Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson says the game feels mighty good on an Xbox 360-style analog game controller.

If you're a die-hard PC gamer, get ready to freak out, because the console crowd is pounding on your door and Blizzard is about to open it up and invite 'em in! Or something like that.

"We don't see ourselves as a PC developer - we see ourselves as a game developer," Wilson told PC Gamer. "It's just that the game that we wanted to make suits the PC platform."

But the times, they are a-changin', and although Blizzard still doesn't think a Starcraft-style strategy game would work on consoles, a game like Diablo 3 is a different matter altogether.

"One of the reasons why we're exploring the idea of a console version of Diablo 3 because we feel that the controls and the style of the game lend itself to a console," he continued. "With some of our early experiments in putting a direct control scheme into the game via a 360-like analogue controller, I've been, 'Oh this feels even better, with direct control...'"

Wilson added that if a console version of Diablo 3 does get the green light, he "can pretty much guarantee" that controller support will be added to the PC version of the game, but that he doesn't think it will be ready in time for the initial release - which as I read it tends to suggest that a console version is already in the works. But I think that's been the assumption for awhile, hasn't it?

Either way, the standard mouse-and-keyboard control setup we've come to know and love in previous Diablo games isn't going anywhere. So freak out if you must, PC gamers, but try not to hurt yourselves.

What's sad is that this will probably upset some PC gamers. Why? I have no idea.

I look forward to trying this game on a console.

EDIT: A controller easily has 16 buttons to use, over 30 if you incorporate holding the triggers to map buttons twice. This game should be fine on a controller.

Considering I found Torchlight much more natural and fun to play on the XBox, I see where they're coming from here. The main thing was the movement - movement required clicking, attacking required clicking, but with the controller you can move where you want a lot more easily, then attack in your own way. The click targeting of Diablo 1 and 2 was some of the weakest stuff in the game, in my opinion.

How can you play Diablo without more clicks than a tap dancing school during a fire drill? Blasphemy, I say.

Diablo 1 was on Playstation and it worked just fine.

I guess that's good news, because Blizzard deserves everyones' money.

What's sad is that this will probably upset some PC gamers. Why? I have no idea.

Nah.
The only one's complaining are console people because they have some kind of inferiority complex.
PC gamers complain, when they get an actual reason, such as horrible controls in From Dust etc.

oh sweet jesus toss up an armada of flame shields before the elitists get here

OT: i'm sure this will help a few friends of mine who are atrocious with keyboards and hate using them but are nifty with a controller.

Andy Chalk:
'Oh this feels even better, with direct control...'"

would you say they are Assuming direct control?

sorry..everytime i see direct or control i immediately have to think of me2..

I think that out of all the "PC is the only way to play this type of game!!!" games, Diablo style dungeon crawlers are one of them which would translate to a console setup really well. I think the biggest issue would be accurate targeting of abilities and that can be accomplished by some type of Z-targeting system. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited about the prospect of playing D3 on my PS3 some day.

finally, VITA, PS3, 360, and WiiU all should get this game, I hope they do like Portal 2 and allow play between consoles. Maybe, if not being able to play on PS3 and when I'm on the go on VITA would make that my preferred version by default. Until that happens I'll sink countless hours to PC version :)

I know a lot of PC gamers freak out, but I honestly think this game will be more fun to play on a controller.

The mouse control never felt natural to me. It was awkward and weird. And I can see why they don't have WASD. So if they do have controller support then that would be lovely.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see a lot of PC gamers freaking out over Diablo 3. Diablo is old, the gameplay mechanics are old. It's the same thing, only in 2012.

PC gamer here, not interested, also not surprised they're going to throw it to consoles. Diablo was fun, in 1996. I've kinda moved on in my gaming over the years.

I havent played a Diablo game since the first one, but I could definitely imagine how much better it would be with a controller. I would buy it for my 360 if they came out with it, for sure.

coldfrog:
Considering I found Torchlight much more natural and fun to play on the XBox, I see where they're coming from here. The main thing was the movement - movement required clicking, attacking required clicking, but with the controller you can move where you want a lot more easily, then attack in your own way. The click targeting of Diablo 1 and 2 was some of the weakest stuff in the game, in my opinion.

I was just about to write something like this. It's good example how Diablo dungeon thingy works on consoles and I played Torchlight on pc and xbox and when I played it on xbox I felt bit more relaxed and well it was more "natural" to move with stick.

Thought only problem is that with pc you can keybind skills to numbers and so have more skills in your hands just in a press of a one button. But that really didn't chance the fact how I liked to play Torchlight more with xbox.

I wonder how Diablo 3's always-online system will work on consoles. Because then you have to rely on Sony and Microsoft to not cock up their servers, as well as Blizzard, yourself, and your service provider.

Just confirm Diablo 3 for consoles already.

You want the extra sales, and I want to BUY IT.

You know if they actually do officially announce a console version before the PC release then I think I would actually wait for the console one.

Dyme:

Nah.
The only one's complaining are console people because they have some kind of inferiority complex.
PC gamers complain, when they get an actual reason, such as horrible controls in From Dust etc.

Oh god that is funny. PC gamers complain about anything and everything just like every other type of gamer.

As a PC gamer, I'm all for it. In fact, this may be the only reason to ever buy Diablo 3, just to see how it plays with a controller.

I'm sorry, but it's just not Diablo if you aren't breaking a mouse with clicking.

Andy Chalk:
Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson says the game feels mighty good on an Xbox 360-style analog game controller.

It better 'feel good' Wilson, or there's going to be hell to pay!

Honestly, in my own opinion, I don't think any of Blizzards current games would ever work on a console. Now I could be wrong but adding a controller to Diablo just doesnae seem right. And yes I know there is Torchlight on the 360 which is LIKE Diablo however I don't own a 360 so I have never played it.

I've been looking forward to Diablo III since Diablo II. And then again after Titan Quest, and it's expansion pack (which were so similar to D2, yet greatly better, kind of serving as a Diablo III). The loong development, with the oh-my-god-they-hate-our-colorful-version episode, has kind of taken the edge off. But Diablo III is still a must-buy. Certainly.

At least it's still done mainly for PC. A lot of would-be-great games are nowadays full of shit, because of awfully done ports (Shift 2 Unleashed) and also from the restricted key-mapping, graphics, and so on.

But I must say I'm not pleased with this.

Irridium:
I wonder how Diablo 3's always-online system will work on consoles. Because then you have to rely on Sony and Microsoft to not cock up their servers, as well as Blizzard, yourself, and your service provider.

Didn't you hear? People only cheat and pirate on the PC.

OT: As mentioned, they're already fucking people enough, so that which input it "feels best on" is the least of people's concerns, I would imagine.

This actually makes me interested in Diablo 3. I can pretty much guarantee that my computer won't run it, so I wasn't paying much attention to it, but if they release it on consoles I might have to check it out.

Diablo always struck me as a game that would fit with a controller. I'll probably plug it into my PC and give it a whirl when I get the game.

Dyme:
Diablo 1 was on Playstation and it worked just fine.

I guess that's good news, because Blizzard deserves everyones' money.

Nah.

Are you kidding? PC Gamers will complain about this until the game comes out, then they'll switch to praising the game, until the console version comes out, and switch again, this time to affirm the superiority of the PC version. And that's from a PC Gamer.

I don't know if I'd wait for the console version or not. My friend wants the game, but doesn't have a computer of his own for gaming, so it's pretty much guaranteed that he'll buy it, so I could save myself some money and borrow it from him once he's done with it.

Edit: Go ahead, gaze at the rage already starting in this thread. PC gamers do complain, even about things that don't affect them.

It's sad how predictable Blizzard is. And how full of shit. I called it the moment they started easing into the console release announcement. But also, it's fascinating how many terrible announcements they can make in a row and still get blown by the gaming community like their cum was gold.

I have not yet gotten an answer as to what's gained to outweigh what's lost by porting the game to consoles, let alone what would make it better. I suspect a reason for Wilson not being at all specific.

And before I start getting answers to my absolutely not rhetorical question, let's go over what you lose by porting (I'll be fairly general for the purposes of time-saving. Inquire if you don't understand what I mean):
A) You lose speed in any type of menu management and targeting.
B) You lose speed and convenience in selecting/executing skills.
C) You lose the amount of skills you can quickly access.
D) You lose - literally - the second dimension when it comes to targeting. Meaning all targeting will, for the sake of speed (you do not want a charge-up targeting system), be one dimensional. A line.
E) You, being the generic console gamer, lose the ability to chat without calling people.

This is not a good thing except in the most short-sighted of views, to put it mildly.

Baldurs gate was ported to the playstation 2 and the only complaint I'd have about it being that you could only have 4 of your skills useable at one time so it could get a little annoying but other than that it worked great.

I'm not really sure how many skills each class is going to have but I reckon letting this be playable on console is pretty big on Blizzards agenda

As long as I can play it like good old D2, all will be well :P

Well. This seems like some mighty fine backtracking by the folks at Blizzard.

"We said cash-ins! And this feels better on a controller! So says us!"

Yeah, ok guys. Does ActiBlizzard even try anymore or are they just fucking with us extremely blatantly at this point?

Hammeroj:

Diablo 3 is designed so that you can only access 5 skills at any one time.

Idocreating:

Hammeroj:

Wrong. Six. And even then, the fastest way to access skills on a controller only allows 4. And it's slower than it is on PCs.

Idocreating:

Hammeroj:

...which was kind of exactly his point. He's saying that shows to that they're focusing the development on making it really easy to port to console. So they don't have to change much.

Coming soon: Microsoft Points auction house.

/puke

Oh this is going to be priceless. I'm still playing it on PC regardless of what Blizz says. IMO, it's a PC game and should be played like a PC game. That said, watching the purists flip out is going to make my afternoon so much more enjoyable.

Sober Thal:

EDIT: A controller easily has 16 buttons to use, over 30 if you incorporate holding the triggers to map buttons twice. This game should be fine on a controller.

The reason most PC gamers complain is because of bad console->PC ports. While it is possible to have 16-30 buttons on a controller, very very few games actually do that. Many PC gamers want lots of options and abilities at once.

Hammeroj:
It's sad how predictable Blizzard is. And how full of shit. I called it the moment they started easing into the console release announcement. But also, it's fascinating how many terrible announcements they can make in a row and still get blown by the gaming community like their cum was gold.

I have not yet gotten an answer as to what's gained to outweigh what's lost by porting the game to consoles, let alone what would make it better. I suspect a reason for Wilson not being at all specific.

And before I start getting answers to my absolutely not rhetorical question, let's go over what you lose by porting (I'll be fairly general for the purposes of time-saving. Inquire if you don't understand what I mean):

Nothing is actually lost in porting it so nothing is added. Although since the fucking game isnt even out yet its idiotic to talk about them ripping stuff out.

A) You lose speed in any type of menu management and targeting.

Its impossible to actually say that for sure. Very very few console games have ever had inventory management or targeting problems. There have been plenty with a similiar style to diablo 3 the most recent of which was torchlight which didnt have any problems on the 360.

B) You lose speed and convenience in selecting/executing skills.

Because clicking a button on a keyboard is so much faster then clicking one on a controller

You can only use 6 skills at once in diablo 3, I controller has something like 18 buttons. I dont see the issue here.

E) You, being the generic console gamer, lose the ability to chat without calling people.

Yep cause those headset things are just so terrible and so much slower then typing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here