Neverwinter Becomes an MMO

Pages PREV 1 2

I'd honestly really hate to hear another D&D video game with just core races/classes. I'm so tired of that. I want non-standard, you jerks! Give me bugbears!

I just died a little inside.

Vrach:

Andy Chalk:
Because of all the changes, Neverwinter now isn't expected to be out until the end of 2012. Hope it works out to be worth the wait.

Somehow, I'm not holding my breath.

You really have to wonder why all these studios are going out of their way to produce MMOs they know are gonna suck and fail. I mean, granted, we have the same thing happening in every other genre, but how is anyone willing to put the money and time required to build an MMO into something that's gonna be a failure?

Just a theory, but maybe the job situation in the video game industry is just that bad that they can't focus on the long-term.

That excuse doesn't apply well to publishers who are bankrolling the MMO's, but for the developer looking for a job in this market, working on an MMO might be better then nothing. And considering the time it takes to create an MMO and then the time a developer will be around while it goes live (however short that period may be) to do tweaks/updates...well that is a considerable amount of time someone can be employed.

I want to know more before I start bringing down a mighty hammer of judgement upon it.

I'll make this very clear though I am bored to hell of the standard MMO style, that is the copy/paste of World of Warcraft. Pages of text to read before and after each quest which soon get ignored that then spiral the game into a grind fest with little matter to the setting or story at all.

I hope Neverwinter can try something a bit more interesting and also change up the gameplay a little as well, probably too much to ask though.

To this day the only MMO I've really sunk my teeth into was Guild Wars even though it did a lot of what World of Warcraft did it's the only MMO where I've felt like I had to think during instances and make tactical decisions about how to use my limited skill slots best.

At least it will be free to play so I can actually try it instead of feeling like I have to ignore it completely.

hansari:

Vrach:

Andy Chalk:
Because of all the changes, Neverwinter now isn't expected to be out until the end of 2012. Hope it works out to be worth the wait.

Somehow, I'm not holding my breath.

You really have to wonder why all these studios are going out of their way to produce MMOs they know are gonna suck and fail. I mean, granted, we have the same thing happening in every other genre, but how is anyone willing to put the money and time required to build an MMO into something that's gonna be a failure?

Just a theory, but maybe the job situation in the video game industry is just that bad that they can't focus on the long-term.

That excuse doesn't apply well to publishers who are bankrolling the MMO's, but for the developer looking for a job in this market, working on an MMO might be better then nothing. And considering the time it takes to create an MMO and then the time a developer will be around while it goes live (however short that period may be) to do tweaks/updates...well that is a considerable amount of time someone can be employed.

Oh yeah, I get why the developers are in - I hear bread tastes nice with some water. But for someone to green light a project and put money behind it (and we're not talking small amounts, whatever the MMO), it's just silly. At least with single player titles you can hope to catch some crowd, even a niche one and get some profit back during holiday sales and stuff, but an MMO project's got none of those going for it, in fact, it's a money drain even after the launch to maintain servers and everything.

And you really can't win whatever you go with when you're small and insignificant (as a lot of these studios are, no offense to them, but talking relative to the major players). If you try to innovate, you're really likely to screw something up (there's a reason even the major players are hesitant to try something really new in the MMO market atm, there's just not much we can do with the current technology), not to mention new players will not feel at home as they do with the standard MMOs. And if you try to just copy paste the major players, they'll always do better than you and it's not like they charge a lot for those far superior services.

SupahGamuh:

Now that I think about it... we desperately need a game with the Planescape setting ASAP.

+1

And I'm going to let you finish but Planescape Torment was the best RPG of all time.

ALL TIME!!

The game-industry just doesn't feature enough flying skulls these days...

spartandude:
may i ask is the original Neverwinter Nights a good game?

Yes, it's excellent, but it's important to put its excellence in context.

The original single player campaign and the first expansion pack are nothing special in terms of plot or characters, but the second expansion pack is brilliant on both fronts. However, it's the modding community that makes NWN such an amazing game. NWN comes with a game toolset and a number of tools that allow you not just to modify the appearance and gameplay but also to create whole new adventures. There are thousands of these available on nwvault.ign.com just waiting to be played. You can see some of the most popular ones here. In addition, there's a vibrant and active multi-player community that runs what are called Persistent Worlds (like mini MMOs); there are lots of PWs catering to all kinds of tastes, from role-play-heavy to intense combat. Here are some of the top PWs on the Vault.

Anyway, the original NWN is a steal on gog.com, so it's well worth checking out. The graphics may be nothing to write home about, particularly considering how much it has aged, but with all the fan-made modules and custom content it's one of the best-value games one can buy anywhere.

I'm hoping it's similar to Neverwinter Nights...

Got about 5 pessimistic rage thoughts running through my mind atm, but I hope they don't make a mess of it like so many other MMOs...

spartandude:
may i ask is the original Neverwinter Nights a good game?

It is my personal favorite game of all time. Yes, yes it is.

I'm not so attached to Forgotten Realms video games that I'll take the setting minus the D20 system. I'd rather go fool around in Eberron.

Actually, scratch that. I'm off to replay Icewind Dale. Screw Neverwinter.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here