Skyrim Bug Turned Chickens Into Informants

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Skyrim Bug Turned Chickens Into Informants

Be careful whose eggs you steal; chickens can also be stool pigeons in Skyrim.

If you read the story about Bethesda not fixing amusing bugs and wondered what sort of bugs it was talking about, then try this one for size: a recent bug in Skyrim caused the game's chickens to report crimes to the town guards.

Bethesda's Todd Howard said that the design team started getting caught for crimes more often than they should have, and that it wasn't immediately obvious what was going on. "'Why are we getting caught?' 'Oh, the chickens are reporting the crimes!' he joked. "That actually took us a while to track down, that bug. Like, 'Why is this happening?'"

Sadly, despite being incredibly entertaining, the bug, which Howard attributed to the game's Radiant Story system, was fixed. However, several amused fans have vowed to mod it back in, so if you want chickens to rat you out, it might be worth picking up the PC version of the game. Perhaps Bethesda itself could add it in as part of a DLC quest: a crazed wizard who has enchanted all the animals in a local village perhaps, or a strange daedric curse that has turned a family into poultry.

Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: PC Gamer

(Image)

Hmm, talk about knowing something fowl going down.

But other than that, awesome find, would love to see the full Bug report :)

Wait, people have to report you for crimes now? The LAW isn't all powerful?

They don't immediately peg me as criminal scum?!

Never trust a chick to keep her mouth shut :P

Frostbite3789:

Welcome to several months ago - yep, you've got to be reported and there's also a separate bounty for each of the 9 or so areas.

Those are the best kind of bugs surely, though wasn't there a similiar problem in Oblivion with stolen horses reporting themselves as stolen to guards?

Frostbite3789:

Apparently not!
This is good. Very, very good... MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
Also, if modding becomes possible on consoles (God I hope so), then I'd install some mod to get this back in,
I'd now have a legitimate excuse to kill chickens!
Captcha: 0.27x titratio...
I don't want to know what's on captcha's mind.

Hey Bethesda horses in Oblivion still report you for stealing them. Got round to fixing that one yet?

I better not have to approach chickens from the back to steal them.

Finally, a system that makes sense. This is how all systems should work. Someone has to see you committing the crime and report it to the police.

That's fucking hilarious. I mean, yeah, it makes the game much more difficult, and I'm glad it's fixed, but that's pretty damn funny.

I'm glad this mod was removed, I had to be careful enough when I committed crimes in Oblivion without worrying what the chickens were saying.

That's one that's likely better off fixed, even if funny. It might be funny at first. But it would get old pretty quickly.

As far as amusing bugs go, this is a good one. Glad it was found though.

Has me wondering how hard debugging actually is for these kinds of projects. Cause as far as is know (which isn't all that much I admit) you'd need to add a break point to the function that alters the players "wanted" status so you can trace it back to the object that changed it. Though doing that would require at least a partial recompile of the project which could take some time.

I love how Bethesda are using this whole "bugs are funny" ruse to pull the wool over people's eyes because they know that Skyrim is going to have bugs up the wazoo, and with their fantastic QA skills will not be able to fix all of them, or even a good amount of them.

It doesn't matter how funny they are; bugs are still bugs.

This reminds me of the time I took a petal from a flower in an inn in Ald Rhun in Morrowind, and everyone in the room attacked me, for being a no good thief. Either that or they were from Greenpeace.

ChupathingyX:
I love how Bethesda are using this whole "bugs are funny" ruse to pull the wool over people's eyes because they know that Skyrim is going to have bugs up the wazoo, and with their fantastic QA skills will not be able to fix all of them, or even a good amount of them.

I distinctly remember them saying some bus are funny and kept, not all. Also, while Skyrim might have some bugs at the start, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to sort them out relatively quickly. It's not Obsidian making the game this time around, after all. To my memory, Morrowind and Oblivion had far less nerve-grating bugs at launch, than New Vegas.

And I disagree on that, it does matter how funny of a bug is and how severe it is, because it measures into how much you're willing to continue playing. Gothic 3 final boss dropping into an invisible hole and becoming unkillable? Yes, that's REALLY bad. Red Dead Redemption donkey lady and cougar man? Admit it, that's more amusing, than annoying.

Ok this was probably the most hilarious thing i have heard this week.
Now I'm really interested in getting skyrim...

ChupathingyX:

I can tell you right now, this isnt true. Sometimes, rare yes, a bug can be put into features, if it opens up something no one thought about. Cant talk about my own experances yet, but i know the Little head shake from DoG in Half-Life2 Ep2 was a bug, but they kept it in because it worked so much.

Zay-el:
It's not Obsidian making the game this time around, after all. To my memory, Morrowind and Oblivion had far less nerve-grating bugs at launch, than New Vegas.

New Vegas was made with Bethesda's engine, and the QA testing was done by Bethesda.

I do not believe that bugs should be kept in just because their funny, why not just make an easter egg out of it and then get rid of the bug?

Dem darn chickens! I knew they was up to something bad.

That is all

ChupathingyX:

Not really. For example, fighting games didn't have combos until Street Fighter II. And even then, it was mostly a bug because it wasn't supposed to happen. It turned into a core feature of the genre. Can't think of any other examples at the moment, but bugs aren't necessarily bad by virtue of being a bug.

ChupathingyX:
New Vegas was made with Bethesda's engine, and the QA testing was done by Bethesda.

I do not believe that bugs should be kept in just because their funny, why not just make an easter egg out of it and then get rid of the bug?

They patched most of it though and what they missed, the community finished up. I personally never go day 1 anyway, precisely because of the occasional bugs. I give everything at least a week and I'll probably do that with Skyrim, too.

I still think it really depends on how bad the bug is, but that might just be me. I'm used to most games having some area where they fail, so I'm a bit more lenient as long as the bug isn't close to game-breaking.

I can totally see this being made into a quest in a mod. Can't wait to download it~

It all makes sense now, the chickens in Zelda, these chickens, they are becoming smarter, soon they will know how to open doors, flee for your lives!

I love this. They should totally keep this in if they either give you the chance to stop the chicken before it reports you or give you the opportunity to blame the crime on the chicken when the guards show up!

Frostbite3789:

You mean I can steal an apple without being brutally murdered again?

Kopikatsu:

Not really. For example, fighting games didn't have combos until Street Fighter II. And even then, it was mostly a bug because it wasn't supposed to happen. It turned into a core feature of the genre. Can't think of any other examples at the moment, but bugs aren't necessarily bad by virtue of being a bug.

I see your point but that was an event that happened during the 80s and 90s, video games were a lot younger back then (and still kind of are, nowadays combos in fighting games are commonplace.

Now, if a developer seriously need to rely on bugs for humour and innovation, something is wrong. And in particular Bethesda, who have shown me personally that they aren't exactly very good when it comes to humour...at all.

Well, Skyrim wouldn't have been the first game where the chickens took it upon themselves to keep the hero in line. I just got a mental image of SNES-era Link smashing a pot and then suddenly getting swarmed with pissed-off cuccos, each one squawking "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!!"

This is excellent. Simply, purely, excellent. I'm going to love it if they actually -did- do some of those DLCs you suggested. That would also be excellence.

Vrach:
Never trust a chick to keep her mouth shut :P

Frostbite3789:

Welcome to several months ago - yep, you've got to be reported and there's also a separate bounty for each of the 9 or so areas.

Wow for some reason I missed that, that's freaking awesome!

It appears as those criminals have been...
*puts on sun glasses*
Cock Blocked.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~

aww

I thought it would be cooler if the chickens gave you info on stuff (you know, that kind of informant)

so Skyrim chicken or Legend of Zelda chickens, either they rat you out or they kill you

chickens are becoming more and more evil in vidya

ChupathingyX:

They're creating a massive open-world. They can't get rid of every bug because they can't account for every possible situation. Hell, even in games that are tightly linear, they still have to choose what bugs to fix and what to ignore.

Busard:

That is all

I love you. That is awesome.

Anyway, I'm glad this particular bug is getting fixed, being a stealth character would have been too hard.

They're creating a massive open-world. They can't get rid of every bug because they can't account for every possible situation. Hell, even in games that are tightly linear, they still have to choose what bugs to fix and what to ignore.

It isn't that (although Bethesda are one of the worst offenders), it's the fact that they are trying to come up with excuses as to why there are bugs in their games.

Of course they can't get rid of all bugs (then again, modders, in their own free time and without pay have managed to do a pretty damn good job), but the fact that they seem to be using them as a way of coming up with humour to me shows that Bethesda are incapable of creating their own comedic content, and judging by Fallout 3, Bethesda can't do comedy.

In the end though, it isn't the bugs that annoy me (i usually ignore them anyway), it's what Bethesda are doing about them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here