Watch Hefty Satellite Tumble to Earth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Watch Hefty Satellite Tumble to Earth

Remember the satellite that NASA said was going to hit sometime soon? Here it comes.

NASA decommissioned the UARS satellite in 2005, and placed it in a degrading orbit. Earlier this month, the U.S. space agency declared that the 6.5 ton satellite would finally be dropping to Earth soon but that astronomers weren't exactly sure where on the planet it would land. Most of the object would burn up in the atmosphere on reentry, but some of the heavier, spherical objects might survive and make it to the surface. An amateur French astronomer near Paris has improbably captured video of UARS as it tumbles end over end in our atmosphere.

The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed. That figure is much high than NASA's target rate of 1 in 10,000 but Mark Matney, a spokesman from the Orbital Debris Program Office, says that there is nothing to worry about.

"Populated areas are a small fraction of the Earth's surface," Matney said. "Much of the Earth's surface has either no people or very few people. We believe that the risk is very modest."

UARS is still much smaller than the Skylab space station which made its uncontrolled reentry in 1979 weighing in at 169,950 lbs. or 84.5 tons or a metric crapload. A few pieces of debris from Skylab were found scattered in Australian city of Perth, but no casualties were reported even though NASA had calculated the odds of such an accident at 152 to 1.

Even if parts of the UARS will most likely be obliterated, it's pretty creepy watching it fall on top of you.

Source: BBC

Greg Tito:
The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.

Therefore, if my understanding of statistics is correct, that means one in every 3,200 people will be harmed. Which is over 2 million people worldwide! Truly NASA have no respect for human life, and only care about their vast profits.

Greg Tito:

UARS is still much smaller than the Skylab space station which made its uncontrolled reentry in 1979 weighing in at 169,950 lbs. or 84.5 tons or a metric fuckload. A few pieces of debris from Skylab were found scattered in Australian state of Perth, but now casualties were reported even though NASA had calculated the odds of such an accident at 152 to 1.

Now causalities were reported? About time!

That looked kinda freaky, but I kinda wish I could have seen it with my own eyes. Although that sounds kinda scary...

Greg Tito:
That figure is much high that NASA's target rate of 1 in 10,000

You grammar be more gooder than all people I ever have saw.

(Seriously, I'm not trying to be harsh, but shouldn't SOMEONE be proof-reading these articles?)

OT: So... Someone captured a blurry video of a hunk of scrap metal? I guess that's cool.

thenumberthirteen:

Greg Tito:
The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.

Therefore, if my understanding of statistics is correct, that means one in every 3,200 people will be harmed. Which is over 2 million people worldwide! Truly NASA have no respect for human life, and only care about their vast profits.

1 in 3200 chance means the probability is 1/3200.

No_Remainders:

Greg Tito:
That figure is much high that NASA's target rate of 1 in 10,000

You grammar be more gooder than all people I ever have saw.

(Seriously, I'm not trying to be harsh, but shouldn't SOMEONE be proof-reading these articles?)

OT: So... Someone captured a blurry video of a hunk of scrap metal? I guess that's cool.

My bad, thanks for the catches guys. Must be the painkillers ...

Greg

Yopaz:

thenumberthirteen:

Greg Tito:

Oh wow.

I saw the guy's post, and honestly didn't think anyone would take it seriously....

Just... Wow.

Greg Tito:
A few pieces of debris from Skylab were found scattered in Australian state of Perth

I live in Perth, it's a city not a state. I assume there's also supposed to be a "the" in there.
Anyway, enough nitpicking. Time to watch shit fall from space.

i well want it to land in like Paris or something and just like make a whole new landmark/crater.

of course, the odds of it hitting a specific individual are apparently 1 in 21 trillion.

Greg Tito:
NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.

well thats good.
until you realise most statistics are very likely in comparison to the chances of sentient life evolving.
like humans.

someone call superman. put it on the moon.

TrilbyWill:

Greg Tito:
NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.

well thats good.
until you realise most statistics are very likely in comparison to the chances of sentient life evolving.
like humans.

someone call superman. put it on the moon.

lol, this kind of reasoning is why the lottery works.

It'd be nice if it could crash on the head of my math teacher. fucking hate him

So that clip, was that the satellite or just a slow motion version of the Lost intro?

brunothepig:

Greg Tito:
A few pieces of debris from Skylab were found scattered in Australian state of Perth

I live in Perth, it's a city not a state...

I can see why there is some confusion... Perth alone is about 5386 kmē in size (as of 2010)

That's a BIG city!

Say what you want, NASA. All I know is that there's a satellite heading our way and it's gonna land. Somewhere. Sometime. You can't tel where it will land and neither can I. It could be in the middle of the sea or it could be on my head.

See, this is why we need laser beams! We've been wasting years and years working on dumb satellites. Now one has turned against us. Oh, the irony!

Australia sues NASA.

Reasons. Dem bitches tryna kill us!

Seriously guys, take it as a formal declaration of war.

They rain satellite chunks on you, you send 'thank you' baskets full of dangerous spiders and nasty, nasty snakes!

Fight them with what you know!

If you can see it, then you don't have to worry. It's the people over the horizon that have to worry.

Abandon4093:
Australia sues NASA.

They rain satellite chunks on you, you send 'thank you' baskets full of dangerous spiders and nasty, nasty snakes!

We already have a bunch of nasty spiders and dangerous snakes. All Oz would have to do is export their kangaroos and koalas to us. Then we will be screwed.

Loop Stricken:
of course, the odds of it hitting a specific individual are apparently 1 in 21 trillion.

Something like that. Take the odds that it will hit a person, any person. Then, if you want to calculate the odds of it hitting, say, yourself, then you multiply that 3200 by all the people on the planet. 3200 times 7 billion. Well, I think I'm pretty sa-...

samsonguy920:
If you can see it, then you don't have to worry. It's the people over the horizon that have to worry.

Abandon4093:
Australia sues NASA.

We already have a bunch of nasty spiders and dangerous snakes. All Oz would have to do is export their kangaroos and koalas to us. Then we will be screwed.

Not as nasty as ausland.

But yea, send the crocs koalas and kangaroos too, then you'll be a match set.

thenumberthirteen:

I'm sorry to have to tell you your understanding of statistics is incorrect. It actually means there's a 1 in 3200 chance of it hitting any humans at all, not that it'll hit 1 in every 3200 humans.

Oh, also back when Skylab fell, we Aussies issued the US with a fine for littering! XD

No_Remainders:

Yopaz:

thenumberthirteen:

Oh wow.

I saw the guy's post, and honestly didn't think anyone would take it seriously....

Just... Wow.

Agreed. Where do you start?

Beautiful End:
See, this is why we need laser beams! We've been wasting years and years working on dumb satellites. Now one has turned against us. Oh, the irony!

We do have lasers, there's even one in your DVD drive.

Abandon4093:
Australia sues NASA.

Well actually some satellite debris landed in the south west of Australian a few years back now, and the local council filed a lawsuit against NASA for littering.

Lizardon:

Abandon4093:
Australia sues NASA.

Well actually some satellite debris landed in the south west of Australian a few years back now, and the local council filed a lawsuit against NASA for littering.

LMAO, please tell me they won.

Abandon4093:
Snip

Turns out I had my facts wrong.

It was the same Skylab mention in the article that scattered parts across Western Australia. Some fell in the the town of Esperance, which issued a littering fine of $400 to the United States. The fined went unpaid for 30 years, until a man raised the funds and paid it on behalf of the USA in 2009.

I hope one lands in my school's roofing. I'm horribly ill and I don't think my parents will allow me to remain home.

hands up who wanted to actually see aliens instead of a 'satellite'.

Though to be honest it was pretty much as good quality as most paranormal videos you'll see.

"The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed."

That's still appallingly high.

You know, it seems to me that when NASA was still sending up shuttles, they could maybe have retrieved a few defunct satellites while they were up there. A satellite costs probably upwards of $800,000 I don't actually know, let's just say fucktons of money to manufacture and launch, so you'd think they'd be trying to retrieve and recycle some of this ludicrously expensive technology, rather than throwing up their hands and letting it disintegrate on reentry. There's been a surprising amount of waste in space technology in general. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Off-topic: My CAPTCHA was a chemical equation. A chemical equation. Really now.

catalyst8:

Beautiful End:

We do have lasers, there's even one in your DVD drive.

Pssh, that can't even hurt the rat king! What good does that do?

...Geez.

thenumberthirteen:

Greg Tito:

But, sir! They run a business! Not a petting zoo! ...

OT: Wow. That was hypnotically beautiful.

any estimation were approximately it will land? i would love to see it fall.

I bet this video will be called "a guy films UFO" in a year or so.

"As of 9:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 110 mi by 115 mi (175 km by 185 km). Re-entry is possible sometime during the afternoon or early evening of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 hours."

"The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period."

That about says it all. As long as stuff won't be raining down on North America everything is fine then.

Greg Tito:
Snip

Pain killers? That doesn't sound cool...Hope you're okay. *hugs*

I'm not sure this is something I'd want to watch, honestly. I'd be a bit paranoid. >.>

Lizardon:

Abandon4093:
Australia sues NASA.

LMFAO!!! Ooooh god i nearly died xD

Did they win? :')

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook