Call of Duty: Elite Could Make Similar Services "A Necessity"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Call of Duty: Elite Could Make Similar Services "A Necessity"

Activision believes player services like Call of Duty: Elite could keep franchises profitable for years to come.

When Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 hit shelves later this year, fans will likely argue the merits and flaws of both games until the fourth installments come out. One topic of contention will be Call of Duty: Elite vs. Battlelog, the social network/content management services that will accompany each game. Activision predicts that no matter which service comes out on top, though, the comprehensive player management service is here to stay. The company believes that five years from now, every high-profile multiplayer game will have to embrace a similar system in order to stay competitive.

"We believe that a 24/7, year-round services strategy that broadens the game experience beyond just playing is going to be a necessity," says Jamie Berger, an Activision VP. "Right now, it's an option but in three to five years, it won't be. To support a diverse player base, you will have to have a services and ongoing content strategy." Activision's own Call of Duty: Elite will be a paid service that gives subscribers early access to DLC and exclusive ancillary content. Furthermore, it will give players access to a social network of like-minded CoD players. EA's Battlelog, on the other hand, will be a free service that provides social networking and matchmaking; players will have to buy DLC separately.

By strengthening players' social ties and making it easy to manage their game add-ons, Berger is confident that these services will keep players invested in both individual games and their parent IPs. "Elite is about Call of Duty being bigger than ever five years from now and laying the groundwork for that," he explains. Meanwhile, EA is prepping FIFA 12 and Need for Speed for similar services.

Social networks and regular content packs have worked wonders for MMOs, but Call of Duty: Elite and Battlelog will likely determine whether they can present a workable model for online first-person shooters. If these services end up being profitable, franchise-specific social networks could become a fixture of multiplayer gaming.

Source: MCV

They plan to ask us to pay more money? WHO WOULD HAVE EVER SUSPECTED?!

You mean the services other games are already giving? Crazy.

Eh, I think this is just them trying to pump out their idea and make it seem like it's better then it is. I think the whole thing is fairly silly... people aren't going to want to have 10 different services for different games to have to sign-up/pay for and monitor constantly.

Eh, doubt it. For starters I can't see this doing well, pretty much everyone I know who plays CoD wants to play CoD, not faff about with this shite, especially at extra cost. Also, I don't really see how this bears on other franchises. Activision can do what they like and no one will really notice, except for maybe EA. I simply don't think most developers are that interested in attempting to compete at a large scale with Activision and it's towering success, as being smaller means that similar services won't be as successful. If there aren't enough people using it then it will stagnate and die, and it won't make a lot of money at all.

This is known as a "bad precedent". Also "extortion". They've realized they're selling digital crack and they won't stop until they have ALL the moneys.

READ: We think people are dumb enough to support our overworked franchises if we ask them to pay extra for them.

Meh, he is probably right. I don't doubt the next incarnation of MW will do fantastic in the sales department. I don't think they have a very good idea though. Lots of external services for no additional cost do the social networking and game stat tracking thing very well, for completely free.

I can't wait till Activision is no more, it'll be a long while, but it will come. EA too. I mean, there was a time Nintendo was an undisputed force in the game industry, not so much anymore.

I have no problem with free services (like BF3's apparently), but having to pay for extra stat tracking? Seems like the sort of thing that should just be included in a sequel for free. I thought that was part of the whole iterative improvements thing that endless sequels have going for them. What's next, pay extra to see match scores and K/D ratios?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bungie do this for Halo?
I may be misunderstanding but it seems like a similar thing of being able to keep up with your stats, news and to connect with others. Bungie.net did that for free.
Not a good move when not only has it already been done but they did it for less.

Baresark:
READ: We think people are dumb enough to support our overworked franchises if we ask them to pay extra for them.

The problem is ... they are right.

People ARE dumb enough to pay for it and thats exactly what they will do.

You will even have the more vocal CoD fans telling us how fantastic this 'ELITE' is and we should all be paying Activision to use it.

Is it just me, or is Activision choosing the strangest things to declare as necessities? First there was the "If you aren't running on 60fps, you may as well not try," and now there is the "if you don't have online player management, you may as well not try." It just strikes me as a bit odd.

Rawne1980:

Baresark:

You will even have the more vocal CoD fans telling us how fantastic this 'ELITE' is and we should all be paying Activision to use it.

Question:
Which is cheaper $50 or $60?
Honestly if you plan on getting all the DLC for CoD you actually would be stupid not to buy elite.

They're necessities as in no game will be taken seriously without one, not necessities as in you need to buy it to play. If they try that horse-shit I'll have no problem going back to single-player ONLY games.

They're only going to be necessities if companies like EA force them onto the market.

Would only be worth it if they had an add-on that allowed you track that certain S.O.B sniper that's always camping right on top of your spawn points.

Monthly fees for all games will only hurt games, there's a lot of people who won't pay for 2 MMO's why on earth would they want 6 different subscriptions to 6 shooters.

If it became the norm for a subscription service to be mandatory to play shooters (I know COD Elite isn't mandatory) I'd just go full hipster and hide in the indie market until it was safe to come out.

I can see people wanting a social experience from some of their games but usually we just want to go online kick some ass, have some fun and leave.

Personally I hope the whole COD Elite thing falls on its ass because it's a very stupid service to charge for, like spending £3 a month for Facebook or Steam.

I'm kind of surprised Activision reps don't express years in Calls of Duty.

Guess who's not paying for either service?

<--THIS GUY!

Seriously, during a economic DEPRESSION these idiots roll out crap like this?

Are...they...high?

Rednog:

Rawne1980:

Baresark:

Question:
Which is cheaper $50 or $60?
Honestly if you plan on getting all the DLC for CoD you actually would be stupid not to buy elite.

You know you will still have to pay for DLC, plus the game and then pay for using Elite.

I'm not going to start the name game and abusing people but I do think Activision are milking their 'fans' and ripping them off and the fans are throwing money at them willingly and smiling while they do it.

Now if thats what they want to do then thats fine by me but you can count me and my sanity out.

Rawne1980:

You know you will still have to pay for DLC, plus the game and then pay for using Elite.

Please provide the proof for this.
(Hint you are absolutely wrong).
My proof: Go to point 10.

Rednog:

Rawne1980:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-preview/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/hands-on-with-activision-s-elite-call-of-duty-social-network.aspx

No where in any article does it say anything about free DLC in fact, when have you known Activision to give anything away for free.

People will get early access to DLC and access to all of it but the chances of it being free are about the same as my shit turning into £20 notes.

People seem to think Activision have suddenly turned into benevolent beings and will throw content at Elite users like candy.

How naive.

They will milk this for every penny they can get and people will pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a bloody big shock.

(Hint, Activision are a business and nothing is ever free especially with companies like that)

Rawne1980:

Rednog:

Rawne1980:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-preview/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/hands-on-with-activision-s-elite-call-of-duty-social-network.aspx

No where in any article does it say anything about free DLC in fact, when have you known Activision to give anything away for free.

People will get early access to DLC and access to all of it but the chances of it being free are about the same as my shit turning into £20 notes.

People seem to think Activision have suddenly turned into benevolent beings and will throw content at Elite users like candy.

How naive.

They will milk this for every penny they can get and people will pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a bloody big shock.

(Hint, Activision are a business and nothing is ever free especially with companies like that)

So your proof is linking to outdated articles that basically say hey we got a sneak peak at the elite service but we have no clue what you will payfor. While my proof linked directly to the Elite site which stated exactly what you paid for and I actually pointed out what to read to prove you wrong...and you ignore it?
Here I drew a pretty picture in MS paint for you

Rednog:

So your proof is linking to outdated articles that basically say hey we got a sneak peak at the elite service but we have no clue what you will payfor. While my proof linked directly to the Elite site which stated exactly what you paid for and I actually pointed out what to read to prove you wrong...and you ignore it?

Oh dear, give me strength.

Of course you get to keep the bloody DLC BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE PAID FOR IT.

It's not FREE, you will still pay money from your bank account into Activisions for access to that DLC.

How have you managed to get 'the dlc is free' out of 'you get to keep it after your membership has expired'?

So thankyou for doing a big picture higlighting exactly what i've now told you 3 times. Nothing is ever free.

It's what, $50 for Elite. So for that you get DLC and access to everything you basically had before Elite but a little bit extra. Now that $50 is yearly?

Now we all know Activision. Somewhere, somehow there will be more costs. They never do anything they won't make a massive profit from.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you we all know by now they like to make money. If something looks like it's too good to be true then chances are that it is.

I'm not taking anything as gospel until i've seen what it's like after it starts running properly and if Activision are going to charge for extras which a lot of us think they will.

Rawne1980:

Rednog:

Oh dear, give me strength.

Of course you get to keep the bloody DLC BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE PAID FOR IT.

It's not FREE, you will still pay money from your bank account into Activisions for access to that DLC.

How have you managed to get 'the dlc is free' out of 'you get to keep it after your membership has expired'?

So thankyou for doing a big picture higlighting exactly what i've now told you 3 times.

Your initial claim is that the DLC and the elite are 2 different costs, they are not. The elite service's costs come from the DLC and bonus content.
All the stat tracking all the other other stuff that games like Halo provide come with the free version of CoD elite.
How is this not getting across, the CoD elite paid version gives you access to not only the DLC ahead of time but you get it automatically with the paid service, and it isn't a case of oh you stopped subscribing so you don't get the DLC anymore, you keep the DLC that came with the elite service. If you have the paid elite service you don't have to buy the DLC seperately.
So your claim of the cost being DLC+Game+Elite service is wrong.
And you're bashing Activision on this why?
Epic has the Season Pass for gears of war 3, it is the exact same concept.
Battlefield 3 is charging $15 for its DLC, the same cost as each CoD DLC.

The unfortunate thing is that they will keep trying to raise this bar until they find the sweet spot of "what people will pay"/"what it costs to make". It is their job as a business.

The best one can hope for is that a rival game will provide the same services for free and they will have to implement them to stay competitive.

Rednog:

Your initial claim is that the DLC and the elite are 2 different costs, they are not. The elite service's costs come from the DLC and bonus content.
All the stat tracking all the other other stuff that games like Halo provide come with the free version of CoD elite.
How is this not getting across, the CoD elite paid version gives you access to not only the DLC ahead of time but you get it automatically with the paid service, and it isn't a case of oh you stopped subscribing so you don't get the DLC anymore, you keep the DLC that came with the elite service. If you have the paid elite service you don't have to buy the DLC seperately.

I take your point and I apologise for not being a bit more clear.

I edited my post above but allow me to elaborate.

Activision have never ... NEVER ... done anything that will benefit the customer over their shareholders.

everything they do is with the intent of making a lot of money. If they have a chance of milking more money out of this Elite type thing then some of us believe that they will.

Until it's been put into practice and been going for a few months i'm not taking that $50 all inclusive as the final price. You seem intelligent you must know if Activision can squeeze a bit of extra cash out somewhere they will do.

I apologise for being argumentative my initial thoughts were wrong and you were right for that i'm sorry.

I just don't think we've seen the last of the prices just yet.

Hasn't Bungie.com been doing what Elite has been doing... for five years... with the exact same look... for free?

I really hate to say this. And I'm usually the first to bash all thing CoD related. But the Elite service is a pretty good deal for those who are truly dedicated to the CoD gaming scene.

You couldn't give me an account with them. But if I were a fan, I'd be first in line. Bottom line is this: if you're seriously into a game then the more content you have access to, the better. And since the service includes the DLC, which most players will want to get anyway, I say "why not". I know when I buy a Halo game, I buy it with the full intention of playing it until it's worn completely out. And that includes the DLC. I'd imagine many CoD players are the same with their game.

I'm a little less keen this type of thing the way Gears did it. "Buy a Season pass even though you have NO IDEA what DLC we may release! down the line" is a little less appealing. Even further down the line is Forza's "season pass" option which will gouge players for an extra 30 bones on day one after they spend $60-$80 on the game and it too offers no explanation of what may come. But I'm getting off topic here.

To summarize; I don't care for CoD much and I don't particularly like Activision either. But the CoD Elite model seems to give players more options for basically the same money they were already spending. It just asks for the investment in a slightly different way.

AlphaEcho:
Hasn't Bungie.com been doing what Elite has been doing... for five years... with the exact same look... for free?

Actually it's been 7 years (Since Halo 2 in 2004). But since the Elite subscription includes the DLC most CoD fans buy anyway, it's not really that big of a deal. (IMO)

Haha what? $50 a year per game for things we get free already will become a necessity? Doubt it.

I just dont have the time for all this Jazz anymore, its becoming a full time hobby keeping up with all this stuff. I'm ditching both of them this year and getting Uncharted 3 for Multiplayer, along with Batman, Dark Souls and Skyrim. That should easily take me into the New Year.

Its funny when I was younger I had nothing but time and no money and now I can buy whatever game I like but have no time to play them in.

This is why I play games Like Limbo or Bastion but if you have time and cash to invest then Elite sounds okay I guess

Baresark:

Meh, he is probably right. I don't doubt the next incarnation of MW will do fantastic in the sales department. I don't think they have a very good idea though. Lots of external services for no additional cost do the social networking and game stat tracking thing very well, for completely free.

I can't wait till Activision is no more, it'll be a long while, but it will come. EA too. I mean, there was a time Nintendo was an undisputed force in the game industry, not so much anymore.

Tell that to Nintendo's profit margins. Obviously they lost the prestige of being the best, but not the raking in obscene amounts of dosh aspect. But to be honest I think this sounds like a good service, but not one you should pay for, seeing as it's already being done by various websites online. I don't want EA and Activision to go away because we do get some very good games from them. I just want them to stop acting so cartoonishly villainous.

Magicmad5511:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bungie do this for Halo?
I may be misunderstanding but it seems like a similar thing of being able to keep up with your stats, news and to connect with others. Bungie.net did that for free.
Not a good move when not only has it already been done but they did it for less.

Most big name games out there already have sites set up for stat tracking and whatnot.
I think what makes Activision's CoD tracker different, is the "extra" things like videos and celebrity thingies.
I won't trash talk it until I see it and use it, but I know already I won't renew my subscription for it when it runs out.
Only reason I am getting it in the first place, is cuz I get it for a steal with all the extra goodies I get in my special edition.

What happened to the good old days when I bought a game and just got to enjoy it?

It seems people can't research, as all the stat tracking and all that is free, while only the DLC and shows are paid for, and even then, it's a good deal for the DLC alone, and considering the money going for it, the shows are probably going to be good too. This post will probably be ignored like the others saying the same thing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here