Mojang and Bethesda Are Going to Court

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Bethesda: Pro-Cunts.

Seriously? I mean...

Better sue the Mexicans that name their kids Jesus because 'devoted fans' get confused as to which one to pray to.

Last I checked you couldn't copyright part of your game title but all of it. So someone quickly make a game called The Elder and see where it goes. I mean who doesn't want to play a 90 old grandpa yelling at children to get off his lawn meanwhile upping his xp to do more crazier shit. Like for instance pouring a bucket of piss all over his porch and sidewalk so the kids won't go on although that would clearly be a tier 3 skill of bat-shit-craziness

I want to copyright 'of' in that case.

Activision, Epic, Sony and others would all owe me royalties for Call of Duty, Gears of War, God of War.

Oh...and Sony didn't sue Epic over the 'of War' part. I wonder why that is?

I hope that Mojang wins because Bethesda shouldn't own a word.

I don't really care about Mojang, but I hope Bethesda get counter sued and lose a billion for their bullying.

Rawne1980:

Charli:

I really hope some sensible executive in Bethseda realizes what's going down soon and slaps their overeager lawyers with a fish fast.

Not to be the one to point out the painfully obvious but it IS the 'sensible' executives that are bringing the case to court.

The lawyers can only do what Bathesda execs tell them to do. They couldn't have made the case without the top dog at Bathesda giving them the nod.

People, stop blaming the lawyers for doing their jobs and start looking at the guys and gals working at Bathesda. It's them that want the court case the lawyers are just doing as they are told.

Not necessarily, some companies leave their legal department up to the decisions of a few. It won't always be a conscious unanimous decision by the entire board, usually because most of them just don't care enough/are busy, and it is up to the lawyers and legal department to justify their actions to these executives with the proof, they've clearly bullshit enough to get this approved and I find that just utterly laughable.

There is no way you can mistake the two if you even had an inkling of sense.

And there would have to be enough other cases of this, there are far too many games with "like names" where no action has been taken, I get the feeling no judge will touch this with a 10foot long hammer anyway, I can see why Notch is just making smiley faces at the thing.

I have to be honest. When I saw the trailer, I could see why Bethesda would be upset. Watching it, my first thought was that Scrolls was going to be a free roam RPG.

I don't think suing is exactly the right way to go, but I can see why it could confuse people (based on the name recognition and the trailer alone). I thought it was going to be very similar to The Elder Scrolls until I read more about it.

I don't even refer to the elder scrolls games as Elder, Scrolls, or even Elder Scrolls. I'd rather just call them Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Ser Imp:
The case against Mojang's Scrolls is paper thin. Persson should counter sue Bethesda just for emotional distress and compensation for lost productivity due to these pointless court hearings.

I would fucking LOVE this.

It'd be hilarious watching Bethesda getting their asses handed to them, despite the fact that they seem to spend about 90% of their time finding new ways to try to sue people.

Don't you just love how everyone wants to get a lawsuit just for product similarities anymore? Personally, I don't know what Bethesda is bitching about. Hell, do they even know how many items are named similarly if not exactly the same in this world? They'd lose count. If you were to search online for how many people shared someone's EXACT name you could get at least 10,000 hits of info. Bethesda is being childish and trying to act like a bully. I support Mojang in this case, not just for the sheer stupidity of what they're being charged for, but also because Notch was very lenient in terms of resolving this conflict without having to resort to a lawsuit. But no, Bethesda wouldn't have it. God it's like taking a child to a grocery store and he or she wants a specific flavor and brand of ice cream, but the parent didn't want to deviate from the budget he or she set forth, so he or she suggested the generic or a different type of ice cream. However that brand isn't what the child wanted therefore, he or she begins to throw a temper tantrum. Plus I don't think the customer base is really THAT stupid or inattentive Bethesda. I think we're smart enough to figure out that a game simply called "Scrolls" was different from "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim". If anything you're the stupid ones, making assumptions of a population that you don't even know, nor care to know about.

Who calls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim Elder Scrolls anyway? Mojang should win of course! saying that I am a fan of Bethesda's games but this is ridiculous.

Notch had the right idea. Suing people is stupid. Everything should be settled by way of a Quake Deathmatch.

Hashbrick:
Last I checked you couldn't copyright part of your game title but all of it. So someone quickly make a game called The Elder and see where it goes. I mean who doesn't want to play a 90 old grandpa yelling at children to get off his lawn meanwhile upping his xp to do more crazier shit. Like for instance pouring a bucket of piss all over his porch and sidewalk so the kids won't go on although that would clearly be a tier 3 skill of bat-shit-craziness

That sounds like it would actually be a pretty fun iPhone game. XD

Simeon Ivanov:
What happened to the Quake Deathmatch?

I'm disappointed too, that would have been awesome.

I'm not supporting Mojang because I like them or because they're the underdog getting bullied by the big evil company, it's just that this lawsuit is ridiculous and it shouws how stupid Bethesda thinks its playerbase is.
Also, user comments? From Youtube or what? It doesn't even matter actually. Wherever they take them from, user comments are so easily to fake and sarcasam is sometimes really hard to notice on the internet that they should never be able to present user comments as evidence. I just hope the court understands that.
I still don't get why Bethesda is willing to get such bad reputation (especially so short before the release of Skyrim) only for something as stuid as this. Honestly, how many people refer to the games as "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"? I don't even remember when I or others have ever said that, it's always just "Oblivion" or "Skyrim". There is no resemblence at all between Skyrim and Scrolls. That leaves me only with the conclusion that they think we're all idiots.

ahah silly bethesda...european courts arent a playground. youre fuckin lucky the judge doesnt charge you with shit for wasting court time and resources.

Bethesda are being fucking stupid. You can't just have copyright on the word "Scrolls". They didn't invent it. They haven't made a game named scrolls. Barely anyone even uses the term Elder Scrolls. No one ever says ES: Oblivion. It's just Oblviion, or Morrowind etc.

Andy Chalk:
According to Kaplan, Bethesda's lawyers plan to use user comments about Scrolls videos, articles about the game and even screen shots to prove that gamers are likely to confuse Scrolls with the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Can Mojang then use the user comments where gamers said "LOL I went to the Bethesda booth and asked them where Notch is!" or "Spent half an hour asking Skyrim demo guy about Scrolls. ROFLCOPTER!" as proof that the evidence is 95% people trolling Bethesda?

When it became obvious (from where I sit anyway) that the Skyrim demo people had been trained to answer Scrolls-is-not-Elder-Scrolls questions I think the trolls should've realized that this was big-boy business, but... sigh, trolls amirite?

I wish him luck; regrettably, even Anon_Guy_1337 stating (Made Up Word Here) is a racial slur on Urban Dictionary has been used in court cases to great effect. Ignorance on the part of jurors or those with granted power to make executive decisions makes this so.

Paragon Fury:
Good for Bethesda.

I hope they get to see Mojang driven before them.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree. Too many Mojang fanboys on here, crying over this. Mojang should just change the name. I mean, "Scrolls"? Really? Show some imagination, plug.

So being really sucky at law BUT what do mojang have to prove? Isn't it up to bethesda to prove that people indeed are confusing scrolls for the elder scrolls franchise?

Huh, if this was EA instead of Bethesda suing over something this silly, the internet will be set alight with rage, everyone boycotting the old republic and the next dragon age game, comparing EA to the devil and slandering origin for some reason. Some developers like Bethesda and others *Cough* Valve *Cough* get free passes when they pull dick moves I suppose.

I may be hated for this, but I am actually on Bethesda's side. Scrolls and Elder Scrolls are indeed very similar and looking at the picture above, [crolls seems to be an RPG...some people might actually think there is a connection.
Unless said scrolls play an essential part in your game, just change the name!

Edit: One thing I agree with, however, is that a Quake Deathmatch would be a much better way of settling this. Sitting down, playing the game and the winner wins the case, like gentlemen.

Know what I called Morrowwind? I CALL IT MORROWWIND.
Know what I called Oblivion? I CALL IT OBLIVION.
Know what I call ths lawsuit? I CALL IT A TRAVESTY.

This is stupid. This makes me lose a little respect for Bethesda. What if NBC had sued George Lucas because Star Wars and Star Trek have the same first name.

It's sad, because Bethesda had the perfect chance to save face with the gamer community by accepting the Quake 3 Deathmatch. Heck, Streaming it live probably would of pulled in a huge crowd, especially to make up for threatening to sue Mojang in the first place.

But now they are just souring their appearance. I mean, I for one don't feel like getting any Bethesda game anymore (a shame considering Skyrim looks interesting), at least for a long while.

Also, why does it seem like Companies never look to Gamer Communities to see how things are going. If anyone at Bethesda had looked at some gamer sites (like, say, the Escapist) they would see two things: A)People aren't confusing the games and B)No one is liking Bethesda for this.

Anyways, I hope Mojang wins (as they should and hopefully will) and Bethesda won't have any of their games sitting in my place for a while.

Cat of Doom:
Huh, if this was EA instead of Bethesda suing over something this silly, the internet will be set alight with rage, everyone boycotting the old republic and the next dragon age game, comparing EA to the devil and slandering origin for some reason. Some developers like Bethesda and others *Cough* Valve *Cough* get free passes when they pull dick moves I suppose.

You only get as much hate proportional to the idiotic hateful stunts you pull. EA has done FAR worser things than those 2 companies. Hence why it gets more hate from the interwebz.

nixonsnow:

Paragon Fury:
Good for Bethesda.

I hope they get to see Mojang driven before them.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree. Too many Mojang fanboys on here, crying over this. Mojang should just change the name. I mean, "Scrolls"? Really? Show some imagination, plug.

They demand changing the name and compensation.
Which is just fucking around.

That's why people are backing Mojang, not because of fanboy-ism.

aww... i wanted to see the Quake 3 duel.
OT: i've read up some legal precedents since i first heard about this case (not for fun obviously) and i think Bethesda might win.
Apple Corps (who own Apple Records) took Apple Computer to court over 1 word (Apple) and Apple Computer didnt change names because they werent in the music business. Bethesda and Mojang are both in the games industry.
dont look at me like that, i didnt say they werent wanksacks.

Bloodstain:
I may be hated for this, but I am actually on Bethesda's side. Scrolls and Elder Scrolls are indeed very similar and looking at the picture above, [crolls seems to be an RPG...some people might actually think there is a connection.
Unless said scrolls play an essential part in your game, just change the name!

http://penny-arcade.smugmug.com/photos/i-3tjGvxt/0/L/i-3tjGvxt-XL.jpg

Ironically, the Elder Scrolls games have almost NOTHING to do with scrolls.

I really wonder what would happen if say Activision or EA or one of the other big boys was releasing this game if they would try this. I mean does mojang just look like a ripe low hanging fruit full of money from an intensely popular game? alot of people liked oblivion and morrowind, alot of people like minecraft more. and minecraft didn't have a surcharge of 300$ for the new graphics card needed to play it. so yeah.

Seriously this just smacks of a big company trying to muscle out competition and in this case i really don't think bethesda is going to come out on top in this. the last thing they need is to alienate a large segment of the gaming population on the eve of skyrim.

Cat of Doom:

The only reason everyone is getting so emo about this on here is because they're all fanboys of Mojang...last years winner for "Best Game Company" or whatever the title was, on this site. They beat out legitimate game companies because of one game. Really? Way too many fanboys.

Cat of Doom:

Its because people like Bethesda and Valve.

Bethesda are being fucking stupid. Not only because their case is paper-thin, but also because they are going to get alot of hate from gamers for being such dicks.

I don't know anyone who calls "The Elder Scrolls", "Scrolls". I've always seen a Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim(never heard anyone talk about games before Morrowind) used for individual games in conversation and TES for the games collectively.

Hope Mojang win this tbh. Just plain bullying by a bigger company that needs to be stopped.

Aiden_the-Joker1:
I do not think Bethesda will win this court case. I mean can you actually patent the use of an everyday word? And everyone I know does not even call them the elder scrolls we call them by their subtitle names.

You have a case if the word might mislead people into thinking it's one of your games, like in that recent game that was called something like Battlefield Academy. Even though people love hating on EA (and more often than not with reason), the fact that games in the Battlefield series are usually called Battlefield: Something meant it could be confusing.

Not the case here.

Then again, they'll be charged under Swedish law, which I know nothing about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here