Graphics Card Drivers To Blame For Rage's PC "Issues"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

ciasteczkowyp:
The laughable "company" responsible for fallout and elder scrolls epic BUGS now blames GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS on their own lack of SKILL.

Uh... id was making Rage LONG before they were owned by Bethesda's PUBLISHER, not to be confused with Bethesda the development team. Theres really no need to group them together in this comparison.

*raises hand* Hi. Yeah, quick question: Is the Xbox version this bad? Cause I still kinda want it...

They can say whatever they want, the fact that the game is poorly ported to PC is obvious, yes I said ported, since its not a secret that their focus was development for consoles, and it shows.

To this moment I probably spent more than 4-6 hours total playing around with console commands, launch parameters and different community fixes to all the problems the game is having at the moment.

Luckily I managed to get rid of most texture issues I had, and I am using an Nvidia card, ATI users got it even worse. I say luckily, because to this moment there was ZERO support from ID or Bethesda in this, all the fixes are thanks to the community of people who are familiar with ID's engines and console commands.

Yes the problem does lie in the drivers, but developers are to blame for not delivering easy to use configuration options, the configuration menu you get in game is a joke, and wont help you with your problems, and most users are not that savvy to know how to play around default configurations by using obscure console commands, creating cache folders the game forgot to make and custom configuration files.

Cmon, at least help your customers a little, this is just not cool.

PS:
My first reaction to RAGE was rage, or what I thought was close to rage, ironic. The game looked worse than an amateur Unreal 3 engine game with poorly optimized texture streaming. I run i7 930 with two ASUS ENGTX480 cards in SLI, total 3gigs of video memory and 12gigs of ram, Windows 7 64 and a bunch of SSD drives. I think I should be able to scale the game configuration appropriately so it does not treat my system as an Xbox 360 with its "smart" auto detection system, without having to spend hours dancing around my PC chanting some obscure spells trying to summon demons and sacrificing my precious time which I have so little of.

theonlyblaze2:
*raises hand* Hi. Yeah, quick question: Is the Xbox version this bad? Cause I still kinda want it...

If the metacritic score is anything to go by, nope.

I know this is one of the flaws with PC gaming but you can only blame drivers so much and the texture pop up lag is horrendously bad looking at the video along with some of those other disgraceful screen shots.

The game could have been better tested.

I do have to ask what is with the options menu for graphics? This isn't or shouldn't be a console game as PC gamers like and need to change and play around with graphics to find the sweet spot for their computer to run the game with their preferred balance of performance and graphics.

I suppose only a PC dev would think to put this kinda stuff in though.

Choo choo here comes the console port hate train, chugga chugga choo choo!

Honestly this this is something that should have been caught in testing. They must have only used their own development machines and not branched out to other system. Depending on how abundant the problem is, that ranges from understandable to unforgivable in testing.

Yes blame the consumer, that always goes over well.

Soviet Heavy:
I enjoyed the part where he tried to change his graphics settings. I haven't seen an options menu so barren since The Force Unleashed came to PC.

I laughed at it, too. Particularly at the way he lets us see it for a second, then, "I'd love to."

they cut out bits of the single player campaign and people expect them to care ... heh oh yeah that makes sense.

totally not optimized for performance :/

wait what did I just say...lol I'm tired

still, feeling that Rage will help do what Borderlands isn't for me right now

I actually thought the slow rendering textures was in part due to my low-end pc being 4 years old now (despite the fact that I can play pretty much everything on high to max on it) and the lack of any graphical settings coupled with the above mentioned issue a quirk of the new engine that automatically sort of adjusts it's detail level on the go in order to maintain a good framerate. But no, guess it's just a crappy game/driver. Sweet.

I dunno man, the AMD beta drivers made a huge difference on my performance. I was getting 30-40fps, and now I get a solid 60 FPS with no texture pop-in at all. I get a few glitches here and there, but the game looks great otherwise.

That's just the nature of OpenGL on AMD cards. nVidia didn't have so many problems since their beta drivers were out before the game's release.

Bethesda does not have a QA department. That's the only reason why something this shoddy could have been allowed to see the light of day. id Software may have developed it, but I think the publisher needs to see the final product before they hit the "launch" button.

Mkay, then I seem to have been wrong. Sorry guys, I thought that rage was made by the same guys responsible for fallouts.

I have been playing this game for hours, I have yet to have a CTD using the BF3 beta drivers... And the game is awesome! Even with a few textures popping a fraction of a second late the game has been very awesome with nods to other great games as well.

Versuvius:
Honestly? I call bollocks. Who the fuck releases a game when the drivers dont exist to run it? Why can't players adjust the resolution? In fact, why can't players tinker with any aspect of the graphics? Please, iD, just throw your hands up and accept the fucking flakk that you messed up and fix this shit.

prettymuch.

honestly how can you even call it a finished product when people have to wait for some future driver to play it..
clearly this port was more rushed and botched than most
it's a complete joke.

and no it has nothing to do with the drivers, id it has to do with your game not being compatible with anything in existence

and obviously, it wont run if it isnt compatible with existing equipment / drivers
that's the most broken logic i've ever had the misfortune to hear.

Cowabungaa:
Truth, I'm not trying to defend id here, but AMD did upload faulty drivers that only made it worse by the looks of it.

Regardless, the game's not out here for another two days. They better come up with something quick. I pre-ordered because it looked really polished, I had faith in Rage. I really didn't expect something like this.

To maybe assuage some of your worries, I got the game on launch day, and I've put ~4 hours into it so far and haven't encountered a single bug, texture pop-in or other issue. It's run beautifully on my machine, and I'm quite happy with it (not quite as happy about work keeping me from playing it, but hey, it's an imperfect world).

I do have a beastly rig though, which may be part of it.

MatthewAmirault:

Sud0_x:
Hoping to see some honest, unbiased, user reviews appear soon!

I've never understood the attitude that the bugs a game launches with should not factor in to reviews. If I bought a game with the expectation of being blown away by graphics, and I was instead watching the scene visibly filling itself in, I would rate the product very poorly (in the 1-4 range, depending on how good the other components were).

Those words didn't come out of my mouth...
That wasn't my sentiment at all.

I sure hope that's out of 5.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-c2QuKj_fA I can really see the "stunning visuals" :\ F you Id, F you Bethesda :\

Agayek:
To maybe assuage some of your worries, I got the game on launch day, and I've put ~4 hours into it so far and haven't encountered a single bug, texture pop-in or other issue. It's run beautifully on my machine, and I'm quite happy with it (not quite as happy about work keeping me from playing it, but hey, it's an imperfect world).

I do have a beastly rig though, which may be part of it.

Well, my PC is powerful enough to run modern games maxed out as well, but apparently it's mostly an AMD card issue, even the high-end ones. Something to do with OpenGL and AMD not really liking each other, I don't know.

Regardless, I still hope the game falls on my doormat today or tomorrow and that AMD and id together have fixed those driver issues.

...And this is why people own consoles!

Yeah i'm going to say if you make a game that doesn't gel with any graphic cards drivers out there that is more of your fault than anyone else.
If everything else runs fine and your game doesn't that makes them wrong/

I have the latest nvidia beta driver and it still looks like shit. Pc developers should have been fired.
p.s. This is a really dick move, blaming the card manufacturers for their failure and disinterest.

That's gonna destroy the initial PC sales... Nice work, Bethesda, id or whoever did the porting. Sure, if everything else fails, blame it on the GPU manufacturers... On both of them.

id already had a pretty beaten reputation, I don't think they can afford mistakes like these anymore, even if it's not their fault directly. To think that they were pioneers of PC gaming once... How low do the titans fall. I just hope the game, once it's properly patched is actually worth the trouble.

So a public relations rep for a game company has absolutely lied through his teeth, or in general called everyone but ID stupid for the disaster they are facing. Considering my graphics card's software gets updated on the regular schedule of 6-12 months, I'd have to say ID is really talking out their ass at this point.

Game companies need to stop treating these businesses like games. And start firing employees who can't comprehend that fact.

You make a game then blame drivers for it not working on the hardware you made it for....... rrriiiigghhhhhhtttttttt.

I'm still shocked that people buy games from Bethesda at release. They never work as intended. Wait for the GOTY edition, some of the bugs will be worked out by then.

At least its not as bad as the newvegas saving issue.

]DustArma[:

Madd the Sane:
I think it's id that really likes OpenGL, correct me if I'm wrong. The main problem is that most big game developers don't have an OpenGL port unless they're doing cross-platform work. Since nobody is doing any work on it, Graphic Card companies like AMD and NVidia haven't really stressed tested them strongly enough. So people keep not developing games using OpenGL... It's a big catch-22. If the PC port of RAGE is using OpenGL and advanced OpenGL functions, it might be pushing current drivers to their max, and most Graphics Card companies didn't think that would happen.

And to add a bonus point to that, AMD is not exactly known for their great OpenGL support (it's actually rather shitty) which explains why AMD users are having more issues.

Yeah...the problem I have is that OpenGL, while not as consistent as a proprietary standard (Direct3D for example) still lets the user tweak the system to their needs. I use OpenGL frontends for a number of older games, and when I update my video drivers, I only very rarely have to tinker with the rendering options at all.

So either this is a colossal fuckup on AMD's part (not defaulting to a driver that has support for an older build of OpenGL; such as the one used in the game's development) or id Software is getting really damn sloppy.

Either way; bad shit brother.

Well maybe you should test your fucking game then?

How the fuck does a company as big as Id get away with such glaring incompetence.

It's just embarrassing, and this is a company that forged itself on the PC.

EverythingIncredible:
The last time I heard this was with Brink. Which was a Bethesda published game.

How come these issues just so happen to crop up with Bethesda's games? Could it be Bethesda's lax policy on extensive bug testing?...naaaaaaaaaaah

PUBLISHED! NOT DEVELOPED! I don't understand how a website dedicated to video games can have so many members who can't even make the clear distinction between publishing and developing. If you want to blame anyone blame id. But I guess you won't because it's the cool thing to do to bash Bethesda, especially after Notch made some retard decisions that made his legions of sheep bleat that "Bethesda sucks". Honestly, if you wanna give someone shit at least make sure they're the ones responsible. Not their publishers or their legal team. If you wanna complain about Oblivion bugs then go ahead, at least they're the ones responsible for those.

bjj hero:
I'm still shocked that people buy games from Bethesda at release. They never work as intended. Wait for the GOTY edition, some of the bugs will be worked out by then.

At least its not as bad as the newvegas saving issue.

From Id, published by Bethesda. DEVELOPED by Id. The more you know.

Undead Dragon King:
Bethesda does not have a QA department. That's the only reason why something this shoddy could have been allowed to see the light of day. id Software may have developed it, but I think the publisher needs to see the final product before they hit the "launch" button.

Or maybe they were shown the console version, which works fine. Like the review on the escapist that uses the console version and makes no reference to the bugs in the PC version so you might not even know this problem exists.

ElectrifiedSorcerer:
I'm really beginning to think that Bethedsa and Ubisoft are run by time-travelers who have come from a future where their families have been massacred by gaming pc's

It was developed by Id, published by Bethesda. AKA Bethesda does publicity, box art, logistics for selling the game, and Id makes the game. Jeez you guys should really know more about your hobbies, this is basic.

Quellist:
I seem to remember Morrowind for the Xbox had a whole catalog of bugs in it. Was pretty amusing reading lists of workarounds on a console game.

Guess Bethesda is the pioneer of buggy shit

I seem to remember Bethesda is only the publisher, aka publicity, financing, and not making the game. The more you know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher

tehroc:

Prof.Beany:

ciasteczkowyp:
The laughable "company" responsible for fallout and elder scrolls epic BUGS now blames GRAPHIC CARD DRIVERS on their own lack of SKILL.

Whats up with nobody in these forums having heard of Id or knowing what a PUBLISHER is?

Yeah they are the ones who are responsible for games being pushed out the door before they are fully polished in order to comply with shareholder meetings. Publishers are the reason gaming is in a poor state (brown shooter era).

Or maybe you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors? Maybe Bethesda had a deadline and Id dicked around and ran out of time for testing or something. All I know is that the developing part of the game is messed up and Id is the developer, AKA responsible for making the game. Maybe it really is Bethesda's fault but I know that making the game wasn't their job in the first place, so my blame is going to the people who didn't do their jobs well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here