because that would require Eastern Canada acknowledging that the West actually exists.

Dammit, you beat me to it. But, while I'm here:

Because then East Canada would have to pull its collective head out of its ass.
Because Western Canada doesn't actually exist.

On the plus side, the coins do look nice. Hopefully they'll be more durable than those ones with the red poppy from a couple years back- the colour wore off of them fairly quickly.

Andy Chalk:
"the Great Lynx", a shapeshifter who roams the Great Lakes.

Never heard of it. (btw you misplaced the , there)
But it sure seems like a good way to get crazy chicks. "Hey baby, ever slept with a shapeshifting lake lynx? C'mon, I've even got my own quarter!
How can I prove I am an shapeshifter? Well, do I look like a lake lynx to you? That's because I shapeshifted into a human form. Bam!"

GOD DAMMIT!!!
I really want these now...why couldn't Scotland put some of our cryptids in money form

It's a good thing I read the whole article. At first, I thought Queen Elizabeth was the mythical creature on the coins.

/stupid joke =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_two-dollar_bill

It is still real and still in circulation.

Also $75CAD for 75 cents is not worth it.

SAT4NSLILHELPER:

Javarino:

Doesn't the Sasquatch foot represent Western Canada? Well from the extended description at least it puts the Sasquatch in BC, Yukon, and Northern Ontario.

I wouldn

Andy Chalk:
Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.

Nothing cool about silver, I'd go for commemorative gold coins instead. Unless you really like the... design.

Well these sure make the fifty states quarters look like crap.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Sasquatch...sure, who hasn't heard of the Wendigo?

But the other two...that's crazier than the Beast of Bodmin Moor or the Sceadugenga.

I think I heard about Bodmin on the history channel once, back in the nineties. God but I miss having cable.

AWESOME!!!! WOO! I love being Canadian. I'll buy all of them probably.

The cin nut inside me just went crazy, wish I had some disposable cash to waste on these.

I've gotta admit, that's pretty awesome. The most awesome coin I have is a 1986 2 coin:

Yep. Pales in comparison, right?

Andy Chalk:
the Jackalope

I don't mean to sound rude, but the jackalope is NOTa cryptid.

It's a long running joke/creature of folklore like the boogyman.

Cryptzoology studies creatures that have evidence for their exitence, but not scitenfically recognized due lack of direct credible first hand evidence.

Nobody ever found the boogyman, the jackalope, or a snipe.

The coelacanth, Opaki, gaint squid, and Hoan Kiem turtle were examples of ACTUAL now regonizied animals that used to be cryptids

I actually am insulted by this, cryptozoology has gotten more and more bad PR due to stuff like the Water Horse and The Secret saturdays.

It would be nice if you either removed the jackalope, or added info on the actual scientific impact the field has made.

Nice to see that we get some colour on our quarters finally. Sucks because the only colour before was the red poppy, which is depressing.

Javarino:

Also this.

The Memphre is a actual cryptozoological beast, but the Mishepishu I have never heard off, and as far as I can tell, it's purely folklore.

I'm not canadian, and even I knew about the Ogopogo before I got into cryptozoology.

Staskala:
I wouldn

Andy Chalk:
Obviously you're not going to pick up a roll or two to blow at the laundromat, but as a collector's item, a cool birthday gift for the kids or just for something to wave in the faces of friends whose money is all green and boring, I think these things are about as cool as a coin is going to get.

Nothing cool about silver, I'd go for commemorative gold coins instead. Unless you really like the... design.

What are you talking about? Silver is awesome!

OT: Man, those are way cooler then the state quarters or the dollar coins with presidents on them.

Jabberwock xeno:
...or a snipe....

Unless you meant something entirely different in which case I apologise, and move on swiftly.

OT: That's pretty sweet. The closest I have to that is a Golden Jubilee 5 pound coin which is kinda sucky.

Yay, go Canada! More for the collection, to go with my obsolete 1 and 2 dollar bills and 50 cent piece XD

Yeah, I don't know about dropping $25 on a quarter.

Javarino:

My first thought when I read the title was that there must be an Ogopogo one. I am disappoint.

We need to make a petition. I might actually think about getting one if they had the Ogopogo.

nin_ninja:
Nice to see that we get some colour on our quarters finally. Sucks because the only colour before was the red poppy, which is depressing.

Aren't there pink breast cancer ribbon coins in circulation as well, not to mention a few olympic quarters with red maple leafs? I like to collect coins...

Canada, where even our coins have a sense of humour. :D

Crazy Canadian money indeed. First plastic bills, and now this. Hell, I still have a 25 cent Canadian bill in my coin collection. Also, no Ogopogo? I am very disappointed.

The Diabolical Biz:

Jabberwock xeno:
...or a snipe....

Unless you meant something entirely different in which case I apologise, and move on swiftly.

OT: That's pretty sweet. The closest I have to that is a Golden Jubilee 5 pound coin which is kinda sucky.

Never heard of a snipe hunt?

Jabberwock xeno:

The Diabolical Biz:

Jabberwock xeno:
...or a snipe....

Never heard of a snipe hunt?

I get it now. Still, they're real!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook