Westboro Baptist Church, Wikileaks Troll Steve Jobs' Death

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Please stop reporting on everything Fox News and Westboro Baptist Church does, Escapist. There's no point. They do crazy things for controversy and attention, which they get from articles like this. Then people get angry and post a bunch, and finally leave satisfied they've proven THEY are smart and sophisticated unless those stupid guys. :/

There's no reason to even bother with either group. It validates them to be taken seriously enough to be reported on.

@Sparrow I know, what the hell, I'm really no fan of apple products and still don't see the sense in twice the price for the same hardware but really, show some respect people.

Khada:

Bento Box:

Khada:

Perhaps the question is should he care what some select people say if he knows he is doing a good thing? It would be a far cry better than doing nothing with a greater spendable wealth than the county he lived in.

See, I agree with the cynical angle that Aeishi took - after all, Bill Gates gives MIIIIIIIIIILLIONS to charity, and he still gets flak, just for being wealthy. What Jobs dis with his money, was his business. IT doesn't make him a worse person than Bill Gates.

It just makes Bill Gates a better person than Steve Jobs.

I think there is a flaw in your logic... I'll let you find it though. I'll wrap this up by saying, Bill Gates donates billions to charity and still cops flak, but....

1. Who cares, that's no reason to not do a good thing. People seem to have their priorities mixed up. You do it if it's right. Not because of how much approval you'll receive.
2. Bill Gates is a crazy SOB which is probably a big part of why he gets some negative comments. Do a little research into it and you'll see what I mean.
3. What else could someone possibly use that many billions of dollars for? It's beyond ridiculous to just hoard that to yourself.

Good day.

1. I don't believe I listed a reason not to do good things. What Steve Jobs does with hte money he owns, is his business -- because he owns the money he owns, or do you not believe in private ownership?

2. Instead of asking me to look this stuff up, why not provide examples? Granted, in my Bible-bashing, I haven't provided chapter and verse, but googling my claims (e.g., "bible rape 50 shekels" (try it!) will net results much less ambiguous and vague than "bill gates crazy." He's a little bit eccentric, but that doesn't make him any less the founder and greatest contributor to one of the world's largest charities.

3. I don't know what they could use all that money for, but then again I don't have that much money. Irrespective of what you or I might do with the money, it's not ours; it's his, and again, looking back to point number one, unless you simply don't believe in private ownership, you have to recognize that he gets to do what he wants with it, even if it is dickish.

Bento Box:

SinisterGehe:

Bento Box:

How abou instead of trying to kill Christians, you try to kill off faith and dogma? The problem is not the people - it's how the people think. Faith -- believing things without supporting evidence, or in the face of contrary evidence -- is a problem, because it sets all your ideas up for failure across the board. Dogma is a problem because it sets rules in stone, and disallows further examination of one's beliefs. Together these are a perfect recipe for crusades, witch hunts, the God's Liberation Army, and airplane-borne wrecking crews.

Instead of killing the people, why not inform them instead? There are brilliant people of faith , who could be so much more brilliant if their faith didn't get in the way of their contributions to humanity. Faith already has a high enough body count. Don't add to it.

How do you teach a person who doesn't want to be taught? I am sure if it would be that simple, the Age of Enlightenment would and the 1800ths with it science and everything would have driven religion off the face of the humanity. Fact is, you can't kill ideas...
It is easy for people who don't understand the complicated word to take a grip on something supernatural. If that supernatural brings the feeling on comfort and safety you can not just rip it off them. I am sure that you wouldn't want to give away your coat if you are feeling cold and I say that according to the thermometer it is not that cold here, you could survive without the coat easy - will you hand your coat to me? It has been seen in social science many times, no matter how violent or troubled the mother is, no matter how much she beats or hates her child the children will always get defensive when you talk bad about their mothers, it is the same in the nature, no matter how much the mother attacks the pup, it wil continue following the mother.

Religion is like that, it is safety and comfort for those who do not understand or want to understand, you can not educate them out of their beliefs, they will just retaliate - they will go defensive, they will do anything to make sure that their personal world view doesn't get shattered. When Christians were being hunted by romans, they went underground, they lied about their faith, they hide their religion from the sight of those who were out to get rid of it. Jews have been hunted because of their religion for thousands of years and what did they do... diaspora. They shattered in to thousands of small pieces than can not all be retaliated, they religion and ideology was saved.

If we think religion as some kind of bad idea, a ghost of mid, something that is bad and should be removed - which I do, for the most parts. It can be removed either by proving to the person that hes believes are wrong, hes way of thinking can be changed via 'therapy' - mind control. Melt, reinforce, set, but this method has been proven only to work for short period of time, the old ideas will submerge sooner or later. And as science knows, therapy doesn't work unless the subject embraces it, it wont work unless the subject wants it to work. We can not change the set mind state of a human, it must change it itself. We can not force religion to disappear, we can only offer other answer to the mystery of life and existence of everything and hope that those who still hang on to the old views and beliefs will take them and embrace them.

It has been proven in the history that you can not kill ideas - ideologies to be exact. There will always be someone who survives with the the ideas or someone who finds them again. Humans have for thousands of years tried to eradicate views that they have not approved with, they have all survived until they disappear in to the mist of majority. No one hangs on the old beliefs of Kalevala - the epic poetry and mythology of Finland. But almost every Finn can recite you how the basic plot and stories go, we know them, but hundreds of years of education and force feeding Christianity did it's job, no one anymore lingers to the old ideas. The Finns were never happy with their forced beliefs and that is why out country soon has a majority of atheist and people of do not belong to a church/religion.

We can not force ideas out of people's heads, we can only offer other ideas and hope. But we can remove the people who hold these ideas, but they can remove us as much as we can remove them.

I dream of eradicating religion of this world, I wish people would see the reality in its whole beauty and not cloud their views by supernatural filters. But I can only dream, but I will never act violently towards anyone for their ideas, I will not go as low as religion has gone in order to force people to their dogmas. I will give a warm welcome to anyone who wants to accept my view, but I will retaliate - intellectually - who tries to force theirs on me.

OK, I'm really tired of typing right now, and probably won't return to this thread until real late tonight, or tomorrow morning-ish, but I wanna give a quick response to this.

I agree, Religion is a problem, but it's a symptom of the real issue: faith. Religions don't have evidence to back them up, so they rely on indoctrinating people very early on that 'faith' is a good thing. The way to defeat this (and granted, it certainly won't be perfectly effective) is by countering that indoctrination early on, too, by teaching important stuff like critical thinking and philosophy of science. Even if this doesn't work for everyone, it certainly will make the problem less than it is, and even for the people who don't get 'better (for lack of a better term in my word-addled mind),' the answer is not to crush them. Let them run their course -- push back with the better ideas of course, but killing them just makes them martyrs, never mind that it's a shitty thing to do.

I'm going to go somewhere that isn't a keyboard for a while now. *shakes his poor hands violently*

You know we are both saying the same thing here. The only difference between me and you is the fact that I want religion to be removed on the term of the believers, they must realize what they are "doing wrong". We must not use the same methods as the religion does, 'brainwashing' that is. We must offer tools for the children to realize a different world view than the religious one, we can not force it to them, it is against every human rights statement and most constitutional laws that I know of. We must give education of science and philosophy, critical thinking and everything like that. They are part of Finnish schools from the first grade on. But the problem regions - pardon me - are USA and soon UK. The school systems are ineffective and almost bad, for the parts that I have observed while visiting these places. Unless we can make these schools better, the education content better and the motivation of the students better so that they want to learn instead of hanging with their old beliefs.

This is a fight that can not be won with forcing facts down the throats of the children. We must let them realize it them selfs, it is much more motivating and rewarding that way.

Ken Sapp:
I know of one town, Brandon, MO, that pulled off the best counter to WBC that I have yet heard of.

The morning of the funeral there were many local trucks parked behind all of the WBC members cars at the hotel, effectively keeping them from leaving. And a few members who were more persistent were detained by the local police as possible witnesses to an unspecified crime. When the funeral was over all the parked trucks left the hotel parking lot and those who were detained for statements were allowed to leave. Peaceful counter protest by a town defeats Westboro.

I am sure that Apple fans could manage something like that for Steve.

I would do more then that, but nothing on their servers is of value to anyone.

I'm tempted to write her a letter in PM asking her if she actually realises how stupid she is. No seriously, it's just astonishing...

/stab
/cthulu
/napalm
/cat on stick
/forced to use a horrible 80s computer for the rest of your life
pick one westbro

Just punch here in the face. She deserves it.

This is sick!

Religion at its worst; churchgoers outside Westboro Baptist Church should go to the funeral and counter this annoyance.

xitel:

After several people pointed out the irony of using the product created by the same man she was damning, Phelps responded, "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"

God created the iPhone. The iPhone was created by Apple. Thus, we can assume that according to the WBC, Apple is God. Now, Steve Jobs was the creator of Apple. Thus, if Apple is God, then Steve Jobs created God, thus making him a step higher than God. WBC is protesting against Steve Jobs. meaning that WBC is protesting against the man who created God. Logic. It just... it doesn't work with WBC. It can't.

you are, my friend, trying to drown a fish

I wish I had that "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" picture
it fits perfectly here

Idiocy in action, you can't really do anything but laugh at these pathetic goits. Well, that and point out their really stupid moments of stupidity.

xitel:

After several people pointed out the irony of using the product created by the same man she was damning, Phelps responded, "Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"

God created the iPhone. The iPhone was created by Apple. Thus, we can assume that according to the WBC, Apple is God. Now, Steve Jobs was the creator of Apple. Thus, if Apple is God, then Steve Jobs created God, thus making him a step higher than God. WBC is protesting against Steve Jobs. meaning that WBC is protesting against the man who created God. Logic. It just... it doesn't work with WBC. It can't.

You... made my day with that post :D

"A real illness like cancer", eh?

Yeah that HIV thing is no problem at all, you know.

WBC wants attention. The best way to get rid of them is if we completely ignore them. They were protesting at the school where I work (one of the buildings we use is also a Jewish Y). They WANT people to yell at them because it'll give them more attention. THEY want people to inflict violence on them because then they can sue. If we want them to go away, we need to start pretending they don't exist.

I'm sure plenty of people have said it by now, but hey it never hurts to say it again. If God invented the iPhone don't that make Jobs God? Or Jesus if we count the inventor of the telephone as God.

AAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA H-

but seriously, my condolences to S. Jobs' family, and many respects to a pioneer.

"@MargieJPhelps
MargiePhelps
bit.ly/okNcvP Beautiful! cnews publishes Westboro plan to picket Steve Jobs funeral. Warn the living:no Jobs worship! Fear God! Obey!
6 Oct via web
Retweeted by gay4hellokitty and 19 others"

"Retweeted by gay4hellokitty"

Hell yeah.

Sparrow:
I hate people some times. Sure, I wasn't a fan of Jobs, but he's freaking dead you heartless asshats.

Yeah, I feel the same way but to show up at a man's funeral just to piss on his grave is disgusting!

good grief not these trolls again

not giving God glory (or anything positive) by picketing!

duchaked:
good grief not these trolls again

not giving God glory (or anything positive) by picketing!

Seriously. If a Christian knows that someone didn't die a Christian, they should not mock them after death, they should mourn them. Westborough doesn't seem to have noticed that part of their own faith.

Most hated family in the western hemisphere? Go figure.

When idiots on the intertubes got your blood in a boil,
Trashing other people's hard work and toil,
They're acting like gits,
On the dead, they're practically taking shits,
It almost makes you want to fry them in motor oil

What do you do in a situation such as this?
Do you tell them to walk off a cliff into an abyss?
NO it only makes their trolling stronger,
And makes them do it longer,
Pretty soon you want to make their heads look like cheese that is Swiss

Stop what you're doing, don't try to reason with them,
Because pretty soon, you want to stab your own brain stem,
Just ignore them, for fucks sake,
Don't threaten to feed them poisoned cake,
Or make them bathe in rotten phlegm

You see, that's how trolls feed
They use backwards logic bad enough to make your brain bleed
In an attempt to get attention
They put niceness in cryogenic suspension
Because to live attention is what trolls need

So please, if you should come across a troll,
Don't tell it to swallow a *censored* whole,
Just leave it alone,
It's just a mindless drone,
That really needs to learn some self-control.

You expect respect from wikileaks?

No more free publicity for those simpletons, please. Just start removing all mention of them from this site. I'm tired of hearing about the Phelps' family, I'm tired of them making global headlines, I'm tired of them shitting all over the reputation of the United States' real conservatives, real churches and real pastors.

R.I.P Steve, hope you're in App Heaven.

lockgar:
You see, what you should have done, is not report on the Westboro Baptist Church. Since that is giving them the free publicity to be any actual annoyance. Don't feed the trolls?

Agreed. Move along folks- tired of seeing these morons. Then again, me posting and bringing this up to the top of the threads is probably part of the problem.
*moves along, goes to watch more ZP*

twistedheat15:
Can we stop just talking about wbc protestes and start posting snipers at any location they think of coming too? Ppl that stupid shouldn't be getting attention, they should be getting .50 incineration rounds to the face.

That's a great idea for a thread. What would you kill the WBC with, if it were legal?

Bento Box:

Khada:

Aeshi:

Why should he have done that? so the masses can go "oh it's just a PR stunt that doesn't count" and then go right back to bashing him?

Perhaps the question is should he care what some select people say if he knows he is doing a good thing? It would be a far cry better than doing nothing with a greater spendable wealth than the county he lived in.

See, I agree with the cynical angle that Aeishi took - after all, Bill Gates gives MIIIIIIIIIILLIONS to charity, and he still gets flak, just for being wealthy. What Jobs dis with his money, was his business. IT doesn't make him a worse person than Bill Gates.

It just makes Bill Gates a better person than Steve Jobs.

One thing that is important to note is that Steve Job's salary was only $1. Another thing to note is that Jobs is very private about his personal life, and there have been many rumors about large donations he has made. Both men have done amazing things for humanity. Bill Gates has made some amazing progress in eradicating diseases in impoverished areas, and improving education, but without Steve we wouldn't have most of the advancements that have come to define our entire generations technological achievements. Both men will be remembered for thousands of years, for different reasons.

Zing:
Assange could lose a lot of support with stupid moves like that. :\

I'd also like to point out something else with the WBC thing, God didn't create the iPhone...Steve Jobs did.

Meh same thing.

Awexsome:
It's one hell of a troll when even troll logic fails to explain their actions. It kinda makes you wonder if it really is all just the most dedicated troll or if they've really been completely brainwashed into such stupidity.

It's almost like they upgraded to vista...

SelectivelyEvil13:
WBC: Have some godammned respect, a man just died and all you can think about is spouting off bigotry. I can't wait to protest their funerals, and you can damn well bet there will be nightly return visits involving flaming bags of dog excrement.

"Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell. God created iPhone for that purpose! :)"

And so it became, the Westoboro Lunatic's iPhone broke, if not before releasing hundreds of compromising digital photos contradicting every view espoused by the villian. - The New Fuctimus Westborus Testament

Who the hell are the "rebels" being referred to, anyway? Last time I checked, the WBC is rebelling against the realms of sanity and decency.

Honestly, is religious persecution that wrong in a case when the religious cult in question is so agreeably bad?

You know, believe whatever the fuck you want, but when you want to cite a 2000 year old book in which the entire human race expands from two people, one of which is the rib of the other, and a 600 year old man fits billions of animals onto a boat that he and his family built, and keeps them alive there until the flood of water that simply materialized in an amount capable of covering the entire earth has subsided as a reason to picket peoples funerals goes beyond any definition of insanity we have. Especially when the people they are picketing are decent, hard working individuals who simply didn't play into the vision of the world they saw.

enzilewulf:
I know that they are attention seeking ass holes and I am just giving them what they want, but can some one please just kill them all ready? Come on it will be a honest "mistake". In fact lets just get one of those Toyota's with faulty breaks.

Lets just let them drive millions of cars on the off chance that they get one of the 5 or 6 that were faulty. There has to be a more efficient way to do this.

twistedheat15:
Can we stop just talking about wbc protestes and start posting snipers at any location they think of coming too? Ppl that stupid shouldn't be getting attention, they should be getting .50 incineration rounds to the face.

As tempting as it sounds, I'm afraid you'd only create a martyr, followed by more zealots. Isnt that what christianity was all about in the old days?

I like it how other groups gave Jobs respect, though they might not have gotten along too well while he was alive. I really like this greenpeace blogpost about him...

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/Cool-IT/steve-jobs-a-worthy-opponent-a-valuable-ally/blog/37215/

I mean, seriously, like his tech or not, we all have to agree that he was brilliant at what he did, and a great source of innovation for the whole industry.

brainslurper:

Zing:
Assange could lose a lot of support with stupid moves like that. :\

I'd also like to point out something else with the WBC thing, God didn't create the iPhone...Steve Jobs did.

Meh same thing.

But Steve Jobs was real..

I'm thinking we show up and show these guys some miracles. Like the kind that will convince their half-functioning brain that we are using magic. Just to troll them.

Why has no one picketed them while they picketed something? Either that or someone should beat the shit out of them. I guess that shows human kindness that these funeral goers havnt yet. Although they are well within their rights to.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here