Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I still remember Diablo 1 for the PS1. It was waaay better. The graphics where better, the contolls where better and you could even change the languages, both spoken and written!

Dyme:
Diablo 1 was on Playstation and it worked just fine.

What the fuck?
It did not.
It was atrocious.
Me, not even being a PC gamer yet at that time, were tearing my hair out because of the controls.

Sober Thal:
What's sad is that this will probably upset some PC gamers. Why? I have no idea.

Cause many of them are douches lol.

What about the always online thing? Several people I know don't go online with their consoles often. How would that work for this game? Also what about those who don't even have their consoles connected to the internet?

Subtitled:

Hammeroj:
Snip.

So, just because a console version would be arguably (I say arguably because while your points are valid, whether that loss of speed and precision actually bothers someone is entirely up to that individual), means that it shouldn't be done at all?

It would not be arguably, it would be objectively functionally worse. Period. I'm not talking about preference, because "I prefer it this way /fullstop" is the worst argument anyone can ever make. And also because people can like the shittiest of shit, despite it having little to no redeeming qualities.

If an inferior version of a game is made with the only purpose of it being profit, it has no intellectual (or even moral, to sound dramatic) reason to exist. It may well be done, but it should not be supported. You'll notice that at least most of my ire, if it was apparent in that post, was directed at the gullible and severely ignorant audience. You'll see my point proven once you read countless less-than-half-line comments, blurbs, I should say, about people saying how good it is that the game's coming to consoles (or ones from every other D3 thread whining about how it should). With no reasons whatsoever, other than, of course, the heavy implication that the console in question is the only fucking gaming device the person has.

The preference you're talking about, too, vast majority of the time simply comes from not having used the mouse&keyboard setup for anything more than checking one's Facebook. So many people on this forum (usually touted the one intellectual gaming forum) are completely and utterly ignorant about the way PCs work when it comes to games that it's scary to think how bad it is outside it.

Hammeroj:
It would not be arguably, it would be objectively functionally worse. Period. I'm not talking about preference, because "I prefer it this way /fullstop" is the worst argument anyone can ever make. And also because people can like the shittiest of shit, despite it having little to no redeeming qualities.

Which is exactly why I gave the disclaimer for why I said "arguably." If it being objectively worse, whether in control or even technical aspects, is grounds for it never being allowed to exist, then a great many console games would never have been made. You may not be discussing preference, but when it comes to someone dropping their cash, I think it's far more important to go with what you prefer, even if there's something better.

Hammeroj:

If an inferior version of a game is made with the only purpose of it being profit, it has no intellectual (or even moral, to sound dramatic) reason to exist. It may well be done, but it should not be supported. You'll notice that at least most of my ire, if it was apparent in that post, was directed at the gullible and severely ignorant audience. You'll see my point proven once you read countless less-than-half-line comments, blurbs, I should say, about people saying how good it is that the game's coming to consoles (or ones from every other D3 thread whining about how it should). With no reasons whatsoever, other than, of course, the heavy implication that the console in question is the only fucking gaming device the person has.

Blizzard isn't allowed to make money? That aside, bringing a game to more people is hardly a bad thing, if the transfer can be done to a determined degree of success. It's fine wanting your product to be the best it can possibly be, and I in no way condone the equalization that seems to tend to happen in multiplatform development when PC's and consoles are concerned, but if it doesn't affect your product negatively, than why should someone who does only have a console for gaming be left out?

Hammeroj:

The preference you're talking about, too, vast majority of the time simply comes from not having used the mouse&keyboard setup for anything more than checking one's Facebook. So many people on this forum (usually touted the one intellectual gaming forum) are completely and utterly ignorant about the way PCs work when it comes to games that it's scary to think how bad it is outside it.

I was a PC gamer first back in the day, and still am to some degree, though now I typically prefer a controller in my hands and lounging in all manner of positions on a couch. It's comfortable for me. And although, to your example, I am most likely not part of that vast majority, it still shows that it's entirely possible for someone to prefer a controller, knowing full well that it is inferior in some aspects.

Also, the PS3 at least can support mouse and keyboard, so if Blizzard allowed for that support in a console version, wouldn't your points become invalid?

Hammeroj:
It's sad how predictable Blizzard is. And how full of shit. I called it the moment they started easing into the console release announcement. But also, it's fascinating how many terrible announcements they can make in a row and still get blown by the gaming community like their cum was gold.

I have not yet gotten an answer as to what's gained to outweigh what's lost by porting the game to consoles, let alone what would make it better. I suspect a reason for Wilson not being at all specific.

And before I start getting answers to my absolutely not rhetorical question, let's go over what you lose by porting (I'll be fairly general for the purposes of time-saving. Inquire if you don't understand what I mean):
A) You lose speed in any type of menu management and targeting.
B) You lose speed and convenience in selecting/executing skills.
C) You lose the amount of skills you can quickly access.
D) You lose - literally - the second dimension when it comes to targeting. Meaning all targeting will, for the sake of speed (you do not want a charge-up targeting system), be one dimensional. A line.
E) You, being the generic console gamer, lose the ability to chat without calling people.

This is not a good thing except in the most short-sighted of views, to put it mildly.

Whats to gain?

PROFITS! Why on earth would blizzard pass up all that money? Calm your elitist self, son. I don't think you're really right about any of your points, but even if you are how does it hurt you if theres a version on consoles that you wont play because you'll be busy stroking yourself because you use a PC?

Edit: btw, if I buy the game it will be on PC. I'm just not so wrapped up in this stupid notion that pc gamers/games are somehow superior that I would give a rats ass if it were released on a platform that I personally woudln't buy it for. Hell if they wanted to make a version for the 3ds or something it wouldnt bother me.... BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY/PLAY VERSIONS YOU DONT WANT.

Now sit down and shut up.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Stryc9:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Snip

*snippity snip snip*

I've only broken a grand total of two from both Diablo games, one I've slammed down too hard and the other it stopped working because I'd grip it too hard when I got angry.

I'm not upset over this, a little annoyed because they've been teasing about it for so long because just about everyone knew this was going to happen and it's weird since I'm so used to mouse and keyboard. I'm sure it will be fine with a controller, but I'm sticking to my mouse.

Two mice in that length of time isn't that bad, it'd actually be hard to blame that on strictly playing the Diablo games. Mice to suffer a certain amount of wear and tear through everyday use and eventually they will die. I'm going to be sad the day the old Microsoft Optical stops working, it's been a good mouse for so long, and even though I've upgraded and moved on it still sees regular use on an older computer used for playing classics, like Diablo and Diablo II.

I've only ever really worn out one mouse and that was just because it's rechargeable battery eventually stopped holding a charge.

My dad on the other hand seems to think he needs a new mouse every couple of years or so because "they don't click like they're supposed to anymore", meaning he slides the mouse off of what he's clicking on because he clicks too hard. I've seen him really mash down on the button and actually slide the mouse before. He did actually manage to mash the button so hard on his last mouse that it doesn't work properly about 10% of the time though. To top that off his total gaming experience barely gets out of the Solitaire range.

Does this mean we finally get to use WASD on the PC version? Blizzard has stated before that they wouldn't support it, but now that it somehow is "even better" with a controller...

makes sense if you think about it. Never was fond of that massive click-fest.

That said, -if- they dumb down the PC version in future releases, imma gonna be a sad panda

Stryc9:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Stryc9:

*snippity snip snip*

I've only broken a grand total of two from both Diablo games, one I've slammed down too hard and the other it stopped working because I'd grip it too hard when I got angry.

I'm not upset over this, a little annoyed because they've been teasing about it for so long because just about everyone knew this was going to happen and it's weird since I'm so used to mouse and keyboard. I'm sure it will be fine with a controller, but I'm sticking to my mouse.

Two mice in that length of time isn't that bad, it'd actually be hard to blame that on strictly playing the Diablo games. Mice to suffer a certain amount of wear and tear through everyday use and eventually they will die. I'm going to be sad the day the old Microsoft Optical stops working, it's been a good mouse for so long, and even though I've upgraded and moved on it still sees regular use on an older computer used for playing classics, like Diablo and Diablo II.

I've only ever really worn out one mouse and that was just because it's rechargeable battery eventually stopped holding a charge.

My dad on the other hand seems to think he needs a new mouse every couple of years or so because "they don't click like they're supposed to anymore", meaning he slides the mouse off of what he's clicking on because he clicks too hard. I've seen him really mash down on the button and actually slide the mouse before. He did actually manage to mash the button so hard on his last mouse that it doesn't work properly about 10% of the time though. To top that off his total gaming experience barely gets out of the Solitaire range.

Those two I can blame on Diablo since those are my go to PC games and I use my keyboard more often since I use hot keys a lot. I'm normally really careful with my mice for day to day use, I haven't broken a mouse in a really long time. I will say the one I slammed down was a long time ago and it had a ball, yeah that old, and the ball cracked the part of the mouse and it wouldn't work properly. Keyboards on the other hand I do go through a lot, I either have bad luck and they stop working properly or eventually certain keys won't work anymore.

My dad is the same way, but he plays Risk, and he has to replace his mouse more than me, which is weird since I click a lot more in Diablo than he does in Risk.

Denamic:

Dyme:
Diablo 1 was on Playstation and it worked just fine.

What the fuck?
It did not.
It was atrocious.
Me, not even being a PC gamer yet at that time, were tearing my hair out because of the controls.

Maybe wrong memories and nostalgia.

I know for fact that I was able to run in circles and throw my gold through the air.

I bet Blizzard is just trolling console players, they're known for having a sense of humour about things.

Hammeroj:

faspxina:
It took this long to figure that out?

I think Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games on the PS2 proved that Diablo works well on a console a long time ago.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, for one, proved nothing except that even the most generic [piece of shit] dungeon crawler can sell on consoles. There is nothing about the dungeon crawler genre the game got right.

It proved that the gameplay of hack'n'slash rpg's translate well to the console's controller.

Not a problem, I have pinnacle and no problem mapping my own key config to my xbox and PS3 controllers.

I've been using usb controllers for almost 10 years now. It's nice to be able to get in bed or recline and not have to worry about my keyboard and mouse.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Stryc9:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

*snippity snip snip*

*Snippage*

Those two I can blame on Diablo since those are my go to PC games and I use my keyboard more often since I use hot keys a lot. I'm normally really careful with my mice for day to day use, I haven't broken a mouse in a really long time. I will say the one I slammed down was a long time ago and it had a ball, yeah that old, and the ball cracked the part of the mouse and it wouldn't work properly. Keyboards on the other hand I do go through a lot, I either have bad luck and they stop working properly or eventually certain keys won't work anymore.

My dad is the same way, but he plays Risk, and he has to replace his mouse more than me, which is weird since I click a lot more in Diablo than he does in Risk.

Yea, ball mice were a bitch, I ruined quite a few of those trying to clean them. Now I'm kind of curious to see if anyone still makes and sells them even though I have a few sitting around.

I recommend the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, it is bar none the best keyboard I've ever owned and can be had for around $40. the only downside is that it can be a bitch to clean if you have to take it apart because they found all sorts of sneaky places to hide screws. It really doesn't take that long to get used to using an ergonomic keyboard if you already type properly either.

Stryc9:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Snip IV

Yea, ball mice were a bitch, I ruined quite a few of those trying to clean them. Now I'm kind of curious to see if anyone still makes and sells them even though I have a few sitting around.

I recommend the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, it is bar none the best keyboard I've ever owned and can be had for around $40. the only downside is that it can be a bitch to clean if you have to take it apart because they found all sorts of sneaky places to hide screws. It really doesn't take that long to get used to using an ergonomic keyboard if you already type properly either.

I looking for a new mouse at the moment since most of my gaming is going to have to be on a laptop now, I use my PC for mostly work and I don't want to screw it up. I've ruined a few ball mice too, I hated those things, and I was so glad wireless mice were coming out then.

A friend of mine has that keyboard and he told me the same thing since I made the comment that it looks really cumbersome to use. I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard K340 for my PC, it's not bad for a $20 keyboard.

I could tell after the first page of this thread I could tell it was probably turning into something I wouldn't want to finish reading, but I will chime in and say that I look forward to D3 releasing on console if it eventually does. I know my current PC won't run it, and I have gotten out of PC gaming for a number of reasons and so had just kind of counted this one out and hadn't been paying attention. But like I said, if it's done and done well I look forward to it, it should be a fun trip down Nostalgia Avenue.

lol at everyone raging at eachother.
This game doesn't look nearly good enough to deserve all this arguing.

I love how I don't care since I'm getting Torchlight 2 instead.

Oh shit, PC gamers, console gamers might enjoy a game you like, HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL?

well, Diablo 3 on console could mean no always-online-DRM.

looks like I'll buy console version above PC version if there will be one.

gameplay is fun, but I'll hold out on the game until they sell the game bundled with DLCs.

Diablo dies too much only to be brought back to life for me to care.

I'm so used to Diablo II being played with a mouse that I think it's just going to be awkward to play on a controller, although that's just me. I'll probably end up playing it on my Xbox anyway seeing as my computer's having issues and I don't have time to fix it due to HSC exams in a month or so, and by then I'll have forgotten about getting it fixed or procrastinate so much it never gets done. Still, it's taken long enough so I think Blizzard owe it to gamers in general to spread the love around as many platforms as possible.

Hammeroj:

Idocreating:

Hammeroj:

Diablo 3 is designed so that you can only access 5 skills at any one time.

Wrong. Six. And even then, the fastest way to access skills on a controller only allows 4. And it's slower than it is on PCs.

o.0? wot ...
try 6 easy to use buttons at any given time, so in just using the 4 face buttons and both shoulder buttons your golden far as skills go, assuming there's a normal non skill, one skill can easily be moved to a trigger button

with quick slot items stuffed on the D pad and those near useless buttons under the sticks

see? not even out yet and i have a set up

though ironically, still not getting it
(just providing a scheme for those that are, and wondering how it'd work)

I can see where Blizzard are coming from. I played Torchlight on PC and 360 and it was more fluid on 360 I can't deny that.

I think to be honest that Blizzard know from the massive amount of anger from particualar quarters over Single Player Persistent Online Connection that they may need to focus on the consoles where DRM isn't seen as a problem and won't affect sales.

This could also be a ploy to make PC players angry enough to accept this draconian DRM and buy it to prove them wrong.

To be honest I don't think as a marketing ploy for the PC, it will work, People who want to desperately play it on the PC will play it no matter what liberties they will give away, those that stand firm will do so and those who are not interestede will not touch it at all.

Kitsuna10060:

Hammeroj:

Idocreating:

Diablo 3 is designed so that you can only access 5 skills at any one time.

Wrong. Six. And even then, the fastest way to access skills on a controller only allows 4. And it's slower than it is on PCs.

o.0? wot ...
try 6 easy to use buttons at any given time, so in just using the 4 face buttons and both shoulder buttons your golden far as skills go, assuming there's a normal non skill, one skill can easily be moved to a trigger button

with quick slot items stuffed on the D pad and those near useless buttons under the sticks

see? not even out yet and i have a set up

though ironically, still not getting it
(just providing a scheme for those that are, and wondering how it'd work)

That's just as counter intuitive as having 4 spell slots for the 1-2-3-4 buttons, and 2 more for the side buttons on the mouse. And that's extremely counter intuitive, considering the buttons are in a completely different arrangement and position.

You're getting too hung up on the number part. That's the purpose I also wrote "quickly". Guessing through your spells because the selection is counter intuitive is not quick in any sense of the word.

Mad Stalin:
Didn't they say like a week ago they weren't gonna make games for consoles? I smell delicious sellout

Frostbite3789:
Well. This seems like some mighty fine backtracking by the folks at Blizzard.

"We said cash-ins! And this feels better on a controller! So says us!"

Yeah, ok guys. Does ActiBlizzard even try anymore or are they just fucking with us extremely blatantly at this point?

Well we can't very well take them at their word.

This is the same bunch of people who told us a few years ago that the game would continue to focus on its single player, with offline single player still being a valid option.

OT: "We see ourselves as a game designer, not a console designer."

My response: Starcraft 64 for N64, and Diablo 1 for PS1.

Both absolute turds and a bastardization of the original game. I can't imagine why people would want to play a dumbed down D3, but I don't particularly care either as it doesn't effect me one bit.

CriticKitten:

Mad Stalin:
Didn't they say like a week ago they weren't gonna make games for consoles? I smell delicious sellout

Frostbite3789:
Well. This seems like some mighty fine backtracking by the folks at Blizzard.

"We said cash-ins! And this feels better on a controller! So says us!"

Yeah, ok guys. Does ActiBlizzard even try anymore or are they just fucking with us extremely blatantly at this point?

This is the same bunch of people who told us a few years ago that the game would continue to focus on its single player, with offline single player still being a valid option.

Guess they figured out how short-term the collective gamer memory is. I can almost guarantee pretty much nobody remembers that.

Hammeroj:
It's sad how predictable Blizzard is. And how full of shit. I called it the moment they started easing into the console release announcement. But also, it's fascinating how many terrible announcements they can make in a row and still get blown by the gaming community like their cum was gold.

I have not yet gotten an answer as to what's gained to outweigh what's lost by porting the game to consoles, let alone what would make it better. I suspect a reason for Wilson not being at all specific.

And before I start getting answers to my absolutely not rhetorical question, let's go over what you lose by porting (I'll be fairly general for the purposes of time-saving. Inquire if you don't understand what I mean):
A) You lose speed in any type of menu management and targeting.
B) You lose speed and convenience in selecting/executing skills.
D) You lose - literally - the second dimension when it comes to targeting. Meaning all targeting will, for the sake of speed (you do not want a charge-up targeting system), be one dimensional. A line.
E) You, being the generic console gamer, lose the ability to chat without calling people.

This is not a good thing except in the most short-sighted of views, to put it mildly.

1. Streamlined menus are a good thing. User friendly interfaces are actually popular thus making this point null.

2. Hotkeying works on a controller. I suggest looking into it.

3. I've been able to map out 16 skills on the controller before if the interface is well done. I was only able to map out 10 on Diablo 2 so I don't see the problem.

4. You'd be surprised how easy it is to target what you want with a controller. Believe it or not, we've been practicing for years.

5. I run a D&D game entirely over Xbox Live's party system. This point is nonsensical and just plain wrong.

However, on the off chance that you're trolling, good job. Otherwise, this is just sad.

Hammeroj:
That's just as counter intuitive as having 4 spell slots for the 1-2-3-4 buttons, and 2 more for the side buttons on the mouse. And that's extremely counter intuitive, considering the buttons are in a completely different arrangement and position.

You're getting too hung up on the number part. That's the purpose I also wrote "quickly". Guessing through your spells because the selection is counter intuitive is not quick in any sense of the word.

Personally, I've been able to map 16 skills on some games. They used the trigger buttons to expand the use of the basic four skills. Considering that I didn't see jumping in any of the Diablo games except as a skill, that still leaves the bumper and the D-pad.

So yea, buttons aren't a problem.

Frostbite3789:

CriticKitten:

Guess they figured out how short-term the collective gamer memory is. I can almost guarantee pretty much nobody remembers that.

Those of us who were going to buy the game to play it as an offline single player game remember it, because it's the reason we're no longer buying it. Though granted, the number of people who say that and the number of people who actually do it are two very different numbers. :p

call me wierd but i cant for thel ife of me understand how ANYTHING can feel better with controller VS mouse and keyboard. Well MAYBE some racing games.

Nothing is actually lost in porting it so nothing is added.

Actually there is something lost: good gameplay design.

Strazdas:
call me wierd but i cant for thel ife of me understand how ANYTHING can feel better with controller VS mouse and keyboard. Well MAYBE some racing games.

Heh, what are you talking about? Keyboard and mouse is really only superior in RTSs, FPSs, and simulations (mech/flight/submarine ect... complexity beyond what a controller is meant for.)

Try playing a fighter with mouse and keyboard, or a platformer. Both of those feel much better with a controller.

And nothing of value was lost, Torchlight already beat Blizzard at their own game. Now we will also have Path Of Exile which is essentially what Diablo 3 should have been from the beginning anyways.

Dual-wielding wands FTW

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or